THE BROWNS BOARD

Go Packers!

BrownsFan4Evr

I won't disagree with all of this because I certainly believe and know there are bandwagon fans but making blanket statements like this implies that you believe all Steeler fans outside of PA are bandwagon and that would be absolutely incorrect. As far as it lasting forever is concerned. All good things come to a end but as long as the Rooney's own the team and continue to strive for the same things the franchise will have success. When was the last time Pittsburgh drafted poorly? We don't go huge in to free agency and work to retain our own. The Big free agents we sign are our own players and most of the time the organization offers them a fair market contract but not the HIGHEST and more often than not they stay because of the organization. Ben is also only 28 years old, say he plays into his mid 30's. The winnings isn't going to stop. Look no further than this current season for the supposed "melt down" and the "demise" of the Steelers. Ben was suspended, we had several very key injuries and we're in the Super Bowl. Why? Because the Steelers draft well, are well coached and know what it takes to win. I'm forever confident with Mike Tomlin on the sideline and the Rooney's in the ownership suite. End of story.

The key will be when Dick LeBeau retires, and that may be as soon as the end of this season. He was the Steelers DC in 1995 when the Steelers made the SB. Then he left after the 1996 season. He came back in 2004 and the Steelers have been in 3 SBs since.

In the meantime when he was gone, the Steelers had some good years and some playoff appearances, but nothing like when he was there.

We will see what happens when he leaves.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The key will be when Dick LeBeau retires, and that may be as soon as the end of this season. He was the Steelers DC in 1995 when the Steelers made the SB. Then he left after the 1996 season. He came back in 2004 and the Steelers have been in 3 SBs since.

In the meantime when he was gone, the Steelers had some good years and some playoff appearances, but nothing like when he was there.

We will see what happens when he leaves.

Unfortunately for your argument Keith Butler (who you should be familiar) has been waiting in the wings to take over. He's turned down several other positions of prominence with other organizations to stay with the Steelers and eventually take over the defensive Coordinator position. Dick Lebeau is amazing but Tomlin is a great defensive mind as is Butler. If and when Dick retires the Steelers will be fine just like we've been fine with our LB's and every other position of significance. There is always another guy being groomed and waiting in the wings. I still find it comical that they only reason you feel the Steelers are successful is because of Dick Lebeau. Amazingly short sighted. Seems to be a current theme over the last few weeks.

Unfortunately for your argument Keith Butler (who you should be familiar) has been waiting in the wings to take over. He's turned down several other positions of prominence with other organizations to stay with the Steelers and eventually take over the defensive Coordinator position. Dick Lebeau is amazing but Tomlin is a great defensive mind as is Butler. If and when Dick retires the Steelers will be fine just like we've been fine with our LB's and every other position of significance. There is always another guy being groomed and waiting in the wings. I still find it comical that they only reason you feel the Steelers are successful is because of Dick Lebeau. Amazingly short sighted. Seems to be a current theme over the last few weeks.

Yea, and Jay Fiedler was there to take over at QB from Dan Marino.

And Phil Bengston was there to take over from Vince Lombardi.

And Neal Anderson was there to take over for Walter Payton.

And Jim Dooley was there to take over for George Halas.

Talented people, perhaps. Just as talented as say Cliff Stoudt and Mark Malone were when they took over for Terry Bradshaw.

Or Tommy O'Connell when he took over for Otto Graham.

You are hoping that these guys will be a Steve Young taking over for Joe Montana, or a Leroy Kelley taking over for Jim Brown.

It is you who are short sighted if you think that things will automatically just keep going as is.

The fact is, when LeBeau left after 1996 that team simply wasn't as good.

(and FYI, the only Keith Butler that I am familiar with was an old kicker for the Bears. Is that who you are talking about? Or was that Kevin Butler?)

Yea, and Jay Fiedler was there to take over at QB from Dan Marino.

And Phil Bengston was there to take over from Vince Lombardi.

And Neal Anderson was there to take over for Walter Payton.

And Jim Dooley was there to take over for George Halas.

Talented people, perhaps. Just as talented as say Cliff Stoudt and Mark Malone were when they took over for Terry Bradshaw.

Or Tommy O'Connell when he took over for Otto Graham.

You are hoping that these guys will be a Steve Young taking over for Joe Montana, or a Leroy Kelley taking over for Jim Brown.

It is you who are short sighted if you think that things will automatically just keep going as is.

