THE BROWNS BOARD

2011 COACHING AND FRONT OFFICE MOVEMENT

shepwrite

Browns football just became irrelevant to me..

I know nothing about this guy other than he is likely not the right guy, he doesnt seem to have the fire or passion and will be nothing more than another eric mangini/romeo crennel, a bump on the log looking like he doesnt have a clue about whats going on or even cares and im sick of manically depressed and or Retarded coaches in mangini's case..

If anyone knows anything about this guy please tell us because most rams fans i have talked to are as happy to see him go as we were to see daboll gone...

yeah my best friends a die hard Rams fan and he was shocked. I get the image in my head of us getting blown out and the same old baffled looked from the head coach..

I am hoping im wrong.. I do remember I was angry when Joe Torre was hired by the Yankees and that seemed to work out for them.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Browns football just became irrelevant to me..

I know nothing about this guy other than he is likely not the right guy, he doesnt seem to have the fire or passion and will be nothing more than another eric mangini/romeo crennel, a bump on the log looking like he doesnt have a clue about whats going on or even cares and im sick of manically depressed and or Retarded coaches in mangini's case..

If anyone knows anything about this guy please tell us because most rams fans i have talked to are as happy to see him go as we were to see daboll gone...

hey Gips, was that you on cle.com or ur gips doppleganger? no way there's two, right?

he gets 1 year from me...tops. if that. if this is the best holmgren can do, then ill be starting the "fire holmgren" threads by week 6.

pathetic.....

if you cant see this for what it is....a good-ol-boy hire, then keep investing your time and money in this sad excuse for a franchise. this is simply a yes-man coach now.....shurmur is now holmgrens bitch....do as he wants, do as he says....this is holmgrens way of coaching without the title of head coach. he only got this job cause his uncle was on holmgrens staff in green bay.

bet this guy gets 4 years just because hes holmgrens pick. welcome mediocrity everyone.....

he gets 1 year from me...tops. if that. if this is the best holmgren can do, then ill be starting the "fire holmgren" threads by week 6.

pathetic.....

if you cant see this for what it is....a good-ol-boy hire, then keep investing your time and money in this sad excuse for a franchise. this is simply a yes-man coach now.....shurmur is now holmgrens bitch....do as he wants, do as he says....this is holmgrens way of coaching without the title of head coach. he only got this job cause his uncle was on holmgrens staff in green bay.

bet this guy gets 4 years just because hes holmgrens pick. welcome mediocrity everyone.....

I'm not going to pass judgment until I can see how this guy coaches. Alot of people who didn't have big names have made the jump to head coach and done great while people who have done great things have made the jump and done horrible. You guys wanted Mangini fired with no other name in mind other than Gruden. Well you don't get Gruden you get this guy so just deal with it.

I also don't know what you want in a coach. You hate Mangini because you think he's too quite but you hate Ryan because he is too loud. The deal is that you don't give a shit how much he talks or how angry he can get, all that matters is if he wins and we haven't seen if he can or not yet.

I'm on the same page as Shep....As fans, even the most knowledgeable don't know SQUAT compared to Holmgren & Heckert. I'll live with their decision. Actually, when was the last time we had REAL football people, & successful ones at that, bringing in a Head Coach who is on the same page they are. This is not an inherited HC, but one of their choice. I'll trust their judgment because they can back it up with solid track records.

I have to admit that I'm not a big Rob Ryan fan & I'm VERY interested in who will be the DC....Ryan, or ???

Mike

Well.......I dunno. SHOCKED!

I'm praying MH knows what he is doing. I'm gonna hold judgement, but Lerner needs to watch this guy. Don't let the SB ring bling get in your eyes. He hit a homerun with Heckert and there will probably be much better talent at a few positions after the draft so I dunno. Maybe the staff will click well together. I certainly wish shurmur the best and give him my support, but much like others in the office he needs to earn his right to be here come Sundays. The theme through the organization seems to be win or GTFO and I would prefer not to do this again. So let's do this shit man!

xxxx THE STOOLERS AND THE RATBIRDS! GO BROWNS!

I'm on the same page as Shep....As fans, even the most knowledgeable don't know SQUAT compared to Holmgren & Heckert. I'll live with their decision. Actually, when was the last time we had REAL football people, & successful ones at that, bringing in a Head Coach who is on the same page they are. This is not an inherited HC, but one of their choice. I'll trust their judgment because they can back it up with solid track records.

I have to admit that I'm not a big Rob Ryan fan & I'm VERY interested in who will be the DC....Ryan, or ???

Mike

You guys wanted Mangini fired with no other name in mind other than Gruden. Well you don't get Gruden you get this guy so just deal with it.

not me bro.....i wanted mangini around to finish what he started. he wasnt the best coach, but he was better than any other options. perhaps youre confusing me with wrrebel.

holmgren had to go and rock the boat, so this is now his bed to die in. 8-8 or this guy must be fired...only way i accept this is to make the playoffs next year. thats how the naysayers approached mangini, thats how i approach this disaster. i was never sold on holmgren from the start, im not gonna blindly trust the guy cause he was good in a role that he's not performing from this team. to think hes a good vp cause he was a good coach is Retarded.

Seriously. Whoever you responded to need to know that Holmgren is held in EXTREMELY high regard by anybody who knows anything about football. He's coached in THREE Super Bowls for two different teams.

coached

coached coached

coached coached coached

coached coached coached coached

coached................................................................?

Can we stop pretending like the PRESIDENT and the COACH do the same thing? Seriously your drinking the koolaid way too fast for no real reason.

I don't get this at all. Just about everybody cheered when Holmgren and Heckert came on board. On the national scale, it was unanimously stamped as a huge "get" by the Cleveland Browns, a chance to follow the lead of guys who ran elite franchises and consistent winners, like the Packers and Eagles. They were "real football people."

