THE BROWNS BOARD

You Gotta Take Peterson at 6 If He Is There

Thomaspro

I like Peterson alot and think he'd be great here but we'd have alot of money invested into are CB,dont get me wrong if we draft him ill be happy because to me him and Green are the surest thing in this draft...

Dareus-Overrated Played well Sophomore season 11 sacks, compared to this past season 2 1/2

Quinn-The guy hasnt played football in over a year and people wanna draft him with the 6 overall pick, no thanks

Miller-I think he is gonna be an absoulte beast at the next level, but would fit alot better in the 3-4 OLB scheme, although i like him as 4-3 OLB as well

Bowers-One year of great production and has great Size and speed..Still you never know look at Gaines Adams (RIP) never quite lived up to his potential

Fairley-I think he will be a great Pro but will be long gone by the time we pick, also has only one year of great production and has Charcater concerns

So give me Green or Peterson

Id like Miller if both are gone

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Peterson is there at 6 you have to take him. Not only is he a shut down corner but he can do kick off and punt returns as well. This then would allows Cribbs to either concentrate on being a WR. Or, we can look into trading him to fill another position needed such as a DB, DL, RT, or Safety. I know this will not be a popular idea with most people since most fans consider him to be a scared cow on the Browns team.

It's not just unpopular- it's flat- out stupid. Sorry.

"We" have to take him? Sorry, "we" don't. Committing the cardinal sin of draftniks I see- falling in love with a player WAY too soon.

The Browns two most glaring weaknesses are a legit #1 WR, and a stud DL. A complimentary corner to Joe Hayden is WAY down on the needs. I'd even posit a stud RT is higher up on H&H's shopping list right now.

Let's see- two best corners in the league right now? Asomugah and Revis? Close enough? And Revis even had the not too shabby Cromartie opposite him. So where were they SB Sunday? Watching it on the tube, just like you and me. So quick just who are those super stud corners the Steelers and Packers have- I'll spot you the only guy (and he's at the downside of his career Woodson) you can even vaguely mention as a top shelf corner. The Giants beat the heavily favored Pats in the Super Bowl with who? at corner. Starting to get my drift? You can get by with AVERAGE CBs if your front seven is quite studly (just ask the Steelers and Giants).

Even if Peterson is the next Dion Sanders, he'll have less impact on the Browns success in 2011 than a TD scoring WR or a sack machine DL or LB. Why pass on a team when they rank 27th in the NFL in rush defense? Let's just run, and run some more on them.

I will absolutely guarantee you- if Green, Peterson, and a top shelf DL are all on the board when the Browns draft, there will be no way in HELL the Browns will take Peterson- even one or the other.

"We" have to take him? Sorry, "we" don't. Committing the cardinal sin of draftniks I see- falling in love with a player WAY too soon.

The Browns two most glaring weaknesses are a legit #1 WR, and a stud DL. A complimentary corner to Joe Hayden is WAY down on the needs. I'd even posit a stud RT is higher up on H&H's shopping list right now.

Let's see- two best corners in the league right now? Asomugah and Revis? Close enough? And Revis even had the not too shabby Cromartie opposite him. So where were they SB Sunday? Watching it on the tube, just like you and me. So quick just who are those super stud corners the Steelers and Packers have- I'll spot you the only guy (and he's at the downside of his career Woodson) you can even vaguely mention as a top shelf corner. The Giants beat the heavily favored Pats in the Super Bowl with who? at corner. Starting to get my drift? You can get by with AVERAGE CBs if your front seven is quite studly (just ask the Steelers and Giants).

Even if Peterson is the next Dion Sanders, he'll have less impact on the Browns success in 2011 than a TD scoring WR or a sack machine DL or LB. Why pass on a team when they rank 27th in the NFL in rush defense? Let's just run, and run some more on them.

I will absolutely guarantee you- if Green, Peterson, and a top shelf DL are all on the board when the Browns draft, there will be no way in HELL the Browns will take Peterson- even one or the other.

Your points debunked

I understand that everyone has there opinions at this point and far be it from me to say your are stupid or wrong because they really are valid opinions, ones that I shared just a few short weeks ago, but this article basically points several things that Heckert is looking to do in the draft.

"If there's a really good one, you're not gonna pass on him," Heckert said. "So I think corner is just as good a possibility as anything. I go back to Philadel phia, where we had Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor, two Pro Bowl corners. We drafted Lito [sheppard] and Sheldon [brown] one, two in the same draft. I wouldn't have any problem with that. I mean you've got to have three corners."

