THE BROWNS BOARD

Lerner says Job is Pioli's

YtownBrownsBacker

Randy Lerner has told the Cleveland media that he wants Pioli. The only other person that he would want to interview would be McKay from Atlanta.

Basically it's Pioli's job and he can name his price. That has been confirmed by Grossi, Mary Kay, Zach Jackson and Andre Knott.

What is interesting is Cleveland has yet to ask the Giants for permission to interview Spagnoula. They have asked the Titans permission to interview Schwartz during the bye week. Schwartz has said that he wants the job. He has a good relationship with Pioli. They were scouts here under Belichick.

Pioli is close friends with Mark Shapiro of the Indians and Mangini is married to Shapiro's daughter. I also think he would like to steal Josh McDaniel out of New England but the only way may be as the HC. I believe that Mangini would come here as DC/Asst. HC.

So, I don't expect that Pioili will interview any more then those three.

Hey Ytown, where are you getting this? I just checked the PD online and unless it posted in the last 15 minutes, I'm not seeing what you're saying.

Mary Kay did report that Pioli could be in town as soon as Tuesday but that's not EXACTLY the same thing as you're saying.

Not that I'm complaining. Pioli has the resume and the Browns history that I think is crucial to succeeding in Cleveland. We are not just any city when it comes to football; it would be helpful to have someone who actually UNDERSTANDS the Browns and the depth of the fans' passion for them.

Guest Aloysius
Jim Schwartz The Titans defensive coordinator has a more-than-mild interest in the Browns.

He also worked with GM Mike Tannenbaum Scott Pioli

I'm rooting for Schwartz as well.

Any team with an anemic pass-rush could use's Schwartz's help. After losing both of his top rush ends last offseason, he's managed to get production out of some late-round DE's.

Dave Ball, a former 5th Round pick, has 4.5 sacks on the season. Jacob Ford, drafted in the 6th Round of the '07 draft, has 7 sacks.

One thing that sold me was how he managed the Pittsburgh game. Despite being without both Haynesworth & Vanden Bosch, Schwartz got 5 sacks out of his depleted squad, 3.5 of which came from rookie DE-DT Jason Jones.

We've already got two good interior rushers in Rogers & Williams. I'm hoping Schwartz can replicate the success he's had turning Day Two DE's into sack artists.

Jim Schwartz The Titans defensive coordinator has a more-than-mild interest in the Browns.

He also worked with GM Mike Tannenbaum Scott Pioli

Any team with an anemic pass-rush could use's Schwartz's help. After losing both of his top rush ends last offseason, he's managed to get production out of some late-round DE's.

Dave Ball, a former 5th Round pick, has 4.5 sacks on the season. Jacob Ford, drafted in the 6th Round of the '07 draft, has 7 sacks.

One thing that sold me was how he managed the Pittsburgh game. Despite being without both Haynesworth & Vanden Bosch, Schwartz got 5 sacks out of his depleted squad, 3.5 of which came from rookie DE-DT Jason Jones.

We've already got two good interior rushers in Rogers & Williams. I'm hoping Schwartz can replicate the success he's had turning Day Two DE's into sack artists.

my bad on that i was googling and there was an article about the two working as scouts together when they were younger.

well i like this guy heknows how to play defense and thats one thing rac or tucker dont have down.

I could live with Schwartz....

Who do we get as OC? Does Chud get another run at this? I would rather run a clean slate - and ship Tucker back to OSU or at least back to coaching DB's

Tucker is unquestionably gone.

As to Chudd, it all depends- was he handcuffed either by Crennell or Savage? Or did he get real stupid this year? Like in not letting Cribbs pass more? Inquiring minds want to know. It would be nice to keep some continuity on offense. It didn't help that Jamal Lewis got real slow real quick either. (another misuse of talent- JL should have been relegated to an old Jerome Bettis short yardage role). Harrison should have been used way more way sooner.

Exactly, I live here in Nashville so they've made people quite aware of how the guy that filled in for Haynesworth had 3.5 sacks vrs Pittsburgh on sports radio.

Fisher also stated their BALLCONTROL running game keeps the fresh legs on his defense so another nice thing about it is Schwartz knows that better than anyone. Albert Haynesworth made himself a FREE MAN by making the Pro Bowl this year. They've also shared that with the local radio. TN knows they have to win now. Can you imagine Rogers playing next to Haynesworth? One would thing his DC might have some influence with coming to Cleveland.

The BEST thing about Schwartz is it probably means we divorce this limp wristed 3-4. HATED it!!!!

- Tom F.

I think Mangini is the next Belichick, as in he'll have more success at stop #2, although not quite as successful and Bill, but successful.

Mangini was sunk by a 40-year old turnover machine in Favre. 3 INT's in the 'Phin's game was terrible. The Raven's Harbaugh said yesterday, they got 11 wins by protecting the ball. "You can't win in this league with frequent turnovers". He's right, as everyone knows.

My only hesitation with McDaniels is his age. 32 is pretty young. You have to be pretty gifted to be successful at that age in the NFL. HC in the NFL is a heck of a grind and takes some maturity and fortitude. Maybe he has it in him.

Guest Aloysius

Here's what Mangini said when his Jets faced the Titans a few years ago:

"I know Jim Schwartz from my time in Baltimore. I was the offensive assistant when he was the defensive assistant. I know how hard he works, and he’s an innovative guy. He’ll figure out a way to maximize the defense’s potential. That’s what he does year in and year out. Personally knowing him, I know that it’s going to be quite a challenge."

I'm surprised Spagnoulo isn't getting more love. He gameplanned the Giants to the Super Bowl and had more to do with that victory than anyone. Then he lost two key pieces to his D and has motivated them to continue to thrive.

That being said, I also like Schwartz.

