THE BROWNS BOARD

2011 COACHING AND FRONT OFFICE MOVEMENT

shepwrite

I'd still trust that a guy who has had success as a pro coach would know what it takes to be a successful pro coach. I'm successful at my job and I'm extremely confident that I could interview and find someone who could be equally as successful.

I have come to the conclusion that most Cleveland fans are a bunch of moaners.

The reality is they don't know crap about any of the candidates yet they complain about picking coach X over coach Y.

In the very beginning Holmgren said he very likely would be looking for a young coach. A guy they can give the ball and let him make his own destiny.

When you think about it, most of the really good coaches were guys who weren't on the rebound from somewhere else.

Here's an idea....maybe we should complain...say a year or two from now if things aren't looking good.

For now, if he is indeed hired, just wait, watch, and listen.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have come to the conclusion that most Cleveland fans are a bunch of moaners.

The reality is they don't know crap about any of the candidates yet they complain about picking coach X over coach Y.

In the very beginning Holmgren said he very likely would be looking for a young coach. A guy they can give the ball and let him make his own destiny.

When you think about it, most of the really good coaches were guys who weren't on the rebound from somewhere else.

Here's an idea....maybe we should complain...say a year or two from now if things aren't looking good.

For now, if he is indeed hired, just wait, watch, and listen.

We always wait, watch and listen and sometimes we even dare to hope beyond hope one failed regime after another...

As an OC this guy appears to suck but as a HC who knows maybe he wont, we know nothing about shurmur other than many ram fans cant wait until he is gone but with spags as their HC there could be more than meets the eye here when it comes to scrubber ahh hmm i mean shurmur...

I dont like this hire at least not yet, not until we can see who he places at the coordinator and staff positions and that should give us a better look at what scrubber has in mind..

And yeah holmgren did indicate the extreme possibility of handing off to a young guy though i hardly consider 45 young especially when this guy shurmur has been floating silently around the league for many years without much promotion to me it usually indicates an RAC knot on the log kinda guy with no personality and even less ability to lead..

Its holmgren, heckert and lamonte's call, its on their clock and lerners wallet, regardless as expansion browns fans all we will do is bend over, spread em and smile...

The lamonte regime may prove to make the savage era look like browns fan heaven..

We will be most likely be stuck with this guy for at least 4 years for better or empty stadium..

Fan poll is relatively optimistic, which surprised me a little. But Mary Kay is saying almost exactly what I've said (I like her more than a lot here and think she gets it). We're going to have a team of guys heading up the program who are all on the same page, speaking the same language. Heckert knows how to find the right players for this system.

And it really is great news for Colt McCoy, who not only gets the offense he's best suited for, but a very "quarterback friendly" head coach who will work as the extension of the prez who wanted him in an orange helmet.

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-blog/..._would_get.html

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...head_coach.html

BEREA -- Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur has been named the Browns' fifth head coach since they returned as an expansion franchise in 1999.

In doing so, Browns President Mike Holmgren is retracing the path which led him to his first NFL head coaching job in Green Bay 19 years ago.

Shurmur was never a head coach at any level. But like Holmgren and his many eventual coaching proteges, Shurmur learned the NFL game as a quarterbacks coach and then as a coordinator in the pass-first offensive system now commonly referred to as the West Coast offense.

Others who followed the path paved by Holmgren include Steve Mariucci, Andy Reid, Marty Mornhinweg and Brad Childress. Jon Gruden started as a receivers coach before ascending to coordinator and then head coach. Of those, only Mornhinweg failed to reached the playoffs as an NFL head coach.

Shurmur, 45, never worked with Holmgren, but learned his offensive system under Reid in Philadelphia for 10 years -- the last seven as Eagles quarterbacks coach. For eight of those years, Browns General Manager Tom Heckert held various titles as the head of the Eagles' player personnel department.

