THE BROWNS BOARD

Shanahan fired?!

DestinFunk

Adam Schefter

Broncos fire long-time coach Shanahan

Posted: Adam Schefter | Adam Schefter | Tags: Denver Broncos, Mike Shanahan

The blockbuster of the coaching season just came in: The Denver Broncos fired Mike Shanahan.

Shanahan had three years and upwards of $20 million remaining on his contract.

Shanahan was the longest tenured coach in Broncos franchise history.

it's definitely a very, very interesting albeit unexpected option. the zone blocking he runs would likely go over well here; we need to be able to run in the winter and we have at least two or three ideal linemen for his scheme.

his defenses have always been a bit lackluster, though. his choice of DC would be crucial. the cleveland castaway crew he had as his d-line in denver was deplorable.

This isn't all to shocking. Shanahan lead Broncos really haven't done anything since Elway retired.

I was listening to ESPN on the way home from work this afternoon, and some caller was talking about the Broncos situation. He said that other than Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall, this team had no one. Zero. He thought this was a pretty good job by Shanahan to even get the Broncos into the position that they were, meaning down to the last game for a playoff spot. That said, yes, I know they collapsed at the end, and yes, they played in a crap division but still - over a 16 game haul they were still there at the end.

Should this be a legit option for us. Shanahan has been a decent coach. Did win the big one. But hasn't done much lately. But then again, it's not always the coach either.

Not that many coaches out there with one Super Bowl ring, never mind two of them.

I know one thing about Shanahan (sp) and that he could generate some productivity out of the non-existent running game.

Intriquing possibility, IMHO.

This is huge, Shanahan is a proven HC and would do a great job here imo. We could pick up a RB in the draft that he sees fit. What he did with the Denver team is great, yes they choked at the end of the season. But they had no RBs, a horrid defense and a QB who is Elway one game and Ryan Leaf the next.

He definitely goes to the top of the list. I mean...he takes up the whole list 1 through 10. Everyone else (including Cowher) starts at 11th, by comparison. I hope there is mutual interest between he and Lerner/Pioli.

-Al

Guest ATENEARS

Shanahan's Record

8-8 ... 2008

7-9

9-7

13-3

10-6

10-6

9-7

8-8

11-5

6-10 (first year without Elway)

14-2

12-4

13-3

8-8 ... 1995

=====

146-91 overall record

7-playoff appearances

2-Super Bowl wins

Denver reporter on ESPN Radio just now says he's in the middle of building a 35,000 square ft mansion in Denver.

He may just take the payout and ride into the sunset.

That's what I'm afraid of...

The possibility of Shanahan coming to Cleveland is too good to be true.

-Al

Guest ATENEARS

Cowher had a slightly better record than Shanahan.

Shan / Cowher

8-8 ... 8-8

7-9 ... 11-5

9-7 ... 15-1

13-3 ... 6-10

10-6 ... 10-5-1

10-6 ... 13-3

9-7 ... 9-7

8-8 ... 6-10

11-5 ... 7-9

6-10 ... 11-5

14-2 ... 10-6

12-4 ... 11-5

13-3 ... 12-4

8-8 ... 9-7

--- ... 11-5

Shanahan had Elway ... Cowher had steroids and ref pay-offs.

His style is not the best fit (he likes 4-3 ) and likes to pound the rock with zone blocking ...we need a better Center for that to happen...

anyways...i would blow it all up if he was the guy building..he is WAYYYYY more apealing then Cowher...Fresh Blood...

Guest Aloysius
His style is not the best fit (he likes 4-3 ) and likes to pound the rock with zone blocking ...we need a better Center for that to happen...

We probably need a new center anyway. And our left side is perfectly suited for a ZBS scheme.

But you're right about his defense: not necessarily a 4-3 issue, but he needs a very strong DC.

NFL Network also just talked with Terell Davis who claims hes the bets play caller in the NFL ...and they said Pioli /Shanahan would win some games with a big smile.

Just when I thought the Jets lost their minds for firing a Head Coach that wins - I couldn't believe Denver fired Shanahan. WTF? He's SOOOOO GOOD Kubiak hired Shanahan's son as his OC.

- Tom F.

Shanahan has the total control ego. He was HC and GM. He does have that same irritating Asshole attitude, but he is a proven winner. One thing for sure is he won't be interviewing for the Oakland job.

One complaint that I heard about him was that he drafted like Butch Davis. He laid out a draft board with the scouts and when it came time to draft he went off the board and took a flyer on a guy. I remember Clarrett and people almost shit.

Reports from ESPN and the Denver Post is that he is willing to take the $20 million and sit back and see what comes up next year.

Shanahan's Record

8-8 ... 2008

7-9

9-7

13-3

10-6

10-6

9-7

8-8

11-5

6-10 (first year without Elway)

14-2

12-4

13-3

8-8 ... 1995

=====

146-91 overall record

7-playoff appearances

2-Super Bowl wins

Randy should be waving piles of cash under Shanahan's nose as we speak. The guy gets the most out of his talent and is a proven winner.

Our 4-12 team had more talent this season than his 8-8 team. We had Denver beat in that Thursday night game until Shanny adjusted and Homely-O had no answer.

He's my pick for HC with a bullet. Get him here......NOW!

Doug

Guest Masters
LOVE Shanahan. Can't believe they fired him with only two players on their entire roster (Cutler and Marshall). The GM is the one who should be grilled. That roster is EMPTY.

They did fire their GM. Shanahan was both. That was the problem.

Guest Aloysius
They did fire their GM. Shanahan was both. That was the problem.

Ted Sundquist was their GM until last year, when he took the bullet for their bad drafts.

Shanahan's '08 draft was actually pretty good: franchise LT in Ryan Clady, #2 WR in Eddie Royal, promising RB/FB/h-back in Peyton Hillis. But no help on defense, except for UDFA OLB-SS Wesley Woodyard.

He definitely shouldn't have full personnel control in his next job, but I bet he'll help his GM find some great offensive players in the draft.

Archived