THE BROWNS BOARD

Pioli, MANGINI (and RAC?)

WPB Dawg Fan

Here is the newest from Mary Kay Cabot. It is interesting all the connections between the guys we are looking at...

Cleveland Browns will interview former Jets coach Eric Mangini

by Mary Kay Cabot

Tuesday December 30, 2008, 2:01 PM

CLEVELAND -- The Browns will interview fired New York Jets coach Eric Mangini soon, possibly today or Wednesday, a league source said today.

Mangini, who began his NFL career with the Browns in 1994 as a ballboy and public relations assistant, was fired by the Jets Monday after they went 9-7. The Browns fired head coach Romeo Crennel on Monday.

In his three seasons with the Jets, Mangini went 23-25, including a 10-6 mark in 2006 and 4-12 record in 2007. He earned three Super Bowl rings as a defensive assistant in New England under Bill Belichick, who gave him his start in Cleveland. He is also the brother-in-law of Indians general manager Mark Shapiro.

Mangini, who had one year left on his Jets contract, is one of several Browns head coaching candidates, including Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan and Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett.

Mangini, 37, fell out of favor with Jets owner Woody Johnson and general manager Mike Tannenbaum, but the players lined up at his door to offer him support after he was fired. Just a month ago, Mangini had the Jets in first place, but they lost four of five games to fall from playoff contention.

Mangini would be intriguing to the Browns because he loved working here, has head coaching experience and is well-versed in the Super Bowl winning ways of the Patriots.

The Browns are also going hard after Patriots Executive Vice President Scott Pioli, who worked with Mangini in New England. The two were even in Cleveland together in 1995 and spent most of their careers together. But it remains to be seen what their relationship is following Spygate -- when Mangini accused the Patriots of taping the Jets defensive signals last year.

One league source said, "I think it could be worked out.''

Mangini is also still very close with Crennel from their time in New England. In fact, there was some talk that Crennel would join Mangini in New York if he kept his job with the Jets. If Mangini got the Browns job, it wouldn't be far-fetched to think he'd ask Crennel to stay on as defensive coordinator. Crennel indicated Monday that he would be open to that kind of situation, depending on the head coach.

Mangini was hailed as a young Belichick, his mentor, before the two had their rift. Pioli's interview is not expected to take place today, but perhaps tomorrow, a source said.

McDaniels would be another leading candidate if Pioli is hired.

I think with the departure of Savage, the Rex Ryan option took a major hit. I also think Spags is on too many radars and the Browns are looking to move forward quickly.

Right now, I would say the three MOST LIKELY choices for HC are McDaniels/Mangini/Ferentz as they all have ties to Pioli...and the Browns.

Here is the newest from Mary Kay Cabot. It is interesting all the connections between the guys we are looking at...

I think with the departure of Savage, the Rex Ryan option took a major hit. I also think Spags is on too many radars and the Browns are looking to move forward quickly.

Right now, I would say the three MOST LIKELY choices for HC are McDaniels/Mangini/Ferentz as they all have ties to Pioli...and the Browns.

I think the Spygate thing was more about Mangini and Belichick then anything to do with Pioli. Belichick was very upset when Mangini left after only one year as his DC. He left Belichick in a bind and Belichick was letting him have it in the media. I haven't heard anything about Pioli and Mangini having a problem.

Lerner's eyes and ears really perked up when he was told at his news conference that Mangini was fired. He has said that Mangini is on his "A" list. Then again, it will be Pioli's call. So, I'd say McDaniel, Mangini and Schwartz. I don't think Ferentz gets a call. Of course, we will also have a "Rooney Rule" candidate interviewing.

I think the Spygate thing was more about Mangini and Belichick...

And let us not forget, Mangini was right! Bill was illegally taping. It's not like it was a false accusation. The Pats were in the wrong, not the Jets.

I'd be more comfortable with a football man, like Pioli, being involved along with Lerner in the HC decision making process. Lerner is just taking his big checkbook and heading out to the media labeled top dogs.

I gotta say, the Ferentz pick feels unlikely to me. It's being reported in Boston but not Cleveland. We'd certainly get a ton of "huh?" from the major media and the rest of the league, because he was hot in 2002... but not now.

The Mangini thing is a little intriguing because he's experienced and he did pretty well in NY. I think the blame should have been hung on Favre for the collapse... but I also question Mangini's odd demeanor.

Shep,

Could you elaborate on what you mean by 'odd demeanor' on the part of Mangini? I know I have always been struck by how quiet and soft-spoken he seems to be.

Mr Rapeteam Lernot has set the table but why hasnt pioli even washed his hands to eat..?

After a closer look at mangini i think he would be fine the jets butt raped him period he didnt do a bad enough job to deserve getting fired..

He will most likely end up as detroits HC..I looked at some footage of the jets and he does play the cover 2 quite soft just like romeo not a plus to a browns fan..

