THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Fire Eric Mangini

DawgEatSteel

I remember 2 years ago when Mangini was hired. I was really upset and wanted him out asap. I thought that he would set us back a few years and would fail miserably. In fact, the only reason why I joined this board was to voice my displeasure about the Mangini hiring. I was perhaps the most outspoken board member throughout his first off season and most of the regular season. All that changed when we won the last four games including the Steeler game. I saw the progress we had made and started to believe in Mangini. I then became a fan of him and his moves and began singing his praises.

Throughout last off season and this season, I continued to believe in him and his staff. I liked the direction they were headed in and where we were going. We showed progress even though the record did not indicate it. We were a better team this year than the last couple and make huge strides in some areas. However, this was not enough to keep Mangini his job. This saddens me. I do believe that he deserved another year and that he should have gotten it. However, I do not think poorly of Holmgren for it. It is his decision.

I wish Eric the best of luck and think that he will be successful with whatever he does next. Farewell, Eric Mangini.

Here is the whole point of this thread: Don't hang your heads, Browns fans. Don't mope or jump ship to another team. Believe in this team. Believe in what we are doing. We have some good players who showed potential this year in Haden, Mack, Ward, and Hillis. They could turn into great players some day. Hopefully I'm right. Be proud of our team and our history. Yes, other team's fans will continue to make fun of us and say that he root for a horrible franchise and live in a crap city, but don't be upset. We will be great again.

Don't make my mistakes. When we hire a new coach, support him. Even if you can't stand the man, root for him. Don't make asinine statements like I did and let past deeds get in the way. I have been very outspoken in my opinion about not wanting John Gruden as a head coach. However, if he is hired, I will become the biggest Gruden fan in the world. I will not make the same mistake.

Don't be ignorant and not give the guy a chance. Believe in him. Support him. Give the guy a chance like I should have done for Mangini.

Although I am sad that the revolving door of coaches have continued here in Cleveland, I am also excited. We have a lot to look forward to and should be happy going into the off season. Let's make the best of the next 8 months and rally around our team and new coaching staff.

And most importantly, Go Browns!

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think another interesting name that could be out there is Jeff Fisher IF the Titans decide to let him go. That man is just a good coach. My gut feeling right now is that we bring in Fox if we can't persuade Gruden to coach again. If neither of those guys work out, then I think it's Holmgren

I like that choice as well. I think he's going to lose the power struggle in Tennessee and going to be looking for a job.

curious as to why you think that? (not trying to be an ass or anything im asking honestly)

I am no guru, but I can tell you two key things about the two defenses:

The 3-4 and 4-3 do not offer much difference as far as sacks and rushing yard allowed when you compare the top teams in each.

The 3-4 has the big advantage of flexibility. Your plays can adjust quickly to how the offense lines up and you can disguise much easier.

We just need the players. Fujita alone was a huge loss for us and you could see the run defense decline without him.

Uhmm who is ignorant. I have been saying that mangini would be fired since like week 10.

If you read my post it wasn't dancing about him getting fired but some of us being right.

Am I happy? Hell yeah... its like an late xmas gift for me...

Stop rooting for the browns you baby

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back kiddo.

What happens if Holmgren names himself HC and he flops? Does he fire himself?

Plenty of INTELLIGENT posts from the past have pointed out the WCO won't necessarily work in Cleveland. What's the common thread between Baltimore and Pittsburgh? A power running game, and a GREAT defense. Running game check. Great defense? Years away yet. In Green Bay Holmie happened to have a HOF quarterback.

I think another interesting name that could be out there is Jeff Fisher IF the Titans decide to let him go. That man is just a good coach. My gut feeling right now is that we bring in Fox if we can't persuade Gruden to coach again. If neither of those guys work out, then I think it's Holmgren

Living just a couple hours from Nashville, I'd love to see Fisher as coach.

A No nonsense guy and a heck of a football coach...

Uhmm who is ignorant. I have been saying that mangini would be fired since like week 10.

If you read my post it wasn't dancing about him getting fired but some of us being right.

Am I happy? Hell yeah... its like an late xmas gift for me...

Stop rooting for the browns you baby

how many times have YOU been right in anything in YOUR life? i'm sure your parents have doubted their decision on a nightly basis.

i think a mass majority of us wishes you weren't a browns fan. FxxK YOU. where did you grow up, yonkers? i was born in the same town as gruden (sandusky) and do you think they have signs claiming him as one of ours? NO. scott may, thom darden, orlando pace...driving into town we proudly proclaim these star athletes. gruden? hell no. we used to beat him up just for the fxxk of it. speaking of which, where do you live in ny? i see you don't have the balls in your personal info to put that up. why? let me know where you hang out so we can talk football..........right along with kicking your ass. fudge.

I am no guru, but I can tell you two key things about the two defenses:

The 3-4 and 4-3 do not offer much difference as far as sacks and rushing yard allowed when you compare the top teams in each.

