THE BROWNS BOARD

Cowher Turns Us Down- Thank God!!!

Bob806

I just heard on WKNR that Lerner met with Cowher on Saturday, and he turned the Browns job down. I know I'm in the minority, but I think that's GOOD....he can keep his Steeler legacy with those fans, and we don't have to root for a guy who kicked our butts for 15 years.

Guest ATENEARS

Cowher tells Browns he's not interested; Pioli to be interviewed for GM position

by Mary Kay Cabot

Monday December 29, 2008, 10:39 AM

link

Browns fire GM Phil Savage

Chat wrap: Tony Grossi on the changes

Jets fire Mangini

Updated 11:26 a.m.

BEREA - Browns owner Randy Lerner said today that former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher told him he was not interested in joining the Browns.

Lerner met with the media this morning to announce that Romeo Crennel has been fired as head coach.

Speculation for his replacement had been centered on Cowher for several weeks, but Lerner said Monday that he met with Cowher on Saturday night and that Cowher said he would not return to coaching in 2009 and asked Lerner to take him off the Browns list of candidates.

Cowher told Lerner that he was comfortable with his lifestyle in North Carolina at this time.

Lerner said he's already asked for permission to talk to New England Patriots Executive Vice President Scott Pioli and that he'll focus on the general manager role next.

Lerner said he's receiving permission to talk to another unnamed NFL exec. He appeared interested when informed that Eric Mangini had been fired by the New York Jets this morning. Mangini, a former Browns employee, worked with Pioli in New England.

Lerner admitted he's interested in Mangini, who began his career here under Bill Belichick. Lerner also said there's a chance Crennel could remain with the Browns as an assistant coach.

Lerner said he met with Cowher in New York.

"I got word that he was available for an informal conversation because he was very aware I had him at the top of the list, getting involved with the Browns," Lerner said. "He wanted to tell me personally that he did not anticipate coaching in 2009. I wouldn't say Bill Cowher was the first choice, but I would say Cowher was the clear, no-questions-asked, guy you wanted to ask where he stood."

Lerner said the two never even discussed any financial aspects.

Crennel, 61, was fired after going 24-40 in his four seasons at Browns head coach. He had three years left on his contract, which had been extended in January after he guided the Browns to a 10-6 record and just missed the playoffs.

But things fell apart this season, starting with injuries to several key players, including quarterback Derek Anderson and wide receiver Braylon Edwards, both Pro Bowl performers the previous season.

Midway through the season Crennel benched Anderson in favor of Brady Quinn, but the struggles continued, especially after Quinn suffered a broken finger that ended his season. Anderson returned and promptly suffered a season-ending knee injury. With Ken Dorsey and free agent Bruce Gradkowski at quarterback, the Browns failed to scored an offensive touchdown over the final six games, establishing an NFL record, and finished with 4-12, marking the fifth time in the past six years that they had at least 10 losses.

Throughout the season Browns players voiced their support of Crennel.

Crennel came to the Browns after several seasons as defensive coordinator for the New England Patriots under Bill Belichick. He has been part of five Super Bowl championships with the Patriots and New York Giants.

Guest Aloysius
Lerner also said there's a chance Crennel could remain with the Browns as an assistant coach.

I'm sure Lerner spoke to RAC about it this morning; this is a pretty clear sign that RAC's willing to stay on as DC.

I'm sure Lerner spoke to RAC about it this morning; this is a pretty clear sign that RAC's willing to stay on as DC.

That would lend support to the Pioli/McDaniels combo....

You would have Pioli as GM, McDaniels as the HC, RAC as the DC/AHC, and Chud as the OC?

Guest Aloysius
with the reports coming out of Berea that RAC was fired as HC makes me think that RAC has turned that opportunity down

His firing was announced at 9:50, and Lerner met with reporters at 10. If RAC had turned down the opportunity & was subsequently fired, Lerner wouldn't even have mentioned the possibility of him returning.

And about Chud: I think he's gone.

His firing was announced at 9:50, and Lerner met with reporters at 10. If RAC had turned down the opportunity & was subsequently fired, Lerner wouldn't even have mentioned the possibility of him returning.

And about Chud: I think he's gone.

Then we are waiting to see if the new HC to come will want RAC's baggage?

One down (cowher)

Martys not an option lerner wants

Pioli brings prestige but is he his own man or another belicheat yes man is he even interested?

ozzie aint goin nowhere

The tuna who knows?

The plot thickens as top prospects begin to fall away and soon less than capable and or desperate ,crudy and previously fired prospects will be beating the berea hqs doors down as we fans prepare for 4 more years of no name no structure no identity lernerball...

