THE BROWNS BOARD

2011 COACHING AND FRONT OFFICE MOVEMENT

shepwrite

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Breaking News:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6015881

Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur has emerged as the leading candidate for the Cleveland Browns' head coaching job, according to league sources.

The sources said Cleveland hopes to hammer out a contract with Shurmur within the next 48 hours and introduce Shurmur as coach at a news conference by Friday.

Browns president Mike Holmgren, general manager Tom Heckert, executive vice president Bryan Wiedmeier and Shurmur all have the same agent, Bob Lamonte.

If Shurmur's deal falls through, the Browns could turn to former Panthers head coach John Fox, who spent Wednesday interviewing with the Broncos. Cleveland already has also interviewed Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey and Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell, but Shurmur is the candidate that has commanded the most attention.

Holmgren likes Shurmur and what he can bring to the Browns, accorfing to the sources. The 44-year-old Shurmur has spent the past two seasons as the Rams offensive coordinator. Before joining St. Louis' staff, he worked on the Eagles coaching staff from 1999-2008.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...pe_to_have.html

He may be introduced on Friday as the new head coach of the Cleveland Browns. Well...this sucks

Why does it suck? It doesn't suck unless the team sucks for three years. Butch Davis was seen as a "get," and that didn't work at all. Mike Smith was seen as a dull choice... and it's been awesome.

Holmgren and Heckert obviously know Shurmur very, very well... and they want him to be the head coach. Do you think they're morons?

Why does it suck? It doesn't suck unless the team sucks for three years. Butch Davis was seen as a "get," and that didn't work at all. Mike Smith was seen as a dull choice... and it's been awesome.

Holmgren and Heckert obviously know Shurmur very, very well... and they want him to be the head coach. Do you think they're morons?

It sucks because whether or not we had ideal scenarios, he wasn't the IDEAL coaching candidate to take over the Browns. Who knows what this guy can do. I wanted someone that had NFL head coaching experience. I will reserve judgment, but not too thrilled about this choice.

It sucks because whether or not we had ideal scenarios, he wasn't the IDEAL coaching candidate to take over the Browns. Who knows what this guy can do. I wanted someone that had NFL head coaching experience.

i know that experience is important. however, it's a double edged sword. hiring a coach with experience means that coach has been fired before (except for a guy who retired like cowher). even if gruden came back to coach for us, he was still fired for not getting the job done. people in atlanta weren't excited about mike smith and now they are a 1 seed. give this guy a chance. don't go into this new regime with thoughts of who our next coach should be.

well.....at least it's not Gruden!!

Welcome to CLE, Pat!

if i could only have one thing, it's for you to continue what EM started and not tear it down to the floor. don't lose time, there is already a good locker room and attitude in place that should just be built around. !

with solid offensive personell and play-calling, this team could realistically go 10-6 (9-7 at worst) this year.

degradation and/or stagnation is completely unacceptable.

i'd also like to stay a 3-4 D but beggars can't be choosin. Congrats and Good Luck!!

Holmgren is not a genius by any means. No other team was interested in Holmgren and he took the job in Cleveland to pad his paycheck until he retires.

Shurmur is a candidate that, like Mangini, no one else was interested in.

This is good news for the Steelers. We will have two guaranteed wins a year against the most inept franchise in the NFL.

Party on Steeler Fans.

wait what? why would the new guy get 3 years when Mangini only got 2? talk about double standards...

if we win only 5 or 6 games next year that would be a failure, let alone 3 more years of it. I am ok with a new coach as long as it doesn't mean we have to start all over... AGAIN.

It sucks because whether or not we had ideal scenarios, he wasn't the IDEAL coaching candidate to take over the Browns. Who knows what this guy can do. I wanted someone that had NFL head coaching experience. I will reserve judgment, but not too thrilled about this choice.

He's the ideal choice for Holmgren and Heckert. I trust their judgment more than yours or anyone else here, honestly. I just don't get too worked up about coaches because I know I don't know shit from shinola (!) and it never goes the way you think it's gonna go.

I can read shit and watch tape on draft prospects... I have no idea how to judge a coaching prospect. I wasn't in the interview. I know I can't go by his stats (Romeo, so many others). I'll leave that to guys like Holmgren and Heckert.

Holmgren is not a genius by any means. No other team was interested in Holmgren and he took the job in Cleveland to pad his paycheck until he retires.

what's the list of guys who have taken 2 different teams to superbowls? that's what i thought. holmgren knows how to build a team from the ground up. i trust him. also, you're quarterback looks like a gay muppet who likes hands up his skirt.

wait what? why would the new guy get 3 years when Mangini only got 2? talk about double standards...

if we win only 5 or 6 games next year that would be a failure, let alone 3 more years of it. I am ok with a new coach as long as it doesn't mean we have to start all over... AGAIN.

Are you arguing for more than three... or less? At the end it sounds like you wanna stick with him no matter what.

But my point isn't really the duration. It's that judging a head coaching candidate before you see what he does and how it works out is wholly futile in every conceivable way. We should know that by now.

what's the list of guys who have taken 2 different teams to superbowls? that's what i thought. holmgren knows how to build a team from the ground up. i trust him. also, you're quarterback looks like a gay muppet who likes hands up his skirt.

Seriously. Whoever you responded to need to know that Holmgren is held in EXTREMELY high regard by anybody who knows anything about football. He's coached in THREE Super Bowls for two different teams.

Pat Shurmur?

He is the only candidate the Browns could woo.

Mike Tomlin and John Harbaugh just high-fived each other.

lol

u made funny.

i won't contribute to your "thanks" tally tho.

and as far as ur joke having legs, we will see in due time. the days of CLE accepting mediocrity are over, live it up while you can sizzle-chest.

Holmgren, Heckert, and Shurmur do have something in common. They will all be watching the real teams in the playoffs from a sofa in a basement in downtown Clevelend wishing they knew how to be a winner in the AFC North. Maybe Shurmur needs a terrible towel to remind him of who is the Boss in the NFL.

either that or pinstripes- but then again, whats the difference?

here are some interesting takes by other fans:

gips January 12, 2011 at 6:15PM

This guy is a nobody with very little credentials, i hope holmgren knows what he is doing because it looks to me like bob lamonte is running the browns..

(another Gips!! what are the odds?!?)

sudoku77 January 12, 2011 at 6:15PM

Holmgren amd Lamonte nepotism at its worst. L Bentley is correct...Holmgren does not care about wins and losses, he only cares about the Lamonte family business. Stinks to be a Browns fan.

WOW!! :o raw CLE pessimism makes me smile. :lol::lol:

Browns football just became irrelevant to me..

I know nothing about this guy other than he is likely not the right guy, he doesnt seem to have the fire or passion and will be nothing more than another eric mangini/romeo crennel, a bump on the log looking like he doesnt have a clue about whats going on or even cares and im sick of manically depressed and or Retarded coaches in mangini's case..

If anyone knows anything about this guy please tell us because most rams fans i have talked to are as happy to see him go as we were to see daboll gone...

Archived