THE BROWNS BOARD

Romeo Officially Joins Savage

Zombo

BEREA, Ohio (AP) - The Cleveland Browns have fired coach Romeo Crennel following a 4-12 season.

The firing Monday came one day after general manager Phil Savage was dismissed.

Crennel went 24-40 in four seasons with the Browns, who entered 2008 with huge expectations but collapsed amid a series of injuries and uneven play on offense and defense. They didn't score an offensive touchdown while losing their last six games and posted their fifth season of at least 10 losses in six years.

Although Crennel's dismissal had been expected for some time, Cleveland owner Randy Lerner waited until after the season out of respect for the 61-year-old coach and former defensive coordinator, who had never been a head coach at any level before taking over the Browns in 2005.

Crennel had three years left on a contract extension he signed in January after the Browns went 10-6 and just missed the playoffs.

COMMUNITY ON FOXSPORTS.COM

NFL message boards

Start or join a new Football fan group

Create or go to your profile

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Use and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Be the first to share your thoughts about this story with other Fox Sports members.

I'm getting really tired of every press report and interview stating 'injuries' were the Browns problem. Not the case at all. They were spiraling down after week 5, when RAC would not consider changing QB's. How many times did they go Draw play over and over with Jamal Lewis to end up 3rd and 6, 3rd and 8, etc., etc. Play calling, coaching decisions, player ineptitude and lack of discipline and accounatbility were this teams downfall, NOT INJURIES. Call it like it really is. RAC did a bad job and even when it looked like there was still time to get something going, the organization did nothing.

One of the all time most frustrating seasons in Browns history. Not because of fate but because of poor management.

I dont like the sound of changes being made and no new hires im starting to get a knot in my gut...lol

Hopefully it means both coordinators and their entire crew of faggot assistants are being fired as well hopefully not promoted that whole bunch lacks everything needed to be successful..

I dont like the sound of changes being made and no new hires im starting to get a knot in my gut...lol

First of all....you don't want to hire ANYBODY until you get the GM...and then HE should do the hiring (Lerner said he doesn't know football operations).

Second of all, the season is just now ended. We couldn't even INTERVIEW until now. Give it a couple of weeks.

AFTER we get the GM...then hopefully he will take his time and do his homework to make sure we get the RIGHT GUY, instead of the popular choice.

As for getting the EXPERIENCED HC....take a look at this:

Baltimore - Harbaugh

Miami - Sporano

San Francisco - Singletary

Atlanta - Smith

What do all these guys have in common?

They all have ZERO HC EXPERIENCE...and they all have WINNING RECORDS (and 3 of them are in the playoffs in their first year).

I will say the thing that stuck in my craw the most was RAC continually looking for excuses NOT to start the 1st round QB (when most teams look for ANY excuse to start their first rounders - even before they're ready) and Savage's 2-QB plan. It was obvious to most DA was peaking in trade value (and statistically, had peaked in mid-07'), and he kept pushing with this "you need 2 QB's" crap. I don't doubt the need to two QB's, but the flaw in his logic was having two young QB's constantly battling it out, or another way to look at it, the 6th rounder in front of the 1st rounder. In Pittsburgh, they have a guy who knows he's the starter and a guy who knows he's the back up - there's a solid "2-QB" approach. Phil should have known the diff.

I will say the thing that stuck in my craw the most was RAC continually looking for excuses NOT to start the 1st round QB (when most teams look for ANY excuse to start their first rounders - even before they're ready) and Savage's 2-QB plan. It was obvious to most DA was peaking in trade value (and statistically, had peaked in mid-07'), and he kept pushing with this "you need 2 QB's" crap.

Yeah DA was clearly on a downward slide when he ONLY threw 12 TDs in the 2nd half of 2007 and led the team to a 5-3 record.

How many TD passes did the Browns throw in the 2nd half of 2008, by the way?

The fans love affair for Quinn will hold the Browns down as long as he is on the roster. Here's to the new coach not being a BQ Fag.

