THE BROWNS BOARD

Why does anyone here want Eric Mangini as HC?

Favre2Cotchery

Hey everyone, Jet fan here. I've read some of the posts on this board about how Mangini is a "defensive guru", don't buy into it. Mangini had an excellent first season as our HC, taking a talentless team to a playoff game with Chad Pennington playing safe ball control football (i.e this year's Dolphins). The Jets beat all of the shit teams and lost to all of the good ones and then choked something awful when they had to play the Patriots. The following season the Jets went 4-12 and Pennington was benched for throwing game ending pick-6's in several games, most notably against the Bengals. The season dragged on forever and it became apparent that our team wasn't competitive if a challenging schedule presented itself to us. It also became apparent that our 3-4 defense had undersized and underachieving players and several players were playing out of position (Dewayne Robertson as NT, Johnathan Vilma as MLB). Mangini got another shot and our GM opened up the checkbook so that he could get whatever players he needed in the free agency. We went out and signed Kris Jenkins to be our NT, Calvin Pace to be our LOLB, Damien Woody to be our RT, Alan Faneca to be our LG, and Tony Richardson to be our FB; and all of the signings turned out to be excellent ones, the Jets were now a competitive team.

This season Mangini ended up producing the opposite of what happened in '06, the Jets beat every tough team on their schedule and lost to all of the bad ones (the Bills and Rams exempt), and ended up missing the playoffs after an 8-3 start. Mangini was responsible for the collapse as he played soft, Cover 2 defenses with three or four man rushes and allowed bad QBs to light up our inexperienced secondary. When teams realized that running on Jenkins was impossible they started running to the outside and Mangini never made adjustments to counter those plays. As a result we allowed five straight games of 100 yard or more yards rushing against us and went 9-7. What Mangini will do with your team may seem good at first, he'll win some more games with the Browns due to an easy schedule but he will have no control over the lockeroom and will be emotionless on the sidelines just like Crennel. The only plus to Mangini is that, if your GM is any good, he is an excellent drafting coach. He drafted the Jets a Pro-Bowl corner in Darelle Revis (our only good corner), a solid MLB in David Harris, and an excellent TE in Dustin Keller. He will build up the talent base of your team but don't expect him to take the Browns very far in the post-season.

The problem I've noticed with the Browns starts with their run defense and the fact that their linebackers are undersized for a 3-4 scheme. Rogers is a solid NT and Corey Williams is a good DE, but it seems that teams can run on the Browns at will. D'Qwell Jackson is a big time tackler but like Vilma here he gets run over by bigger backs, cannot shed blocks, and winds up making most of those tackles 6 or more yards off the line. Andra Davis is alright but he's getting older, and McGinnest is serviceable at best. Wimbley is about the only stud LB you guys have and he isn't being used properly (lack of a pass rush). Wright and McDonald are fine as your corners and your safeties have a nose for the ball, if the Browns focus on producing a consistent pass rush their secondary will improve greatly.

Just my two cents, but trust me you don't want any part of "Mangenious". Get Brian Bill ick (asshole?) Shottenheimer, or someone with credentials. ;)

Guest ATENEARS

Thanks a ton for coming here and sharing your thoughts. I'm not thrilled with the thought of Mangini ... and hate the idea of Brian asshole.

In fact, I now not only hate all QB's, I hate all Head Coaches too.

That should be Brian asshole with a capital A.

No control over the locker room is a bad thing. I was intrigued by Mangini at first, but not so much anymore. I think he needs a couple years to see things from a third person perspective, and recollect his thoughts.

-Al

Guest ATENEARS

The problem with Brian Asshole, is not only is he the biggest asshole I've ever seen grace an NFL sideline, he's a SNL skit head coach ... a freaking joke. The guy had a clean slate to come here and coach this team as an expansion team. He could have built this club to however he liked. He could have had a shitload of draft picks to choose from and build from. He instead mocked our franchise, making comments about there "not even being a sock laying around in the locker room". He took his offensive genius mystic and put together the worst offense to ever win a super bowl. The guy freaking inherited one of the best defenses in their prime and got lucky as hell. Once that Defense aged, he got shit canned because he never came close to building any other part of the franchise.

