THE BROWNS BOARD

You Gotta Take Peterson at 6 If He Is There

Thomaspro

If Peterson is there at 6 you have to take him. Not only is he a shut down corner but he can do kick off and punt returns as well. This then would allows Cribbs to either concentrate on being a WR. Or, we can look into trading him to fill another position needed such as a DB, DL, RT, or Safety. I know this will not be a popular idea with most people since most fans consider him to be a scared cow on the Browns team.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you saying he is a scared cow or sacred cow?

lol, I think he meant sacred cow.

Trade proven contributor at his position? And if Peterson doesn't pan out as return man, then what? Trade for Cribbs?

Cribbs already proved that he's return man not a receiver. He's good at returning. Let's keep it that way. If you think we need a shutdown corner, I totally agree. Let's get Peterson, but let's not trade Hillis or Cribbs or Ward or McCoy or create any other holes because we don't have much talent to trade.

Great so even if he does pan out we will have a solid cornerbacks and no pass rush.

Listen the fact that we drafted haden last year and he appears to be a solid pick means we won't draft another corner with a top 10 pick.

We have so many needs. If aj green is there we will draft him.

I have never seen a team win with only corners.. you need some passrush to help your corners.

Listen the fact that we drafted haden last year and he appears to be a solid pick means we won't draft another corner with a top 10 pick.

I'm not following your argument. Defensive backfield is still at the top of list of current needs. If Peterson is the best on the board-- and if he's still there he probably is-- take him. Not for his return abilities but because he's a shut-down corner, something that's not easy to get in later rounds.

You might argue that the need for a DE is greater, but you have to weigh that point against further points like who is the best player on the board and can we address DE in later rounds or through free agency. I would be extremely happy with the selection of Peterson, provided that there was some credible plan in place to bolster the line.

Best Player Available. If it is Peterson, so be it. We need a Number 2 CB. If it is AJ Green, great we're in desperate need for a WR. If it is Bowers Fairly Quinn or Watt, great, we need DL. Maybe we view Von Miller as the top player available, we need a LB.

Yes we want the best player available, but you have to way the player with the importance of the position he plays. I agree with WRREBEL, in the NFL if you cant get pressure on the QB, I dont care who you have in the DB, its not going to work out well for the defense. A DL (esp with our gaping hole there) is overall a position of greater importance. So unless there are only DL scrubs left at 6, I think we have to go with a good Dlineman before a good DB again

If Peterson is there at 6 you have to take him. Not only is he a shut down corner but he can do kick off and punt returns as well. This then would allows Cribbs to either concentrate on being a WR. Or, we can look into trading him to fill another position needed such as a DB, DL, RT, or Safety. I know this will not be a popular idea with most people since most fans consider him to be a scared cow on the Browns team.

I think alot of you remember that I was against the idea of taking Peterson with our pick a few weeks ago but the fact of the matter is that this is a once in a decade guy and our second cornerback on this team is 32 years old so even if we don't address cornerback in the draft this year we will have to in the next 1-3 years anyway and it will be awile before we find another guy like Peterson. When your backfield is Peterson, Haden at corner and Brown, Ward at safety, you are in really good shape.

I really just don't think we should draft for needs with the first pick and we should focus on best player availible. If the best player availible happens to be a D-Linemen then great, but if it isn't and Peterson is still there I think we go for him, or at the very least trade back with a Corner needy team like the Cowboys who will give us damn near the kindom for a chance to draft Peterson.

Not totally sold on Peterson returning kicks/punts helps Cribbs be a receiver but I'm totally agreed on us drafting him. Even if Green is there we should pick Peterson up and he will impact our team better in the long run as it give us one of the great CB tandem for the next decade and us not worrying about replacing Sheldon or Wright remember how to play corner again. Picking receivers early in the first round is not Walrus or Heckert's style, either way they always prefer to draft a agile, fast guy for the YAC or the surprise bomb to stretch the defense (D-Jack, Maclin).

