THE BROWNS BOARD

Rooney Rule - Who for that ?

WVBrownsfan

Im just curiouse on what the parameters are for "the Rooney Rule" For interviewing Minority HC canidates and is it narrowed down to interviewing black canidates or does this include Hispanic americans as well?...

Im just curiouse on what the parameters are for "the Rooney Rule" For interviewing Minority HC canidates and is it narrowed down to interviewing black canidates or does this include Hispanic americans as well?...

I'd imagine any minority would do. Although there aren't many hispanic/asian coaches out there that would be a legit interview.

it is a dumb rule period. can we say reverse discrimination? because of this rule it gives younger black assistant coaches an edge over those younger white assistant coaches. 4 or 5 years down the road the guy who has already been interviewed will have an edge over the others in the interviewing process.

of course it is named after one of the dumbest members in the NFL.

it is a dumb rule period. can we say reverse discrimination? because of this rule it gives younger black assistant coaches an edge over those younger white assistant coaches. 4 or 5 years down the road the guy who has already been interviewed will have an edge over the others in the interviewing process.

not true about the leg up. Many of the guys they interview never get more than an interview through several seasons before they wise up and refuse to be the token "rooney rule" guy.

Huh?

The Rooney Rule is only "dumb" when circumvented through tokenism, yes, and as such it can be "dumb." But your rationale as to why couldn't be further off. The rule is dumb because it doesn't work and creates situations like this where we are wondering which minority dude we are going to "interview" to "satisfy" the rule. Here's a decent article showing how the Rule has actually worked.

You're an absolute chimpanzee, Player. Sorry.

What the rooney rule really needs to be is any potential owner must pass the rooney football management test...that would eliminate twits like the lerners from buying teams and would be a useful rule...lol

Im not against the rooney rule but if an owner already has someone in mind regardless of the color of their skin that owner should state that and proceed on...ignoring the rule but really that rule isnt needed a black guy that has the credentials can apply for the job if he wishes so the rule is kind of hypocritic in one way we dont live in the 30s anymore...

The Rooney's extreme libralism shows from the rule the had put in. There is no requirement to interview a white coach.

Huh?

The Rooney Rule is only "dumb" when circumvented through tokenism, yes, and as such it can be "dumb." But your rationale as to why couldn't be further off. The rule is dumb because it doesn't work and creates situations like this where we are wondering which minority dude we are going to "interview" to "satisfy" the rule. Here's a decent article showing how the Rule has actually worked.

You're an absolute chimpanzee, Player. Sorry.

mz the pussy, I disagree that the article shows how the Rooney rule worked in Tomlin's case - he wouldn't have been passed over because he was black (that's what the rule is to prevent, isn't it?), as Rooney himself stated. He got the opportunity BECAUSE he was black.

Seems kind of discriminatory to all of those white guys who didn't get a chance to interview and were passed over because they were 'just another guy who was an assistant coach.' Any of them may have been even more impressive.

It sure would have looked bad for the author of the rule to hire 'another' white guy, though. Not that I'm implying anything...

I don't think the article was about Tomlin's case in particular but about growing number of minority HC in general.

That's correct, but the problem is that it cited a specific example (Tomlin) of it 'working'. In that case it didn't 'work' in the intended way (ie, to stop discrimination, unless Dan Rooney is secretly a Grand Wizard in the KKK).

Honestly, I can't imagine anyone who runs a near billion dollar business using anything other than qualifications to hire anyone.

Tomlin himself said, "I think it's given me an opportunity to present myself maybe in some situations that I wouldn't have had."

It's the getting the interview that's important. After that, it's up to the candidate to make the most of it.

Yes, but he gets that opportunity ONLY because of the color of his skin, not because of his accomplishments. Rooney admits the only reason he looked at him is because he was required to - he apparently didn't stand out enough from his peers to warrant consideration. The rule makes it so that one race is 'disfavored' over others.

To me, that's just wrong.

Nobody is saying you have to hire the minority candidate. Rooney wasn't forced to hire him.

If he wasn't well-spoken, accomplished, etc, he would have never gotten the job.

Nobody is saying you have to hire the minority candidate. Rooney wasn't forced to hire him.

If he wasn't well-spoken, accomplished, etc, he would have never gotten the job.

I agree that's why he ultimately got the job, but the rule itself is supposed to address some perceived racism amongst coaches in the NFL. This specific 'example' doesn't show the rule working to stamp out racism because Tomlin wasn't being discriminated against.

Why should ANYONE get an interview simply because they aren't white?

Yes, but he gets that opportunity ONLY because of the color of his skin, not because of his accomplishments. Rooney admits the only reason he looked at him is because he was required to - he apparently didn't stand out enough from his peers to warrant consideration. The rule makes it so that one race is 'disfavored' over others.

To me, that's just wrong.

That's just silly. Name one white HC candidate who has been "disadvantaged" by the rule. Also, if it were true that no-one would have felt that Tomlin "warrented consideration" without the rule, then that would simply demonstrate that everyone who has made a coaching change in the past few years didn't know what they were doing.

Then again, Wade Phillips and Norv Turner keep getting interviewed and handed jobs, so maybe that last one is true anyway.

Dennis

Tomlin wasn't being discriminated against, per se, but the feeling was minority candidates simply weren't getting enough looks. That's all.

Why should ANYONE get an interview simply because they aren't white?

It isn't like they're interviewing Joe Public off the streets here. And since there isn't a finite number of interviews allotted per team per coaching vacancy, it isn't like white candidates are getting their interviews taken away from them. And since there is no hiring policy enforced, every candidate has the same opportunity to impress the prospective employer.

I don't see the problem here.

Anyway, looks like Mel Tucker is our "Rooney Rule" interview.

Pathetic.

And somewhere a Tiny Tim-like caucasian quarterback coach who just wants a shot in this cruel world looks at the broken halves of his homemade crutch, gives one last cough into a filthy rag, and shudders his last in the gutter.

Dennis

Sarah Palin was right.

And somewhere a Tiny Tim-like caucasian quarterback coach who just wants a shot in this cruel world looks at the broken halves of his homemade crutch, gives one last cough into a filthy rag, and shudders his last in the gutter.

Dennis

Sarah Palin was right.

What was Sarah Palin right about?

Archived