So Heckert WILL take Peterson if he is available at 6 it is something along the lines that he has done before.

Heckert said the Browns are set at right, tackle with Tony Pashos, who went on injured reserve Oct. 20 with an ankle injury."We like Tony, we really do," Heckert said. "I thought Tony played really, really well before he got hurt. Tony's our starter."

We are more set at RT than alot of people think. This was something that I have been trying to point out all offseason but alot of people just would listen. Pashos is a good starter at RT and we will more than likely either draft a RT in the mid to late rounds to train to eventually take over in a season or two or sign a younger guy with so upside or another proven veteran. It is also possible that they train Lauvou to learn RT along with his LG spot, he has the smarts to do it and we also still have Womack who actually plays better at RT than at RG.

Your points debunked

I understand that everyone has there opinions at this point and far be it from me to say your are stupid or wrong because they really are valid opinions, ones that I shared just a few short weeks ago, but this article basically points several things that Heckert is looking to do in the draft.

"If there's a really good one, you're not gonna pass on him," Heckert said. "So I think corner is just as good a possibility as anything. I go back to Philadel phia, where we had Troy Vincent and Bobby Taylor, two Pro Bowl corners. We drafted Lito [sheppard] and Sheldon [brown] one, two in the same draft. I wouldn't have any problem with that. I mean you've got to have three corners."

So Heckert WILL take Peterson if he is available at 6 it is something along the lines that he has done before.

Heckert said the Browns are set at right, tackle with Tony Pashos, who went on injured reserve Oct. 20 with an ankle injury."We like Tony, we really do," Heckert said. "I thought Tony played really, really well before he got hurt. Tony's our starter."

We are more set at RT than alot of people think. This was something that I have been trying to point out all offseason but alot of people just would listen. Pashos is a good starter at RT and we will more than likely either draft a RT in the mid to late rounds to train to eventually take over in a season or two or sign a younger guy with so upside or another proven veteran. It is also possible that they train Lauvou to learn RT along with his LG spot, he has the smarts to do it and we also still have Womack who actually plays better at RT than at RG.

That is draft posturing by heckert. what is he going to say, " no way we will draft him"

that would make no sense, cause you would lose any leverage for a trade. The draft is about having a poker face. Why do you think he is saying this?

Think about it, he says this, and lets say Peterson isnt draft and the cardinals are on the clock. Who's to say a team drafting in the bottom half of the top ten doesn't trade up for him. This is all about smoke screens.

Hoorta.....ur talking about drafting for need.....something the brass has said publicly they will not do. Understand what that means....

Call it posturing if ya want....but drafting based on need is why most of our. 1st Rounders are not with the team. If pp is bpa at our pick u take him. Especially if the counterargument is to pass on superior talent to stretch on another player at a position of "greater" need

Bpa means bpa.......regardless of positional needs, further considering the depth of dl available in this draft.

That is draft posturing by heckert. what is he going to say, " no way we will draft him"

that would make no sense, cause you would lose any leverage for a trade. The draft is about having a poker face. Why do you think he is saying this?

Think about it, he says this, and lets say Peterson isnt draft and the cardinals are on the clock. Who's to say a team drafting in the bottom half of the top ten doesn't trade up for him. This is all about smoke screens.

Could be but he points out that he has gone CB 1st and 2nd pick in one draft while have 2 pro bowlers already on the roster, so ya he could just be playing a game a draft poker to maybe make a draft day trade to crab us alot of picks, but he could also just be saying that "hey I have done this before and I will do it again."

Its mind bottling that people want us to take a corner top 10.

Do you mean that it is "mind boggling"? Not bottling? Usually it is alcoholics whose minds are "bottling".

But who ever we take I think we all can agree we will want to be a stud!

Really? You want him to be a big sperm donor? Maybe that is what you had in mind to bottle? :P

The pundits disagree, I still see Peterson as a safety and hes a good slot at BPA at 6 and he also fills a need as well. Elam will be a very solid back up. Mark my words Peterson plays safety in the NFL...

Heres a link from the pundits

Among the most alarming terms that can be associated with a cornerback is “stiff,” referring to the inability of the defensive back to fluidly flip his hips, run and cover a wideout.

On Thursday’s NFL Network conference call with the media, draft analyst Mike Mayock used the same word when discussing LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson.

“He’s got a little bit of stiffness to him,” said Mayock, explaining that Peterson is “most comfortable in press-man (coverage),” but explaining that the 2010 Thorpe Award winner “might be best served as a safety.

