THE BROWNS BOARD

Rey Maualuga

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius

From DraftCountdown:

Rey Maualuga, Inside Linebacker, USC

Height: 6-2 | Weight: 260 | 40-Time: 4.75

Strengths:

Has excellent size and bulk...Extremely aggressive...Tough and physical...A violent, intimidating presence who can really deliver the big hit...Good instincts...Very strong...Explosive...Reads and reacts quickly...Does a nice job of taking on and shedding blockers...Will step up and fill against the run...Solid pass rusher and blitzer...Plays faster than he times and has a burst...Has shown the ability to make big plays in coverage...Productive with a knack for making game-changing plays... Offers schematic versatility...Is still improving and has upside.

Weaknesses:

Does not have elite timed speed...Inconsistent...Can be too aggressive at times...Always looking to deliver the knockout blow and will miss some tackles...Does not always take proper angles...Lacks fluid hips...May struggle to match up in coverage...Average change of direction skills...Range is somewhat limited...Will get caught out of position at times... Still immature...Ran into some trouble off the field.

Notes:

Best fit may be inside in a 3-4 scheme but could also play the middle in a 4-3...A three-year starter for the Trojans...Would have been a Top 15 pick in the 2008 NFL Draft but opted to return to school for his senior season...Was arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor battery after allegedly punching a man during a party in 2005...Has faced team disciplinary action on more than one occasion...Was the MVP of the Rose Bowl as a junior when he recorded 3 sacks and an interception...Has star potential if he can keep his head on straight ... Impact linebacker who can take over and dominate games.

You can also check out Aaron Curry's profile here.

Other than the physical negatives (hips), the rest of his negatives can be coached into positives (one hopes). The 4.75 conerns me a bit, though elite speed isn't all that necessary at his position (is it???). Brian Urlacher ran a 4.59 at the combine for comparison's sake.

With apologies to Curry, Maualuga is exactly the type of player this team needs.

Guest Aloysius

I'm pretty bearish on Maualuga, so I was surprised to see Wright describe him as having "Average change of direction skills," whereas he described Curry described as only having "Marginal change of direction skills". Seemingly, that would imply that Maualaga's better at COD.

So I asked Wright about it, and this is what he wrote:

It's somewhat close but Curry has better COD than Maualuga.

Also, he delved a little into the character issues surrounding Maualuga:

In terms of his maturity, he has gotten in trouble for fighting at parties on more than one occasion, he has fallen asleep in meetings, etc. I'm not saying he's a bad guy or that he hasn't made strides the past couple of years, he is just a little immature. Lots of people in their early 20's are.

He probably isn't Bryan Cox, but is he going to get his teammates to work harder, train harder? I'm not sure.

There are also questions about his weight. To his credit, he lost a lot of weight before his senior season, but I'm concerned that he'll chunk back up once he's gotten big money.

Guest Aloysius

I saw the ESPN interview. From what I remember, Maualuga's role was to say, "I got in trouble at a party when I was angry about my father's death, but I'm better now." That's understandable if it was one fight, but Wright said there have been multiple instances. And it's not clear that he's stopped doing things like falling asleep during meetings.

To be honest, that interview pumped me up about Ken Norton Jr., not Maualuga. He did a good job selling Rey's personal growth, and Maualuga said Norton's a father-like figure to him. He's going to be a good head coach some day.

Also, I agree that Maualuga has a ripple effect on the Trojan's D, but that goes both ways. When he plays poorly, they get gashed for big runs and generally look bad on D. His play in the Oregon State game was the closest I've seen a top-flight LB prospect come to looking like Andra Davis.

That scares the hell out of me.

From DraftCountdown:

You can also check out Aaron Curry's profile here.

Thanks Aloy. Just keep in mind, Ray Lewis had alot of people viewing his 40 time as a weakness and I can't tell you how many INTs I've seen him returning for TDs over the years or tackles he's made near the line of scrimmage. Rey's All American Highlights show him retunring an INT for a TD and the Pete Carroll 60 Minutes Special showed Rey returning another INT for a 70 yard TD. I'll take the first step instinct over the MLBer 40 time 24/7.

Curry shows up just as intinctive. I still can't decide which one I like better. I think 1st step instincts are lacking from our LBer corps and EVEN with D'Qwell when I look at WHERE he makes thre majority of his stops. A SMALL percentage of his stops are near the line of scrimmage. He NEVER scores on INT returns because that would mean he was beating the intended receiver to the area of the throw. Just a little food for thought.

- Tom F.

