THE BROWNS BOARD

Bye Bye Mangini

Buck The Frowns

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5-11, now 5-10, and a very bad day for coaching in Cleveland. This couldn't be any clearer: Mangini is gone.

Best guess has Holmgren and Haskell making McCoy the triggerman of a WCO, a great scenario that sure as hell isn't "starting over" given that both guys are already here. We need at least two very serious WRs who can get open like Green Bay's WCO WRs do. It'll happen: One in the first round, another in free agency.

The defense? Can't say for sure. But I feel pretty certain about Mangini heading out and the WCO heading in.

Well, the look on Mnagini's face after the game spoke volumes- like the guy KNOWS he's toast. Not for lack of trying, or creativity on offense for a change. At this stage the Browns have to play error free football to win they didn't. Colt had a more typical rookie game. Massaquoi get stripped. Those picks and fumble were caused by Mangini, I suppose.

You can blame Magini for lousy clock management at the half, but little else. We don't have the horses, so fire the coach.

We don't have the horses, so fire the coach.

The sad thing is the same could be said for all Browns coaches since 1999.

Revolving GMs and coaches, incremental and other high draft picks and the talent is still significantly below that of an NFL playoff contender.

Maybe Chris Palmer is still the best coach of the new Browns.

This season if very important to the Holmgren group, having a year under their belt.

The sad thing is the same could be said for all Browns coaches since 1999.

Revolving GMs and coaches, incremental and other high draft picks and the talent is still significantly below that of an NFL playoff contender.

Maybe Chris Palmer is still the best coach of the new Browns.

This season if very important to the Holmgren group, having a year under their belt.

Exactly what I've been saying John. The revolving door has got to stop sometime, and I hope it's now. We're in year two of a total rebuild, and because they're aren't (to some folks here's minds) instant results let's blow it up again and start over.

Some folks might not like Mangini's style- but it will win games- IF you don't make killing mistakes. The Browns were on their way until Massaquoi got stripped, and Colt threw the pick. B-more goes on a long drive, tires out an undermanned defense and the rest is history.

Exactly what I've been saying John. The revolving door has got to stop sometime, and I hope it's now. We're in year two of a total rebuild, and because they're aren't (to some folks here's minds) instant results let's blow it up again and start over.

Some folks might not like Mangini's style- but it will win games- IF you don't make killing mistakes. The Browns were on their way until Massaquoi got stripped, and Colt threw the pick. B-more goes on a long drive, tires out an undermanned defense and the rest is history.

Problem is, it's not Holmgren's style and Holmgren is the boss. The only way Walrus keeps rolling without his guys and his systems is if the Browns are winning. It looks like we'll go from 5-11 to 5-11. The Chiefs went from winning 10 games in three years to probably winning 11 in 2010. The Rams went from 1-15 to probably 8-8 and a division championship.

That's the league we play in... not one where 4-12 to 5-11 to 5-11 is considered progress. Worse, the Browns closed really, really badly, not on a four-game winning streak like last year. Nobody made it rough on Holmgren.

This is the Holmgren era, not the Mangini era.

Well, here we go, the Cleveland Browns HC carousel has begun AGAIN! Mangini will be fired making a lot of "fans" very happy, we all will be hearing names like Cowher and Gruden and resurrecting Paul Brown and seeing if Lombardi has a grandson, but will either end up with Holmgren coaching (which destroys the solid structure this team FINALLY has) or some coordinator moving up to HC for the first time. About this time in 2012 (if the earth is still here) we will be talking the SAME thing. FIRE THE COACH!

I dont know, maybe its just me and all, but NO "big name" or "well established" coach is going to come to Cleveland! ITS CAREER SUICIDE! This city (and partially understandable) is SO impatient and SO miserable that they want to be the Patriots or Stools over night. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN! The LACK of TALENT on this team for YEARS will NEVER ALLOW A COACH TO COME IN AND WIN OUT! NEVER!

I also find it funny that people want to switch back to the 4-3. That would be a COMPLETE overhaul of the front 7 of the D. After complaining about the 4-3 for years......again, the cycle. LOL!

When will Cleveland learn? Hoping for losses, nitpicking stupid crap, forgetting any positive thing and only focusing on the negatives.......its what Cleveland does.......

I guess I should join the fight then. I hope for a loss game one next year, it will be a meaningless win that will only cause (insert new HC name here) to be here longer and will just screw up our draft pick anyway! YEAH!

Sorry, just sick of losing, and sick of all the "FIRE EVERYONE!" all the flippin time........banghead

Well, here we go, the Cleveland Browns HC carousel has begun AGAIN! Mangini will be fired making a lot of "fans" very happy, we all will be hearing names like Cowher and Gruden and resurrecting Paul Brown and seeing if Lombardi has a grandson, but will either end up with Holmgren coaching (which destroys the solid structure this team FINALLY has) or some coordinator moving up to HC for the first time. About this time in 2012 (if the earth is still here) we will be talking the SAME thing. FIRE THE COACH!

I dont know, maybe its just me and all, but NO "big name" or "well established" coach is going to come to Cleveland! ITS CAREER SUICIDE! This city (and partially understandable) is SO impatient and SO miserable that they want to be the Patriots or Stools over night. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN! The LACK of TALENT on this team for YEARS will NEVER ALLOW A COACH TO COME IN AND WIN OUT! NEVER!