He's the worst choice we could ever waste our time with. I'd rather hire Ray Lewis to coach here ... that's who carried Brian Assholes ass.

Thanks a ton for coming here and sharing your thoughts. I'm not thrilled with the thought of Mangini ... and hate the idea of Brian asshole.

In fact, I now not only hate all QB's, I hate all Head Coaches too.

We're in the same boat, my Jets haven't appeared in a Super Bowl in over 40 years and are essentially the laughingstock franchise of the NFL. We share a stadium with a winning Super Bowl team, let our DC go to the Patriots who are a Super Bowl winning team, let Pennington go to give our division rival Dolphins the #3 seed, and went 1-4 down the stretch to miss the playoffs. Jet fans like me get used to failure and soft coaching just like you guys do, now I'm fed up with it. Here are two teams loaded with talent that never seem able to climb to an elite status, it's truly infuriating. From what I hear now Mangini is Randy Lerner's pick for HC, he's not the worst, but you may as well have kept Crennel the way Mangini coaches.

Either Parcells or Cowher will be the Jets' coach next season and if not them Rex Ryan would be just as good but what the Browns need is someone who can bring consistency on that team. DA was amazing in '07, what the hell happened? Jamal Lewis was a top 10 back last season, again what the hell happened? Edwards all of the sudden can't catch a cold and Donte Stallworth has turned into a colossal bust. If the Browns want to play the 3-4 seriously they need bigger linebackers and better play from their DEs, Rex or Rob Ryan could do a better job as DC then whoever is there now.

That should be Brian asshole with a capital A.

No control over the locker room is a bad thing. I was intrigued by Mangini at first, but not so much anymore. I think he needs a couple years to see things from a third person perspective, and recollect his thoughts.

-Al

He's excellent at evaluating talent and bringing in the right guys, but he's soft and indecisive like Wade Phillips or Romeo Crennel, and next to Dick Jauron he was the worst coach in the AFC East. Who's to say he doesn't improve the Browns? I never hated Mangini but his inexperience seemed to kill him even in the best of times, but if he's in Cleveland he may not have to deal with the media over here in NY. It wouldn't be Armageddon if he become your HC, all I'm saying is to not expect an amazing turnaround.

The problem with Brian Asshole, is not only is he the biggest asshole I've ever seen grace an NFL sideline, he's a SNL skit head coach ... a freaking joke. The guy had a clean slate to come here and coach this team as an expansion team. He could have built this club to however he liked. He could have had a shitload of draft picks to choose from and build from. He instead mocked our franchise, making comments about there "not even being a sock laying around in the locker room". He took his offensive genius mystic and put together the worst offense to ever win a super bowl. The guy freaking inherited one of the best defenses in their prime and got lucky as hell. Once that Defense aged, he got shit canned because he never came close to building any other part of the franchise.

He's the worst choice we could ever waste our time with. I'd rather hire Ray Lewis to coach here ... that's who carried Brian Assholes ass.

So in other words he is the Jon Gruden of the AFC North?

Hey Jets fan, thanks for the intelligent posts and insight. We could use more of your kind from other teams.

Good insight on Mangina. He hasn't impressed me in the least and does indeed some like another squishy coach. Pass.

I want young and fiery at HC. I want a guy who will stay here forever and provide some IDENTITY to this team.

Whoever the next guy is, he better KNOW who he is and what kind of players/play he wants.