If we have the choice between Curry and Maualuga, maybe it should come down to who's personality is going to fit the Browns defense better. Reading what's been written, it seems there is a difference. Is Rey the vocal leader this team needs on defense? Or do we need a shut up and play kind of guy like Curry??? not sure if those are fair assessments of their personalities, but I think the talent levels are close enough that personalities will figure into the final decision, and in my opinion we need a vocal player that will lead the defense and we'll draft Maualuga. (hopefully will get a head coach that's fiery as well)

Okay, here's my first order of business: (To be changed approximately 25 times before the draft)

!) Beannie Wells---I know he's the sexy pick.....the OSU guy from an OSU homer.....tad bit injury prone etc.

However, he's the real deal as far as backs go. The kid's got mad game and is also a very good guy with a lot of leadership future in him. What else do you want out of a back? He's got size, speed, quicks, power, shiftiness, leaping ability, great cutbacks, good vision, killer stiff arms with either hand and an overall instinct to make the first guy miss.

He fills two roles in the Browns backfield by being both a breakaway threat (Lewis left yards all over the field this year that Beans would have cut outside and got to the second level) and a power back that can carry a team from November to January. He is a serious dual threat back when it comes to power and explosiveness, and those don't come around that often.

2) Aaron Curry---Al has me fired up about this guy, and I think he could make an immediate impact on this team and be a great tandem with Jackson. Even if we go 4/3, this guy could play the outside IMO, he's that good. I consider him a pure football player in the mold of the great ones who see the game and react accordingly. He has all the physical tools and instincts that guys like Leon Williams lack. The NFL has become a league where backers must be able to cover and close ground quickly and instantaneously, and he fits that mold. He is also of high character and along with Jackson would bring a rock solid leadership core to this defense.

3) Rey Maualuga---He's definitely got size and tools, plus appears to have a mean streak and big play capability. He would immediately bring a physical presence to the defense, but I have worries about his understanding the game at the pro level. I think he could be the type of guy that can make the occasional big play, but also the guy who can be caught out of position or taking incorrect angles. I don't trust his instincts at this point.

Darkhorse: James Laurinaitis---Don't count this guy out, he's a serious player and can be trusted out there to get the job done. The main question will be if he can impact games like these other guys, and I believe he can. This will come down to the combine IMO. If JL blows up the combine look for him to skyrocket upward.

I'm pretty bearish on Maualuga, so I was surprised to see Wright describe him as having "Average change of direction skills," whereas he described Curry described as only having "Marginal change of direction skills". Seemingly, that would imply that Maualaga's better at COD.

So I asked Wright about it, and this is what he wrote:

Also, he delved a little into the character issues surrounding Maualuga:

He probably isn't Bryan Cox, but is he going to get his teammates to work harder, train harder? I'm not sure.

There are also questions about his weight. To his credit, he lost a lot of weight before his senior season, but I'm concerned that he'll chunk back up once he's gotten big money.

Aloy,

That's a tremendous job by you. Very important things worth researching. Think about Jamal Lewis coming to us 15-20 pounds lighter in search of the season ABOUT to earn him the raise and contract re-commitment. As soon as he signed on the dotted line for another season as our workhorse, the body weight went back up and he re-lost the step he trained so hard to regain in 2007. It wasn't even close to the same guy. There's always something special about the player that wants to prove himself vrs the ones that are already content with what they've done. Mike Williams is another kid that comes to mind as he was once the best player on the country's best team.

In the future, I'd LIKE to see us use contract incentives other teams are using with body weight and performance. It just seems like so MANY players have come here and forgotten the reason they got the fat contract either via FA or the draft.

This is an important draft and our first 2 picks need to start and become impact players immediately for us to get out of this funk. We're gonna have a lot of good choices on our doorstep where we pick in each round so I hope we're smart.

Worth noting: alot of crap teams from 2007 are in the playoff hunt in 2008 like Atlanta, Baltimore, Miami, Carolina, and the NY Jets while some good teams in 2007 like GB, Cleveland, and Jacksonville went bad in a hurry. We're in an era where smart drafting with sensible free agent signings can change things rather quickly in the other direction.

[b]- Tom F.[/b]

I am beginning to think like Riff

When I look at the depth of the draft, the pool of backers who will be there in round 2 and later is deeper than the pool of backs.

I think we will be better off taking a guy like Wells in round 1, then a guy like Matthews Jr. or Ellerby in round 2.

When you have several holes, you have to consider the depth at various positions, then think about how taking various players/positions will impact the overall improvement.