“He might be an All-Pro safety.”

Peterson is listed at 6-foot-1 and 222 pounds, and Mayock isn’t the first media member to suggest a position switch for the over-sized corner. Mayock even compared Peterson to Antrel Rolle, an early-career cornerback for the Cardinals who busted at the more valuable position before resurrecting his career at safety.

A more recent example of an All-American college corner who made this transition in the NFL was Malcolm Jenkins of Ohio State.

Jenkins was widely considered a surefire top 8-10 pick entering the 2009 NFL Combine. He fell to the Saints at No. 14 after running a forty time in the mid-4.5s, and is now the starting free safety in New Orleans.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ll-pro-safety/

Among the most alarming terms that can be associated with a cornerback is “stiff,” referring to the inability of the defensive back to fluidly flip his hips, run and cover a wideout.

On Thursday’s NFL Network conference call with the media, draft analyst Mike Mayock used the same word when discussing LSU cornerback Patrick Peterson.

“He’s got a little bit of stiffness to him,” said Mayock, adding that Peterson is “most comfortable in press-man (coverage),” but explaining that the 2010 Thorpe Award winner “might be best served as a safety.

Peterson is listed at 6-foot-1 and 222 pounds, and Mayock isn’t the first media member to suggest a position switch for the over-sized corner. Mayock even compared Peterson to Antrel Rolle, an early-career cornerback for the Cardinals who busted at the more valuable position before resurrecting his career at safety.

A more recent example of an All-American college corner who made this transition in the NFL was Malcolm Jenkins of Ohio State.

Jenkins was widely considered a surefire top 8-10 pick entering the 2009 NFL Combine. He fell to the Saints at No. 14 after running a forty time in the mid-4.5s, and is now the starting free safety in New Orleans.

QUOTE (WRREBEL @ Feb 24 2011, 11:26 PM)

Its mind bottling that people want us to take a corner top 10.

Do you mean that it is "mind boggling"? Not bottling? Usually it is alcoholics whose minds are "bottling".

But who ever we take I think we all can agree we will want to be a stud!

Really? You want him to be a big sperm donor? Maybe that is what you had in mind to bottle?

________________________________________________________________________________

Yeah, mind-bottling. You know, when things are so crazy it gets your thoughts all trapped, like in a bottle?

I agree we need to take one of the aformentioned DL or Green ahead of Peterson but if they're gone and he's there we draft him to play safety.

The pundits disagree, I still see Peterson as a safety and hes a good slot at BPA at 6 and he also fills a need as well. Elam will be a very solid back up. Mark my words Peterson plays safety in the NFL...

“He’s got a little bit of stiffness to him,” said Mayock, explaining that Peterson is “most comfortable in press-man (coverage),” but explaining that the 2010 Thorpe Award winner “might be best served as a safety.

“He’s got a little bit of stiffness to him,” said Mayock, adding that Peterson is “most comfortable in press-man (coverage),” but explaining that the 2010 Thorpe Award winner “might be best served as a safety.

Mkay. You can feel free to believe he'll switch to safety. Cause he won't.

He's got the ability of someone like Champ Bailey. IF he does switch to safety, it'll probably be in the latter part of his career. And while a couple of "pundits" suggest he switch to safety, many more think he'll be an all-pro CORNER.

Mkay. You can feel free to believe he'll switch to safety. Cause he won't.

He's got the ability of someone like Champ Bailey. IF he does switch to safety, it'll probably be in the latter part of his career. And while a couple of "pundits" suggest he switch to safety, many more think he'll be an all-pro CORNER.

Ive see this guys film and the last thing I would say is that his hips are stiff. When drafted he will play corner and only be switched to safety if it becomes obvious to those coaches that he would be better suited there. Don't expect that to happen though.

WRONG! You guys are switching to the 4-3 and have zero ends worthy of playing the 4-3. Gotta pick Nick Fairley or Da'Quan Bowers.

lmao, no one cares what you think.

Fairley has weight and character issues. Those are red-flags.

Bowers' injury kinda puts me off from him a bit, but even then, he's only had 1 great year in college.

And if you haven't displayed your lack of knowledge to Browns fans yet, you should know we're drafting #6. Those two are projected to be taken in the top 3.

lmao, no one cares what you think.

Fairley has weight and character issues. Those are red-flags.

Bowers' injury kinda puts me off from him a bit, but even then, he's only had 1 great year in college.

And if you haven't displayed your lack of knowledge to Browns fans yet, you should know we're drafting #6. Those two are projected to be taken in the top 3.

