THE BROWNS BOARD

You be the GM. Who do you draft with the #5 pick for the Browns?

TK39

Who do you draft with the #5 pick for the Browns?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Brown's Draft Posibilities

• Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
    • Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC
    • Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
    • Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss
    • Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State
    • Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech
    • James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State
    • Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest
    • Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State

I don't think anybody expected the Browns to be picking 5th this year in the draft (raises hand) but now that the season is over, we have to look at the positives...which is now getting a very good player that can help the team right away (hopefully).

So, if you were the GM of the Browns today, who would you pick in the 1st Rd.

For the 5th pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns select.................?

Here are some of the prospects that SHOULD be available by the 5th pick in the 1st round.

Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC

Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas

Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech

Michael Oher, OT, Ole Miss

James Laurinaitis, ILB, Ohio State

Malcolm Jenkins, CB, Ohio State

Aaron Curry, OLB, Wake Forest

Chris Wells, RB, Ohio State

I think we can safely say that QB, WR, TE will not be chosen in the 1st Round (eventhough Crabtree is unbelievable).

So, who do you pick?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Seattle does not take Crabtree you gotta get him.. otherwise it make for a very tough pick.. too high to take beanie at #5 though.. Without knowing if we will be in a 3-4 or 4-3 it's tough to pick.. I really like Malcom Jenkins.. the secondary would be sweet to add him to the mix, curry.. hmmm I don't know maybeeeeee Maybin , Brown.. choices choices.. fact is we have to get stronger against the run.... Ok trade down.. get Beanie and another pick on a DT or DE OR LB..... yeah..that's the ticket

curry, if he's there. todd mcshea has him going to seattle, but i don't really see that. they already have two decent LBs and more glaring needs at safety, on the o-line, at RB and at WR.

it's worth to note, though, that we're in a great position to get curry.

If Seattle does not take Crabtree you gotta get him.. otherwise it make for a very tough pick.. too high to take beanie at #5 though.. Without knowing if we will be in a 3-4 or 4-3 it's tough to pick.. I like malcom jenkins, curry.. hmmm I don't know maybe maybin hahaah, brown.. choices choices.. Ok trade down.. get Beanie and another pick... yeah..that's the ticket

You don't take a wide receiver like Crabtree with a pick that high unless you plan on trading Braylon Edwards, you would be paying 2 receiver approx. 15-20 million dollars and how many rookie receivers make a impact their 1st year

Also how many linebackers have been drafted in the top 5 that have made a impact, remember all the hype about A.J Hawk and what he did at Ohio State, well Hawk as become nothing more than a average linebacker at Green Bay nothing special so I would not draft any linebacker with a top 5 pick, now if you want to trade down to get addional picks I am all for drafting Rey Rey he is the only linebacker who could be a impact player/playmaker ASAP, I see Curry as a good linebacker but not a type of player who will be a game changer. I don't see any linebacker in this draft class coming in like a Shawn Merriman and I don't believe IMO you spend a draft choice in the top 5 on any inside linebacker. Willis with the 49ers is a good inside LB but how much impact has he made on the 49ers defense.

When drafting top 5 I feel you look only at QB, RB, LT CB or pass rushing DE for a 4-3 defense

If Seattle does not take Crabtree you gotta get him.. otherwise it make for a very tough pick.. too high to take beanie at #5 though.. Without knowing if we will be in a 3-4 or 4-3 it's tough to pick.. I really like Malcom Jenkins.. the secondary would be sweet to add him to the mix, curry.. hmmm I don't know maybeeeeee Maybin , Brown.. choices choices.. fact is we have to get stronger against the run.... Ok trade down.. get Beanie and another pick on a DT or DE OR LB..... yeah..that's the ticket

I would be afraid to take any Ohio State player that high

Vernon Gholston, A.J Hawk, Ted Ginn..........Have any of these guys produced for where they were drafted

No thanks to the overrated Ohio State players

Maybe Taylor Mays could be our Troy Palamalu?

We need a playmaker with this picks, not just a good NFL player a guy who will be a SUPERSTAR

You don't take a wide receiver like Crabtree with a pick that high unless you plan on trading Braylon Edwards, you would be paying 2 receiver approx. 15-20 million dollars and how many rookie receivers make a impact their 1st year

Also how many linebackers have been drafted in the top 5 that have made a impact, remember all the hype about A.J Hawk and what he did at Ohio State, well Hawk as become nothing more than a average linebacker at Green Bay nothing special so I would not draft any linebacker with a top 5 pick, now if you want to trade down to get addional picks I am all for drafting Rey Rey he is the only linebacker who could be a impact player/playmaker ASAP, I see Curry as a good linebacker but not a type of player who will be a game changer. I don't see any linebacker in this draft class coming in like a Shawn Merriman and I don't believe IMO you spend a draft choice in the top 5 on any inside linebacker. Willis with the 49ers is a good inside LB but how much impact has he made on the 49ers defense.

