2011 COACHING AND FRONT OFFICE MOVEMENT

shepwrite

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mike Mularkey

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mike Mularkey

Date of birth November 19, 1961 (1961-11-19) (age 49)

Place of birth Miami, Florida

Position(s) Head Coach

Tight End

College Florida

NFL Draft 1983 / Round 9

Regular season 14-18-0

Postseason 0-0

Career record 14-18-0

Playing stats NFL.com

Coaching stats Pro Football Reference

Team(s) as a player

1983-1987

1988-1991 Minnesota Vikings

Pittsburgh Steelers

Team(s) as a coach/administrator

1994-1995

1996-2000

2001-2003

2004-2005

2008-present Tampa Bay Buccaneers

(Tight ends)

Pittsburgh Steelers

(Tight ends)

Pittsburgh Steelers

(Offensive coordinator)

Buffalo Bills

(Head coach)

Miami Dolphins

(Offensive coordinator)

Miami Dolphins

(Tight ends)

Atlanta Falcons

(Offensive coordinator)

Michael Rene Mularkey (born November 19, 1961) is the offensive coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons. He is a former Buffalo Bills head coach, offensive coordinator for the Pittsburgh Steelers, and tight ends coach for the Miami Dolphins and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Prior to coaching, he played 9 seasons in the NFL as a tight end for the Minnesota Vikings and Pittsburgh Steelers.

Contents [hide]

1 Early years

2 Professional career

2.1 Career statistics

3 Coaching career

3.1 Tampa Bay Buccaneers

3.2 Pittsburgh Steelers

3.3 Buffalo Bills

3.4 Miami Dolphins

3.5 Atlanta Falcons

4 Personal

5 See also

6 References

7 Bibliography

[edit] Early years

Mularkey was born in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. He attended Northeast High School in Oakland Park, Florida, and played quarterback for the Northeast Hurricanes high school football team. Mularkey attended the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he played tight end for coach Charley Pell's Florida Gators football team from 1979 to 1982.

[edit] Professional career

In 1983, Mularkey was a ninth-round draft pick for the San Francisco 49ers, but was cut before appearing in game. He went on to play with the Minnesota Vikings until the conclusion of the 1988 season. In 1989, he signed with the Pittsburgh Steelers as a free agent for the final three years of his playing career.

[edit] Career statistics

Receiving

Year Team G Rec Yards Y/R TD

1983 Minnesota Vikings 3 0 0 0 0

1984 Minnesota Vikings 16 14 134 9.6 2

1985 Minnesota Vikings 15 13 196 15.1 1

1986 Minnesota Vikings 16 11 89 8.1 2

1987 Minnesota Vikings 9 1 6 6.0 0

1988 Minnesota Vikings 16 3 39 13.0 0

1989 Pittsburgh Steelers 14 22 326 14.8 1

1990 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 32 365 11.4 3

1991 Pittsburgh Steelers 9 6 67 11.2 0

[edit] Coaching career

[edit] Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Mularkey started his coaching career in 1994 with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as a Quality Control coach for both the offense and defense. In 1995 he was promoted to Tight End Coach and held the position for one season.

[edit] Pittsburgh Steelers

Mularkey was hired as the Pittsburgh Steelers tight ends coach in 1996 and held the position until the conclusion of the 2000 season, when he replaced Kevin Gilbride as the team's offensive coordinator. He has a reputation for being an offense-oriented head coach with a penchant for trick plays. His skill for creating special packages to utilize multi-dimensional players such as Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle El earned him the nickname "Inspector Gadget"[1] . Even with his creative imagination, his philosophy of being the most physical punishing offense helped the Steelers average 10+ wins a year during his 3 years as offensive coordinator.

[edit] Buffalo Bills

In 2004, Mularkey left the Steelers and was hired by the Buffalo Bills to succeed Gregg Williams as the team's head coach. Mularkey started out his first campaign as Bills head coach with a record of 0–4. He rallied his team to a 9–7 record by the end of the season, however, sparked by a six-game winning streak during which the Bills scored more points than in any other similar stretch in franchise history. This has been their last winning season to date.

His second season in Buffalo was far less successful. Dogged by a quarterback controversy between J.P. Losman and Kelly Holcomb and a series of defensive personnel problems, Mularkey led the team to a 5–11 finish and a sixth consecutive year out of the playoffs - the longest such active streak in the AFC. Mularkey's offensive schemes continued to be touted by then general manager Tom Donahoe, despite the lack of production; Mularkey's schemes proved to be predictable, and the Bills finished 28th in total offense.

