THE BROWNS BOARD

IT'S THE UNIFORMS...STUPID!!!

gmp

Keep the Uniforms the same. It's tradition, and that is a good thing. We don't need some gay new uniform to "bring" in new fans. Win's brings in fans, and keep fans. Nothing else. You think our uniforms are plain, look at Penn State.

Indeed the uniforms is the tradition, however..the NFL is a bizness first...ya know, makin dough ray me.......The uniforms are boring, boring, boring...Keep the helmet, and go to work on the rest of the uniform...

Giant companies like BUD, and Microsoft, try to keep their finger on the pulse of changing with time...

Stop being such a scared bunch of little girlscouts...

THe point is, these uniforms have worn out the welcome years ago..many years ago.....It's time to build some new moments in time with different uniform design......

Never did I say change from the orange and brown. Nor did I say to change the uni's to attract bandwaggoners. What I did say was change is good and there is nothing...NOTHING wrong with moving forward.

The uniforms look like our city. Like it or not, people are moving away in droves because our city, like our team, is unwilling to change and is stuck in the past. If you didn't grow up loving the team, you'd agree with virtually every other NFL fan when they always vote our uniforms as being one of the ugliest in the league. It's like having an ugly daughter that you can't figure out why she hasn't had a date by her 40th birthday. Like that movie Shallow Hal where he sees beauty while everyone else sees a fat chick.

Of course this board is going to be heavy on the 'traditionalists' who don't want new uniforms. That's what these boards are for - the fans that will be fans no matter what. Well, guess what? We need to worry about attracting new and young fans. For the record, my 2 year old son and 7 year old daughter both have jerseys and have since they were infants (son - #73 Thomas, daughter #10 Quinn of course), so I will wear and support whatever they wear. But there are plenty of young fans who know NOTHING about the Browns other than losing. They aren't attracted to anything about the team, including the uniforms.

There aren't THAT many die-hards left when you compare to other teams. Look around you. Today I was in Stow at OfficeMax where 2 young gals were checking out customers BOTH in Polamalu jerseys. I then went to Giant Eagle to see 3 more f'in Steeler jerseys. I was solo in wearing my Browns sweatshirt. Don't you see this around you as well?

You can argue winning will cure all, but when will that come? It's been a loooooooong time. And there are no guarantees we'll win anytime soon.

Don't fool yourselves into thinking we have a vast fanbase. You're idiots if you honestly believe that. I'd bet good money that if you polled fans under the age of 20 who they root for and the fanbase of the Browns would be in the bottom third of the league as for total fans.

Or, just turn a blind eye like the City does and watch as our fanbase continues to dwindle just as our population does.

Just my opinion, speaking up for the others that dare not challenge 'tradition'.......

When your Entire History is played in these uniforms... You going to get this reaction. So as much Bad memories that are in theses uniforms . All your NFL Titles are also IN these Uniforms. As an outside observer most of my friends like the Orange Jerseys.

Helmet logo, helmet logo, helmet logo !

Every team has a logo but us with just a 'helmet and color'.

Helmet logo, orange jerseys as alternates and orange pants with the away jerseys.

Although, as stated several times, the uniforms will change nothing. It might buy some recognition for a week or so next season, but the bottom line is the uniforms don't 'buy' fans. The team does.

The Giants jerseys have gone back to plain blue. Lots of those around, I wonder why ?

I really doubt we'll see Monday Night Football again for the next 10 years just because the team LOOKS good.

I have to remind those wanting a helmet logo BECAUSE the Browns are the only team in the NFL not having a helmet logo, that in and of itself makes them unique. On the college level, hmmm Penn State and (at least at the start of the season) Ohio State's helmets are unadorned by any logo- far preferable to the abomination Michigan wears. And as long as Randy Lerner owns the Browns the plain helmet is never going to change. The Madison Avenue types already suggested it and Al Lerner emphatically shot it down. Just what the hell do you think a "Brown" is anyway? It can't be proved, and while he was alive he denied it, the preponderance of evidence says the team was named after Paul Brown. I don't want a picture of the former Bengals owner on the Browns helmet, thank you very much. Ain't (thanks to NFL rules) the neutered Dawg Pound either. If ANYTHING belongs on the helmet, the only thing remotely tolerable is the Elf.

PS- to those that want the orange jerseys, they look too much like Syracuse's or Auburns. Don't like 'em.

When your Entire History is played in these uniforms... You going to get this reaction. So as much Bad memories that are in theses uniforms . All your NFL Titles are also IN these Uniforms. As an outside observer most of my friends like the Orange Jerseys.

Believe me, I knew the reaction I'd get. Although I look like a newcomer, I've been on this board before - just lost my history somehow. I'm not on here constantly chatting, but I check it all the time. Plus, I am immersed in the Browns culture, been around long enough and understand the mentality.