If as a team you have determined you need a back and a backer and the basic ability of each guy you can take first is about equal based on their position of play, you then need to consider who it is you might be able to select next....if your first selection was a backer, and the next wave of available players is going to have good backers available but the running backs won't be that great, then you really need to take the running back first.

Hope that adds to the discussion.

When I look at the depth of the draft, the pool of backers who will be there in round 2 and later is deeper than the pool of backs.

I think we will be better off taking a guy like Wells in round 1, then a guy like Matthews Jr. or Ellerby in round 2.

When you have several holes, you have to consider the depth at various positions, then think about how taking various players/positions will impact the overall improvement.

While true, peen, I am tired of trying to plug the holes in our D with maybes and projects instead of the enforcer we need. Our D has no face, no leader. Look at Baltimore (Lewis), look at Chicago (Urlacher), then look at us (???).

Beanie's nice. But is this our top priority?

I am beginning to think like Riff

If as a team you have determined you need a back and a backer and the basic ability of each guy you can take first is about equal based on their position of play, you then need to consider who it is you might be able to select next....if your first selection was a backer, and the next wave of available players is going to have good backers available but the running backs won't be that great, then you really need to take the running back first.

Hope that adds to the discussion.

I thought you did a nice job of making your point of view make sense. Clay Matthews is impressive but he doesn't start believe it or not. He does run 4.5s though and he's got great football genes so I can see some upside there. Are there any of your Gators that you hope we consider in this draft?

- Tom F.

Depends on who declares....not many senior starters...a O-lineman or two.

I am pretty sure both Brandon Spikes and Percy Harvin will declare.

Harvin is closest to have the talent to go as high as we draft, but he doesn't really fit in the need category...there will be someone who fills a need that will be rated just as high.

Spikes is going to be a heck of a ILB in the league, but he will be a stretch to take at 4-5 in the draft....I think Curry and Rey are better prospects. Spikes probably later round 1

To comment on mz the pussy's comment....I don't disagree at all, but I don't think any of the guys at backer in this draft are in the same class as the guys you mentioned.

I also don't want to sound like you pass on a clear cut better player to wait to take someone in a later round. My comment is if you have a few guys more or less equal. If you have that, then maybe you consider who you might get later. If a guy like Curry is the best player on your board, you take him as he fits both profiles.....value and needs.

I will be honest...for sure in round 1..I don't consider needs at all...or almost at all. I think you should always select the best player available and worry about playtime later.

If Bradford is clearly the best player, I would take him.

You can't go wrong selecting good players. Where you can go wrong is in not selecting them.

I guess if I had to break it down...rounds 1,5 and 6 are select the best player available no matter what position they play. Rounds 2,3 and 4 are rounds you allow needs to partially dictate the direction you go....round 7 is a round you select the fastest human being you can find, even if he is a non football player...say a track guy.

That would be my draft philosophy.

I arrive at that simply because FA is a part of the process these days...and that process is totally dictated by needs. Teams don't rank FA'a then go after the highest rated players...they go after guys because they need to upgrade a position. Somewhere in the draft process, you have to allow for the infusion of solid talent without allowing the position they play to interfere with the procurement of said talent.

Sure, there has to be some common sense....you don't draft nothing but receivers if every time you selected a receiver was the clear cut best player.

One also has to consider that as you get deeper in to a draft, more and more players end up "tied" in value on teams boards. Obviously needs would be the tie breaker, but early in a draft, you usually end up with some clear cut choices...we may differ on how they are ranked, but a team has a clear cut board...always take the player you feel is the better player.

Depends on who declares....not many senior starters...a O-lineman or two.

I am pretty sure both Brandon Spikes and Percy Harvin will declare.

Harvin is closest to have the talent to go as high as we draft, but he doesn't really fit in the need category...there will be someone who fills a need that will be rated just as high.

Spikes is going to be a heck of a ILB in the league, but he will be a stretch to take at 4-5 in the draft....I think Curry and Rey are better prospects. Spikes probably later round 1

Good point Ballpeen! I think we all kind of overlooked this kid. Spikes actually EARNED a spot on the All American Team so I got to see some of his goodies on the All American highlights. He's an impressive 249 pounds that shows up extremely FAST and instinctive on film. LBers that make plays consistently at the line of scrimmage and produce turnovers with RDs on the resume are the ones that impress me most as "must get." Man it would suck to see someone like him landing on a team already frequenting the playoffs. Then again, there's a reason those teams frequent the playoffs right?

- Tom F.

