THE BROWNS BOARD

2011 COACHING AND FRONT OFFICE MOVEMENT

shepwrite

Looks like Fewell is this year's Rooney Rule interview:

Browns, Panthers to interview Perry Fewell

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 3, 2011, 2:27 PM EST

Giants coach Tom Coughlin isn’t planning to make any changes to his coaching staff, but he might not have a choice.

Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell could be headed elsewhere.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Cleveland and Carolina have both submitted interview requests to the Giants, saying they’d like to interview Fewell for their head-coaching vacancies.

Fewell just finished his first year as the Giants’ defensive coordinator. He was with the Bills from 2006 until the end of the 2009 season, first as defensive coordinator and then, at the end of his tenure in Buffalo, as interim head coach.

By interviewing Fewell, the Browns and Panthers will have satisfied the requirements of the Rooney Rule.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From here, it looks like Holmgren will talk to some candidates and find out if Gruden is interested before looking in the mirror. Makes sense. He did give some hints, falling just short of saying WCO experience is a prerequisite... and adding that he'd like some more "pizzazz."

Sounds like a WCO guy from the offensive side this time.

i've heard holmgren won't be taking the HC job. it was reported on the 4 letter network that gruden and fox are the top 2 candidates.

both are lame ducks in my opinion. ESPECIALLY fox!

good picks for HC in cleveland (since the chin won't touch you with a 24 and a half foot pole) rivera, grimm.

It has to be the right guy that fits holmgrens/heckerts philosophical approach and it has to be the right guy for the cleveland browns and i honestly believe mike holmgren is going to do this in a way that will leave the unbelievers in complete shock as the browns play the part of cinderellas pimp next year and never look back again..

i've heard holmgren won't be taking the HC job. it was reported on the 4 letter network that gruden and fox are the top 2 candidates.

both are lame ducks in my opinion. ESPECIALLY fox!

good picks for HC in cleveland (since the chin won't touch you with a 24 and a half foot pole) rivera, grimm.

i'm not trying to start anything here, but i completely disagree with your view of fox. the guy does have several division championships and went to a superbowl. if it weren't for their stupid kicker they may have won it.

Post any reported or rumored (reliable source) info here.

Per Adam Schefter Twitter:

"Cleveland and Carolina submitted interview requests to New York to interview Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell."

Most likely for Rooney Rule but we will see. I would love him as our DC but not HC.

Quotes from players in the Browns locker room:

* Sheldon Brown on Eagles offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg, who's a candidate: "He's a West Coast guy. He runs their system. Mike Holmgren would feel comfortable with him. He'd be able to converse with him without feeling like he's stepping on his toes. He's basically like a father to Marty.''

* Brown, on Monrhinweg's 5-27 record with Detroit: "He understands the game of football. He understands how to put a gameplan together. I think he'd do a good job.''

* Brown, on Holmgren coaching: "I think he'd have the best of both worlds if he hired a guy like (Mornhinweg,) because he could coach without actually having to coach.''

* Colt McCoy, on whether or not he wants Holmgren to coach: "I trust in the authorities that are here. We are committed to turning this around and being leaders and we will have the right men in here to lead us.''

* McCoy, on if he's by being coached by the man who coached Steve Young, Joe Montana and Brett Favre: "Absolutely. Just having him in the building is huge. The times I've spent with him, the talks I've had, yes, he's done great with several quarterbacks. For him to call me in and put me in that category and challenge me and tell me so many things that are ahead and what's to come, I'm excited about the future. He drafted me so I assume he thinks that I have that potential.''

* Jake Delhomme, on Mangini's firing: "As players, we didn't do enough to help Eric keep his job.''

* Delhomme, on his former Panthers coach John Fox, who's rumored to be a candidate: "I think John can go anywhere and win. I think John's outstanding. But I think this is about Eric. He talked to us this morning and you feel his pain. I know I do and most of the players do too.''

* Delhomme, on Mangini's demeanor: "He was very even keel, typical Eric. He appreciated our efforts. I respect him a great deal.''

i'm not trying to start anything here, but i completely disagree with your view of fox. the guy does have several division championships and went to a superbowl. if it weren't for their stupid kicker they may have won it.

I agree. Until this year, his team was always in the playoff hunt and he did come within a kick out of bounds of possibly winning a super bowl. The guy is a good coach and the only reason I don't like him in Cleveland is that I"ve had enough of the defensive guys coaching the team. I want to find the next Sean Payton to coach the Browns next year.

BREAKING NEWS:

Mary Kay Cabot Twitter:

"Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur to interview with Browns on Thursday. ... He might be The Favorite."

I hope not.

"Falcons offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey will interview for the Browns head coaching job, NFL Network's Jason LaCanfora reported."

Thats a little better.

Yeah let's the take the Rams OC. Because they had such a great season.

they had a better season than we did. people, don't be blinded by the smoke. holmgren knows exactly who he wants to coach this team. he is jut playing the interview game in order to make it look like other people have a chance. he's made his mind up already.

he's made his mind up already.

First off, you can't say the Rams had a better season than us. The finished 1 game better than us and played in the worst division in NFL history.

And with the coaching situation, stop trying to act like you have inside info and/or know who's going to be hired. Holmgren doesn't know yet, so unless you plan taking his job, you don't know either.

Archived