THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns Fire Eric Mangini

DawgEatSteel

Well it happened...what now?

Cleveland Browns fire Eric Mangini as coach after second 5-11 season

Published: Monday, January 03, 2011, 10:04 AM Updated: Monday, January 03, 2011, 10:08 AM

By Tony Grossi, The Plain Dealer

LINK

BEREA, Ohio -- The Eric Mangini Era is over after two seasons of 5-11 records.

The Browns coach was fired this morning in a meeting with President Mike Holmgren. He had two years remaining on his contract at an average salary of about $3.9 million, according to previous reports.

Unlike a year ago, when Holmgren met with Mangini over a few days to decide his fate, this inquisition didn't take long.

Two NFL sources speculated that Holmgren himself would take over as coach, returning to the sideline for the first time since he left as Seattle coach following the 2008 season. It's possible that he would seek to retain defensive coordinator Rob Ryan and special teams coordinator Brad Seely.

Holmgren took a one-year sabbatical from coaching in 2009 and then was lured to the executive suite as Browns president on Jan. 5, 2010. Prior to formally accepting the job, Holmgren said in a radio interview that coaching the team was an option welcomed by owner Randy Lerner if Holmgren so desired.

Holmgren opted not to coach in 2010, instead focusing on rebuilding the Browns' football and business operations. He reduced Mangini's authority but brought him back to coach despite well-known differences in football philosophy. Those differences -- most notably on offense -- widened in the one year they worked together. While Holmgren acknowledged "his way" wasn't the only way to win, he often winced at and privately criticized the Mangini offense coordinated by Brian Daboll.

"This decision was not easy for me, and it was one into which I put a great deal of thought," said Holmgren. "Although we have made improvements this season, my responsibility is to ensure that we establish a program that will allow this team to compete at a championship level. That will continue to be our goal in everything we do. I want to thank Eric for all of his contributions to the Cleveland Browns, and wish him and his family the best of luck in the future."

"The experience coaching the Cleveland Browns the past two years has been tremendous," Mangini said. "I appreciate the opportunity that the Lerner family gave me. I have a deep respect for the players that I have coached the past two years and how they have made a profound difference in changing the culture - a tougher, smarter, more competitive, selfless team that never gave up. Our goal was to build a team for long term success. The core characteristics we were dedicated to, I believe, will help achieve that goal, and have provided a strong identity for this football team and have helped to create a positive foundation upon which the organization can continue to build.

"I feel strongly that the Cleveland Browns are headed in a very positive direction and greatly value the commitment and exceptional efforts of the coaches, players and everyone in the building that I’ve worked with in trying to help achieve our goals. My family and I have thoroughly enjoyed living in the Cleveland community and appreciate the support and passion of the fans. I know Mike and Tom are also dedicated to building a championship caliber organization and wish them nothing but success."

Holmgren tried to mentor Mangini and also offered the guidance of senior advisor Gil Haskell, his long-time offensive coordinator in Green Bay and Seattle, as a resource for Daboll. But Daboll at times seemed put off by the presence of Haskell, according to a team source. And the offensive product didn't improve. Holmgren was particularly critical of the passing game in his only public comments all season in November.

When Mangini failed to improve on his 2009 record, falling to 5-11 again with four season-ending losses, Holmgren decided to make a change. The emergence of rookie Colt McCoy as a potential franchise quarterback influenced Holmgren to consider the job himself.

If he moves to the sideline, Holmgren would install the West Coast-style offense he learned under Bill Walsh and employed in Green Bay to take the Packers to the playoffs six times in seven seasons as coach in the 1990s. They reached the Super Bowl following the 1996 and 1997 seasons, winning one of them against the Bill Parcells' New England Patriots. Holmgren moved on to Seattle for 10 seasons and took the Seahawks to the Super Bowl following the 2005 season. They lost to Pittsburgh.