When he plays poorly, they get gashed for big runs and generally look bad on D. His play in the Oregon State game was the closest I've seen a top-flight LB prospect come to looking like Andra Davis.

That scares the hell out of me.

I was thinking the same thing. I didn't watch him much this year but he was never even near the ball vs Oregon State.

I wonder if most of his publicity comes from that big hit out-of-bounds vs the UCLA QB a couple years ago.

What does he do that Cushing doesn't do?

Oregon State was USC's poorest game of the year, so it really isn't the best example of what that Maualuga-led D was capable of. I think this upcoming Penn State game will really showcase Rey's talents (it better, or he may drop off of our radar).

As for Lum's Cushing comment, they are both good players, just different. I see some Bobby Carpenter in Cushing (that scares me...)

And 'peen, you may be right about Rey not being in Lewis' or Urlacher's class (I mean, who knows?) but from what I've seen I'd me more willing to take that chance than I would be to pass it up, I guess. Again, the Penn St game will be a huge deciding factor for me.

Guest Aloysius

Cushing did look better than Maualuga in the Oregon State game - that lunging out of bounds near-interception was awfully impressive.

That said, Cushing doesn't project well to 3-4 ILB. From PFW:

Scouts were hoping to see USC SLB Brian Cushing perform better than he did when he moved inside against Arizona State to replace the injured Rey Maualuga, but with action coming at him from both sides, he did not anticipate and react as quickly as he did tilted over the tight end on the strong side and did not play with as much pop, power and punch taking on blockers. He is versatile enough to fill in during a pinch, but his best position will be lining up over the tight end.

I actually think Cushing would be a great 4-3 SLB, especially for a team without a good pass-rushing LDE.

He reminds a lot of Chad Greenway, only Greenway's just now developing as a pass-rusher (5 sacks); Cushing's already refined his skills.

I guess it all comes down to who the new coach will be and what kind of scheme he will run. As mouth watering as Rey is you don't take a ILB if a new coach will be running a 4-3. At that point you already have Jackson and would look at curry or Orakpo. Maybe even go after a RB if you trade a few guys and get some extra picks.

BTW, Lerner has halted additional scouting trips to bowl games for Savage until after the season and they have time to sit down and see if Savage will be the GM next year. Kind of interesting.

BTW, Lerner has halted additional scouting trips to bowl games for Savage until after the season and they have time to sit down and see if Savage will be the GM next year. Kind of interesting

That's very, very interesting.

Guest Aloysius

Assuming we stick to the 3-4 (or at least a Rex Ryan hybrid), my strategy would be the following:

FA:

• Kevin Burnett, ILB, Dallas - Burnett's an athletic linebacker (4.58 40) who's never really developed into an every-down linebacker for Dallas. That said, he's become an effective nickel linebacker, subbing in for Zach Thomas on passing downs. He's even shown some skills blitzing from the inside.

Signing Burnett would help us in two ways:

1. It'd make drafting Maualuga much more palatable. Even if you think Maualuga's deficiencies in coverage are exaggerated, you probably don't want him playing on obvious passing downs, at least as a rookie. Not only would it help to bring a more athletic guy on the field, it'd also help Maualuga stay fresh & adjust to playing in the NFL.

If Curry's already gone at pick #6, I could see us trading down and picking Maualuga at #9 or #10. Though I'm scared as hell about Rey Rey, trading down & picking him would be a incredibly popular move. It'd do wonders for the reputation of Savage or whoever is our GM, at least in the short-run.

2. With Burnett playing inside, we could restart the short-lived experiment of blitzing Leon Williams from the outside. With Williams entering the final year of his rookie deal, it'd be nice to see if he could actually contribute as a pass rusher.
  • Terrell Suggs, DE-OLB, Baltimore - The more I think about, the more it seems like we have to sign T-Sizzle. Though I don't like giving big money to a guy who may only be good for 8 or so sacks a year, we've forfeited the opportunity to wait on a hybrid prospect to develop. With Kam regressing and Alex Hall still extremely raw, we desperately need a guy who can rush off the edge. It'd be a reach to take one of the top-flight DE-OLB's with pick #6, and it'd be extremely risky to hope that a ready from day one guy will be available in Round 2. I think that translates into us signing Suggs.

One of the other things that's been mentioned as a reason for not signing Suggs is that he'd play RDE in a 4-3, the same position Kam Wimbley and Alex Hall would be somewhat suited for. However, I'm increasingly convinced that that may be a virtue, not a vice.

