THE BROWNS BOARD

This Week in the AFC North

Zombo

The Browns dominated the rivalry in the 50's, 60's and 80's.

The Steelers dominated the rivalry in the 70's, 90’s and 00's.

And now the NFL's meanest, dirtiest, muddiest, bloodiest rivalry resumes Sunday with the Steelers holding a 1-0 advantage in the 10's. The second one ain't going to be easy.

The Browns are the epitome of the saying "nothing to lose" this weekend. The season ends for them either way, but the journey continues. The journey to respectability that began with last season's win at home over Pittsburgh and that took off with the hiring of Mike Holmgren and Tom Heckert. The Browns are a tougher team under Eric Mangini than they have been in years. They've been in every game, and they are the only team in the NFL not to give up 30 points in a game. They've got a tough new running back and a tough new quarterback for the future. They've got young studs on the offensive line, and a rookie shut-down corner and rookie smash-mouth safety who will be the rocks of the secondary for years.

But Mangini, and Holmgren and Heckert, took over a bare cupboard, the team still needs more talent, more time. They don't have Pittsburgh talent ... yet. But another draft or two like this year's and they will be powering through the AFC North like a train.

But they won't need Pittsburgh talent on Sunday. They just need Cleveland toughness. Because this game is, and always has been, about who's tougher.

My money is on the "nothing to lose" bunch of young, tough Browns over the "everything to gain" Steelers who proved last year that if you hit them in the nose when they are on the road ... they will drop and not get back up.

Browns win. Browns turn it around. Browns dominate the 10's.

Cincinnati at Baltimore 1 PM

It only took Cincinnati 14 weeks to figure out that the key for them winning was to do what they did last year: running the ball. The T.Ocho Show maybe sold some tickets and got some headlines ... but it did nothing for this team ... you HAVE to run the ball with authority and play tight defense to win this division ... they should have known that ... because they just did it! And while I'd love to see them knock off Baltimore, I don't see it happening in the Ravens home. The Bungles will do something that they are truly known for ... something boneheaded to lose the game. RAVENS 17 BUNGLES 16

Pittsburgh at Cleveland 1 PM

While a loss could be devastating to the Steelers Super Bowl chances ... that's not what will motivate the Browns this week. They just want to put it all together and beat a good team again, like they were doing at midseason, and smack the living daylights out of their most-hated rival. And now that the Browns are getting stronger in the secondary each week, and have Joe Haden to blanket whatever receiver the Steelers send his way ... they will do it the same way they did it last year: Pressure Ben, Pressure Ben, Pressure Ben. Make him turn it over, make him bleed, knock him out ... just get to him all day long. Offensively, don't make mistakes, hand it to the big guy, and blow open some holes. And then let The Colt salt away the game. Same game as last year ... with a bonus TD pass for Colt. BROWNS 20 STEELERS 6

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They just need Cleveland toughness. Because this game is, and always has been, about who's tougher.

Lets start with not getting all upset if the steelers hit hard again. I can't stand that people call the enforcement against tough hits the "Browns Rule"

If Harrison nails a guy coming over the middle, Thomas goes over and puts him on the ground. Good old style rivalry football.

Once this happens on a regular basis, there can be something called "Cleveland Toughness", but if the players just take it again, and we, as fans cry about it again, nothing will have changed, and Cleveland Toughness is something from the 50's, and 60's.

They just need Cleveland toughness. Because this game is, and always has been, about who's tougher.

Cleveland Toughness is something from the 50's, and 60's.

I'm sorry you have missed the games this year. You might enjoy watching Misters Hilis, McCoy, Ward, Haden ... they're young and they're tough. Just like Misters Thomas & Mack. We are building a tough team, you can get in on the ground floor ... or you can whine like the puss you seem to be.

Zombo

I'm sorry you have missed the games this year. You might enjoy watching Misters Hilis, McCoy, Ward, Haden ... they're young and they're tough. Just like Misters Thomas & Mack. We are building a tough team, you can get in on the ground floor ... or you can whine like the puss you seem to be.

Zombo

What were your thoughts after the first Steeler game? Did you whine about the hits? Did you want the steeler player fined?

I'll agree with you about Hillis, Ward and Haden, but what has McCoy done to prove toughness? I mean PROVE toughness? None of this "he's a Brown so he must be good/tough" that you spew. He has played pretty well for a rookie, but why would you say he is "tough"?

Name calling. Usually displays a lack of ability to really make your point. But it's what you do.

Lets start with not getting all upset if the steelers hit hard again. I can't stand that people call the enforcement against tough hits the "Browns Rule"

If Harrison nails a guy coming over the middle, Thomas goes over and puts him on the ground. Good old style rivalry football.