I Just really think people are reading way too much into who we want in the draft not even looking at value. People against drafting Green or Peterson quote the D-line, well I'm not comfortable picking a D-lineman that is not elite if Peterson is still on the board, only Bowers and Fairley are the players i consider elite and they'll most likely be gone. We also have to remember Heckert n Holmgren have plans in Free Agency also, we can't get everything we need in this years draft alone. Peterson, if still on the board at 6, is the best available prospect at that point and maybe in the entire draft.

I pretty much agree....unless Bowers or Fairley slip.

The you would have guys about equal value...then you look at the needs of the team, and while we sure could use another top corner, I think think we need a DT more.

I was glad to hear Holmgren say we would take the top player on the board when out pick rolls around.

You really handcuff your growth if you start thinking position over talent....at least with the first pick.

Here is how i would draft.

1st....BPA

2nd...sometimes you have to address a need, so here is where you can get a guy, even if a reach, who will help, but ideally, BPA

3rd....BPA

4th....Need pick

5th....need pick

6th...BPA

7th....the fastest person left....you always need a gunner on special teams, and maybe his speed will carry him far.

And by person, that includes non football players....draft a track guy with some athletic ability . If he totally sucks and gets cut...well, most 7th rounders get cut so you aren't losing anything.

That's the lottery pick.

The Browns will trade down before taking Peterson. It is nice to be able to take the best player available but that is not how the draft works out when you have holes. Since most teams now build there team through the draft you have to fill your roster.. I know some of you would love it if we drafted a corner in every round, but it doesnt make sense.

Until we improve our talent we will draft for talent and need.

its like us drafting a Left tackle because he is the best player available, would that make sense?

The Browns will trade down before taking Peterson. It is nice to be able to take the best player available but that is not how the draft works out when you have holes. Since most teams now build there team through the draft you have to fill your roster.. I know some of you would love it if we drafted a corner in every round, but it doesnt make sense.

its like us drafting a Left tackle because he is the best player available, would that make sense?

I have to disagree. I'm not saying we take Peterson just because he is the best available at that point, I'm saying pick him since he is, has the best value, and we need another corner to start, takes two. Sheldon is getting old, I don't see how the left tackle analogy relates to Peterson, we do NEED another starting corner. Taking Peterson doesn't hamper our rebuilding of the roster, it still helps if not solve's starting CB problem for the next decade. I doubt anyone on this thread is saying pick best available no matter what...that just wouldn't make sense.

I have to disagree. I'm not saying we take Peterson just because he is the best available at that point, I'm saying pick him since he is, has the best value, and we need another corner to start, takes two. Sheldon is getting old, I don't see how the left tackle analogy relates to Peterson, we do NEED another starting corner. Taking Peterson doesn't hamper our rebuilding of the roster, it still helps if not solve's starting CB problem for the next decade. I doubt anyone on this thread is saying pick best available no matter what...that just wouldn't make sense.

Really?? So your saying we should start drafting a corner to replace sheldon brown.

Once again, makes no sense. We have to many needs else where to start drafting for replacements..

You draft a corner in the later rds and maybe sign one. Sheldon brown can still play.. we will not draft peterson, so its a mute argument.

Are you matt millen??

Really?? So your saying we should start drafting a corner to replace sheldon brown.

Once again, makes no sense. We have to many needs else where to start drafting for replacements..

You draft a corner in the later rds and maybe sign one. Sheldon brown can still play.. we will not draft peterson, so its a mute argument.

Are you matt millen??

I don't really seeing you put any good points in really. Are you saying Sheldon Brown and Haden are enough on the flanks with eric wright backing them? No. Brown was solid but burnt out at the end of the season and it showed. You speak as if Brown is a lockdown corner and we shouldn't bother looking to draft YOUTH there, as the point of our rebuild is, not to keep the stop-gaps. CB is one of the needs you speak of and there is still free agency left to pull trades and pull in young players. Peterson isn't a replacement...he is the future. Sheldon is gone when his contract is over because of his age and than what? Not everyteam trades down in a draft because they have numerous holes...Mangini did that for us and it helped a bit but we missed impact players and studs such as Clay among others. We need playmakers and cornerstones defense, I will not want us to trade down to grab another "solid" player but pass on all the impact guys.