First of all....you don't want to hire ANYBODY until you get the GM...and then HE should do the hiring (Lerner said he doesn't know football operations).

Second of all, the season is just now ended. We couldn't even INTERVIEW until now. Give it a couple of weeks.

AFTER we get the GM...then hopefully he will take his time and do his homework to make sure we get the RIGHT GUY, instead of the popular choice.

As for getting the EXPERIENCED HC....take a look at this:

Baltimore - Harbaugh

Miami - Sporano

San Francisco - Singletary

Atlanta - Smith

What do all these guys have in common?

They all have ZERO HC EXPERIENCE...and they all have WINNING RECORDS (and 3 of them are in the playoffs in their first year).

BAL - Has Ozzie.

San Fran - they play in the NFC west. Get back to us next year.

MIA - Has Parcells.

ATL - the one that does prove your point.

So, 1 out of 4 ain't bad, but the performances need to be repeated. These were all BAD teams last year, and had the benefit of an easier schedule this year. For BAL, ATL, and MIA, that won't be true next year.

BAL - Has Ozzie.

MIA - Has Parcells.

So, 1 out of 4 ain't bad, but the performances need to be repeated. These were all BAD teams last year, and had the benefit of an easier schedule this year. For BAL, ATL, and MIA, that won't be true next year.

Actually, they all prove my point. We need to get a solid GM first...then getting an experienced HC isn't as important. Just get a guy who can work within the GM's system.

If that is the case then we should fully expect the Browns to dominate in 2009.

You've shown some insight in some posts so, I'm curious, do you honestly believe this team has little talent - they've played to their level ? Injury is the cause of this seasons failure ? I DO in fact believe 2009 will be a good year, given the failures of the RAC regime are corrected. I'm not so sure ALOT of player changes are needed.

BAL - Has Ozzie.

MIA - Has Parcells.

Only two games are determined by the previous year's record.

Agreed, Jurivicious and Tucker big losses and Winslow's injury certainly did'nt help much.

I can't help but wonder, if this team had a 'kick 'em in the ass' program, would Braylon have been given the luxury of underperforming before he got benched and if so, would he have picked up his game ? Additionally, using the same lame attack over and over was boring and predictable. Could Steptoe have become more, would Cribbs have been more effective if he'd been relied on less (more a weapon) ? Seems every time a RB other than Lewis started to show some promise, they gave it back to Lewis for the next 8 runs.

Would the Def Backs have played better if they'd been challenged for their jobs ?

What if, what if, what if. I keep falling back on the same lame arguements. Frustrating.

In any event I really think the management of the team (coaching on up) can bring out things from THIS team we never got a chance to see. I really believe DA played so well last year because he saw his window and jumped on it. Too many seemed too comfortable this year and seemed to be given that latitude.

I'm getting really tired of every press report and interview stating 'injuries' were the Browns problem. Not the case at all. They were spiraling down after week 5, when RAC would not consider changing QB's. How many times did they go Draw play over and over with Jamal Lewis to end up 3rd and 6, 3rd and 8, etc., etc. Play calling, coaching decisions, player ineptitude and lack of discipline and accounatbility were this teams downfall, NOT INJURIES. Call it like it really is. RAC did a bad job and even when it looked like there was still time to get something going, the organization did nothing.

One of the all time most frustrating seasons in Browns history. Not because of fate but because of poor management.

Amen, the loss of Joe J and Tucker caused the offense to rack up an impressive string of touchdownless quarters? Losing one guy off the D line turned the run D into crap?

I almost fainted during the Steeler game when they finally let Cribbs throw a pass- talk about under utilizing a talent.

Crennel is a good guy, I was hoping he would be kept on the staff to some capacity. Perhaps it is still in the cards.

Maybe he can run the catering service Stan. :lol: Defensive coordinator? Don't know about you, but what I saw out there on D this year about made me want to puke.

Archived