THE BROWNS BOARD

Lerner did not attend the game

Earle

Lerner did not attend the game. A source said that Lerner was lining up interviews with Bill Cowher and other coaching candidates -- including at least two minorities to comply with the NFL's "Rooney Rule."

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/12/i..._woeful_in.html

Before the game was even finished, General Manager Phil Savage knew he had been fired by owner Randy Lerner. Savage returned to Cleveland by car while the rest of the Browns' contingent bused home.

Cowher signed a new 7 figure contract with CBS to be a studio analyst last week. Hard to believe he would do that if he was interested in coaching next year. Lerner should be interviewing GMs first so the GM has a say in the next HC. The Rooney Rule is just going to delay the whole process.

Guest ATENEARS

Lerner has a "closed door" interview with the local media on Monday. No camera's allowed and that has the media buzzing with disappointment. The Media was pleading that Lerner owes it to the fans for him to talk directly tio them (through the camera).

I say, "Who cares" ... we don't deserve anything but a winner. I could care less if he gave the interview naked. I don't want to see any fanfare, I wanna see only results.

Cowher signed a new 7 figure contract with CBS to be a studio analyst last week. Hard to believe he would do that if he was interested in coaching next year. Lerner should be interviewing GMs first so the GM has a say in the next HC. The Rooney Rule is just going to delay the whole process.

Unless he is looking to try and get cowher to be gm and coach i agree the gm should choose the coach...o gawd here we go again.../sigh

I'm glad both of them are going. And you're right. I don't want Lerner hiring the next coach and then hiring a GM.

Could somebody please help Randy Checkbook understand the whole chain of command thing?

Randy, listen.... You don't want to run the organization. I get that. You like soccer. Cool. Sell the team. Preferably to someone named Rooney or Kraft. They seem to have their act together. Listen, I don't like Pittsburgh either. But it's not because they're a division opponent. It's not because they beat us every time either. I hate them because they're a great example of an organization that functions properly. Salt in the wound to us Browns fans. I know, you're unaware. You'd have to be here to realize it.

If selling's not an option, hire a GM with leadership qualities and let HIM hire the next coach. Make this his baby. You write the checks, GM makes decisions on salary cap and fun number stuff like that. His coach, the guy who works with the players on a daily basis is the guy you want making the final decision on who plays every week. This way you know who to fire should the need arise, and not have to flush the whole thing. Got a losing record? fire the coach. Over the salary cap? fire the GM. Got it? good. Glad I could help.

P.S. Can we get some onions for the hot dogs?

Lerner did not attend the game. A source said that Lerner was lining up interviews with Bill Cowher and other coaching candidates -- including at least two minorities to comply with the NFL's "Rooney Rule."

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/12/i..._woeful_in.html

Before the game was even finished, General Manager Phil Savage knew he had been fired by owner Randy Lerner. Savage returned to Cleveland by car while the rest of the Browns' contingent bused home.

LOL! Putting the Big Wussy in an ambulance was a nice parting gift. I got all choked up myself when I was watching them put ribbons around the stretcher. All we needed a was bow on the helmet and a note indicating "All our Love" and there's the best going away present any Head Coach has ever received.

- Tom F. (Now on the hot seat - Pittsburgh's first head coach that didn't play in Cleveland. Do we see 0-2 at home in January?)

Archived