On January 12, 2006, Mularkey resigned as head coach of the Bills, citing a disagreement in the direction of the organization, which had recently hired new management including ex-coach Marv Levy.

[edit] Miami Dolphins

On January 22, 2006, Mularkey was hired to be the Miami Dolphins offensive coordinator.[2] As the offensive coordinator under Miami's coach, Nick Saban, Mularkey had an unsuccessful season with injuries to his first string quarterback, Daunte Culpepper, and running back, Ronnie Brown. The Dolphins only scored 16.3 points per game, ranking 29th in the NFL. Following the season, it was announced Saban had resigned as Dolphins head coach and he accepted the position of head coach of the University of Alabama Crimson Tide on January 3, 2007.

Upon the hiring of former San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Cam Cameron as Dolphins head coach on January 19, 2007, it was announced that Mularkey would no longer serve as offensive coordinator but would remain with the team in another capacity. On March 15, 2007 it was officially announced that Cameron himself would call the offensive plays in 2007, leaving Mularkey to serve as tight ends coach.

On January 3 it was announced that Mularkey was let go from his tight ends coach position, as were all other coaches for the Miami Dolphins.[3]

[edit] Atlanta Falcons

On January 25, 2008 it was announced that he would become the next offensive coordinator for the Atlanta Falcons.[4] [5] . In his first season at Atlanta , Mularkey helped the offense to be the second place in the league with 152.5 rushing yards per game, also finished 10th in scoring with 24.4 (up from 29th in 2007) and 6th in yards with 361.2 per game , Mularkey was being considered for an interview with the Detroit Lions for their head coaching vacancy.[6]

[edit] Personal

Mularkey is married to Elizabeth "Betsy" Conant Mularkey, who is also a University of Florida alumna.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Mularkey

Looks like Mularky did a very good job in Pittsburgh and Atlanta, but not so good in Buffalo and Miami. of course, he didn't have a QB in Buffalo or Miami.

Pat Shurmur

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pat Shurmur

Date of birth April 14, 1965 (1965-04-14) (age 45)

Place of birth Dearborn Heights, Michigan

Position(s) Coach

College Michigan State

Team(s) as a coach/administrator

1999-2008

2009-present Philadelphia Eagles

St.Louis Rams

Pat Shurmur (born April 14, 1965) is the current offensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams.

His uncle, the late Fritz Shurmur, served as the Green Bay Packers defensive coordinator from 1994-98 and helped that club win two NFC Championships and one Super Bowl title. Pat has four children, Allison, Erica, Claire and Kyle.

Pat began working for the Philadelphia Eagles in 1999.[1]

On January 21, 2009, Shurmur was hired by Steve Spagnuolo to be the offensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Shurmur

Not a lot of info on Shurmur from this site. He sure spent a lot of time in Philly under Reid, the same tree as Holmgren.

He did a good job with the Rams offense this year IMO.

Zombo

From Shurmur's bio on Rams.com:

Pat Shurmur enters his second year as offensive coordinator with the Rams. In 2009, Shumur coached running back Steven Jackson to his second Pro Bowl berth. Under Shumur, Jackson finished with the NFC rushing title after tallying 1,416 yards, the second highest total of his career. Jackson also produced 1,738 total yards from scrimmage, second-highest total in the NFC. He rushed for 100 yards in a careerhigh seven games.

Shurmur joined the Rams after seven seasons as quarterbacks coach for the Philadelphia Eagles. Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb earned three of his five Pro Bowl berths during Shurmur’s tenure. McNabb finished among the top 10 in the NFL in attempts (571, fourth), completions (345, fifth), yards (3,916, seventh) and touchdowns (23, eighth) in 2008. His 345 completions and 3,916 passing yards set Eagles single-season records.

In 2004, Shurmur guided McNabb to the most productive season of his career, in which McNabb established franchise records in passer rating (104.7) and completion percentage (64.0). McNabb also became the first quarterback in NFL history to have a season with 30-plus touchdown passes (31) and fewer than 10 interceptions (eight).

List of candidates and statuses:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/..._far_a_who.html

NFL retreads:

• Jon Gruden, 47: The former Mike Holmgren assistant-coach-turned-network-game-analyst is preparing for ESPN's coverage of the BCS National Championship game on Jan. 10. Efforts to contact him have been unsuccessful. *

• John Fox, 55: Despite a 2-14 season in his last year with Carolina, his record as Panthers coach was 78-74 and included a Super Bowl appearance. He reportedly is taking a week off before acting on his future. *

• Brad Childress, 54: He learned the Holmgren offense under Andy Reid in Philadelphia, while Heckert served there as GM, before becoming head coach of the Vikings. He was fired this year with the team at 3-7, lowering his record to 40-37.

