THE BROWNS BOARD

Pat Shurmur Hired As New Cleveland Browns Head Coach

TheClevelandSound

I remember when I first joined 2 years ago when Mangini got fired someone started a thread of if they liked the hire or not. No debating, no name calling and no shoulda woulda couldas. The question is: Do you like the hire? Plain and simple. Please answer yes or no only.

My answer is yes.

Yes.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope we surround this guy with good coordinators...

I'm not going to think Shurmur is going to come in and lead us to the playoffs, I've learned my lesson on that thinking, but I really do like that we didn't go out and try to land the "big fish" like a lot of fans wanted us to do. I like that this guy is relatively unknown and is going to get the chance to make a name for himself here under a competent FO.

Seriously give the guy a chance.. For all those Mangini lovers who are still bitter get over it.. Im sick of hearing about 2 years..

No one was more crushed than me that Gayboy Gruden didnt come here. But thats over with..

Give the guy a chance....

if he goes 10-22 then you can start your rants!

Seriously give the guy a chance.. For all those Mangini lovers who are still bitter get over it.. Im sick of hearing about 2 years..

No one was more crushed than me that Gayboy Gruden didnt come here. But thats over with..

Give the guy a chance....

if he goes 10-22 then you can start your rants!

Why should we? All we heard for 2 years was WAAAAAAAAAAAA! Pretty stupid huh?

I remember when I first joined 2 years ago when Mangini got fired someone started a thread of if they liked the hire or not. No debating, no name calling and no shoulda woulda couldas. The question is: Do you like the hire? Plain and simple. Please answer yes or no only.

My answer is yes.

Yes...mainly because his background is offense.

Put it this way, If MH thinks Shurmer is a better fit than HIMSELF as head coach, thats good enough in my book and that speaks volumes of this guy that no one on this board has a clue about other than his history of coaching football.

i don't know if it's good or bad. how about an answer like: don't know or undecided.

let's be honest are the people saying that he molded bradford into an nfl QB for real? pleeeez. the guy was closest to nfl starter before being drafted and what does a shurmer do to help him, hold his leg straight while he pisses?

i really hope this guy can do something cuz even though i want wins and want to be positive: if this doesn't work in 2 years i'll be the first to shout for both he and holmgren's heads. (sound familiar anti-mangini douches?)

yeah whoever said it's the holmgren show now is right. but did you ever think that that show is old and busted?

Some of LaMonte's clients include:

Mike Holmgren (Cleveland Browns President)

Brad Childress (Former Minnesota Vikings Head Coach)

John Fox (Carolina Panthers Head Coach)

Josh McDaniels (Former Denver Broncos Head Coach)

Andy Reid (Philadelphia Eagles Head Coach/Executive VP)

Mike Singletary (Former San Francisco 49ers Head Coach)

Steve Spagnuolo (St. Louis Rams Head Coach)

Mike Sherman (Texas A&M Aggies football Head Coach)

Charlie Weis (Kansas City Chiefs Offensive Coordinator)

Mike Martz (Chicago Bears Offensive Coordinator)

Mike Nolan (Miami Dolphins Defensive Coordinator)

Al Saunders (Baltimore Ravens Offensive Consultant)

Gunther Cunningham (Detroit Lions Defensive Coordinator)

Leslie Frazier (Minnesota Vikings Head Coach)

Mike Heimerdinger (Tennessee Titans Offensive Coordinator)

Mike McCoy (Denver Broncos Offensive Coordinator)

Marty Mornhinweg (Philadelphia Eagles Offensive Coordinator)

Pat Shurmur (Cleveland Browns Head Coach)

Tom Heckert (Cleveland Browns General Manager)

Chris Polian (Indianapolis Colts General Manager)

Mark Dominik (Tampa Bay Buccaneers General Manager)

Rick Smith (Houston Texans General Manager)

Chris Carpenter (St. Louis Cardinals Pitcher)

Pat Hentgen (Former Toronto Blue Jays Pitcher)

Dave Steib (Former Toronto Blue Jays Pitcher)

Joe Nedney (San Francisco 49ers Placekicker)

Jon Gruden (ESPN Analyst for Monday Night Football)

I'd say LaMonte's very wealthy. :) I Haven't heard anything bad about him, so that's a plus. But IMHO it's a little more than coincidence H&H hire another LaMonte guy.

Why should we? All we heard for 2 years was WAAAAAAAAAAAA! Pretty stupid huh?

I think that's what Reb just said: If he doesn't win, THEN start bitching.

I personally expect the Browns to win at least 8 games next year and preferably 10, assuming we even play 16 (or 18) games. I think we're at the point where we'll have the talent to expect that, and the schedule isn't bad.