Although I own 8 psl's and attend about 6 Browns games a year, I also go to at least 2-3 other nfl games a year. With my line of work, I often attend a game a year in Pittsburgh, K.C, New York and/or some other cities. I've been to 24 NFL cities and stadiums for gameday (and I do think we have one of the best stadiums around - tailgates are better in several other cities, however). What I see that really concerns me is the Cleveland Brown fanbase that is dwindling. I see other cities and other teams jerseys all over the place in other cities. But very little Browns. Every time I'm at a tailgate wearing my Clay Matthews #57 (whether the Browns are playing in the game or not), I'll inevitebly get a comment here or there about it. And this is what I get: Ages 50+: fans of other teams give me the thumbs up and tell me every time they see the Browns jersey it brings back memories. Ages 40-50: mixed reaction. Ages 30-40: mostly comments about how rough we have it and comments more directed at the team. Ages 30 and under: snickers and chiding.

To an entire generation or two, the uniforms represent futility. And here is one big problem with that: Virtually all of the players currently in the NFL are of this generation. Did anyone even realize the reaction of the players and how excited they were to wear the brown pants? Silly? Maybe. But they were still excited. Why? Because it is something new. It represents change and a move forward. Not just the Winslows and Edwards either, but also Cribbs and others. Granted, they fell flat and played like dog crap, but as we saw the rest of the year, it definitely wasn't the uni's that made them play poorly. The point is the players are changing. The personalities are changing. Society is changing. But Cleveland is staying the same. It would be one thing to stay the same if we'd been in 8 Super Bowls (or even one in the past 20 years), but we haven't. It's been 44 f'in years. FORTY-FOUR. That's one four followed be ANOTHER four. That's eleven presidential terms. I think you know where I'm headed.

All I'm saying is they need some updating. Lose some of the striping, especially on the sleeve. No helmet logo - absolutely not. But what about a logo on the sleeve or something? How about going a little Buckeye and instead of a plain orange on the helmet give it something like the OSU helmets to make them look metallic. Kind of like the paint job on the tank of a Harley or a hot rod. I'm not saying get crazy like the Bills and outline the numbers a thousand times, but clean it up. Add some spice.

I'm just making some suggestions and know I'll get ridiculed for worrying about fashion and other crap. But that's not it. I just think this team is in dire need of a facelift on everything about it. We need to hold on to the past but not get stuck in it as we most often do.

Go Browns!

You notice the reactions are based on what the people seeing you remember, the older ones remember the very successful days, the slightly younger remember the 80's and early 90's alot of them probably gave up following the Browns with the move. The younger ones don't remember us as winners. Start winning and that will change, change the win loss record not the uniforms.

Guest ATENEARS

I get your point Squintz ... it's the same reason we allowed the fag-o-meter (Thanks button), Chat rooms, Gayvatar's, smillies, etc... here. Times are changing (or have changed) and you have to roll with it to accomodate all (including the young). We didn't need those accessories, at least us old-schoolers didn't and we were just fine with a plain ole message board. But if we wanted to compete with other NFL sites, or at least make our members proud that they were with the times, we put them in place to add new life or give the sense that we were evolving.

I was staunch dead against changing the uniforms, but at this point I really don't care anymore (as long as we don't go teal). I can see your point, but ain't ready to "fax" the NFL head office in a campaign for change.

I am ALL FOR some hot cheerleaders as well! If anyone gets the chance to go to the HOF game, it's worth it just to see the teams cheerleader. They're like 5 feet from you. I last went when the Dolphins played. Saw about one play of the game and 70 plays of cheerleaders......

The Elf is the only thing makes sense on the helmet, but it's too damn wimpy looking.

NO to Buckeye look. They're a s bad as the plain orange helmet.

The Dawg logo is not even really a Browns thing, was'nt it started from the fans in the bleachers - the Dawg pound ?

Been a fan for years and never really did get where that came from. Used to dislike it alot too, when I lived in Georgia. UGA Bulldogs - all there were anywhere was 'Dawgs' logos. Numbers look like Alabama - boring as well.

Who has good looking helmets ??? Florida Gators !! ;)

Piss off the Elf (more aggressive look) and put him on the helmet. He's already on alot of sideline gear.

Modell was the one wanted the Elf gone, isn't that reason enough to get it out there ? If for nothing else, it's a shot at Modell. <_<

I am ALL FOR some hot cheerleaders as well! If anyone gets the chance to go to the HOF game, it's worth it just to see the teams cheerleader. They're like 5 feet from you. I last went when the Dolphins played. Saw about one play of the game and 70 plays of cheerleaders......

:lol:

We definately need cheerleaders......maybe call them the Elfettes.

Archived