THE BROWNS BOARD

Pat Shurmur Hired As New Cleveland Browns Head Coach

TheClevelandSound

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...head_coach.html

BEREA -- Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur has been named the Browns' fifth head coach since they returned as an expansion franchise in 1999.

In doing so, Browns President Mike Holmgren is retracing the path which led him to his first NFL head coaching job in Green Bay 19 years ago.

Shurmur was never a head coach at any level. But like Holmgren and his many eventual coaching proteges, Shurmur learned the NFL game as a quarterbacks coach and then as a coordinator in the pass-first offensive system now commonly referred to as the West Coast offense.

Others who followed the path paved by Holmgren include Steve Mariucci, Andy Reid, Marty Mornhinweg and Brad Childress. Jon Gruden started as a receivers coach before ascending to coordinator and then head coach. Of those, only Mornhinweg failed to reached the playoffs as an NFL head coach.

Shurmur, 45, never worked with Holmgren, but learned his offensive system under Reid in Philadelphia for 10 years -- the last seven as Eagles quarterbacks coach. For eight of those years, Browns General Manager Tom Heckert held various titles as the head of the Eagles' player personnel department.

Shurmur's connections to Holmgren stretch farther. He is the nephew of the late Fritz Shurmur, who was Holmgren's defensive coordinator in Green Bay for five seasons in the 1990s. Shurmur also shares the same agent, Bob LaMonte, as Holmgren and Heckert and numerous other branches of the Holmgren coaching tree.

Shurmur left the Eagles in 2009 to become coordinator in St. Louis under former Eagles defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo. They were members of Reid's initial coaching staff in Philadelphia in 1999.

When Shurmur arrived in St. Louis, the Rams were coming off a 2-14 season and their offense ranked 27th. In 2009, they fell to 1-15 and the offense dipped to 29th. The arrival of quarterback Sam Bradford with the No. 1 choice in the 2010 draft had an instant impact. With Bradford starting every game, the Rams improved to 7-9 and their offensive ranking inched up to 26th.

Like the Browns, the Rams were hampered by an inexperienced receiving corps after injuries wiped out veterans Donnie Avery and Mark Clayton. They were 26th in points with 289 -- five notches ahead of the Browns (31st), who had 271. The Rams' 21 giveaways were eight fewer than the Browns' 29.

Shurmur received some criticism for play selection in the Rams' season-ending 16-6 loss to Seattle, which cost the Rams a spot in the playoffs as NFC West champion. In that game, Rams 1,200-yard running back Steve Jackson carried the ball only 11 times for 45 yards. He had only four rushing attempts in the second half. The Rams had seven possessions in the second half and none longer than six plays.

Shurmur, a native of Dearborn, Mich., was a three-year starter at center for Michigan State University in the late 1980s. He returned to the school in 1990 to launch his coaching career and coached tight ends, special teams and assisted on the offensive line for a span of eight years. He worked under former Browns defensive coordinator Nick Saban the last five years.

Shurmur moved to Stanford University in 1998 as offensive line coach before joining Reid in Philadelphia in 1999 as tight ends coach.

Reid named Shurmur quarterbacks coach in 2002. In that role through 2009, he was position coach for Eagles quarterbacks Donovan McNabb, A.J. Feeley, Koy Detmer, Jeff Garcia, and Kevin Kolb.

Shurmur is the first Browns head coach with purely an offensive background since Chris Palmer in 1999. He represents a final break from the Bill Belichick coaching tree, which spawned the Browns' last two coaches, Eric Mangini and Romeo Crennel.

When he launched the search to replace Mangini, Holmgren tipped off his intentions when he said, "I can get real excited about finding a young guy and having him take the ball and go with it."

Holmgren also said it would be "a pretty wide search ... we're not limiting ourselves in any way."

But only three candidates were formally interviewed. Shurmur was the first, following by Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey and Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell.

Former Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh turned down the Browns' invitation for an interview before he accepted the 49ers head coach job. Also, Gruden, who was considered a hot candidate before the search began because of his history with Holmgren, never was interviewed and said he would return to the ESPN announcing booth in 2011.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Browns name Shurmur head coachPosted 14 minutes ago

The Browns named Pat Shurmur the 13th full-time head coach in franchise history, the team announced Thursday afternoon.

The Cleveland Browns today named Pat Shurmur as the 13th full-time head coach in franchise history.

Shurmur’s résumé includes 23 years of coaching experience, including 12 in the NFL. In those 12 seasons, he has been a part of teams that have qualified for the playoffs seven times, won five division crowns and posted one Super Bowl appearance.