• Josh McDaniels, 34: The Barberton native and former Bill Belichick assistant was fired as Denver head coach after less than two tumultuous seasons and an 11-17 record.

• Jim Mora, 49: He was Steve Mariucci's defensive coordinator in San Francisco and spent two seasons on Holmgren's staff in Seattle before succeeding him. His record of 31-33 included three seasons as Atlanta Falcons coach and one playoff appearance.

• Bill Cowher, 53: The former Browns assistant coach and Pittsburgh Steelers head coach turned down owner Randy Lerner's overture two years ago. He's the only coach on the retread list not represented by LaMonte.

NFL assistant coaches:

• Perry Fewell, 48: The Giants defensive coordinator has been granted permission to interview with the Browns, Panthers and 49ers. *

• Marty Mornhinweg, 48: The Eagles offensive coordinator cannot interview with any team until next week. He told reporters he can't think about possibly interviewing with the Browns. "We'll see," he answered when asked if he expected to. *

• Mike Mularkey, 49: He's been an offensive coordinator with the Steelers, Dolphins and now Falcons, and was 14-18 as head coach of the Bills in 2004-05. He has no affiliation with Holmgren, but his one season in Miami (2006) probably caught the attention of former Dolphins executives Brian Wiedemeier and Matt Thomas and earned him an interview with the Browns. *

• Karl Dorrell, 42: Bill Parcells liked him enough to name him Miami Dolphins receivers coach, where he also impressed current Browns executives Brian Wiedemeier and Matt Thomas. He was head coach at UCLA from 2003-07.

• Mike McCoy, 48: Knows the Holmgren offense and worked under Fox for seven of his 10 years with Carolina before joining McDaniels' staff in Denver the past two years.

• Pat Shurmur, 45: The nephew of the late Fritz Shurmur, a former defensive coordinator under Holmgren at Green Bay, he coached under Reid in Philadelphia for 10 years before joining the Rams in 2009. The Browns will interview him on Thursday. *

College coaches:

• Jim Harbaugh, 47: The Ohio native and one-time Baltimore Ravens quarterback declined to be interviewed for the Browns' job. He is close to becoming the next coach of the San Francisco 49ers. *

• Urban Meyer, 46: Yet another native of Ohio, his offensive wizardry as coach of the Florida Gators drew the attention of everybody in the NFL, including Belichick, who borrowed concepts from him. But Meyer's recent health problems and desire to spend time with his family makes him a long shot to jump to the NFL.

• Chip Kelly, 47: For two years as offensive coordinator and then two more as head coach, he turned Oregon into a national championship contender. His spread offense averaged 49.3 points and 537.5 yards per game this season.

(* marks an updated paragraph)

FROM WHAT I SEE HERE, THE CANDIDATES THAT ARE WORTHY ARE PROBABLY UNATTAINABLE. I STILL SEE HOLMGREN COMING IN HIMSELF.

There is no way holmgren hires a defensive coordinator. He has cemented his legacy by firing mangini. His next coach had better produce or lerner will fire both of them. Sorry, wanting more pizazz isn't a reason to fire your coach. I've lost a lot of respect for holmgren and think that the only reason he gave mangini another year was because he evaluated the personnel and realized his personal pick couldn't win this year. So why tolerate the backlash, let mangini have another year with a weak team

There is no way holmgren hires a defensive coordinator. He has cemented his legacy by firing mangini. His next coach had better produce or lerner will fire both of them. Sorry, wanting more pizazz isn't a reason to fire your coach. I've lost a lot of respect for holmgren and think that the only reason he gave mangini another year was because he evaluated the personnel and realized his personal pick couldn't win this year. So why tolerate the backlash, let mangini have another year with a weak team

too late.

They didn't play anywhere near the toughest schedule in football. two more games against that schedule is a negative.

Correct. They also had six "free wins."

2 vs. Seattle

2 vs. San Francisco

2 vs. Arizona

I don't know how many of those they actually won, but there is no excuse to lose to any of those teams.

Has anyone seen this?

CLEVELAND -- St. Louis Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur will interview Friday with the Cleveland Browns for their coaching position.

Shurmur will be the first candidate to formally interview with the Browns. The 45-year-old worked previously in Philadelphia with Cleveland's general manager Tom Heckert, who along with team president Mike Holmgren will handle the team's interviews.

The Browns are expected to meet on Saturday with Atlanta offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey. The former Buffalo coach canceled his Friday interview with Denver because he doesn't want to take too much time away from his preparation for next week's playoff game.