Since you parted with a less than nice comment I end mine with, are you Retarded? We're all fans here, no need for your belittling comments, as if you're SO right. Not hearing what your genius plan is.

Are you matt millen??

Brown is a good corner but he is getting older, slower, and more injury prone. I loved that he played last season even though his shoulder was screwed up the whole time. I shows great character, grit, and leadership. The thing though we have no one who can play behind him if (lets be honest here probably when) he gets injured again. If we don't take Peterson (the only CB I am saying is worth drafting with our first pick mind you) then we are just going to be looking to draft a CB in the next 1-3 years anyway so why would we pass up on a once in a decade type of corner this year to pick up a top of the draft corner in the next 1-3 years. Plus I think that next to Peterson, Green is the only other player with the lowest amount of bust potential. All of the top 4 DL picks actually have quit a bit of bust potential. Fairly and Darius both have effort issues and there is a chance they can both turn into the next Haynesworth. And the thing with both Bowers and Quinn is that they have both really only had one big season and Quinn's wasn't even this year, plus Quinn has the whole Gholston comparisons as well so that doesn't help.

To a point you are right, you need to look at both needs and BPA. Kind of like how alot of people consider Peterson to be the best player available in the draft, but if some how both Green and Peterson are available, I think there is a really good chance we go with Green instead.

But whatever because who ever we pick in the first round (as long as it is not a huge jump like last year when we took Ward 1-2 rounds ahead of where he was projected to go) I am going to be excited because I believe that these guys know how to draft for the systems we are putting in.

Great so even if he does pan out we will have a solid cornerbacks and no pass rush.

We have so many needs. If aj green is there we will draft him.

I have never seen a team win with only corners.. you need some passrush to help your corners.

Why do people act as if our secondary is elite? It's still a weakness.

And this draft is packed with defensive linemen. Not to mention there's plenty in free agency.

Cornerback is easy to gage whether or not someone will be a shutdown corner. This guy is as much a sure thing as anyone else.

If Peterson is there, take him.

Brown is a good corner but he is getting older, slower, and more injury prone. I loved that he played last season even though his shoulder was screwed up the whole time. I shows great character, grit, and leadership. The thing though we have no one who can play behind him if (lets be honest here probably when) he gets injured again. If we don't take Peterson (the only CB I am saying is worth drafting with our first pick mind you) then we are just going to be looking to draft a CB in the next 1-3 years anyway so why would we pass up on a once in a decade type of corner this year to pick up a top of the draft corner in the next 1-3 years. Plus I think that next to Peterson, Green is the only other player with the lowest amount of bust potential. All of the top 4 DL picks actually have quit a bit of bust potential. Fairly and Darius both have effort issues and there is a chance they can both turn into the next Haynesworth. And the thing with both Bowers and Quinn is that they have both really only had one big season and Quinn's wasn't even this year, plus Quinn has the whole Gholston comparisons as well so that doesn't help.

To a point you are right, you need to look at both needs and BPA. Kind of like how alot of people consider Peterson to be the best player available in the draft, but if some how both Green and Peterson are available, I think there is a really good chance we go with Green instead.

But whatever because who ever we pick in the first round (as long as it is not a huge jump like last year when we took Ward 1-2 rounds ahead of where he was projected to go) I am going to be excited because I believe that these guys know how to draft for the systems we are putting in.

I agree. I'm cool with either Green or Peterson.

But in my opinion, Peterson is more of a sure thing (cornerbacks usually are) than AJ Green.

I'm really kind of torn on this idea. I kind of agree with on the BPA idea, but I don't think you can overlook the idea of BPA AND filling the biggest needs of the team. You could disagree with me on this, but I think DE and WR are the two biggest needs on the team. I think a player that is being overlooked by some here is Robert Quinn from UNC. i know he had the issues in college, but before all that happened he was considered a top 3-5 talent. I'm not sold on him yet, but I think he could be great. I just hope AJ Green falls past the bengals, because I think that makes our pick pretty easy to make.