Thanks stupid

Dareus is severely overrated. I wouldn't go anywhere near him.

Fairley is ok but he'll be gone for sure by before the 3rd pick. Green, Bowers and Peterson should be the only 3 they should be looking at with the #6.

And it's been speculated, but that's all it is, speculation. Most of that speculation is that Peterson will move to safety later on in his career, a la Rod Woodson.

Correct....but nothing wrong with another Thom Darden in center field.

Your points debunked

I'll have to say first off, if the Browns DO wind up drafting Peterson, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

But I'll have to agree with Rebs- the pre-draft posturing has already begun. What's Heckert going to say? "Nope, no way we're drafting Peterson @6."? If Peterson is there when we draft, that's a mighty nice bargaining chip- say move down mid first round, grab Julio Jones, and have two second rounders to go for DL help.

As to being "set" @ RT, yeah- Pashos is fine IF healthy- which he hasn't been the last few years. Is that a trend, or an aberration? The Steelers draft O-Line about every year, it's time to get with the program.

Thats excatly the way i see it as well if Peterson is there with the 6th pick then, i could see us using it as leverage towards another team who needs a great CB....The scenario i could best think of would be the trading places with the Lions at 13 because they need a stud corner and nethier Prince nor Peterson will be there when they pick....We use the 13th pick on Jones before St.Louis can grab him at 14 and pick up additonal draft picks...

Or i could see Heckert taking him and paring him with Joe Haden, like in Philly when he had to Pro bowl Corners...

If Peterson is there at 6 you have to take him. Not only is he a shut down corner but he can do kick off and punt returns as well. This then would allows Cribbs to either concentrate on being a WR. Or, we can look into trading him to fill another position needed such as a DB, DL, RT, or Safety. I know this will not be a popular idea with most people since most fans consider him to be a scared cow on the Browns team.

That is great a shutdown and NO OFFENSE.................just what we need to lose 6-0

I find it funny that during this time of the year people forget there's such a thing as free agency.

Jesus Christ guys, it's BPA over need. That should always be the case.

If Peterson falls to us at 6, we have to take him. He'll clearly be the best player available. Then we can do as we please, either keep him or trade him for some picks or guys of need. Whatever the case, Heckert will make a better decision than those on this board bitching and moaning about Peterson and how we don't "need" him.

I agree with alot of people saying we dont need him and alot of people saying we do, ethier way im perfectly happy having Joe Haden and Patrick Peterson as my two Corners for years to come, We really need this FA to begin so we can try to start adding more peices and deciding who would be the best option at #6

I agree with alot of people saying we dont need him and alot of people saying we do, ethier way im perfectly happy having Joe Haden and Patrick Peterson as my two Corners for years to come, We really need this FA to begin so we can try to start adding more peices and deciding who would be the best option at #6

Off topic, but one part of the labor agreement is having the free agency BEFORE the draft. I actually think it's a good idea, but a lot of NFL vets don't like it.

Off topic, but one part of the labor agreement is having the free agency BEFORE the draft. I actually think it's a good idea, but a lot of NFL vets don't like it.

Yeah i also heard that was gonna be a part of the new deal, which i wouldnt mind ethier you could sign and find players you need prior to the draft and then fill the needs you dont have

WRONG! You guys are switching to the 4-3 and have zero ends worthy of playing the 4-3. Gotta pick Nick Fairley or Da'Quan Bowers.

I thought Fairley was supposed to be a DT, not a DE?

In terms of whether or not the Browns have DE worth of playing the 4-3, the Browns think that Robaire Smith may be able to play there, plus they have a few other no name people listed as DE, but you are right, a DE will be important to acquire, as would a DT.

You know, I wasn’t a huge fan of taking another top 10 CB. I’m still not sure I think it’s a good idea to take another top 10 CB when we have so many other holes to fill.

However, if Peterson is as good as advertised, I would get really excited about having him and Haden on the edges, with Ward and Brown at safety.

You know, I wasn’t a huge fan of taking another top 10 CB. I’m still not sure I think it’s a good idea to take another top 10 CB when we have so many other holes to fill.

However, if Peterson is as good as advertised, I would get really excited about having him and Haden on the edges, with Ward and Brown at safety.

hard to argue adding a sure thing to your roster.

The problem is hes the best player in this draft which means i hardly doubt hes going to fall to #6,hes this years Suh.That one cant miss prospect that comes around every while at a certain position

If he were somehow to become a Brown id be happy

Archived