“It’s an honor and a privilege to join an organization with such a rich history and tradition as the Cleveland Browns,” Shurmur said. “I have the utmost respect for Coach Holmgren and Tom Heckert, and I am impressed with the direction in which they have this franchise going. I have known Tom for most of my pro coaching career, and while we were in Philadelphia, he and I developed an outstanding relationship. I want to thank Mike and Tom, as well as Randy Lerner, for this tremendous opportunity. I also want to thank the St. Louis Rams and Steve Spagnuolo for two terrific seasons and for giving me a chance to be a coordinator at this level. I am looking forward to this challenge and can’t wait to get started in helping to build the Browns back to one of the elite teams in the NFL.”

“I am extremely excited about having Pat Shurmur as the next head coach of the Cleveland Browns,” said Browns President Mike Holmgren. “Pat is a bright, young man who grew up in football and around the coaching profession. I came away from our interview very impressed with him as a person, his extensive knowledge of the game and his track record of success as an assistant coach in this league. Most importantly, I feel as though he possesses the necessary qualities which make him the right man to lead our football team.”

Shurmur spent the past two seasons (2009-10) as the offensive coordinator with the St. Louis Rams. He helped the Rams improve to a 7-9 record following a 1-15 season in 2009, the second-biggest turnaround in the league this past season. In 2010, he guided St. Louis’ offense to improvements in nearly every category including total yards, time of possession and third-down percentage, while they also scored 114 more points than the previous year. In addition, the Rams committed just 21 turnovers in 2010, tied for the ninth-lowest total in the NFL.

He helped shape quarterback Sam Bradford, the top pick in the 2010 draft, as Bradford set NFL rookie records for completions (354) and attempts (590), while his 3,512 passing yards were the second-most by a rookie in league history, trailing only Peyton Manning's 3,739 in 1998. Bradford's 18 touchdown passes tied for fifth-most among rookies in NFL history. During a midseason stretch, he set an NFL rookie record with 174 consecutive attempts without an interception.

Along with starting a rookie quarterback, the team’s second-round pick, Rodger Saffold, was the only NFL rookie to start all 16 games at left tackle in 2010. The Rams allowed just 34 sacks despite attempting the fifth-most passing plays in the NFL this past season, which placed the team 12th in the league in sacks per pass play.

Also under Shurmur, Rams running back Steven Jackson was selected to the NFC Pro Bowl squad both years. Jackson claimed the NFC rushing title in 2009 with 1,416 yards. Jackson’s rushing totals each of the past two seasons (1,241 in 2010) represent two of the three highest rushing figures of his seven-year NFL career.

Prior to joining the Rams, Shurmur spent 10 seasons with the Philadelphia Eagles (1999-2008). He served as the team’s quarterbacks coach from 2002-08 and helped Donovan McNabb to three Pro Bowl selections during his tenure. In 2008, McNabb set Eagles single-season records with 345 completions and 3,916 passing yards.

In 2004, Shurmur guided McNabb to the most productive season of his career, as he set franchise records in passer rating (104.7) and completion percentage (64.0). McNabb also became the first quarterback in NFL history with 30-plus touchdown passes (31) and fewer than 10 interceptions (8) in a single season.

During his first season as quarterbacks coach, Shurmur turned to third-string quarterback A.J. Feeley after injuries to McNabb and Koy Detmer. Despite not having started a game in three years, since his junior season at Oregon, Feeley helped the Eagles post a 4-1 record, as they won the NFC East and advanced to the NFC title game. Shurmur faced another quarterback injury in 2006 and turned to backup Jeff Garcia, who helped the club to a 5-1 record and led Philadelphia into the Divisional round of the playoffs.

Shurmur’s first three seasons in Philadelphia (1999-2001) were spent as tight ends coach, where he developed three-time Pro Bowler Chad Lewis. From 2000-01, Lewis combined for 110 receptions, 1,157 receiving yards and nine touchdowns. His reception total ranked fourth among all NFL tight ends during that two-year span, while he was tied for fourth in touchdowns and fifth in receiving yards.

Before joining the Eagles, Shurmur spent the 1998 season at Stanford University as offensive line coach. That year, the Cardinal offensive line allowed the fewest sacks per pass attempt in the Pac-10 and helped first-year quarterback Todd Husak become only the third quarterback in school history to throw for more 3,000 yards.

Prior to Stanford, Shurmur instructed the tight ends, special teams and offensive line at Michigan State University from 1990-97. The Spartans sent three tight ends (Ty Hallock, Duane Young and Mitch Lyons) to the NFL under Shurmur’s guidance, and kick returner Derrick Mason set a school career record with 2,575 return yards.

A four-year letterman at Michigan State, Shurmur earned All-Big Ten conference honors and All-America honorable mention accolades in 1987. He played guard and linebacker as a freshman and started at center the next three seasons. He served as co-captain as a senior when the Spartans defeated USC in the Rose Bowl. He earned a master’s degree in financial administration and was the first graduate student football player at the University.