The fact is, when LeBeau left after 1996 that team simply wasn't as good.

(and FYI, the only Keith Butler that I am familiar with was an old kicker for the Bears. Is that who you are talking about? Or was that Kevin Butler?)

Keith Butler. The LB's Coach for the Steelers and the one promised the Defensive Coordinator position when Lebeau retires. I believe he Coached briefly with the Browns in the early 2000's when you guys had Jamir Miller. As far as the rest is concerned when is he last time the Steelers had a poor draft? or over paid one of their own putting their team in jeopardy? Pittsburgh players WANT to stay in Pittsburgh unless the pay day elsewhere is ridiculous and even then they end up coming back (See Randel El and Larry Foote) Pittsburgh is a top tier organization from top to bottom. I don't see that stopping anytime soon. Everyone was singing the doomsday song for the Steelers on this board leading up to the season and look where that got everyone. It's now become a bit of a broken record. One day you may concede the the Pittsburgh Steelers are a model franchise for the entire NFL and when you do you'll stop making the above comments. Call it egotistical, call it naive but until proven otherwise it's the current status quo for the black and gold.

Please Allow them to Dream... 40 yrs with only THREE Times ... Back to Back Losing seasons ?? This means Nothing to them. They fully expect us to Nose Dive back to the 1960`s ANY DAY Now. Same as it ever was... same as it ever was ... same as it ever was...

They Also Expect NFL Titles of the 50~s and 60`s for the Browns to return soon. The Dominance of the Early Browns ( which all but Vanished with Paul Brown). One reminder for those longing for the Good Ol` days ... The Browns were 4~7 in NFL Title Games also a 16~20 All Time Playoff Record . Facts never mentioned here and probably long forgotten.

Go figure, well most of America gets it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_...?urn=nfl-316000

No surprise here. According to a recent poll, Ben Roethlisberger(notes) will be the most disliked player in Super Bowl XLV. What, you were expecting Mason Crosby(notes)?

The Hollywood Reporter commissioned a poll by Penn Schoen Berland which revealed that the Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback will be the least favorite player on the field at Cowboys Stadium. He is "strongly disliked" three times more than any other player in the game.

Poll results were released before Big Ben's all-smiles performance at Tuesday's media day.

According to the survey, Roethlisberger isn't the most disliked player in the league. He finished fourth overall in that category behind Brett Favre(notes), Michael Vick(notes) and Tom Brady(notes). (Really, people? More of you dislike Brady than Big Ben? Nobody is going to accuse me of being a big fan of adult Tiny Canadian Pussy Douche, but come on.)

Other findings in the poll reveal that 78 percent of Americans plan to watch Sunday's game, more people will be rooting for the Packers, and that men look forward to the game more than their anniversaries (probably because they can actually remember the date of the Super Bowl).

Another one? As in another Steeler thread. As far as the article is concerned you're surprised? or felt this was post worthy? Look at all the ridiculous slam articles recently released. His image still isn't repaired in Pittsburgh. How many more of these will be posted here before the Super Bowl should be the next question. I'm guessing at least 10 more.

We really need to set up restrictions on what threads people are allowed to start. I you want to post something about the Steelers, you must first ask yourself this question: Would I post this if it were any other team? If the answer is (truthfully) yes, then post it. However, if you are just posting it to get people riled up and get a few "thanks" then don't waste your time. Every time one of you guys post another anti-Steeler thread, you are just confirming what the Steeler fans are saying about the people on this board. I understand that the off season can be long and boring, but this anti-Steeler crap needs to go (unless it's Steeler week. Then everything is fair game).

The BIGGER issue in this article is that MOST VIEWERS WILL BE ROOTING FOR THE PACKERS.

STEELER NATION DEFLATION

I respect your opinions Ghoulie but disagree with you on this one. I think that most people are rooting for the Packers because they ar a lovable team an that you never hear anything negative about them in the news. Also, people just want to see new blood winning for a change instead of the same teams holding up the trophies.

We really need to set up restrictions on what threads people are allowed to start. I you want to post something about the Steelers, you must first ask yourself this question: Would I post this if it were any other team? If the answer is (truthfully) yes, then post it. However, if you are just posting it to get people riled up and get a few "thanks" then don't waste your time. Every time one of you guys post another anti-Steeler thread, you are just confirming what the Steeler fans are saying about the people on this board. I understand that the off season can be long and boring, but this anti-Steeler crap needs to go (unless it's Steeler week. Then everything is fair game).