Once this happens on a regular basis, there can be something called "Cleveland Toughness", but if the players just take it again, and we, as fans cry about it again, nothing will have changed, and Cleveland Toughness is something from the 50's, and 60's.

The browns will be the tuffer team this sunday but only because the stoolers have locked the division title and do have something to lose by playing this game tuff so the steelers will pussy out but still likely wont save the genuises job...to bad for them..

What were your thoughts after the first Steeler game? Did you whine about the hits? Did you want the steeler player fined?

I'll agree with you about Hillis, Ward and Haden, but what has McCoy done to prove toughness? I mean PROVE toughness? None of this "he's a Brown so he must be good/tough" that you spew. He has played pretty well for a rookie, but why would you say he is "tough"?

Name calling. Usually displays a lack of ability to really make your point. But it's what you do.

Hey, it's little soldier boy. You're still here crying all the time when Browns fans don't suit you I see?

You are one very depressed individual, but I still think you're not really a Browns fan.

Wait he claims to be a browns fan?

Yes, that is his claim, although I have never seen him ever say a disparaging word to anybody except Browns fans. Guy is like the Grim Reaper he is so effing depressing.

Yes, that is his claim, although I have never seen him ever say a disparaging word to anybody except Browns fans. Guy is like the Grim Reaper he is so effing depressing.

[/quote

He is a steeler fan, I will have to go back and check but I recognize his posts. He has another name on here as a true steeler fan

WARNING: This response, by a Browns fan, praises Steeler players. Proceed at your own risk.

Colt's toughness may not be exhibited like Hillis', or Harrison's, or Ward's, or....Ward's. He may not look for a linebacker to truck on every run. He may not jaw with defensive linemen after the play. But you can bet he's a scrapper. It's shown in his play, his refusal to quit. and him extending plays. It may not look like much to a Steeler fan, who's accustomed to Big Ben extending the play week in and week out. But for us Browns fans, it says a lot.

I know it's only Colt's rookie season and it very well be that we as fans are jumping the gun...but Colt has "it". The "it" you want every QB to have. The tenacity, the fire. I'll go so far to say Colt is vaguely reminiscent of Big Ben on the field in that aspect...about as much as someone who's 4 inches shorter and 40 lbs lighter can be.

Now don't get me wrong, Ben is an experienced vet who's pulled off some truly miraculous things between the whistles. His elusiveness is second to none, and that comes from skill and physical ability just as much as it does from what he carries in his chest. And that's a tremendous combo to have, heart and skill. It's something that hasn't been in Cleveland since.... Sipe? Kosar? Graham?

Quarterbacks with the will to succeed are a dime a dozen, as are QB's with the tangible attributes. But to find one that has both is a truly tremendous thing. And we haven't had one in Cleveland in the new era yet. Sure, we had Couch, the NCAA wizard. The QB of the future. He could have been something else, but he was a victim of circumstance. No offensive line, on an expansion team...it was a recipe for disaster. Since then, we've had a stable of backups and emergency QB's. So, yes.. we could be jumping the gun. We could be clinging onto the next flavor of the week QB. But I'd say to you that us, as Browns fans, have seen enough QB's without toughness to recognize when we finally have one that's tough.

WARNING: This response, by a Browns fan, praises Steeler players. Proceed at your own risk.

Colt's toughness may not be exhibited like Hillis', or Harrison's, or Ward's, or....Ward's. He may not look for a linebacker to truck on every run. He may not jaw with defensive linemen after the play. But you can bet he's a scrapper. It's shown in his play, his refusal to quit. and him extending plays. It may not look like much to a Steeler fan, who's accustomed to Big Ben extending the play week in and week out. But for us Browns fans, it says a lot.

I know it's only Colt's rookie season and it very well be that we as fans are jumping the gun...but Colt has "it". The "it" you want every QB to have. The tenacity, the fire. I'll go so far to say Colt is vaguely reminiscent of Big Ben on the field in that aspect...about as much as someone who's 4 inches shorter and 40 lbs lighter can be.

Now don't get me wrong, Ben is an experienced vet who's pulled off some truly miraculous things between the whistles. His elusiveness is second to none, and that comes from skill and physical ability just as much as it does from what he carries in his chest. And that's a tremendous combo to have, heart and skill. It's something that hasn't been in Cleveland since.... Sipe? Kosar? Graham?