Now these two guys we like so much, who just had a draft we love, have chosen a guy from their own family tree, a guy they know really, really well, a guy who was the QB coach on an very successful Eagles offense running Holmgren's WCO, a guy following a traditional career path (WCO QB coaches always end up head coaches)...

And we're pissed? Seriously? After three consecutive defensive coaches have failed to create any consistent success? We don't like the idea of our three head guys all being on the same page, all believing in the same systems, unlike last year?

I don't get it. I went into this wanting Holmgren to select the Holmgren WCO guy of his choice. Gruden, Shurmur, McCoy, Sherman, Mornhinweg... the one he believed in most. Gruden recused himself. From the others, Holmgren chose Shurmur.

Great. I'm in.

Pat Shurmur?

He is the only candidate the Browns could woo.

Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh just high-fived each other.

Yep.

Because when Tomlin was hired EVERYONE knew him. He was a household name and all of pittspuke rejoiced.

And when they introduced Harbaugh everyone marveled, "You mean Jim has a brother?"

You're a moron.

I don't get this at all. Just about everybody cheered when Holmgren and Heckert came on board. On the national scale, it was unanimously stamped as a huge "get" by the Cleveland Browns, a chance to follow the lead of guys who ran elite franchises and consistent winners, like the Packers and Eagles. They were "real football people."

Now these two guys we like so much, who just had a draft we love, have chosen a guy from their own family tree, a guy they know really, really well, a guy who was the QB coach on an very successful Eagles offense running Holmgren's WCO, a guy following a traditional career path (WCO QB coaches always end up head coaches)...

And we're pissed? Seriously? After three consecutive defensive coaches have failed to create any consistent success? We don't like the idea of our three head guys all being on the same page, all believing in the same systems, unlike last year?

I don't get it. I went into this wanting Holmgren to select the Holmgren WCO guy of his choice. Gruden, Shurmur, McCoy, Sherman, Mornhinweg... the one he believed in most. Gruden recused himself. From the others, Holmgren chose Shurmur.

Great. I'm in.

I'm with you. I was on the Gruden train for awhile until it was apparent he wasn't going to take the job and who can blame him, he's making plenty of money to work about a third of the hours.

I liked the idea of the Eagles OC when it was mentioned but ultimately I'm going with what Holmgren thinks as he knows a shitload more about football than I do and now as you said, our coach, GM and President are all on the same page for the first time.

I'm in as well...

Mike

Since we are still paying Mangini why not let him be the DC? He is not getting another head coaching job any time soon!

Who are you to say he isn't ideal?

Can you actually name a specific recipe that guarantees that a coach will be successful? I haven't seen such a thing and don't think anyone else here has either.

Are you telling me Cowher, Belichik, Jimmie Johnson, Holmgren, Tomlin, Madden, Landry and Dungy ALL fit this magic ideal recipe?

The only thing about this guy that isn't ideal is that you don't think highly of him.

From my vantage point there are a lto of things going for him.

He's young, energetic, he's an offensive minded guy, AND, he isn't someone's retread.

Give him a chance. I'm behind the guy if it's him, and GRUDEN would have been a guaranteed failure.

Who am I? I'm a fan that is sick of getting our crappy team handed over to UN-proven hacks from other organizations. Shumur is from Holmgren's good ole boy network and for all we know he got the job SOLELY because of that. We could have waited to vet other guys. I still said I will wait to reserve (further) judgment--and this guy has one season, starting NOW to prove otherwise.

Are we really sure this is the guy? This does not sound good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mB_rdfO7P8

listen close starting at the 0:48 second mark!

How much weight are we going to put on Fan opinion before the man even gets here? Once again, we have proven PROS in Holmgren & Heckert deciding on an HC. One thing not yet mentioned is the importance of GOOD Coordinators. A Head Coach will never win on his merits alone. We need an HC who is NOT a control freak, but one who surrounds himself with EXCELLENT Coordinators. The really successful teams are staffed with great Coordinators & a Head Coach who respects & utilizes their knowledge. I believe the biggest change we may see with our new FO is a far more credible staff at the "hands on" level. Let's wait & see.

Mike

Who am I? I'm a fan that is sick of getting our crappy team handed over to UN-proven hacks from other organizations. Shumur is from Holmgren's good ole boy network and for all we know he got the job SOLELY because of that. We could have waited to vet other guys. I still said I will wait to reserve (further) judgment, and this ex-OC has one season, starting NOW.

He's not from Holmgren's ole boy network but from Lamonte's stable that Grossi's been crowing about all season.

Maybe if the new hires all fail as so many of you predict, Mangini can come back to replace Holmgren, Rob Ryan can replace Heckert and Daboll can replace Shurmur. Then the dream team would finally be in place.

Time for someone to go post a Hitler Rant Parody concerning Shurmur's hiring on Youtube.

How much weight are we going to put on Fan opinion before the man even gets here? Once again, we have proven PROS in Holmgren & Heckert deciding on an HC. One thing not yet mentioned is the importance of GOOD Coordinators. A Head Coach will never win on his merits alone. We need an HC who is NOT a control freak, but one who surrounds himself with EXCELLENT Coordinators. The really successful teams are staffed with great Coordinators & a Head Coach who respects & utilizes their knowledge. I believe the biggest change we may see with our new FO is a far more credible staff at the "hands on" level. Let's wait & see.

Mike

Holmgren is a pro COACH......last I checked, this is first czar position. He has no track record for picking coaches.....yet.

I'd still trust that a guy who has had success as a pro coach would know what it takes to be a successful pro coach. I'm successful at my job and I'm extremely confident that I could interview and find someone who could be equally as successful.

Archived