If we bring in a defensive guru like Rex Ryan, we could employ the occasional 4-3 front using Suggs at RDE and Wimbley at OLB, or vice versa. Since Wimbley's sacks this year have been mostly the result of him having an unobstructed path to the QB, he'd benefit from being snuck into the backfield behind one of four rushing d-linemen.

And because defenses will be scheming for Suggs, our only big-time pass rusher, we'll need to move him around anyway. So having Wimbley (or Hall) able to somewhat competently rush from the RDE spot would be a benefit to us.

Draft:

• Round 1: Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest - Man, I really hope so. If we got Curry, Suggs, and Burnett, our linebacker core would be set. We'd then be able to use our 2nd & whatever picks we get for DA and/or KW2 to fill our needs at OL, WR, CB, etc.

If not, maybe Maualuga is a good option for us. Bringing in Burnett would make that a little more likely.

With Burnett playing inside, we could restart the short-lived experiment of blitzing Leon Williams from the outside. With Williams entering the final year of his rookie deal, it'd be nice to see if he could actually contribute as a pass rusher.

Sorry Al, I think it would be better to see if Leon can stick with a CFL team at this point.

Hey, Rahim Abdullah had a pretty nice career there and even saved a person's life that jumped out of a burning window.

Guest Aloysius

I'm still holding out hope for him...but I'd also like for T-Sizzle, Kam Wimbley, and Alex Hall to be ahead of him on the depth chart.

If we can get three or four sacks out of him next year, I'd consider that a success.

leon williams' physical talent is something we need to take better advantage of. asking him to use his brain is what's setting him back, so we need to take that out of the equation. we should give him a shot rushing the passer; he's proven there's not much else he can do.

as long as he's on the roster, we should find a way to make him effective.

as long as he's on the roster, we should find a way to make him effective

Kind of like Chump Thompson, Kevin Bentley. Nick Speegle and a few others....

The odds are we are getting about all we can from the guy.

Good players don't need coaches to find ways to make the effective.

JMO

Guest Aloysius
A little sample of Mr. Spikes

No doubt Spikes is a physical freak, but he's got bigger character concerns than Maualuga. From what I've heard, the coaches have been on his case more than once this year about him not playing hard.

nfldraftscout's got Spikes projected as a Round 1 pick, but I wouldn't be too surprised if he dropped to late Round 1/early Round 2 because of those character concerns. Nothing like the insane stock slide Florida LB Brandon Siler suffered a few years ago, but teams are going to have to take his motivation issues into account.

No doubt Spikes is a physical freak, but he's got bigger character concerns than Maualuga. From what I've heard, the coaches have been on his case more than once this year about him not playing hard.

True Aloy, but when you're kicking Tennessee's ass by 30 points - does he REALLY need to stay out there fully motivated? I think the competition differentials have alot to do with player/team boredom. When Ohio State plays Indiana, I would hope there isn't a need to be counting how many 2nd half tackles Lauranitis is making or how many yards Beanie Wells is tacking on. In the same sense, I'll guarantee Spikes won't need a coach to motivate him to be high intensity vrs Oklahoma.

I know everybody knows this but it's worth the reminder. Sometimes teams like the NY Giants, USC and Florida will be looking past opponents like Cleveland, Stanford and Ole Miss. Just when you think you're invincible or unchallengable - you're not up for a surprising challenge at hand. We've all had that team on our schedules and we often refer to that as Homecoming so there's an added incentive to focus for the team the coaches worry about the players not getting up for.

Spikes wouldn't have made All American if he was playing uninspired football more than he should have. Even a guy like Tebow needed a reality check after Ole Miss so it can happen to anyone because they're human. I don't think it's possible to be wired as a slacker if you've got a reputation for being a beast at sic em. Remember SOME of the inaccurate reports on Eric Turner? One unnamed scout in an old BNI issue wrote "often heard he's a big hitter that's all over the field making tackles - never saw that anytime I watched UCLA." I think that guy cuts my lawn now.

This is the time of year through April where rumors about studs get started in hopes of guys sliding down. What was the reason AP was drafted 7th overall by Minnesota? I think SOME of that was off of a report that his shoulder wasn't right and he may need season ending surgery before he plays his first NFL game. Sometimes people START that stuff in hopes that the consistently bad teams don't do their research the way they should. Your buddy Flugel is a gullable basterd so I bought that rumor hook line and sinker because I only had eyes for him. I LIKE our first round in 2007 though. Another year, someone argued DeAngelo's 40 time was too much of a concern for us to consider him as our change of pace - home run threat. How many times has the goal line ended his sprints with the football this season? I'm sure Carolina is happy as Hell we took the bait on Wimbley working out like Tarzan inspite of only 1 steller season at FSU where 4 of his 10 sacks came against 1 cupcake opponent. The rest of his career wasn't exactly slam dunking #13 overall. I gotta see the transferables a guy like Spikes, Rey or Curry shows.