A native of Dearborn, Mich., who attended Divine Child High School, Shurmur comes from a football background. His uncle, the late Fritz Shurmur, coached in the NFL for 24 years and served as the Green Bay Packers’ defensive coordinator from 1994-98 and helped that club win two NFC Championships and Super Bowl XXXI.

Born April 14, 1965, Pat and his wife, Jennifer, have four children, daughters Allyson, Erica and Claire, and a son, Kyle.

Pat Shurmur Coaching Background:

1988-89 Michigan State University, graduate assistant coach

1990-97 Michigan State University, tight ends/special teams/offensive line coach

1998 Stanford University, offensive line coach

1999-2001 Philadelphia Eagles, tight ends/offensive line coach

2002-08 Philadelphia Eagles, quarterbacks coach

2009-10 St. Louis Rams, offensive coordinator

2011 Cleveland Browns, head coach

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/articl...ce-5b5cc5121945

Shurmur....worked under former Browns defensive coordinator Nick Saban the last five years.

Shurmur is the first Browns head coach with purely an offensive background since Chris Palmer in 1999. He represents a final break from the Bill Belichick coaching tree, which spawned the Browns' last two coaches, Eric Mangini and Romeo Crennel.

Uh, if Shurmur worked for so long under Nick Saban I think it CAN be fair to say that he is also a member of the Bill Belichick "coaching tree"....as Saban of course was the DC here with Belichick for the 5 years BB was here.

How about this then, biblical style:

Paul Brown begat:

...Bill Walsh who begat:

......Mike Holmgren who begat:

.........Andy Reid who begat:

............Pat Shurmur.

So? Is Shurmur just a matter of bringing it all home to the shores of Lake Erie?

i like your style.

Im more interested in who pat will choose for his trusty sidekick coordinators because that overall is more telling of his ability to coach this team...

There is so little about shurmur so few headlines just celebrating rams fans glad to be rid of him, they should make their way to the board soon to give us their condolences as many are apologetic that we got him as a HC, many dont think he was ready to be an OC and cant believe he is now a HC.

I dont care much for spags and i know how his system works so we gotta give coach shumur the benefit of doubt here...hehehehehe

I like it a lot. It basically signals that the Browns are going to be Holmgren's team... and Holmgren is the prized pupil of my favorite coach of all time, Bill Walsh. In the WCO Mafia, Shurmur is the next guy up. My gut says if not for two years helping to turn around a truly busted franchise, if he were coming off 10 years with the Eagles and 7 as the QB coach, we'd like the pick. That's how Mariucci became the Niners head coach, right? From Green Bay QB coach to SF head coach.

I'm sure we'll see an OC from that tree, maybe Bevell. Not sure if we'll keep Ryan and the 3-4 (my preference) or go all in and hire John Fox to overhaul it.

The only thing that I don't like hearing about this is that "Shurmur also shares the same agent, Bob LaMonte, as Holmgren and Heckert and numerous other branches of the Holmgren coaching tree." I don't like that Holmgren limits ALL of his searches to within his agents client list.

And so it began, lets see what the guy has give him a chance and look foward to adding some much needed pieces in the draft

He has all of the tools necessary to win now or Mangini wouldn't have been fired for his number of wins. The wait is over playoffs this year easily

Love it.

WRREBELL is sitting in a dark corner weeping with a wine cooler, while holding an unused picture of Gruden with a hole cut out where his mouth is.

Dustin Fox, who played for GlenOak and Ohio State, got to know Shurmur fairly well when he was with the Eagles a few years ago. “He was a really cool guy,” Fox said just before Shurmer was hired today. “The players liked him. All the quarterbacks really liked him.” Fox acknowledges that many of you wanted a rock star to be the next head coach, but he supposes Mike Holmgren knows what he is doing. “Big names don’t always get you wins,” Fox said. “Sometimes an up and comer could prove to be a great one.”

Like that he's been a part of winning teams:

http://cle.scout.com/2/1039251.html

"Shurmur, 45, has spent 12 of his 23 seasons coaching football in the NFL. In those 12 seasons, the Browns said, Shurmur has been apart of teams that have qualified for the playoffs seven times, won five divisions crowns and appeared in one Super Bowl."

I remember when I first joined 2 years ago when Mangini got fired someone started a thread of if they liked the hire or not. No debating, no name calling and no shoulda woulda couldas. The question is: Do you like the hire? Plain and simple. Please answer yes or no only.

My answer is yes.

The only thing that I don't like hearing about this is that "Shurmur also shares the same agent, Bob LaMonte, as Holmgren and Heckert and numerous other branches of the Holmgren coaching tree." I don't like that Holmgren limits ALL of his searches to within his agents client list.

Thanks for pointing that out Ate- I saw that tidbit on Cleveland.com too. The whole front office is Lamonte clients. LOL, any players that have Bob as their agent?