For real, there are like 43 threads on the Steelers on the front page. Sack the xxxx up. This is a Browns forum ffs. Quit bitching about the Steelers fans posting here, there are seriously more threads on the Steelers started by Browns fans than there are started by Steelers fans.

For real, there are like 43 threads on the Steelers on the front page. Sack the xxxx up. This is a Browns forum ffs. Quit bitching about the Steelers fans posting here, there are seriously more threads on the Steelers started by Browns fans than there are started by Steelers fans.

6 on the first two pages total.

dont you find it a little disgusting that this shitbag gets so much media attention; i really can not see any remorse for his behavior.

think about it... no jail time.......no probation.......no rehabilitation. and now he gets a chance to possibly be a super bowl mvp? wtf!

They get the attention because they are one of the two best teams in the league. During the off, pre and regular seasons, all the focus is on the Cowboys, Patriots and whatever the hell Brett Favre is doing. I don't want the Steelers to win, but they do deserve the attention. They are afterall in the Superbowl.

Also, Ben did receive punishment. He got suspended 4 games. I hate the guy, but he's pretty darn good.

The BIGGER issue in this article is that MOST VIEWERS WILL BE ROOTING FOR THE PACKERS.

STEELER NATION DEFLATION

STEELER NATION is STEELER NATION. we dont have a corner on the ENTIRE Nation. The way I look at it...Most people want the Pack to win and most "Experts " are Picking the Pack to win. I LOVE That ! The Steelers should develop that US Vs. The World Mentality.

STEELER NATION is STEELER NATION. we dont have a corner on the ENTIRE Nation. The way I look at it...Most people want the Pack to win and most "Experts " are Picking the Pack to win. I LOVE That ! The Steelers should develop that US Vs. The World Mentality.

well there is a lot more steeler hate than love throughout the country because of the behavior of some of 'your' team's top players. like they need to do the bulletin board thing to pump them up. it's pretty overwhelming against the steelers pre-season, regular season and post-season. yes they are a great team made up of thugs and pedophiles and nibblers.

i wonder what the ratio of women would be vs. ben in a study group?

and for all those who don't like reading or participating in threads which concern the steelers then don't read them or participate in them. who has the right to tell another fan how to feel or act? i agree some of these threads are ridiculous but you and me are both here commenting on it correct?

I won't disagree with all of this because I certainly believe and know there are bandwagon fans but making blanket statements like this implies that you believe all Steeler fans outside of PA are bandwagon and that would be absolutely incorrect. As far as it lasting forever is concerned. All good things come to a end but as long as the Rooney's own the team and continue to strive for the same things the franchise will have success. When was the last time Pittsburgh drafted poorly? We don't go huge in to free agency and work to retain our own. The Big free agents we sign are our own players and most of the time the organization offers them a fair market contract but not the HIGHEST and more often than not they stay because of the organization. Ben is also only 28 years old, say he plays into his mid 30's. The winnings isn't going to stop. Look no further than this current season for the supposed "melt down" and the "demise" of the Steelers. Ben was suspended, we had several very key injuries and we're in the Super Bowl. Why? Because the Steelers draft well, are well coached and know what it takes to win. I'm forever confident with Mike Tomlin on the sideline and the Rooney's in the ownership suite. End of story.

Sensitive aren't we? You might have gotten that inferrence, but I'll bet about no one else did. Yeah, there's hardcore Steeler fans everywhere who have Western Pennsylvania ties. I even personally know a couple here in Dayton. Point is, outside of the transplanted Pittsburgites not all but the vast majority of the alluded to "Steeler World" "fans" are a bunch of frontrunning bandwagonners- and you should damn well know that. Look no farther than "Neutral Zone" Youngstown for Exhibit A for what Tom was saying that "everybody loves a winner".

The Steeler "fans" didn't start packing other teams stadiums until the "winning tradition" was established- like say after the first four Super Bowls.

here's an idea.. you don't want to read a Steelers thread.. then don't open it. Stop being a pussy.

here's an idea.. you don't want to read a Steelers thread.. then don't open it. Stop being a pussy.

I agree. There is another board that bans people for expressing unpopular opinions. This board lets you say what you want. If you don't like the post, ignore it. But restricting posts based on if its about the Steelers or not is rediculous. It is the off season and you will get posts on everything.