If we suck and go 6-10? I'll put the whole program on notice. They'll have one more season to show some progress.

I think this move was pretty inevitable and if anything I'm disappointed that next year isn't Year Two in the WCO. I never believed Holmgren would take over the Browns but just hang around watching guys he doesn't know run systems he doesn't believe in. I'm surprised anybody really expect that to happen.

I personally expect the Browns to win at least 8 games next year and preferably 10, assuming we even play 16 (or 18) games. I think we're at the point where we'll have the talent to expect that, and the schedule isn't bad.

If we suck and go 6-10? I'll put the whole program on notice. They'll have one more season to show some progress.

I think this move was pretty inevitable and if anything I'm disappointed that next year isn't Year Two in the WCO. I never believed Holmgren would take over the Browns but just hang around watching guys he doesn't know run systems he doesn't believe in. I'm surprised anybody really expect that to happen.

so you're a two year plan guy? period. no matter what?

There are two teams in our division in the playoffs right now and both of them are built on strong defenses. We'll see how an offense minded WCO style plays out. I knew we weren't going to get a big name guy because the only big name that would have been our coach is Holmgren. I don't know if I like or dislike the hire yet but I do know that Holmgren wanted to have much more say in coaching the team and he brought in a guy that will allow that to happen. The way it looks right now is that Shurmur will be an extension of Holmgren and that is exactly how Holmgren wants it.

People are still overlooking the biggest thing.

Next years combined opponents records is 98-104.

We will have success. Just like in 2007.

While I see what you're saying and am hoping you are right, I see that stat a little bit differently, our opponents combine to be almost 8-8 last year, while we struggled to earn 5-11. Two sides to every coin I suppose, like I said I hope you are right but I guess I'm a pessimist (Gee I wonder why!).

GO SHURM! GO BROWNS!

Holmgren knew that nobody was going to win last year with our talent and schedule. He simply let mangini take the fall for it instead of bringing in a new coach who would be criticized. This way he has control of everything and added another year for his guy.

Almost every successful (super bowl) WCO offensive team had a great QB with the exception of Seattle for one year. They didn't just dink and dunk they threw the ball down the field. Warner was a great QB in his prime, so was Favre. I don't picture Colt reaching that level but he will be able to dink and dunk

Holmgren knew that nobody was going to win last year with our talent and schedule. He simply let mangini take the fall for it instead of bringing in a new coach who would be criticized. This way he has control of everything and added another year for his guy.

Almost every successful (super bowl) WCO offensive team had a great QB with the exception of Seattle for one year. They didn't just dink and dunk they threw the ball down the field. Warner was a great QB in his prime, so was Favre. I don't picture Colt reaching that level but he will be able to dink and dunk

actually that isnt correct.. Heckert signed off on Mangini love for old age LBs like barton and bowens. It was mangini love for x jets special team players that cost him his job..

Guest DarrenUK

What can we expect as far as free agency and draft moves now we are moving to the W C offense ?

Who do people on here see being a good fit into our scheme ?

This is my first post on here, I have been a Browns fan since the 80s when Football was first shown on TV in the UK, fell in love with the team blessed with Kosar, Mac and Byner and have been a fan ever since, I moved to USA in 2005 so I get to see more Browns games on TV and have seen them live here in Florida 3 times this year and once last year in Jacksonville ....... I do not know much about the new coach but I will support him 100% as long as he gives his all to the team.

GO BROWNS

Difference being, the DAY Mangini was hired, the bitching started, and never stopped even though many areas of the team improved despite the lack of depth and talent......

Pat Shurmur eeeeeH!!! Hope it works, but I'm not sold. I think its just a way to perpetuate Holmgren's West Coast O dream. I really wonder if the West Coast will work against the Ravins and Steeler D's???

What can we expect as far as free agency and draft moves now we are moving to the W C offense ?

Who do people on here see being a good fit into our scheme ?

This is my first post on here, I have been a Browns fan since the 80s when Football was first shown on TV in the UK, fell in love with the team blessed with Kosar, Mac and Byner and have been a fan ever since, I moved to USA in 2005 so I get to see more Browns games on TV and have seen them live here in Florida 3 times this year and once last year in Jacksonville ....... I do not know much about the new coach but I will support him 100% as long as he gives his all to the team.

GO BROWNS

Welcome

Browns since 1999 pre-Shurmur:

Seasons 12

W-L 64-128

Win pct .333

Playoff app 1

10-loss seasons 9

Browns Hypothetically after Shurmur:

Seasons 10

W-L 130-30

Win pct .888

Playoff app 10

10-loss seasons 0

Just being optomistic :)

The best thing about hiring Shurmur is that it wasnt Marvin Lewis.

Archived