Now as to that coaching tree, several notable busts- Mooch and Childress. So I'll give Shurmur a 40% chance of success. I'm from Missouri, so SHOW ME Pat before I claim this to be good or bad for the Browns. And I'm not buying the "in Holmgren we trust" mantra. Heard it before, and it didn't work too well with another GM.

How about some first rate offensive and defensive coordinators for a change? Look what KC did with Weiss and Crennell. Fox is fine if he doesn't land a head coaching gig. McDaniels is probably out because he falls off the Bilichick tree.

PS do I like the hire? Neutral- ask me how I like the hire next January.

Thanks for pointing that out Ate- I saw that tidbit on Cleveland.com too. The whole front office is Lamonte clients. LOL, any players that have Bob as their agent?

Now as to that coaching tree, several notable busts- Mooch and Childress. So I'll give Shurmur a 40% chance of success. I'm from Missouri, so SHOW ME Pat before I claim this to be good or bad for the Browns. And I'm not buying the "in Holmgren we trust" mantra. Heard it before, and it didn't work too well with another GM.

How about some first rate offensive and defensive coordinators for a change? Look what KC did with Weiss and Crennell. Fox is fine if he doesn't land a head coaching gig. McDaniels is probably out because he falls off the Bilichick tree.

PS do I like the hire? Neutral- ask me how I like the hire next January.

Some of LaMonte's clients include:

Mike Holmgren (Cleveland Browns President)

Brad Childress (Former Minnesota Vikings Head Coach)

John Fox (Carolina Panthers Head Coach)

Josh McDaniels (Former Denver Broncos Head Coach)

Andy Reid (Philadelphia Eagles Head Coach/Executive VP)

Mike Singletary (Former San Francisco 49ers Head Coach)

Steve Spagnuolo (St. Louis Rams Head Coach)

Mike Sherman (Texas A&M Aggies football Head Coach)

Charlie Weis (Kansas City Chiefs Offensive Coordinator)

Mike Martz (Chicago Bears Offensive Coordinator)

Mike Nolan (Miami Dolphins Defensive Coordinator)

Al Saunders (Baltimore Ravens Offensive Consultant)

Gunther Cunningham (Detroit Lions Defensive Coordinator)

Leslie Frazier (Minnesota Vikings Head Coach)

Mike Heimerdinger (Tennessee Titans Offensive Coordinator)

Mike McCoy (Denver Broncos Offensive Coordinator)

Marty Mornhinweg (Philadelphia Eagles Offensive Coordinator)

Pat Shurmur (Cleveland Browns Head Coach)

Tom Heckert (Cleveland Browns General Manager)

Chris Polian (Indianapolis Colts General Manager)

Mark Dominik (Tampa Bay Buccaneers General Manager)

Rick Smith (Houston Texans General Manager)

Chris Carpenter (St. Louis Cardinals Pitcher)

Pat Hentgen (Former Toronto Blue Jays Pitcher)

Dave Steib (Former Toronto Blue Jays Pitcher)

Joe Nedney (San Francisco 49ers Placekicker)

Jon Gruden (ESPN Analyst for Monday Night Football)

Some of LaMonte's clients include:

Mike Holmgren (Cleveland Browns President)

Brad Childress (Former Minnesota Vikings Head Coach)

John Fox (Carolina Panthers Head Coach)

Josh McDaniels (Former Denver Broncos Head Coach)

Andy Reid (Philadelphia Eagles Head Coach/Executive VP)

Mike Singletary (Former San Francisco 49ers Head Coach)

Steve Spagnuolo (St. Louis Rams Head Coach)

Mike Sherman (Texas A&M Aggies football Head Coach)

Charlie Weis (Kansas City Chiefs Offensive Coordinator)

Mike Martz (Chicago Bears Offensive Coordinator)

Mike Nolan (Miami Dolphins Defensive Coordinator)

Al Saunders (Baltimore Ravens Offensive Consultant)

Gunther Cunningham (Detroit Lions Defensive Coordinator)

Leslie Frazier (Minnesota Vikings Head Coach)

Mike Heimerdinger (Tennessee Titans Offensive Coordinator)

Mike McCoy (Denver Broncos Offensive Coordinator)

Marty Mornhinweg (Philadelphia Eagles Offensive Coordinator)

Pat Shurmur (Cleveland Browns Head Coach)

Tom Heckert (Cleveland Browns General Manager)

Chris Polian (Indianapolis Colts General Manager)

Mark Dominik (Tampa Bay Buccaneers General Manager)

Rick Smith (Houston Texans General Manager)

Chris Carpenter (St. Louis Cardinals Pitcher)

Pat Hentgen (Former Toronto Blue Jays Pitcher)

Dave Steib (Former Toronto Blue Jays Pitcher)

Joe Nedney (San Francisco 49ers Placekicker)

Jon Gruden (ESPN Analyst for Monday Night Football)

Who cares.

Archived