I'm really kind of torn on this idea. I kind of agree with on the BPA idea, but I don't think you can overlook the idea of BPA AND filling the biggest needs of the team. You could disagree with me on this, but I think DE and WR are the two biggest needs on the team. I think a player that is being overlooked by some here is Robert Quinn from UNC. i know he had the issues in college, but before all that happened he was considered a top 3-5 talent. I'm not sold on him yet, but I think he could be great. I just hope AJ Green falls past the bengals, because I think that makes our pick pretty easy to make.

It really should not be a BPA vs. need debate when this team could use an upgrade in just about every position aside from QB, RB, LT, and C.

And I'm not sold on Quinn. He's too weak to be a defensive end, not to mention there are talks he'll probably move to OLB.

I agree. I'm cool with either Green or Peterson.

But in my opinion, Peterson is more of a sure thing (cornerbacks usually are) than AJ Green.

I think your right but it's not by much. Hell Amukamara actually has very little bust potential and is projected to be slightly better at coverage as Peterson, but Peterson is just a lightning fast giant who is a way better in run support as well.

I really just think there is too much bust potential with him to justify taking him at 6 or in the top 15 at all. Only one productive year and a whole year spent suspended plus just because he is a freak athlete doesn't mean that he is going to bet great or even average for that matter as we all found out with Gholston. He's like a 50/50. I honestly think that he is going to be the free fall player this year.

yea, i mean you guys could definitely be right. I'm going to reserve any type of judgment on him till he does the workouts and everything. I agree with you secondwave, but I think you have to look at it as this. We significantly upgraded DB last year right?. I understand we still need help there, but I just think we need more help in other areas. Like I said, if AJ green is there I think there's no doubt who we take, but if not there's a lot of players there who are up to debate to take.

The thing is, i hold a lot of my judgment until after the pro workouts. It's a lot of talks until the professionals look at people's workouts. and i hate mel kiper haha.

I think your right but it's not by much. Hell Amukamara actually has very little bust potential and is projected to be slightly better at coverage as Peterson, but Peterson is just a lightning fast giant who is a way better in run support as well.

I really just think there is too much bust potential with him to justify taking him at 6 or in the top 15 at all. Only one productive year and a whole year spent suspended plus just because he is a freak athlete doesn't mean that he is going to bet great or even average for that matter as we all found out with Gholston. He's like a 50/50. I honestly think that he is going to be the free fall player this year.

Amukamara is probably more of a sure-thing, but Peterson has a higher ceiling. Much better hips, and ridiculous burst, something Amukamara doesn't have. The problem with having Amukamara on the Browns is that he's too much like Haden with his style of play. He's not quite as physical, but he's not the speed beast that Haden is. Peterson would compliment him far better.

He's also proven himself in going up against AJ Green and Julio Jones.

Amukamara gets beat by speedsters who are great route-runners.

Its mind bottling that people want us to take a corner top 10.

But who ever we take I think we all can agree we will want to be a stud!

Woooord.

As long as the Browns don't draft Marcell Dareus and Robert Quinn, i'm a happy guy.

Bowers isn't dropping to us. He's a sure thing for the top 3.

I agree we could trade down, but we won't draft for need with that pick. I just read a article yesterday where Holmgren said we will take the best player on our board. Heckert has stated he goes BPA.

Free agency is where you fill holes. The draft is where you bring in the best talent you can....especially at the top of the draft.

Like I said in my previous post....you use mid rounders to fill holes in the roster if you are in that situation, and maybe use a 2nd rounder that way if you are really pressed, but if you start using first round picks to fill a need and pass on better players to fill that need, you are doomed to suck.

If you think that is the best way to draft, join a fantasy league of some sort and before the draft list all the starting positions in any order you want, then draft following that predetermined list.