Shurmur's connections to Holmgren stretch farther. He is the nephew of the late Fritz Shurmur, who was Holmgren's defensive coordinator in Green Bay for five seasons in the 1990s. Shurmur also shares the same agent, Bob LaMonte, as Holmgren and Heckert and numerous other branches of the Holmgren coaching tree.

Shurmur left the Eagles in 2009 to become coordinator in St. Louis under former Eagles defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo. They were members of Reid's initial coaching staff in Philadelphia in 1999.

When Shurmur arrived in St. Louis, the Rams were coming off a 2-14 season and their offense ranked 27th. In 2009, they fell to 1-15 and the offense dipped to 29th. The arrival of quarterback Sam Bradford with the No. 1 choice in the 2010 draft had an instant impact. With Bradford starting every game, the Rams improved to 7-9 and their offensive ranking inched up to 26th.

Like the Browns, the Rams were hampered by an inexperienced receiving corps after injuries wiped out veterans Donnie Avery and Mark Clayton. They were 26th in points with 289 -- five notches ahead of the Browns (31st), who had 271. The Rams' 21 giveaways were eight fewer than the Browns' 29.

Shurmur received some criticism for play selection in the Rams' season-ending 16-6 loss to Seattle, which cost the Rams a spot in the playoffs as NFC West champion. In that game, Rams 1,200-yard running back Steve Jackson carried the ball only 11 times for 45 yards. He had only four rushing attempts in the second half. The Rams had seven possessions in the second half and none longer than six plays.

Shurmur, a native of Dearborn, Mich., was a three-year starter at center for Michigan State University in the late 1980s. He returned to the school in 1990 to launch his coaching career and coached tight ends, special teams and assisted on the offensive line for a span of eight years. He worked under former Browns defensive coordinator Nick Saban the last five years.

Shurmur moved to Stanford University in 1998 as offensive line coach before joining Reid in Philadelphia in 1999 as tight ends coach.

Reid named Shurmur quarterbacks coach in 2002. In that role through 2009, he was position coach for Eagles quarterbacks Donovan McNabb, A.J. Feeley, Koy Detmer, Jeff Garcia, and Kevin Kolb.

Shurmur is the first Browns head coach with purely an offensive background since Chris Palmer in 1999. He represents a final break from the Bill Belichick coaching tree, which spawned the Browns' last two coaches, Eric Mangini and Romeo Crennel.

When he launched the search to replace Mangini, Holmgren tipped off his intentions when he said, "I can get real excited about finding a young guy and having him take the ball and go with it."

Holmgren also said it would be "a pretty wide search ... we're not limiting ourselves in any way."

But only three candidates were formally interviewed. Shurmur was the first, following by Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey and Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell.

Former Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh turned down the Browns' invitation for an interview before he accepted the 49ers head coach job. Also, Gruden, who was considered a hot candidate before the search began because of his history with Holmgren, never was interviewed and said he would return to the ESPN announcing booth in 2011.

There were ALOT of candidates I had in mind, Gruden wasn't one of them. Nor was this inept xxxx Pat Shurmur.

Wow ... someone hates Shurmur already and we haven't even hired him yet?

Zombo

Good riddance. I never understood why so many fans rode this guys dick all season.

I do agree he was all hype. I liked his "The Dude" look but he couldn't game plan at all and our D always lacked any type of adjustments.

Example? First Baltimore game, Eric Wright gets burnt play after play, yet no help given to him or even pulling him and we lose the game because of it.

and not one of us know as much about football as the people in place. but there are always two sides to an argument. although browns fans want to win etc. all i've got to say to the people who couldn't wait another year to see if the mangini plan would work (and this includes holmgren)................

TICK TOCK, TICK TOCK

ps don't say when people can complain or not. it seems like it was alright when you all wanted to complain.

Ahh...I never complained about Mangini. I like much of what he brought and said in many places I hoped he stayed.

it was only after the Pittsburgh blow-out i was resolved to the fact he was going to get canned.

Mangini left a fairly sound, disciplined football team.

