THE BROWNS BOARD

Phil Savage fired

Guest Aloysius

Savage didnt hire Crennel...Lerner did....

I think that is one thing that hurt us that the GM did not get to hire the coach he wanted, or at least try and get the coach he wanted, being the fact that we were hiring both that year anyway. I do not want to make that mistake again. We need a true team in their not a fake one.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think that is one thing that hurt us that the GM did not get to hire the coach he wanted, or at least try and get the coach he wanted, being the fact that we were hiring both that year anyway. I do not want to make that mistake again. We need a true team in their not a fake one.

I totally agree

while savage isn't a great PR guy, he's a decent evaluator of talent who makes moves to get the players the team needs. we should have found a way to keep him on as director of player personnel or director of scouting.

and crennel absolutely killed savage's tenure here. the last six games have been some of the worst football i've ever watched sixteen minutes of.

Don't blame Crennel for ruining Savage's tenure, Savage could have either fired Crennel or quit at ANY TIME but he stuck with Romeo.

He made his bed and this is what he deserves.

The majors probably won't report it, roach, until it is proven 100%, but the rumor mills are running wild...

Thanks. This rumor may eventually turn out to be true, but if it already happened, the majors would have the story (and WTAM would have put it on their own website). i'm not buying that it has happened until i see it from a source that i've heard of. BTW, there is no business reason or fan reason for the Browns to keep this story off their own website (if it really already happened).

Guest Aloysius

PFT put out a somewhat unnecessary update:

SAVAGE FIRED

Posted by Mike Florio on December 28, 2008, 6:31 p.m.

We heard a couple of hours ago that G.M. Phil Savage is out in Cleveland.

We’re now told that Savage was fired.

It’s likely only a matter of time until coach Romeo Crennel joins him — unless owner Randy Lerner quickly hires Pats V.P. of player personnel Scott Pioli, and if Pioli then decides to find a way to keep Crennel on the staff.

If the Dolphins defeat the Jets and barring a collapse of epic proportions by the Ravens against the Jaguars, the Patriots will be shut out of the playoffs, which would put Pioli immediately in play to be interviewed and hired for a job that gives him final say over personnel.

PFT alluded to the possibility that Crennel's fate may be decided by the new GM. I know alot of people will get their panties in a bunch if RAC doesn't get canned by Wednesday, but it may be left to the new GM to decide if RAC stays or goes...in whatever capacity.

-Al

It seems Phil will get a job somewhere. His resume isn't that bad.

His 10 Pro Bowl players in Baltimore: tackle Jonathan Ogden, linebacker Ray Lewis, receiver Jermaine Lewis, linebacker Peter Boulware, defensive back Chris McAlister, running back Jamal Lewis, linebacker Adalius Thomas, tight end Todd Heap, safety Ed Reed and linebacker Terrell Suggs.

His 8 Pro Bowl players in Cleveland: long snapper Ryan Pontbriand, special teams Joshua Cribbs, wide receiver Braylon Edwards, left tackle Joe Thomas, QB Derek Anderson, TE Kellen Winslow. DT Shaun Rogers and LT Joe Thomas are both going to the Pro Bowl in '09, then Josh Cribbs was selected as first alternate for return and special teams utility, Phil Dawson was selected as a second alternate, and linebacker D'Qwell Jackson and left guard Eric Steinbach were named as third alternates.

Prior to Phil, Jamir Miller in 2002 was the only Browns Pro Bowler since they came back in '99.

To me, the cornerstone of his downfall was not getting anything for DA earlier this year.

His 8 Pro Bowl players in Cleveland: long snapper Ryan Pontbriand, special teams Joshua Cribbs, wide receiver Braylon Edwards, left tackle Joe Thomas, QB Derek Anderson, TE Kellen Winslow. DT Shaun Rogers and LT Joe Thomas are both going to the Pro Bowl in '09, then Josh Cribbs was selected as first alternate for return and special teams utility, Phil Dawson was selected as a second alternate, and linebacker D'Qwell Jackson and left guard Eric Steinbach were named as third alternates.

winslow and pontbriand were drafted by butch davis, and dawson has been here since chris palmer.

Well....I just hope we're all prepared for the 3-4 year rebuilding period. Doesn't matter who the new guy is, but there is always 2-3 years of no accountability under new management. You got what you wished for.

Stupid is staying with proven failures. This needed to happen just like Butch Davis needed to go.

The new GM will be.................RAC

The same RAC who does not play young players, the same RAC who has not developed one young player, the same RAC who prefers washed up vets

I have had enough of RAC.........Please no RAC has a defensive coordinator........What has this defense done that Randy Lerner or anyone with a brain would want RAC as the defensive coordinator unless you want to see more prevent defenses and safties playing 20 yards deep and corners 10 yards off the ball.

Please lets make this the end of Romeo Crennell.........did the Patriots miss a beat without Romeo.....that was Belicheks defense that Romeo was running, we have seen enough of RAC defenses......TIME FOR A CHANGE

We need a new defensive approach, we need a attacking kick butt defense and you won't get that with RAC Mr. Conservative

Guest Aloysius

Tony Grossi chimes in:

Owner Randy Lerner made the decision prior to the game. A source said the decision was based on problems with Savage's communication and leadership skills.

Lerner is hoping to recruit former Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher or New England vice president Scott Pioli to head his revamped football operation. According to a source, Lerner was absent from the game because he was lining up a busy week of interviews this week.

He is expected to meet face-to-face this week with Cowher, who has been telling everyone that he does not intend to return to coaching in 2009.

Lerner also could do personal interviews with a couple of NFL assistant coaches to comply with the league's mandate to interview at least one minority for a head coaching vacancy. The Browns may interview Buffalo defensive coordinator Perry Fewell and Washington defensive coordinator Greg Blache.

The Browns also want to interview New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo in the "window" allotted by the NFL with the Giants on a postseason bye week.

winslow and pontbriand were drafted by butch davis, and dawson has been here since chris palmer.

Yep, true. Still, if the other 5 work out, it wasn't a terrible run. We'll see where McDonald, Wright, Rucker, etc end up. Jamal did a bang up job last year and some how tippy-toed his way to 1000 yards in this terrible year. All water under the bridge now.

I'm also still ticked the NFL drank the '07 Browns Kool-Aid and put us in the same number of prime time games as the Patriots. We had incredible low IR and an incredibly weak schedule and still missed the playoffs. They should have known better. I hope the Dolphins get the gauntlet we had.

i like the idea of interviewing blache. he does a lot with what is, at best, a middling collection of overpriced talent. he really gets those guys to give their all and play as a cohesive unit.

@ ocon: savage can evaluate talent. he just sucks at everything else a GM has to do. he's a director of player personnel, not the point man of an entire organization. but he does know good players when he sees them.

Guest Aloysius
i like the idea of interviewing blache. he does a lot with what is, at best, a middling collection of overpriced talent. he really gets those guys to give their all and play as a cohesive unit.

Didn't realize that Washington's defense is ranked 4th in the league. Pretty impressive.

One drawback: Blache turns 60 in March. But it doesn't hurt to bring him in for an interview.

Here's Chris Mortensen with more on the Savage/RAC firings:

But other than that, the guy brought in a ton of talent.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL. You smoking home grown or you buying it on the street corner. Either way, I want some

"Legalize it - don't criticize it

Legalize it and i will advertise it

Some call it tampee

Some call it the weed

Some call it Marijuana

Some of them call it Ganja

Legalize it - don't criticize it

Legalize it and i will advertise it

Singer smoke it

And players of instruments too

Legalize it, yeah, yeah

That's the best thing you can do