Guest Aloysius

For what it's worth, Tony Grossi said in his podcast that he doesn't think Lerner would have fired Savage without a replacement already in line.

I'm betting that the rumors about Pioli wanting the Browns GM job are true.

Baloney on Cowher. His big flappin jaws spit so much, in freezing temps the Steelers' side of the field looked like Siberia in late Winter.

My Browns coaching staff dream team:

Pioli would be a great move as GM, I still like Russ Grimm as Head Coach, and Josh McDaniels as assistant HC/OC.

Then the Browns should hire Beans as quarterback coach, and Stan as DC, Flugels as oline coach, Zombo as dback coach,

and the rest of the board as their assistants...

Rich can be waterboy.

For what it's worth, Tony Grossi said in his podcast that he doesn't think Lerner would have fired Savage without a replacement already in line.

I'm betting that the rumors about Pioli wanting the Browns GM job are true.

With lerner stating cowher wasnt his first choice to begin with and seeking permission to set up an interview with pioli leaves me with little doubt pioli is lerners prime target as gm for the better or for another belichick zombie like crennel remains to be seen he couldnt possibly be any worse than savage..

But piolis choice for HC and assistants will tell us that if he chooses to come to cleveland..

And if he doesnt and the tuna refuses we are in lerners less than capable hands of bringing us a unknown genius or the bottom of the nfl barrel i think we know what we get eh?

Each regime has been proven progressively worse so the next regime will be a great one or will leave us as bad off as detroit..time will tell.

Pioli stacks up on paper and mcdaniels is a promising HC prospect if he comes with pioli..but the only guy in NE thats a truly proven winner is billyboy he does everything there he is a walking nfl encyclopedia that makes krafts ownership and the whole front office look awesome so i do have some doubts and concerns about taking anyone from the patriots except billyboy himself...

I can renew my season tickets now....wasn't gonna do it if they hired Cowher.

Even though I hate Cowher, I have respect for him now, he wanted to remain loyal to the Rooneys. You don't see too much loyalty anymore from players, coaches or management, so I have to admit, turning down $9 million or so to remain loyal is very impressive....something guys like Nick Saban and Rich Rodriguez could learn.

I can renew my season tickets now....wasn't gonna do it if they hired Cowher.

Even though I hate Cowher, I have respect for him now, he wanted to remain loyal to the Rooneys. You don't see too much loyalty anymore from players, coaches or management, so I have to admit, turning down $9 million or so to remain loyal is very impressive....something guys like Nick Saban and Rich Rodriguez could learn.

Actually i think cowhers choice really does have more to do with lifestyle and having visions of a ditka style heart attack on the football field then loyalty he really likes being called coach without the anquish of being one...lol ;)

Cowhers a great guy i have always had respect for him though i hated him at the same time...;)

Baloney on Cowher. His big flappin jaws spit so much, in freezing temps the Steelers' side of the field looked like Siberia in late Winter.

My Browns coaching staff dream team:

Pioli would be a great move as GM, I still like Russ Grimm as Head Coach, and Josh McDaniels as assistant HC/OC.

Then the Browns should hire Beans as quarterback coach, and Stan as DC, Flugels as oline coach, Zombo as dback coach,

and the rest of the board as their assistants...

Rich can be waterboy.

...and Ghoolie can chase malcontents with a top of the line whipping belt. Braylon, you're first in line!

I was wondering when Grimm's name would be mentioned. Boy, did he ever fall off the map. He was my choice in 2004, but I haven't heard his name since, except for when Whisenhunt dragged him to Arizona.

-Al

Maybe we can finally put the Cowher thing to rest. Apparently when he says no to Cleveland, we shouldn't think $$ can buy anybody.

Lerner has now asked permission to talk to Pioli. Pioli is already a Vice President in New England and if the owner (who is a friend of Lerner's) says no, then Cleveland may be required to compensate New England for Pioli.

Guest ATENEARS

Rumor has it that Cowher wasn't ready to step up and finally coach a major league franchise. He's scared of a longtime fan base and prefers the newbee's from the mid-70's on.

We get so wrapped up in hero worship (or the other side of that coin demonization of an individual) that we can't see straight.

We were elated to get Savage and Crennell from winning organizations then we crucified them when they couldn't perform a miracle.

Remember that neither The Crows nor Pats fell apart when these guys left and neither have the Squeelers without Cowher.

WSS

Yep - lets start a thread and pretend that the Bill Cowher dissing didnt sting badly!

Personally, never wanted him. I have been saying that since the entire Cowher stuff started. So while a few here and outside of this board will be disappointed, the majority of us are not stung at all.

Archived