When drafting top 5 I feel you look only at QB, RB, LT CB or pass rushing DE for a 4-3 defense

Very interesting. :o

I guess a trade down is a good posibility.

the shelf life of a RB is far too short to justify using a top-10 pick on one. RBs play until they're 30, while guys at pretty much every other position can play five years longer than that.

a good LB is definitely worth a top-5 pick. if there's a sure-fire DE, he's likely the best option, but so many DEs flop in the NFL that it's, i think, too risky of a position to draft that high.

you have to play both ends of risk/reward when you're drafting high enough that it necessitates a sizable financial comittment.

and patrick willis is the highest impact player on the niners. dude's an animal, really the only guy they have that opposing OCs need to account for on every play and work to minimize.

Maybe Taylor Mays could be our Troy Palamalu?

We need a playmaker with this picks, not just a good NFL player a guy who will be a SUPERSTAR

You make an extremely interesting and convincing case for Mays...but does he fill a need? Crabtree is absolutely awesome, but you are right about all the $ tied up in WRs. Well, AZ does have Boldin and Fitz...so I guess there are exceptions to the rule.

So....neither Jones nor Pool are in Mays' class, but both are very decent players IMO. Our linebackers are meh, at best.

Personally, I'd rather draft Curry/Maualuga and resign Jones than draft Mays, lose Jones and continue on with Davis/Bell/Williams at ILB.

But you have given me something to think about RE: Mays and even Crabtree.

the shelf life of a RB is far too short to justify using a top-10 pick on one. RBs play until they're 30, while guys at pretty much every other position can play five years longer than that.

a good LB is definitely worth a top-5 pick. if there's a sure-fire DE, he's likely the best option, but so many DEs flop in the NFL that it's, i think, too risky of a position to draft that high.

you have to play both ends of risk/reward when you're drafting high enough that it necessitates a sizable financial comittment.

and patrick willis is the highest impact player on the niners. dude's an animal, really the only guy they have that opposing OCs need to account for on every play and work to minimize.

Did Patrick Willis turn the 49ers defense into a good or dominant defense? NO, How many stuffs did he have this year or sacks, Willis is a good player but not dominant, not a game changer.

So you would rather have a good player who you hope will play 10 years rather than a player who could be a Superstar because he plays running back because is shelf life is supposed to be only 5 years

I remember people on this board bragging about how Savage took advantage of Ozzie Newsome by trading with him to draft Wimbley because Ngata would only last a few years, now Savage is gone is Wimbley is a complete bust, so much for that theory of Wimbley would still be playing great for 10 years when Ngata would be done in 5, looks like Ngata will be playing while Wimbley is a backup LB or out of football.

This team has to draft a guy with this pick that will start from day 1 and be a star player in his rookie season, if we miss on this pick it will setback this franchise even more

With that high of a pick the positions usually taken are Left OT, QB, or a DE/OLB. You got Quinn and QB (plus no qbs worth taking that high) and Joe Thomas at left tackle (plus no OL worth taking at that pick). Your D needs a good stud so Curry or Ray at linebacker. Another good option is to trade down for a few good 1st and 2nd round picks. I guarantee if you take a reciever with the 5th pick you will end up 0-16 within two years. (Just like the lions....) I think the best option is trade down for multiple picks becuase picking that high is overrated. Players get larger salaries then veteran All-Pro players and they have never even played in the NFL.

I think the best option is trade down for multiple picks becuase picking that high is overrated. Players get larger salaries then veteran All-Pro players and they have never even played in the NFL.

Let's say you think Aaron Curry or Rey Maualuga is the next great NFL linebacker, you have to draft him at 5. Let's say you don't. That's when you trade down. Picking someone at 5 when you feel nobody holds #5 value is the only dumb thing to do.

I can completely understand not picking up a WR with the #1 pick for the Browns....

....but how sweet would it be for Quinn to have weapons like Edwards, Winslow, & Crabtree????

I'm drooling just at thinking of the possibilities.

Guest Aloysius
Did Patrick Willis turn the 49ers defense into a good or dominant defense? NO, How many stuffs did he have this year or sacks, Willis is a good player but not dominant, not a game changer.