I'll bet your team sucks.

yea, i mean you guys could definitely be right. I'm going to reserve any type of judgment on him till he does the workouts and everything. I agree with you secondwave, but I think you have to look at it as this. We significantly upgraded DB last year right?. I understand we still need help there, but I just think we need more help in other areas. Like I said, if AJ green is there I think there's no doubt who we take, but if not there's a lot of players there who are up to debate to take.

The thing is, i hold a lot of my judgment until after the pro workouts. It's a lot of talks until the professionals look at people's workouts. and i hate mel kiper haha.

I agree that if it is Green there with Peterson, we go with Green 9 times out of 10 just based off of needs.

Its mind bottling that people want us to take a corner top 10.

But who ever we take I think we all can agree we will want to be a stud!

Of course, as I said I will be happy with who ever we take with the first pick just as long as they are not a huge stretch. But I honestly thing since Holmgren and Heckert are going BPA and that the secondary is still one of out needs, even though not our most demanding, that there is a good chance we take Peterson if he is available.

No one has said what many a pundits have said that Peterson looks to be converted to Safety in the NFL. Much like Jenkins was from OSU for the Saints. Jenkins had a very good year this year and looks to be a very good FS in the NFL. I would draft Peterson at 6 as a safety and that is only if Fairley, Bowers, Darius and Green are all off the board by that time.

No one has said what many a pundits have said that Peterson looks to be converted to Safety in the NFL. Much like Jenkins was from OSU for the Saints. Jenkins had a very good year this year and looks to be a very good FS in the NFL. I would draft Peterson at 6 as a safety and that is only if Fairley, Bowers, Darius and Green are all off the board by that time.

Dareus is severely overrated. I wouldn't go anywhere near him.

Fairley is ok but he'll be gone for sure by before the 3rd pick. Green, Bowers and Peterson should be the only 3 they should be looking at with the #6.

And it's been speculated, but that's all it is, speculation. Most of that speculation is that Peterson will move to safety later on in his career, a la Rod Woodson.

Dareus is severely overrated. I wouldn't go anywhere near him.

Fairley is ok but he'll be gone for sure by before the 3rd pick. Green, Bowers and Peterson should be the only 3 they should be looking at with the #6.

And it's been speculated, but that's all it is, speculation. Most of that speculation is that Peterson will move to safety later on in his career, a la Rod Woodson.

A lot of older CB spend the last few years at safety and it's expected that Brown will finish his career at safety, but I have yet to here anyone suggest the Peterson should be moved to safety. I have heard a lot of people say that he is a corner playing in the body of a safety, but not that he should switch positions. If we draft him is would serve us better to keep him at corner and switch Brown to safety so that our starters would be Haden, Peterson, Ward, and Brown and on nickle it would be Haden, Peterson, Brown at CB and Ward, Elam at safety.

I also agree that Dareus is over rated. He has had to solid years to Fairly's 1 but he has been injured off and on and like Fairly he has a lack of effort issue sometimes.

A lot of older CB spend the last few years at safety and it's expected that Brown will finish his career at safety, but I have yet to here anyone suggest the Peterson should be moved to safety. I have heard a lot of people say that he is a corner playing in the body of a safety, but not that he should switch positions. If we draft him is would serve us better to keep him at corner and switch Brown to safety so that our starters would be Haden, Peterson, Ward, and Brown and on nickle it would be Haden, Peterson, Brown at CB and Ward, Elam at safety.

I also agree that Dareus is over rated. He has had to solid years to Fairly's 1 but he has been injured off and on and like Fairly he has a lack of effort issue sometimes.

Yeah, trust me, Peterson won't move to safety. Not for another 8-10 years. The move from CB to S is usually only made in the early years of prospects who aren't projected to go in the 1st-2nd round. In that regard, most CBs make that move to lengthen their careers because they're in the tail-end of their athletic peak. Peterson moving to safety would be dumb, and quite frankly, drop his value.

Sheldon Brown is washed up. TJ Ward is a tad overrated by Browns fans, but he is a decent safety. Haden has the potential to be an all-pro corner, but it remains to be seen. The second year is usually a good measuring stick for a player's potential.

Archived