... and the Browns get Pat Shurmur... a dome, WC, 2-yr OC with no HC experience... .... sigh ....

Kinda liked his intro Press Conference comments, but knowing Daddy and having the same agent is no basis for picking a HC. We shall see...

Now Rob (the good twin) Ryan goes to the 'Boys.... their gain.... while Holmgren stalks a 4 - 3 DC (Jauron, Wannstedt) that we do not have the personel to play...

And so the experiment continues... I'm canceling my NFL Sunday Ticket.... let me know how it turns out.

ryan's d seemed to revolve around gimmicks and being over aggressive. there was no balance at all. big risk, big reward and that won't get you too far in the nfl.

shurmur will have the benefit of working with holmgren and haskel. plus they all share the same philosophies on offense.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/114985984.html

The Browns have hired four assistants for Pat Shurmur's coaching staff: Mark Whipple (quarterbacks coach), Mike Wilson (wide receivers coach), Bill Davis (linebackers coach) and Dwaine Board (defensive line coach).

Whipple and Wilson will try to help quarterback Colt McCoy and his targets develop while adjusting to the West Coast offense.

Meanwhile, Davis and Board will assist defensive coordinator Dick Jauron, presumably throughout the team's expected switch from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3.

The Browns reportedly had considered Whipple as an offensive coordinator candidate. But with Shurmur calling the offense's plays and Whipple filling another role, the team might not hire anyone to replace Brian Daboll after all.

The Browns wouldn't be the first NFL team to go without an offensive coordinator. This season, the New England Patriots and the Arizona Cardinals, who used ''run game'' and ''passing game'' coordinators, did not name one.

Whipple, a 53-year-old Tarrytown, N.Y., native, spent the past two seasons as an assistant head coach, offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the University of Miami football team. He was fired after the Hurricanes ousted coach Randy Shannon at the end of the season.

Whipple, who was a quarterback at Brown University, was also the quarterbacks coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers (2004-06) and an offensive assistant for the Philadelphia Eagles (2008). In his brief stint with the Eagles, Whipple worked with Browns General Manager Tom Heckert.

Wilson, a 52-year-old Los Angeles native, spent the past two seasons as the wide receivers coach of the UFL's Las Vegas Locomotives. Wilson also spent three seasons (2004-06) with the Cardinals, for whom he coached tight ends and wide receivers. He played wide receiver for the San Francisco 49ers (1981-90) during part of Browns President Mike Holmgren's tenure as the team's quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator.

Davis, a 45-year-old Youngstown native whose father worked with Heckert's father in the Browns' front office during the 1980s, was fired by the Cardinals last month after serving as their defensive coordinator for the past two seasons. The Cardinals' defense ranked 29th this season and 20th in 2009.

Before joining the Cardinals as a linebackers coach in 2007, Davis was the defensive coordinator for the 49ers (2005-06). He has been an assistant coach in the NFL for 19 years, including one previous season as the Browns' linebackers coach (1999). Davis, who was a quarterback at the University of Cincinnati, started his coaching career by succeeding Shurmur, 45, as a graduate assistant coach at Michigan State University (1990-91).

Board, a 54-year-old native of Rocky Mount, Va., spent the 2009 season as the defensive line coach of the Oakland Raiders. He also spent six seasons as the defensive line coach of the Seattle Seahawks (2003-08), when Holmgren was the team's head coach. Board, who played defensive end for the 49ers (1979-88), started his NFL coaching career in 1990.

The Browns' recent hires indicate Carl Smith (quarterbacks coach), Matt Eberflus (linebackers coach) and Bryan Cox (defensive line coach) will not return to the team. George McDonald (wide receivers coach) has already taken another job with the Miami Hurricanes.

The Browns will retain running backs coach Gary Brown, tight ends coach Steve Hagen, offensive line coach George Warhop and defensive backs coach Jerome Henderson, a source told Cleveland.com. A Browns spokesman could neither confirm nor deny the report Monday night.

Archived