The 3-4 has the big advantage of flexibility. Your plays can adjust quickly to how the offense lines up and you can disguise much easier.

We just need the players. Fujita alone was a huge loss for us and you could see the run defense decline without him.

I agree. The two OLB give you a lot of options.

Here is the whole point of this thread: Don't hang your heads, Browns fans. Don't mope or jump ship to another team. Believe in this team. Believe in what we are doing. We have some good players who showed potential this year in Haden, Mack, Ward, and Hillis. They could turn into great players some day. Hopefully I'm right. Be proud of our team and our history. Yes, other team's fans will continue to make fun of us and say that he root for a horrible franchise and live in a crap city, but don't be upset. We will be great again.

BS Holmgren is a power hungry guy that didn't want things done in a way differently than he would do it. I won't switch to another team, I think I will just stop following the NFL. Not worth the bother

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back kiddo.

What happens if Holmgren names himself HC and he flops? Does he fire himself?

Plenty of INTELLIGENT posts from the past have pointed out the WCO won't necessarily work in Cleveland. What's the common thread between Baltimore and Pittsburgh? A power running game, and a GREAT defense. Running game check. Great defense? Years away yet. In Green Bay Holmie happened to have a HOF quarterback.

Yeah cause us playing smash mouth football with great defense has worked in the past? Here is a article I found interesting from years ago

"Despite this success, there always have been skeptics. Like the reporters who greeted Holmgren the day he was introduced as head coach of the Packers.

"My first press conference in Green Bay, they're looking at this passing-game offense and asking, 'You know how cold and miserable it gets in November and December?'" Holmgren recalled, unable to hold back a smile. "I said, 'Yeah, and I think it can work.'"

In seven seasons under Holmgren, the Packers were 27-1 at home in November and December, and 5-0 in home playoff games.

"Mike made that offense go in cold weather," his late veteran defensive coordinator, Fritz Shurmur, once said. "He was the first guy to really do that. When he first went to Green Bay I remember people saying, 'Oh, it won't go.'"

Favre made it go. The Packers' exciting, and excitable, passer became a three-time league MVP while directing an offense Holmgren likes to call quarterback friendly. Having the right quarterback is the common thread to having success running the West Coast offense and its many variations. In San Francisco, it was Montana and is still Steve Young. In Denver, Shanahan had John Elway. In Minnesota, Green has had Warren Moon, Brad Johnson and Randall Cunningham.

"It's just a way of making things easier for your quarterback, so you have to design it for whoever that happens to be," Shanahan said.

Whether it's Elway, Young, Favre or Jon Kitna.

"You have to have the quarterback," Holmgren said. "You've got to have that guy so he's making good decisions most of the time, and he's pretty accurate. If you don't have that, then you might as well run the ball."

how many times have YOU been right in anything in YOUR life? i'm sure your parents have doubted their decision on a nightly basis.

i think a mass majority of us wishes you weren't a browns fan. FxxK YOU. where did you grow up, yonkers? i was born in the same town as gruden (sandusky) and do you think they have signs claiming him as one of ours? NO. scott may, thom darden, orlando pace...driving into town we proudly proclaim these star athletes. gruden? hell no. we used to beat him up just for the fxxk of it. speaking of which, where do you live in ny? i see you don't have the balls in your personal info to put that up. why? let me know where you hang out so we can talk football..........right along with kicking your ass. fudge.

HAHAHAHA

This is classic.. The internet tough guy! Im sorry your daddy got fired but at least you got a game ball before he left..

thanks for the laugh :)

I like that choice as well. I think he's going to lose the power struggle in Tennessee and going to be looking for a job.

He might....but I think he will take the year with pay.

I think he might want the USC job...and if he does, USC will find a way to dump Lame.

Yeah cause us playing smash mouth football with great defense has worked in the past? Here is a article I found interesting from years ago

"Despite this success, there always have been skeptics. Like the reporters who greeted Holmgren the day he was introduced as head coach of the Packers.

"My first press conference in Green Bay, they're looking at this passing-game offense and asking, 'You know how cold and miserable it gets in November and December?'" Holmgren recalled, unable to hold back a smile. "I said, 'Yeah, and I think it can work.'"

In seven seasons under Holmgren, the Packers were 27-1 at home in November and December, and 5-0 in home playoff games.

"Mike made that offense go in cold weather," his late veteran defensive coordinator, Fritz Shurmur, once said. "He was the first guy to really do that. When he first went to Green Bay I remember people saying, 'Oh, it won't go.'"

Favre made it go. The Packers' exciting, and excitable, passer became a three-time league MVP while directing an offense Holmgren likes to call quarterback friendly. Having the right quarterback is the common thread to having success running the West Coast offense and its many variations. In San Francisco, it was Montana and is still Steve Young. In Denver, Shanahan had John Elway. In Minnesota, Green has had Warren Moon, Brad Johnson and Randall Cunningham.