Holmgren has always called the offensive plays as head coach. Haskell could serve again as his offensive coordinator. A source said that Holmgren would have an interest in adding UCLA offensive coordinator Norm Chow, with whom he once worked at Brigham Young University. Another possibility is Miami Dolphins receivers coach Karl Dorrell, said the source.

Mangini's .312 win percentage (10-22) ranked 11th among the 12 full-time coaches in Browns history. Only Chris Palmer, the first coach of their expansion era, did worse (5-27, .156). Mangini's immediate predecessor, Romeo Crennel, had a .375 mark (24-40) in four seasons.

Mangin's separate 5-11 seasons came about in different ways. In his first year, the Browns were a franchise-worst 1-11 before winning their last four games. That winning streak earned Mangini a second season.

Amid higher expectations boosted by several player acquisitions and a solid draft orchestrated by new General Manager Tom Heckert, the Browns proceeded to lose their first three games in 2010. They were 1-5 when they embarked on successive monumental upset wins over defending champion New Orleans (30-17) and future No. 1 AFC seed New England (34-14).

The season turned in an overtime loss to the New York Jets. The Browns lost three key players to injury in the game and had possession of the ball in the final minute of overtime with the score tied, 20-20. Instead of maintaining possession and settling for a tie, the Browns tried to move from their 2-yard line and wound up punting with less than a minute to go. The Jets won when Santonio Holmes scored a 36-yard touchdown with 16 seconds left in overtime.

That loss started a 2-6 tailspin. Included in that run was a 24-20 loss at Jacksonville despite seven defensive takeaways, a 13-6 loss to 2-10 Buffalo, and a 19-17 loss to 2-11 Cincinnati. In all, the Browns had seven losses by seven points or less.

Mangini was a surprise choice of Lerner when he was hired 11 days after being fired as coach of the New York Jets following the 2008 season. Mangini was 23-26 in three years with the Jets. His overall mark as a head coach was 33-48 (.407.)

After he concluded his second season with a 41-9 loss to Pittsburgh on Sunday, Mangini declined to say his plans if he were fired.

"I think that I just look at things and evaluate things," he said. "You learn from your mistakes, you learn from just the process. I feel lucky for the opportunity to continue to grow in this role and in this job and I think that will continue. In terms of what could happen, we'll have to see, but I am really happy with the things that I've been able to learn."

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No link currently available but I just saw Breaking News on Sportscenter that Mangini was just let go.

I backed him the entire season and I think he did a lot of good things here, primarily bring in a better attitude to this team. I wish him well on whatever he does next.

Some possible names they dropped to replace him were John Fox, Marty Mornhinweg and the Walrus himself.

my brother works for the browns...and while the things he hears arent for sure...he told me he gets the feeling holmgren is gonna take over....as did the PD article said...personally i liked mangini but i feel confident that holmgren can get the job done with haskell and going back to a 4-3 defense sounds good also...

It will be interesting to see who Holmgren brings in & who else leaves. Personally, the ONLY Assistant I really want to see stay is Brad Seely. Holmgren will put in place a staff with which he is comfortable & I trust that he'll make solid choices.

The part of Mangini's philosophy & plan I would like to see stay is his seeking intelligent, high character players. I wish Mangini good fortune and, as a Brown's fan, look forward to the future of OUR Team.

Mike

John Fox is seen as very conservative on offense, something Holmgren has seen enough of. Harbaugh seems destined for San Francisco. I think it's Holmgren, Gruden, or Mornhinweg.

I was thinking Harbaugh to Carolina along with his QB, Luck. I would think he would have to find that attractive.

I really doubt Holmgren steps in.....Gruden and Mornhinwig would be two of the top choices. If Fisher and Adams can't repair the rift between them and Fisher is let go, he would have to make the list, though I could see him sitting out a year and wait for Lame Kiffin to give USC a reason to dump him and hire Fisher as the Trojans coach.