Another one? As in another Steeler thread. As far as the article is concerned you're surprised? or felt this was post worthy? Look at all the ridiculous slam articles recently released. His image still isn't repaired in Pittsburgh. How many more of these will be posted here before the Super Bowl should be the next question. I'm guessing at least 10 more.

This IS Super Bowl week, so naturally there will be threads involving the Super Bowl.

The real question is why are you here? Why are you so concerned about a team that isn't in the Super Bowl?

I would think you would be spending your time on Steeler boards talking to you comrades, or if you must troll, that you would be on a Packer fan board.

Yet, here you are. On the Cleveland Browns Board.

Last time I looked the Browns weren't playing Sunday.

Isn't this "Steeler Nation" thing a complete cliche? I mean, first there was "Raider Nation", and "Red Sox Nation" and who the eff knows how many other "nations".

Can't you come up with something original?

If someone started spouting off about "Browns Nation" I would bitchslap them for being an idiot.

Keith Butler. The LB's Coach for the Steelers and the one promised the Defensive Coordinator position when Lebeau retires. I believe he Coached briefly with the Browns in the early 2000's when you guys had Jamir Miller.

I don't remember him being here.

As far as the rest is concerned when is he last time the Steelers had a poor draft?

Define 'poor draft". There have been drafts where you may have gotten one decent player. I would say that it has been about as long since the Browns have had a 'poor draft' as it has been since the Steelers had a poor draft.

or over paid one of their own putting their team in jeopardy? Pittsburgh players WANT to stay in Pittsburgh unless the pay day elsewhere is ridiculous and even then they end up coming back (See Randel El and Larry Foote) Pittsburgh is a top tier organization from top to bottom. I don't see that stopping anytime soon.

Yes, Dan Rooney is a class guy, no one argues that. Not sure about the rest.

Everyone was singing the doomsday song for the Steelers on this board leading up to the season and look where that got everyone. It's now become a bit of a broken record.

I wasn't one of those that said that. Those "singers" were all basing their song on the fact that BR would be on the shelf. If you recall, I said that the Steelers could win with Charlie Batch or Byron Leftwich at QB.....and they did. I said that as long as you had LeBeau running the defense the Steelers would be a force to reckon with.

I think that team will be less of a force to reckon with if he leaves.

I might be proven wrong. But I will take my chances. If you had asked me "which Steeler would you rather see gone from that team, BR or LeBeau" I say that it would be a no brainer for me. It is LeBeau.

One day you may concede the the Pittsburgh Steelers are a model franchise for the entire NFL and when you do you'll stop making the above comments. Call it egotistical, call it naive but until proven otherwise it's the current status quo for the black and gold.

One day? That day has come and gone. Where the F were you. I said that what an NFL team needed was a stable ownership...and said the Steelers have had that, a stable front office, and as far as I know they have had that. A Hall of Fame caliber coach....the Steelers DC is that guy, and of course good enough players.

I am not saying the Steelers will necessarily fall off the face of the planet with LeBeau gone, but I sure as hell do believe that their capability to challenge for a championship is greatly diminished if he is gone.

I can compare them with the Patriots. A good owner with Bob Kraft, and a Hall of Fame defensive mind in HC Bill Belichick.

Do you think for a minute that the Pats would be the challengers they are for the title if BB were not in the picture?

They might be good, but I don't think they would be elite.

Please Allow them to Dream... 40 yrs with only THREE Times ... Back to Back Losing seasons ?? This means Nothing to them. They fully expect us to Nose Dive back to the 1960`s ANY DAY Now. Same as it ever was... same as it ever was ... same as it ever was...

They Also Expect NFL Titles of the 50~s and 60`s for the Browns to return soon. The Dominance of the Early Browns ( which all but Vanished with Paul Brown). One reminder for those longing for the Good Ol` days ... The Browns were 4~7 in NFL Title Games also a 16~20 All Time Playoff Record . Facts never mentioned here and probably long forgotten.

On the contrary. I keep those records and mention whenever they are relevent to a post.

But you simply make my point for me. If a team loses a coach of the caliber of a Paul Brown, there is bound to be a dropoff. As a DC, Dick LeBeau may approach Paul Brown in caliber.

I generally root for the AFC team but since its the stoolers (an elite owner and team) nestled in a division of faggot owners and weakly managed teams im pulling for the pack and hoping holmgren can bring some of that GB swagger to rustville..

Archived