Okay, this is incredibly sloppy work. Your assumptions are

1. The Niners had a good defense before Willis
  2. They added Patrick Willis, with no other personnel changes
  3. They should now have a dominant defense
The reality is:
  1. The year before Willis was drafted, the Niners' defense was ranked 26th in the league. Not good - borderline terrible.
  2. They've had a lot of personnel move in & out since then - Justin Smith & Nate Clements signed, Bryant Young retired, etc. Their overall talent on D may have increased slightly, but they've also lost some great run defenders. And until recently, the coaching has been terrible.
  3. The Niners' defense is now ranked 13th in the league. They've made a significant jump, at least in part due to Willis's dominant play.
LB's can make huge impacts on a defense. Hence the obsession with guys like Ray Lewis & Brian Urlacher.

So I don't buy your argument.

So you would rather have a good player who you hope will play 10 years rather than a player who could be a Superstar because he plays running back because is shelf life is supposed to be only 5 years

willis' impact doesn't show up in obvious ways because he doesn't play a obvious, glory-type position. he's not a DE/OLB or CB, so his impact isn't measured in INTs or sacks. his number this year were 141 tackles, one INT, one fumble forced and 7 stuffs.

and i'd rather have someone who's a good player and can be good for 10 years than someone whose potential is questionable and has a short shelf life. there's more than one reason that i want curry over wells.

we could always trade DA to KC or Detroit for a first round pick

The Lions are probably trying to avoid another 0-16 so I doubt the give up a first round pick for him. I don't see DA getting anything more then a 3rd round pick if your lucky.

I notice all you guys are trying to determine DA's trade/FA value so you are comparing him to other QBs who will be free agents this offseason. Make sure you add Bryon Leftwhich to that discussion. As a Steelers fan I would love for him to dedicate himself to the Steelers as a life long back-up but I know that won't happen. He is pretty servicable and could do well on quite a few teams.

Guest Aloysius

Aaron Curry.

And I'd take Jenkins over Maualuga - I wouldn't be comfortable giving Maualuga top 5 money; he's the kind of guy you need to keep motivated, which may not happen if he's already got so much money that earning a second contract won't be important to him.

If he goes top 5, I think there's a greater chance that he'll be a bust/underachiever.

Guest Ghoolie
I don't think anybody expected the Browns to be picking 5th this year in the draft (raises hand) but now that the season is over, we have to look at the positives...which is now getting a very good player that can help the team right away (hopefully).

So, if you were the GM of the Browns today, who would you pick in the 1st Rd.

For the 5th pick in the 2009 NFL Draft, the Cleveland Browns select.................?

Here are some of the prospects that SHOULD be available by the 5th pick in the 1st round.

Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC

Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas

I think we can safely say that QB, WR, TE will not be chosen in the 1st Round (eventhough Crabtree is unbelievable).

So, who do you pick?

Duh, let's see, the Browns don't have a deep threat, Duh, Aye Don't Know..............

Crabtree. He is a play maker, we don't have a SINGLE playmaker.

WInslow and Edwards need to be gone.

[quote name='Ghoolie' date='Dec 29 2008, 08:42 PM' post='25206

we don't have a SINGLE playmaker.

Let's play Name That Playmaker, G!

Year Team Games Starts Receptions Yards Average Touchdowns

2007 Cleveland 16 16 80 1,289 16.1 16

I said Curry, because Al has me watching those damn clips every other day.

But as usual, I'm pussing out by disclaiming like a mofo but I have to keep saying it:

Give me the biggest bang for the buck, regardless of position. Whoever we think WILL START is the guy we should draft, PERIOD.

Top 10 picks MUST BE starters, from Day One.

So, based on history, LBs translate best to the pros. If you know where to be, get there fast and hit hard, you will play immediately. To me, Curry looks like the SAFEST pick at what happens to be a major need for us.

But, again, that being said, you MUST take the sure thing at #5. If Crabtree is that good, you take him.

You just better be damn sure he's that good if you are going to skip a guy like Curry for him or you risk becoming the next Detroit.

Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC

Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas

So, who do you pick?[/font]

Well I crossed off the ones above.... I am telling you, drop down a few slots, take Curry or Mauluga. Then get Shon Greene or Javon Ringer in the 2nd Round if you really, really want a RB. I would take the other kid from Vandy as a CB as well. There is NO WAY IN HELL we take Laurinitis that high.... Jenkins is intriguing, but no thanks to a CB at #5.

Archived