THE BROWNS BOARD

You Gotta Take Peterson at 6 If He Is There

Thomaspro

I think he will still be there because of the huge stigma aobut drafting corners too high. The two best players in this draft are clearly Peterson/Green and now probably Jones as the next best guy, but now 4 of the 5 teams ahead of us have a need a corner, but they also have bigger problems in other area's and would think twice about picking a CB that high. Same with Green who now is only likely to go ahead of us if Cinci picks him which probably won't happen. Hell jones will fall to the middle of the first round just because of his position.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he will still be there because of the huge stigma aobut drafting corners too high. The two best players in this draft are clearly Peterson/Green and now probably Jones as the next best guy, but now 4 of the 5 teams ahead of us have a need a corner, but they also have bigger problems in other area's and would think twice about picking a CB that high. Same with Green who now is only likely to go ahead of us if Cinci picks him which probably won't happen. Hell jones will fall to the middle of the first round just because of his position.

No one is scared to take Peterson he may be the number one player taken in this draft, everyone knows hes a sure thing and theres no way he falls to the browns, he'd be lucky to make it to Arizona and they'd take him

I didn't say anyone would be scared to take him, I said they won't because of his position. CB do not get drafted too high and I don't even think one has ever been taken in the top 3. CB and WR tend to fall back past the 1st 3 picks most of the time, most of the time going from the 5th pick and after. Ya he is about as much of a sure thing as you can get and I wouldn't be surprised to see him go to one of the first 5 teams, but I also think there is just as good of a chance that he falls to us.

If Peterson is there at 6 you have to take him. Not only is he a shut down corner but he can do kick off and punt returns as well. This then would allows Cribbs to either concentrate on being a WR. Or, we can look into trading him to fill another position needed such as a DB, DL, RT, or Safety. I know this will not be a popular idea with most people since most fans consider him to be a scared cow on the Browns team.

THERE IS NO GOT TOS IN THIS DRAFT. WHILE PETERSON IS GREAT YOU HAVE GREEN, DARIUS AND OTHERS. IF A TEAM REALLY LOVE NEWTON AND IS NOT TOO FAR DOWN I TRADE FOR MORE PICK. YET I AGREE PETERSON LOOKS SPECIAL. LAST YEAR I WAS DISAPPOINTED WE DID NOT GET THE TENESSEE SAFETY AND HAD TO SETTLE FOR HADEN, WHO IS AN EXCELLEMT PLAYER. THIS YEAR WE HAVE A SHOT AT AN EXCELLENT DE,DT,OT,CB, WR, QB OR WE TRADE DOWN FOR MORE PICKS.

Alright well let's take a good look at every pick before ours and reason as to why they won't pick him:

1. The Panthers will have Cam Newtown, Blaine Gabbert, Patrick Peterson, Marcell Dareus, Nick Fairley, Da'Quan Bowers, Von Miller, and AJ Green to choose from. They probably won't take Peterson for the mere fact that a CB has never been taken #1 (I believe). Moreover, no CB is amazing enough (unless they were a 6'6', 240 CB who ran a 4.20 40 and 44" vertical) to warrant a #1. In addition, the Panthers were 11th in the league in pass defense, so it's not exactly like CB is a glaring need. That's my only line of reasoning as to why they won't go this route. There's no clear #1 in this draft. They'll probably go with a QB or Marcell Dareus.

2. Da'Quan Bowers. They've peaked in their interest for this guy. They need DL and he's a big possibility along with Fairley. Fairley's more athletic (I don't care what the tale of the tape says) than Dareus in-game. He's quicker and shows that burst within ten yards.

3. This is the pick i'm worried about. Either the Bills take Peterson or he drops to us, imo. They could go for BPA or draft Cam Newton. Hell, they may even go Von Miller here. But of course, they don't draft by need, so this one will be tough. Can they wait one more year for Andrew Luck or will they waste a pick on Newton. Gut feeling, but I think they go Cam.

4. This is where AJ Green is gone. I would have loved for this scenario to happen: By the 5th pick, BOTH AJ Green and Patrick Peterson are still on the board. Which means that worst case, we "settle" for whoever they don't pick (unless they pick neither). With that said, TO is gone, Chad Johnson is still there, but he's not the same, and that group needs another weapon on offense. They don't need Patrick Peterson.

5. There's a chance the Cards go Von Miller or Peterson but I like my chances if it's between Von Miller and Peterson. They have an athletic, big (bigger) CB in Rodgers, minus the instincts. Plus, they're run D is in shambles.

Seriously, 3 of these 5 teams might go the Peterson route and it'll a miracle for him to drop this far.

GO BROWNS!

For our case, I seriously hope teams teams think like you and assume Julio Jones is the third best prospect. He's not even top 5, much less top 3.

But you were right in your later post, I hope to God he falls to us.