I'm getting this from another site that posted a Twitter from La Canfora

"The Browns love Gruden and he has some interest. But it may not be the perfect fit in terms of offensive personnel and locale

From what I've gathered on the Browns situation, I see John Fox landing there as head coach with Mike McCoy as offensive coordinator"

All I know is that if we actually give Marty Mornhinweg a chance to HC this team I might have to be put on suicide watch.

He won't take the wind in OT anymore :rolleyes:

Rob Ryan won't last two years as a Head Coach. He's a smoke-n-mirrors guy. I'm with Roach and hope he lands in Cincy as their Head Coach.

Holmgren will take over as Head Coach and he will bring in a whole new staff or coordinators, including recommending Rob Ryan for a OC/HC job elsewhere. Why limp along with Ryan at DC with one-year left on his contract, when all he wants is to depart for a HC job somewhere? Get rid of him now so there are no changes a year into the rebuild.

Holmgren will draft a QB with the 6th overall pick and so the cycle continues ...

(the stadium would make a great dog track for summer use)

I dont' think it will be Holmgren at coach. I think it will be an offensive minded guy and I also don't think we draft a QB in round 1. We're going to give Colt one more season as the #1 guy and with the proper style of offense for him and we add some weapons on offense in the off season.

As much as I don't want Wrreble to be right, I think it will be Gruden. The name not being mentioned is Mariucci and I would think he would be an option. John Fox at DC.

Exit Mangini. Ryan won't be around either. I can't fault him for pursing his head coaching aspirations but in doing so he shows that he is not 100% committed in helping the Browns become contenders.

Lets see if the Walrus can work some his magic as he returns to the sidelines as Browns head coach.

Rob Ryan won't last two years as a Head Coach. He's a smoke-n-mirrors guy. I'm with Roach and hope he lands in Cincy as their Head Coach.

Holmgren will take over as Head Coach and he will bring in a whole new staff or coordinators, including recommending Rob Ryan for a OC/HC job elsewhere. Why limp along with Ryan at DC with one-year left on his contract, when all he wants is to depart for a HC job somewhere? Get rid of him now so there are no changes a year into the rebuild.

Holmgren will draft a QB with the 6th overall pick and so the cycle continues ...

(the stadium would make a great dog track for summer use)

It would make a nice track....though the best ones have some sort of a lake in the middle.

Now who is laughing ;)

you know you've turned out to be the biggest cxxt on this board. yeah you got your wish...manigini is gone. so what now be a bigger dick and start dancing?

who the fxxk is laughing when you are a fan of this team? obviously you have another agenda besides wanting the best for the browns. do us a favor and blow gruden on your own time. holmgren take over? screw that. marty morningwheg? puke. this is gonna suck. and all you schlubs like holmgren are gonna be in for a big surprise when this WCO fat fxxk throws out the fact that we are starting all over AGAIN and it will be 2013 before HIS system shows significant change.

what a bunch of ignorant bitches. go flip the burgers. are you wearing your burger king crown?

you know you've turned out to be the biggest cxxt on this board. yeah you got your wish...manigini is gone. so what now be a bigger dick and start dancing?

who the fxxk is laughing when you are a fan of this team? obviously you have another agenda besides wanting the best for the browns. do us a favor and blow gruden on your own time. holmgren take over? screw that. marty morningwheg? puke. this is gonna suck. and all you schlubs like holmgren are gonna be in for a big surprise when this WCO fat fxxk throws out the fact that we are starting all over AGAIN and it will be 2013 before HIS system shows significant change.

what a bunch of ignorant bitches. go flip the burgers. are you wearing your burger king crown?

Uhmm who is ignorant. I have been saying that mangini would be fired since like week 10.

If you read my post it wasn't dancing about him getting fired but some of us being right.

Am I happy? Hell yeah... its like an late xmas gift for me...

Stop rooting for the browns you baby

I think another interesting name that could be out there is Jeff Fisher IF the Titans decide to let him go. That man is just a good coach. My gut feeling right now is that we bring in Fox if we can't persuade Gruden to coach again. If neither of those guys work out, then I think it's Holmgren

Archived