"It's just a way of making things easier for your quarterback, so you have to design it for whoever that happens to be," Shanahan said.

Whether it's Elway, Young, Favre or Jon Kitna.

"You have to have the quarterback," Holmgren said. "You've got to have that guy so he's making good decisions most of the time, and he's pretty accurate. If you don't have that, then you might as well run the ball."

What I just said, short attention span. Common denominator? HOF quarterback. & BTW Elway never won the big prize until he had a decent running game to back up his passing.

Another dumb decision by this franchise that it will regret. Since '99 this is the only coach with a well defined philosophy on the team's direction. Rumours are that John Fox may replace him, if you think Mangini's offense was putrid wait till you see Fox's. I reside in the Carolinas and am treated to that weekly.

I will bitter about this for a very long time. If they don't bring in Jeff Fisher, than we go backwards. Anyone else, and you shoot yourself in the foot.

i lost all respect for fat boy holmgren. go eat some more donuts ya prick. what happens when this doesn't work out? start all over again, then AGAIN THEN AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN........

Let's just hire Lane Kiffin and stop with the mumbo jumbo. Kiffin is clearly the best candidate and has displayed his excellent coaching capabilities while coaching the Tennessee Volunteers, USC Trojans, and Oakland Raiders.

If you think I'm serious, you're a Retard

On a side note as a level III USA Hockey official I think your avatar should have been called as interference. Much like the caps 1st goal was goalie interfernce on Sat.. You can't knee a goal tender then stab at the puck should have been blown dead. Just my honest opinion as an official not just a lifelong PENS fan.

Also, what the hell is a "baby back bitch" I heard that in the movie the Longest Yard last night too. I don't get it. Why the venom towards Sid? You can't say he isn't good. He's taken some undeserved abuse from fans and players since coming to the league as an '87 (17 yr old). He's got a Cup a Gold medal and a WJC silver. Thanks to Fleury's poor puck handling (GO USA).

If ovi had the drive and work ethic of sid the caps would have won a cup by now. His natural ability is amazing but his skating and puck control is sloppy. When he gets shut down he start playing dirty. I'll give it to him for taking a real fight. That's tough it was my job on Jr. A team it's tough.

Toxic, while I do enjoy some of your posts and we all know WRREBEL is a Gruden Fudge Packer and is the most annoying child on the board, you're out of line. Calm down man, we are all Browns fans here.

i lost all respect for fat boy holmgren. go eat some more donuts ya prick. what happens when this doesn't work out? start all over again, then AGAIN THEN AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN........

You lost all respect for Holmgren...? Why? Because he just made his first coaching change ever in Cleveland? Why the hell are you being such an asshole over this, are you a total mangini fag or what is going on with you?

Toxic, while I do enjoy some of your posts and we all know WRREBEL is a Gruden Fudge Packer and is the most annoying child on the board, you're out of line. Calm down man, we are all Browns fans here.

yeah man, sorry. it's been another rough year AGAIN. some of our fan base have been wishing for this day 4 games into the season, which i find out of line. i live and breath the browns and try to respect everyone's views here. even the steeler fans. there are a certain amount of posters here that just come to antagonize and this guy just hits the right buttons......

i really lost a lot of respect for holmgren with this decision BUT he is more knowledgeable about this than i could ever be. let's hope he knows what he's doing. if not we'll be having these same type of threads next year.

Also, what the hell is a "baby back bitch?"

Just another phrase to add to your arsenal of insults ;) ... it's just a funnier way to call someone a bitch.

You can't say he isn't good.

I never said he isn't good. He is sensational and he is having a historic season. I don't deny the fact that he is good, I just dont't like him.

Do I think he's good? Yes. You can't deny that.

Do I respect him? Yes. He is a good player and seems like a nice guy.

Do I like him? No. He is the rival of my favorite player and my favorite team. Boston Red Sox fans don't like Derek Jeter.

Browns QB Seneca Wallace has stated that Holmgren informed players that he does not intend to return to coaching. - OBR.

In that case I'm for Gruden: still young with plenty of experience, good at designing passing games, local product that respects the area, the city, the team... enthusiastic personality, roots in Holmgren's system ... I'm sold ... let's go get Chuckie.

Zombo

yeah man, sorry. it's been another rough year AGAIN. some of our fan base have been wishing for this day 4 games into the season, which i find out of line. i live and breath the browns and try to respect everyone's views here. even the steeler fans. there are a certain amount of posters here that just come to antagonize and this guy just hits the right buttons......

i really lost a lot of respect for holmgren with this decision BUT he is more knowledgeable about this than i could ever be. let's hope he knows what he's doing. if not we'll be having these same type of threads next year.

Yea Tox, I don't like the call either, while I don't lose respect for The Walrus, it's all on him now. We fail it is his fault. I really think he is doing what is best for the franchise and am excited for the draft. Until then, my thumb will be up my ass because the NBA sucks.

Archived