If pioli does sign on i really hope he gets mcdaniels to come with him a young bright fiery coach thats on the same page as the gm/vp will be a huge plus..

who are these mysterious "league source" people? Whoever he is, he's friggin busy, every media outlet is quoting him, and he likes to change his story by a name or two every time he talks to someone. Hey I went to 8 games this season, does that make me a "league source"? If so then:

This just in from a "league source": Lerner made an offer to Pioli, who has committed to Mangini as HC, McDaniels as OC and Romeo as DC. The dream team is assembled in NE Cleveland. Cleveland has also decided to change its name to New Cleveland in honor of the Pats and Cleveland Browns Stadium has been renamed to Bilichecks Old Coaches stadium.

I guess the point of this post is that its cool that we are looking at a successful organization for talent, and its great they all used to be in Cleveland, but something scares me about this whole move NE to Cleveland thing.

I gotta say, the Ferentz pick feels unlikely to me. It's being reported in Boston but not Cleveland. We'd certainly get a ton of "huh?" from the major media and the rest of the league, because he was hot in 2002... but not now.

The Mangini thing is a little intriguing because he's experienced and he did pretty well in NY. I think the blame should have been hung on Favre for the collapse... but I also question Mangini's odd demeanor.

Ferentz would be an AWFUL pick, IMHO. Lots of sizzle but little, to no, beef.

Listening to Mike Francesa from WFAN in NY the past few days, there is a lot of scuttlebut about Mangini not inspiring his team and his players not playing hard for him. I don't follow the team close enough to know but I do know the press has been after him the past month or so.

Zero sacks against an inept Seattle team with the playoffs on the line. The Jets didn't show up. At home against the Dolphins, the Jets, once again, didn't show up - especially in the second half.

The Boston media Fox Sports New England is questioning McDaniel's readiness to run a team. Remember that Weiss ran the offense and, I believe, another coach ran the offense prior to McDaniel. Green and, perhaps, a risky pick at this point.

Time will tell.

No Ferentz!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Let's not forget that the Jets were 4-12 last year, projected to go 8-8 this year, finished 9-7, and should have finished with a better record. Mangini knew which players he wanted, and made Tannenbaum get them. I love that he called out Farve, because a lot of Favre's decisions sucked.

If Mangini and Pioli come in, and are friendly, I think they can work great together. If RAC is the DC, I don't see that as a problem at all. Pioli and Pangini would try to build this team after the Patriots, and I don't think many people know that defense better than RAC.

The offense has the talent to compete. If Pioli, Mangini and RAC can just focus on the defense, they can make this team pretty damn good in a short ammount of time.

One thing we New Yorkers who take sports seriously know is NEVER listen to Mike Francesca. The Jets lost because Brett Favre made HORRIBLE decisions, and the offense felt it had to go through him to be succesful. Brett is, unfortunatly, bigger than the team itself. It worked in Green Bay, but the Jets have a better team than the Packers. Brett Farve took that team away from a great running attack and forced them to put the ball in the air, on his bad shoulder, and into defenders arms. It's not Mangini's fault that Brett couldn't complete a 3 yard pass, but instead put it over his reciver head, giving the Dolphin's an easy INT late in the game.

Ignoring the Rape Post and going back to the one before it...

Yeah, Mangini comes off legitimately shy, quiet, and uncomfortable... and I'm a little weirded out by that for The Man in Charge.

On the other hand, when I read that Favre was upset with Mangini for "calling him out" for stupid throws, I began reconsidering him (!). I'm not a huge Favre fan, as you can tell.

Could be that Mangini doesn't like public speaking, mikes, lights, etc., but has no problem communicating with his team.

So Favre was upset, huh? Big deal. I give Mangini all kinds of credit for calling a spade a spade. That may not win points with Favre, but had to score big with the rest of the guys doing their jobs out there. That's the kind of accountability we need around here. I'm going to stop short of endorsing Mangini, but that is exactly the kind of brutal honesty some of the 'superstars' we have need to hear. Especially one who played his college ball somewhere north of here.

then there is this report on Mangini that basically says he is cryptonite and nobody will take him on as a coach...

...except it doesn't take into account the fact that Mangini and Pioli are friends...and Mangini has ties to Cleveland...and that he worked with McDaniels as well...so the entire crew could end up here...along with RAC.

Stranger things have happened.

I'm not a huge Mangini fan. I'd rather see him as the DC than HC with Pioli bringing McDaniels with him. I don't fault Mangini for the Jets collapse at the end of this season. Favre has to shoulder the majority of the blame there. I would simply rather see the Browns go in a different direction. Let a young, eager, passionate guy come in and lite a fire under this team. If Pioli thinks that McDaniels is the man, then I say sign him and let's get this thing turned around. I just hope that Lerner doesn't mess this one up!

Archived