Holmgren, who fired Eric Mangini on Monday after two losing seasons, has also asked for permission to speak with New York Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?i...ce=NFLHeadlines

Gruden won a super bowl with a great team but ran Tampa Bay into the ground. Other than Gruden these guys haven't produce much if anything in the NFL. I could be wrong but I expect our long term struggles to continue and for Holmgren to eventually get fired over this. Prove me wrong Mike

I agree. Until this year, his team was always in the playoff hunt and he did come within a kick out of bounds of possibly winning a super bowl. The guy is a good coach and the only reason I don't like him in Cleveland is that I"ve had enough of the defensive guys coaching the team. I want to find the next Sean Payton to coach the Browns next year.

Actually, living in Charlotte since 04 I have been watching Fox and Hurney screw things up. They had a lot of bad seasons the last several years and the division except for the last couple of years has generally been weak. Fox is a good defensive and about as bad as you can get offensively.

I wanted him fired in Carolina the last three years. Please lord do NOT have him land in Cleveland.

Personally, I like what the 49ers did brought in a winner from college with NFL experience.

Right now without knowing much about the candidates I would make Gary Patterson my leading candidate for the job. If you never roll the dice you have a hard time winning big.

Please also do not hire some assistant whose claim to fame is bringing coffee for a winner head coach which happens a lot and fails a lot

And please do not hire Gruden, he is way overrated and basically a BS artist

He's a 4-3 guy, right?

Wannstedt eyes NFL return

Posted by Mike Florio on January 11, 2011, 3:35 PM EST

Former Pitt head coach Dave Wannstedt likely won’t soon be coaching another NFL team, years after stints with the Bears and Dolphins. But Wannstedt is still seeing a demand for his services at the NFL level.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen report that Wannstedt could be reuniting with former Cowboys colleague Norv Turner as defensive coordinator of the Chargers. He also could be headed to Carolina, to serve as defensive coordinator under former Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera.

The Bills and Browns also are interested in Wannstedt.

Wannstedt spent six years with the Bears and four seasons and nine games with the Dolphins.

NFL.com says Shurmur is the likely HC... and John Fox and Jim Mora are potential DCs. Both guys run 4-3s, a clue that the 3-4 might be a goner in Cleveland. Half the team is free agents (Gocong, Jackson, Smith) and only Rubin, Benard, and Fujita seems like serious keepers.

The excellent B&O article I just read says Benard actually spent much of the year in a stance, essentially playing DE, and he would do quite well at the position. I think Roth would be a terrific 4-3 DE, too (for the Giants and Colts, they go 265-275). Fujita came from NO's 4-3 and Gocong had been in a 4-3 in Philly if we resign him. A lot of people think D'Qwell is meant for 4-3 MLB.

It would be an overhaul, though, and a lot of new faces would be brought in.

NFL.com says Shurmur is the likely HC... and John Fox and Jim Mora are potential DCs. Both guys run 4-3s, a clue that the 3-4 might be a goner in Cleveland. Half the team is free agents (Gocong, Jackson, Smith) and only Rubin, Benard, and Fujita seems like serious keepers.

The excellent B&O article I just read says Benard actually spent much of the year in a stance, essentially playing DE, and he would do quite well at the position. I think Roth would be a terrific 4-3 DE, too (for the Giants and Colts, they go 265-275). Fujita came from NO's 4-3 and Gocong had been in a 4-3 in Philly if we resign him. A lot of people think D'Qwell is meant for 4-3 MLB.

It would be an overhaul, though, and a lot of new faces would be brought in.

I think Gocong would do better at DE than Roth or Benard.

Hell yeah, i'd take him as DC. Give me

HC- Perry Fewell

OC- Derrell Bevell?(Walrus likes him for some reason) Jim Zorn? Chilly?

WR's- Ray Sherman

QB's- ?

TE's- ?

OL- George Warhop

DC- Dave Wannestedt

LB- ?

CB- ?

DL- Brian Cox?

ST- Brad Seely

I wouldn't complain.

Like ive said before if we have to go with a DC that looks very promising Fewell would be my choice..to hell with the looney rule interviews, When it comes to this guy he has all the intangibles..

Football is colorblind..

At least it was until the looney rule was introduced..

How does dave wannestdt get jobs at all? I wouldn't hire him to take out my trash..

He must have blackmail on some serious people

I agree.

It just shows that once you make the fraternity, you have to show you are a total dipstick....heck, even then you get 4-5 more chances at a decent job.

Archived