I could live with Schwartz....

Who do we get as OC? Does Chud get another run at this? I would rather run a clean slate - and ship Tucker back to OSU or at least back to coaching DB's

I really hope not..anyone but chud..chud sucks im really hoping pioli takes the job brings mcdaniels and puts the axe to all those less than mediocre assistants(which is most of them) that lerners Retarded arse wont fire ,those bums were well over half of crennels problem..

If they have to have a fire put under their feet to do their job and then still fail they shouldnt be in that line of work i really dont want to see crennel as the new DC either...

Alo, like Belichick's guys, how do we know that the performance isn't a result of the head coach - Fisher has basically been there forever. Too bad we can't just get Jeff Fisher.

I liked the video of Spagnuola you posted the other day, but he does have limited time as a DC, compared to both Schwartz (sp) and Rex Ryan.

I hope we get someone above Pioli who is experienced. Basically we're kicking Savage out (because he had too much power and not enough knowhow being a rookie) and replacing him with a guy who just as inexperienced and will be given the same power.

Well it looks like we'll get another FO that come with training wheels.

I don't care how much "potential" these guys have, they don't have experience, and that's whats needed to right this ship. I understand Cowher is off the radar, but what about Marty? Hell even the Tuna would be an excellent option.

This sucks.

Welcome to 'Randy Lerner's Management Course 101'

Lerner had better pray this works out right - this is his defining moment - if we're 'rebuilding' again in 2-4 years, it will be without half of the fanbase.

I certainly have mixed emotions right now...

Hopes were set on Cowher or Marty... Now were looking at more New England guys coming over.

Regardless of what happens, sports is still a crap shoot. Coaches, Players, Draft Picks,Management, etc., we are taking chances on everyone.

My inclination is to get someone who has done, and done it well in the past. But time will only tell. I will still bleed orange and brown.

I certainly have mixed emotions right now...

Hopes were set on Cowher or Marty... Now were looking at more New England guys coming over.

Regardless of what happens, sports is still a crap shoot. Coaches, Players, Draft Picks,Management, etc., we are taking chances on everyone.

My inclination is to get someone who has done, and done it well in the past. But time will only tell. I will still bleed orange and brown.

Marty, despite prior reports, is interested in roaming the sidelines again.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/12/29/schottenhe...hing-bug-again/

I don't know how you don't go after him, but this is the Browns. We'll just grab more of Belichick's guys hoping it works out.

Pioli and Marty I can live happily with.

Hey Ytown, where are you getting this? I just checked the PD online and unless it posted in the last 15 minutes, I'm not seeing what you're saying.

Mary Kay did report that Pioli could be in town as soon as Tuesday but that's not EXACTLY the same thing as you're saying.

Not that I'm complaining. Pioli has the resume and the Browns history that I think is crucial to succeeding in Cleveland. We are not just any city when it comes to football; it would be helpful to have someone who actually UNDERSTANDS the Browns and the depth of the fans' passion for them.

Grossi, Knott and Mary Kay reported some of it on STO yesterday and my son works in radio and also with the print media. He has been in Cleveland for two days and talked to his buddy Zac Jackson after Lerner's private news conference.

Lerner said he had only two people on his "A" list for GM and acknowledged that Pioli was number one. Later it leaked out that Rich McKay was the other one.

Pioli may even be announced on Wednesday, but because of the holiday it might not be till Friday. The only way it isn't Pioli is if he turns it down. Danny Ferry told some media that he talked to Pioli and he wants the job. Ferry, Shapiro and Pioli are all friends.

I don't care how much "potential" these guys have, they don't have experience, and that's whats needed to right this ship. I understand Cowher is off the radar, but what about Marty? Hell even the Tuna would be an excellent option.

This sucks.

Tuna won't come because Pioli is his son-in-law and he won't get in the way if Pioli wants the job.

Guest Masters

This sucks.

If it is Pioli, would it really be a FO w/ training wheels? I don't know a lot about the guy, but you don't win the following awards by being nothing more than another name in lower position in some other teams FO.

Pioli was awarded The Sporting News' George Young NFL Executive of the Year award (voted on by NFL executives) following the 2003 and 2004 seasons. He is one of just three NFL executives, along with Bill Polian and Bobby Beathard, to win the award in consecutive years. Pioli is the youngest executive to win the award.

Pioli was honored with Executive of the Year honors from national media outlets following the 2001, 2003, 2004 and 2007 seasons.

Following Super Bowl XXXVIII, he earned Executive of the Year honors from Pro Football Weekly (voted on by the media),

The Sporting News (voted on by NFL executives) and Sports Illustrated.

In 2004, Pioli's accolades included the NFLPA's Award for Executive Achievement and NFL Executive of the Year awards from The Sporting News, USA Today, the San Francisco Chronicle and SI.com. In 2007.

Pioli again earned Executive of the Year honors from Pro Football Weekly, the Dallas Morning News and the San Francisco Chronicle.

Yeah, the collective summary of all the morning buzz is that Pioli and the Browns want to do this so it'll get done... and McDaniels and Schwartz look to be the coaching contenders. I like all of the above. I especially like Pioli's excitement about the Browns, given that so many teams have offered him Planet Earth over the past few years, including the Seahawks, Chiefs, and Lions.

Don't forget Mangini. Pioli and him are very close. Mangini is married to Shapiro's daughter and Shapiro and Pioli are very close friends. I think I would rather see McDaniel and maybe Mangini as a DC. I just don't know about Schwartz. I know Fisher is like Belichick when it comes to defense. He has his hands all over it.

It doesn't sound like Belichick had much input into the offense and it soulds like McDaniel has even refined Weis's system to make it more productive and more of a west coast style. It would work great from Quinn.

Archived