- Tom F.

I think some of that is coachspeak that doesn't mean much to me...I know Spikes makes plays, and he is way better than Siler.

Spikes will be a 12 year starter and make more than a few pro-bowls.....barring injury or playing for a simpleton like Romeo who will bury him on the bench the first 4 years of his career.

If Adrian Peterson played for Romeo, he would only have 30 career carries to this point....something about him not blocking well enough.

I think some of that is coachspeak that doesn't mean much to me...I know Spikes makes plays, and he is way better than Siler.

Spikes will be a 12 year starter and make more than a few pro-bowls.....barring injury or playing for a simpleton like Romeo who will bury him on the bench the first 4 years of his career.

If Adrian Peterson played for Romeo, he would only have 30 career carries to this point....something about him not blocking well enough.

LOL! Yup and since you wrapped it up in about 5 less paragraphs than I could have - I don't need to piggyback anything.

- Tom F.

Guest Aloysius

Don't know, guys.

A guy who doesn't play hard when blowing out the Vols (sorry, Dennis) may end up becoming the guy who doesn't play hard when we're down by 2 TD's in the 4th Quarter of a playoff game, or the guy who just stops playing when we're 2-5 in a down year.

Spikes seems like the kind of guy the Pats & Steelers could draft and have the veterans keep in check. I don't know if we have the structure in place to do the same.

Instead of absorbing him into a high-character squad, we'd be trying to build a high-character squad with Spikes as its core.

Not sure that's a good idea.

Don't know, guys.

A guy who doesn't play hard when blowing out the Vols (sorry, Dennis) may end up becoming the guy who doesn't play hard when we're down by 2 TD's in the 4th Quarter of a playoff game, or the guy who just stops playing when we're 2-5 in a down year.

Spikes seems like the kind of guy the Pats & Steelers could draft and have the veterans keep in check. I don't know if we have the structure in place to do the same.

Instead of absorbing him into a high-character squad, we'd be trying to build a high-character squad with Spikes as its core.

Not sure that's a good idea.

Legit concerns Aloy.

That said, I can't help but asking what valid proof do we have he's a slacker when he's the guy on the All American highlights? ILBer isn't the type of position you can show up and play solid football thinking "I only need my C game." MOST highly effective ILBers aren't wired to be slackers with an on switch. It just doesn't fit the job description. Players DO ease up when they're up by 30-40 points though because they're human and there's no need to PROVE any more than what the scoreboard already reads. It's not like TN had a Peyton Manning an opponent with a big lead needed to worry about.

You're alot more thorough in your research than I am capable of so I'm just trying to get you to question how these rumors add up to consensus All American. Here's where I'm going with this: I'm wondering if this character wrecking rumor starts where the usual rumors start by scouts wanting prospects to slide to their mid to late 1st round doorsteps. Somebody got a pretty decent Dan Marino late in round 1 from this kind of pre-draft character assassination. Allegedly pre-draft Adrian Peterson's arm was going to fall out of the socket if he didn't get season ending shoulder surgery before his rookie year. Here's a guy that SHOULD have been #1 overall that goes 7th overall - and why? There was supposedly a surgery that needed to take place which still hasn't happened some 3000-3500 rushing yards later. IMO, Joe Thomas and AP are the best top 10 picks in that draft. Meanwhile, LATE rumours catapulted Jamarcus Russell into everybody's top 5 Mock Drafts. How did he get so much better 1 month before the draft?

If Spikes goes to NE - we're probably looking at a nice 12 year career with him teaming up with Mayo and Crable as the Next Generation of NE LBer Corps. For some reason they have the team leadership and right people at the top to get exchange value on players with risky reputations. FAs: Dillon and Moss. Meanwhile, Vince Wilfork was rumored to take plays off. When you draft a kid like this - you give him salary incentive to stay at a certain weight, run a certain 40 and bench press a couple cars as well as achieve certain things on the field. Albert Haynesworth didn't START off with the best reputation. His 2008 contract said - make the Pro Bowl and we'll remove the Franchise Player tag meaning???? There's going to be a Hell of an Auction in 2009 for this young man but didn't Tenn keep a motivated BIG man this year?

- Tom F.

Archived