Quarterbacks with the will to succeed are a dime a dozen, as are QB's with the tangible attributes. But to find one that has both is a truly tremendous thing. And we haven't had one in Cleveland in the new era yet. Sure, we had Couch, the NCAA wizard. The QB of the future. He could have been something else, but he was a victim of circumstance. No offensive line, on an expansion team...it was a recipe for disaster. Since then, we've had a stable of backups and emergency QB's. So, yes.. we could be jumping the gun. We could be clinging onto the next flavor of the week QB. But I'd say to you that us, as Browns fans, have seen enough QB's without toughness to recognize when we finally have one that's tough.

I was impressed with McCoy in our 1st game. You have found your franchise QB and that is essential in today's NFL. You have also found an awesome RB in Hillis with an awesome O-Line. Your defense is really good too and it is surprising to see you guys at 5-10. It should be 10-5. Enough butt kissing (although thats how I actually feel about the Browns). Mangini seems like he knows how to put a team together, but cant coach it into a winner (sort of like John Cooper, although he won, with the teams he had the Buckeyes should have at least 2 more NC's).

Upset. No. No.

I see Tim Couch Pulls Out already did an excellent job explaining this to you above.

Rump Ranger.

Zombo

I'm a Browns fan, but I just say it like it REALLY is. In fact I'm a Browns, Indians and Cavs fan. I just call people out when they say really stupid things.

And you're correct, it is depressing, but its the reality of the Browns, not the fantasy land everyone here seems to live in.

The Indians are not better than the Yankees.

The Cavs are not better than the Lakers.

The Browns are not better than the Ravens/Steelers.

Not being depressing, just being real.

If you like 5-11 seasons, then you are happy with how the Browns play. If your happy with changing coaches every other year, then you are real happy with the Browns.

I want winning seasons, and a winning organization.

Those here like to say the Browns have been successful in the past so its ok. They look like they are making progress at times, so they are fine with it. Losing seasons make you happy, I don't like it.

Go ahead and say you think players that have played 5 games are "tough". Look for nicknames for players that have earned NOTHING! When Colt gets the heck knocked out of him and comes back time and time again, then he EARNS the reputation of a tough QB. Wait till Hillis puts together a string of seasons, the you can compare him to Earl Cambell and Jim Brown. I'm not buying anything unless there is proof.

(this is not knocking either player, i think they are both good, but until they proof themselves, I'm not crowning them anything)

I'm a Browns fan. But don't like 5-11 season after season.

Can you argue with this logic?

I'm a Browns fan, but I just say it like it REALLY is. In fact I'm a Browns, Indians and Cavs fan. I just call people out when they say really stupid things.

And you're correct, it is depressing, but its the reality of the Browns, not the fantasy land everyone here seems to live in.

The Indians are not better than the Yankees.

The Cavs are not better than the Lakers.

The Browns are not better than the Ravens/Steelers.

Not being depressing, just being real.

If you like 5-11 seasons, then you are happy with how the Browns play. If your happy with changing coaches every other year, then you are real happy with the Browns.

I want winning seasons, and a winning organization.

Those here like to say the Browns have been successful in the past so its ok. They look like they are making progress at times, so they are fine with it. Losing seasons make you happy, I don't like it.

Go ahead and say you think players that have played 5 games are "tough". Look for nicknames for players that have earned NOTHING! When Colt gets the heck knocked out of him and comes back time and time again, then he EARNS the reputation of a tough QB. Wait till Hillis puts together a string of seasons, the you can compare him to Earl Cambell and Jim Brown. I'm not buying anything unless there is proof.

(this is not knocking either player, i think they are both good, but until they proof themselves, I'm not crowning them anything)

I'm a Browns fan. But don't like 5-11 season after season.

Can you argue with this logic?

Of course not. No one likes to see their team go through one losing season, let alone multiple losing seasons. It sucks to lose.. obviously. That said, you are one of the most depressing posters on this board. You can't ever find anything good or nice to say about the team. I realize our record still blows but you are such a Negative Nancy! We have shown improvement from last year despite our crappy record. We stomped both the patriots and saints and we have been in virtually every game.

I also realize many of us have different opinions on coaches and talent and who we need to "fix" our team. If you participated in any of these discussions for once you might actually contribute to this board. You seem to only show up to make fun of our team or defend the steelers. For a browns fan, you have a sick fascination with the steelers which is why many question if you truly are a browns fan. Prove me wrong and post something positive about the browns... If you can't do that, go get a room with Gips where you guys can bitch and moan to your heart's content...

There's the reason they've been missing for twenty some years.

Another laugher from the same dipshit!