Hey everyone, Jet fan here. I've read some of the posts on this board about how Mangini is a "defensive guru", don't buy into it. Mangini had an excellent first season as our HC, taking a talentless team to a playoff game with Chad Pennington playing safe ball control football (i.e this year's Dolphins). The Jets beat all of the shit teams and lost to all of the good ones and then choked something awful when they had to play the Patriots. The following season the Jets went 4-12 and Pennington was benched for throwing game ending pick-6's in several games, most notably against the Bengals. The season dragged on forever and it became apparent that our team wasn't competitive if a challenging schedule presented itself to us. It also became apparent that our 3-4 defense had undersized and underachieving players and several players were playing out of position (Dewayne Robertson as NT, Johnathan Vilma as MLB). Mangini got another shot and our GM opened up the checkbook so that he could get whatever players he needed in the free agency. We went out and signed Kris Jenkins to be our NT, Calvin Pace to be our LOLB, Damien Woody to be our RT, Alan Faneca to be our LG, and Tony Richardson to be our FB; and all of the signings turned out to be excellent ones, the Jets were now a competitive team.

This season Mangini ended up producing the opposite of what happened in '06, the Jets beat every tough team on their schedule and lost to all of the bad ones (the Bills and Rams exempt), and ended up missing the playoffs after an 8-3 start. Mangini was responsible for the collapse as he played soft, Cover 2 defenses with three or four man rushes and allowed bad QBs to light up our inexperienced secondary. When teams realized that running on Jenkins was impossible they started running to the outside and Mangini never made adjustments to counter those plays. As a result we allowed five straight games of 100 yard or more yards rushing against us and went 9-7. What Mangini will do with your team may seem good at first, he'll win some more games with the Browns due to an easy schedule but he will have no control over the lockeroom and will be emotionless on the sidelines just like Crennel. The only plus to Mangini is that, if your GM is any good, he is an excellent drafting coach. He drafted the Jets a Pro-Bowl corner in Darelle Revis (our only good corner), a solid MLB in David Harris, and an excellent TE in Dustin Keller. He will build up the talent base of your team but don't expect him to take the Browns very far in the post-season.

The problem I've noticed with the Browns starts with their run defense and the fact that their linebackers are undersized for a 3-4 scheme. Rogers is a solid NT and Corey Williams is a good DE, but it seems that teams can run on the Browns at will. D'Qwell Jackson is a big time tackler but like Vilma here he gets run over by bigger backs, cannot shed blocks, and winds up making most of those tackles 6 or more yards off the line. Andra Davis is alright but he's getting older, and McGinnest is serviceable at best. Wimbley is about the only stud LB you guys have and he isn't being used properly (lack of a pass rush). Wright and McDonald are fine as your corners and your safeties have a nose for the ball, if the Browns focus on producing a consistent pass rush their secondary will improve greatly.

Just my two cents, but trust me you don't want any part of "Mangenious". Get Brian Bill ick (asshole?) Shottenheimer, or someone with credentials. ;)

Damn, thanks bro, that's some good shit.

Hey Jets fan, thanks for the intelligent posts and insight. We could use more of your kind from other teams.

Good insight on Mangina. He hasn't impressed me in the least and does indeed some like another squishy coach. Pass.

I want young and fiery at HC. I want a guy who will stay here forever and provide some IDENTITY to this team.

Whoever the next guy is, he better KNOW who he is and what kind of players/play he wants.

Exactly, there's no point in hiring another soft Patriot DC as your coach, and if Lerner was giving this process any thought he would seriously consider bringing in Shottenheimer again. Sure he blows in the big game but he will give the Browns the horses to compete again, just like he did with the Chargers.

Yeah, but only since 1999. We've got so many other priorities ... I'm sure we'll get around to looking into that.

Zombo

#28 in Run D Mr Z it is a big priority, right next to being next to last in sacks. See any run stuffing pass rushers out there- Orakapo?

#28 in Run D Mr Z it is a big priority, right next to being next to last in sacks. See any run stuffing pass rushers out there- Orakapo?

Yeah, I was being sacrcastic, I harp on the run defense every year and every year we watch the Steelers, the Ravens, the Bengals and everybody else run it down our piehole.

The schemes were bad, the linebackers are bad, the tackling is/was woeful.

If Romeo C. is connected with the future of this franchise in any way, I hope it has nothing to do with X's and O's, we can't stop teams when we KNOW what they are going to do.

Zombo

Archived