Sure there has been Corners taken that high i believe there has been over 30 Corners drafted in the top 10, to name a few off the top of my head in recent years, Shawn Springs #2 overall, Terreance Newman #4 overall, Quentin Jammer #5 overall...Pacman Jones #6 Overall, Joe Haden #7 overall, Deion Sanders #5 overall,Carlos Rogers #9 overall,Antrell Rolle #8 overall,Deangelo Hall #8 overall, Duanta Robinson #9 overall.... Thats just off the top of my head im sure there are more

And Peterson is considered the Best CB prospect since Deion so hes easily going top 5

Worth knowing:

The starting corners on the #1 and #2 ranked pass defenses (by opposing QBR) are Sam Shields, Tramon Williams, Ike Taylor, and Brian McFadden. Highest drafted is low 2nd; most are much lower. The Steelers and Packers played in the Super Bowl. Before you say it, Woodson really isn't a cornerback anymore, as pointed out in pre-game. He's a "rover."

How did they do it? Not much of a mystery. They're also ranked #1 and #2 in sacks. Madden said it first but almost everybody in the NFL agrees: The key to stopping the high-powered pass offenses is pass rush, not the rare "elite corners." No matter how good they are, they can only cover one of four or five receivers while a pass rusher covers them all. And even the best can only cover a good receiver for a limited amount of time.

The last team to draft first round corners in back to back years? The Bengals. Both guys are very good. They panned out. But the Bengals ranked below the Browns in pass defense by QBR, #19, and went 4-12. Why? They ranked near the bottom in sacks with only 27.

Point: A lot of top teams would argue that a top 10 corner is never an efficient allocation of draft or cap resources. But two? Well, that's clinically insane.

Worth knowing:

The starting corners on the #1 and #2 ranked pass defenses (by opposing QBR) are Sam Shields, Tramon Williams, Ike Taylor, and Brian McFadden. Highest drafted is low 2nd; most are much lower. The Steelers and Packers played in the Super Bowl. Before you say it, Woodson really isn't a cornerback anymore, as pointed out in pre-game. He's a "rover."

How did they do it? Not much of a mystery. They're also ranked #1 and #2 in sacks. Madden said it first but almost everybody in the NFL agrees: The key to stopping the high-powered pass offenses is pass rush, not the rare "elite corners." No matter how good they are, they can only cover one of four or five receivers while a pass rusher covers them all. And even the best can only cover a good receiver for a limited amount of time.

The last team to draft first round corners in back to back years? The Bengals. Both guys are very good. They panned out. But the Bengals ranked below the Browns in pass defense by QBR, #19, and went 4-12. Why? They ranked near the bottom in sacks with only 27.

Point: A lot of top teams would argue that a top 10 corner is never an efficient allocation of draft or cap resources. But two? Well, that's clinically insane.

I agree that the Browns priority should be a Defensive Lineman if one is the best pick on the board.

Browns need speed and "home run hitters" on both sides of the ball. WR and RDE are 1 and 1A. DT? We have Rubin and Shaefering, who might be a terrific 3-tech. We can either get a free agent, draft Casey in three... or both. My draft would be:

Green

Brooks Reed or Jabaal Sheard

Jurrell Casey

Best LB (Ideally Mason Foster who can play all three spots)

DL rotation is Reed, Rubin, Casey, Shaefering, Jayme Mitchell, and Benard. Benard and Reed off the edges on passing downs.

LBs are DQJ, Gocong, Fujita, Foster, Maiava, and probably a veteran (Nick Barnett?).

Worth knowing:

Perfectly said.

QUOTE (WRREBEL @ Feb 24 2011, 11:26 PM) Its mind bottling that people want us to take a corner top 10.

Do you mean that it is "mind boggling"? Not bottling? Usually it is alcoholics whose minds are "bottling"

the gipper, i want you to have this. and this.

Hopefully, some day Browns FANS will get it after being dawg pounded for three decades now and winning nothing, even playoff spots. Offense wins championships and SKILL PLAYERS on offense make OFFENSE win....

we have had it all wrong for so long sumtimes I just wanna puke. Drafting defense after defense and and OL after OL

and nary the WR's and RB's and QB's that make it happen

Oh well all that losing and we aint learned a thing....we must all be republicans

Hopefully, some day Browns FANS will get it after being dawg pounded for three decades now and winning nothing, even playoff spots. Offense wins championships and SKILL PLAYERS on offense make OFFENSE win....

we have had it all wrong for so long sumtimes I just wanna puke. Drafting defense after defense and and OL after OL

and nary the WR's and RB's and QB's that make it happen

Oh well all that losing and we aint learned a thing....we must all be republicans

Pouncey, Worilds, STFU

Worth knowing:

YES. In this league the WRs are too athletic not to get open no matter who you have on them. Peterson is no doubt a tremendous talent but he wont mean shit to us unless we get a DL in place. Considering the talent level isnt dropping off too much at all with Fairley, Dareus, Bowers and Quinn, they (or some of them) NEED to be above Peterson on the board because they are more valuble NFL positions.

Archived