A 30 - 9 Steelers win is more like reality

The score will not be 30-9 Steelers. No way, holmes. Every game the Browns have played they have lost by 7 points or less. They will play tough and lose by 7 pts or less. I GUARANTEE IT. We will see how the team responds. We will see....

There's the reason they've been missing for twenty some years.

Another laugher from the same dipshit!

A 30 - 9 Steelers win is more like reality

The score will not be 30-9 Steelers. No way, holmes. Every game the Browns have played they have lost by 7 points or less. They will play tough and possibly may lose by 7 pts or less. I GUARANTEE IT. We will see how the team responds. We will see....

But Mangini, and Holmgren and Heckert, took over a bare cupboard, the team still needs more talent, more time. They don't have Pittsburgh talent ... yet. But another draft or two like this year's and they will be powering through the AFC North like a train.

But they won't need Pittsburgh talent on Sunday. They just need Cleveland toughness. Because this game is, and always has been, about who's tougher.

My money is on the "nothing to lose" bunch of young, tough Browns over the "everything to gain" Steelers who proved last year that if you hit them in the nose when they are on the road ... they will drop and not get back up.

Browns win. Browns turn it around. Browns dominate the 10's.

Pittsburgh at Cleveland 1 PM

While a loss could be devastating to the Steelers Super Bowl chances ... that's not what will motivate the Browns this week. They just want to put it all together and beat a good team again, like they were doing at midseason, and smack the living daylights out of their most-hated rival. And now that the Browns are getting stronger in the secondary each week, and have Joe Haden to blanket whatever receiver the Steelers send his way ... they will do it the same way they did it last year: Pressure Ben, Pressure Ben, Pressure Ben. Make him turn it over, make him bleed, knock him out ... just get to him all day long. Offensively, don't make mistakes, hand it to the big guy, and blow open some holes. And then let The Colt salt away the game. Same game as last year ... with a bonus TD pass for Colt. BROWNS 20 STEELERS 6[/b]

The funniest part of this thread is you bragging about the Browns draft this year. Last year the Steelers drafted Mike Wallace in the 3rd round after the Browns took Massengil & Robiskie in the 2nd round. This year Cleveland took Ward and Haden in the top 2 rounds. What happened yesterday? The Steelers 3rd round pick put up better stats than both Cleveland receivers combined, and opened the game by burning both of the Browns DB's that you love so much. Haden can't cover Wallace and never will. Hell, he could hardly run with old-assed Hines Ward yesterday.

But beyond that, who the hell did the Browns land in the draft? Haden & Ward, and the bum QB McCoy. Big deal. Pittsburgh had a FAR better draft. Maurkice Pouncey is a Pro Bowler this year. Jason Worilds is a sack master in waiting. They also landed Manny Sanders who has already developed into a quality #3 WR and future starter, and Antonio Brown who returned a kick for a score and has moved into the #4 WR slot. Stevenson Sylvester is a future starting ILB and current ST's demon, Crezdon Butler is at the very least a future nickle corner, Jon Dwyer will be the #2 RB next year, and Jon Scott could be a starting RG or RT down the line. The Steelers draft was far superior to the Browns, even though they picked half a round later.

No as far as the game goes, Rob Ryan did exactly what you wanted him to do, and the same thing he did last year. He loaded up and brought a lot of pass rushing heat. What happened? Roethlisberger & Arians went to the quick passing game and let their 3 young speedy WR's tear the Browns defense apart. They scored on every drive Ben was in the game, and he never took a single sack. Sorry about the fluke game last year on the short week. It was just that, a complete and total fluke!

Steelers 20-2 vs the Browns this decade!

So, does "This week in the AFC North" continue on through the playoffs?

All year long, Chuckie. I sure nailed that Ravens game ... stay tuned for my playoff picks...

Zombo

Can anyone explain why half of your stadium was empty and the other half was dressed Steelers fans Was it some weird promotion or something?

At halftime, the Public Address announcer proclaimed it to be Homsexual Half; with that Browns fans grabbed their broken beer bottles, empty bottles of Jack Daniels, and the Playboy Bunnies they escorted in and got the hell out of dodge. Meanwhile a bunch of beaten down mobile homes zipped up to the curb and some of the nastiest greasy hair, toothless people rushed through the gates. It was the damnest thing I'd ever seen in my rearview mirror.

Zombo, with your foolish statements colored blue, you did pretty good this week! Only about 70% of your ramblings were wrong, stupid, and idiotic!

Any reason you put the 80's in blue? Nailed that Ravens pick didn't I ? I'll have to settle for 50/50 this week, but it has been a very successful season for The Great Zomboni's gambling account.

Zombo

Archived