THE BROWNS BOARD

The Official Nfl Cba/lockout Thread

SJ_Browns

I am not usually one for cutting and pasting articles, but I thought this might be encouraging:NFL players and owners are have reconvened for a round of labor talks for a third consecutive week.

This time the two sides are holding their discussions on the Maryland shore, just outside Washington, D.C. according to Albert Breed of the NFL network.

The talks present a good news / bad news scenario. The potential bad news is the return of lawyers to the negotiating table after a two week absence where significant progress had reportedly been made. There is concern they may throw cold water on the proceedings.

On the flip side, the both the NFLPA and the league are in “deal making mode” according to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen. That report suggests the return of the lawyers could signify the framework of a new Collective Bargaining Agreement is being drafted. At the very least they are talking more details and specifics–a great sign a new deal is forthcoming.

In advance of this week’s session, the NFL sent a memo to owners Monday night requesting they plan to extend next week’s pre-planned meetings in Chicago. Several team GM’s believe a vote will be taken on the framework of a new CBA at that time according to Adam Schefter.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I side with the owners. They are being pushed by the players reps who seem to want "it all"...

well, now, the players should sue their reps for "malpractice". Anyways, I should have posted this here:

blurb from rotoworld:

Report: Framework of a labor deal in place The players will reportedly receive 48 percent of "all revenue" under the framework of the labor deal currently being discussed.

NFLPA chief DeMaurice Smith insists the players only saw 53 percent of the revenues under the previous agreement, though 60 percent is the number most commonly cited. Either way, it's obvious that the NFLPA has lost quite a bit of leverage the past couple of months. Both sides are counting on increased revenue from a 16-game Thursday night schedule due to begin in 2012. The proposed deal does include a rookie wage scale, though it's still being "tweaked." The new league year is still expected to begin in mid-July. Source: ESPN.com

• 1 month later...

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the NFL and NFLPA* have "reached agreement on the remaining points needed" in the CBA negotiations, and it's considered a formality that the players will approve the 10-year deal.

He reports the NFLPA* is "making plans for a major press conference Monday." It's unclear what day the deal will be officially ratified, but Schefter says "training camp and free agency are likely to begin the same day." Expect more details to emerge throughout the day. Source: ESPN

Well it is official now. So I can officially start to get excited about the Browns. Even though I never thought there would be no football. I held my usual excitement for an upcoming season at bay. Hope we can make a smooth transition in this short time.

Archived