I also find it funny that people want to switch back to the 4-3. That would be a COMPLETE overhaul of the front 7 of the D. After complaining about the 4-3 for years......again, the cycle. LOL!

When will Cleveland learn? Hoping for losses, nitpicking stupid crap, forgetting any positive thing and only focusing on the negatives.......its what Cleveland does.......

I guess I should join the fight then. I hope for a loss game one next year, it will be a meaningless win that will only cause (insert new HC name here) to be here longer and will just screw up our draft pick anyway! YEAH!

Sorry, just sick of losing, and sick of all the "FIRE EVERYONE!" all the flippin time........banghead

Do me a favor quit putting Cowher in the equation. He won't coach the Browns. I have a better chance of catching a piggy back ride from big foot to Kennywood with the park open JUST FOR ME. It's not gonna happen.

Do me a favor quit putting Cowher in the equation. He won't coach the Browns. I have a better chance of catching a piggy back ride from big foot to Kennywood with the park open JUST FOR ME. It's not gonna happen.

I agree, I used it as an example of the CHANTS 2 years ago, not out of reality.

Agree with you on the Chin- but agree with everything else in the post. Maybe Holmgren will give Mangini one more year and put the boo birds to rest at least until September.

If you take it to the negative Nancy's logical conclusion, you should fire every new coach the first year he doesn't win the Super Bowl.

As much as I hate to say it but I agree with you. I dont ever see him coming here. It will only tarnish his legacy in Pissburgh. Then again I dont see him coaching ever again.

He had a good thing going on in pittsburgh and he still left. I dont know if it was because of his family or he just wanted to quit while on top but why give up a good team just to start all over again when you could of kept winning in the first place.

It's not the Browns... it's the NFL. If you follow up 5-11 with 5-11 and a very uninspired last several games, you're either fired or damn lucky, period. It's a fact.

But this situation is unusual because this is the Holmgren era in Cleveland, not the Mangini era. I'd guess that 9 of 10 "experts" were stunned that Holmgren didn't bring in his own people and his own systems, which would be totally understandable. Now he will... and should.

It's not much in the way of starting over if Holmgren moves to the sideline and Haskell becomes OC... and let's be brutally honest: Mangini and Daboll are NOT Holmgren and Haskell. They've accomplished nothing in this league. Holmgren has been to THREE Super Bowls and won one. Few coaches can match that.

The Rams and Chiefs weren't thought to be exactly talent-laden... but both are gonna be in the playoffs after several dismal years. The Browns have lots of good players -- Thomas, Steinbach, Mack, Watson, Vickers, Hillis, McCoy, Rubin, Rogers, Gocong, Benard, Fujita, Brown, Haden, Ward, Cribbs, and Dawson are all very, VERY good football players. Yes, we have a gaping hole at WR and need help at RT. Sure, we need another LB and a DE. But that's not nearly the talent deficit so many here wanna claim to excuse Mangini.

The Chiefs went into this year thought to be weak just about everywhere but RB. I lived there for 17 years and I have scads of super-fan friends who said the team was a mess. Now they're 10-5.

It's not the Browns. It's reality in the NFL.

Problem is, it's not Holmgren's style and Holmgren is the boss. The only way Walrus keeps rolling without his guys and his systems is if the Browns are winning. It looks like we'll go from 5-11 to 5-11. The Chiefs went from winning 10 games in three years to probably winning 11 in 2010. The Rams went from 1-15 to probably 8-8 and a division championship.

That's the league we play in... not one where 4-12 to 5-11 to 5-11 is considered progress. Worse, the Browns closed really, really badly, not on a four-game winning streak like last year. Nobody made it rough on Holmgren.

This is the Holmgren era, not the Mangini era.

Yeah Shep look a little closer- the mighty turnaround Chiefs have played one team with a winning record. Shades of Anderceptions "miracle" 10-6. And the Rams aren't much better- they got blown out by 38 by the freaking Detroit Lions. The Browns have played seven of the ten teams with the best records in the NFL (2 of them twice- and beaten the Pats and Saints) so if you want to tell me the Rams and Chiefs would still be sporting those records if they had played the Browns murderers row, dream on. & FWIW, KC needed a pick 6 to beat the Browns.

And I wouldn't be so certain Holmgren is totally married into "his" system, and "his" guys.

Yeah Shep look a little closer- the mighty turnaround Chiefs have played one team with a winning record. Shades of Anderceptions "miracle" 10-6. And the Rams aren't much better- they got blown out by 38 by the freaking Detroit Lions. The Browns have played seven of the ten teams with the best records in the NFL (2 of them twice- and beaten the Pats and Saints) so if you want to tell me the Rams and Chiefs would still be sporting those records if they had played the Browns murderers row, dream on. & FWIW, KC needed a pick 6 to beat the Browns.

And I wouldn't be so certain Holmgren is totally married into "his" system, and "his" guys.

I made this same point 2 weeks ago, don't be surprised if your very good point gets ignored.

He's a lifetime WCO guy. I have no testicles left to bet (meaning I should know better), but if I did, I'd bet on two things: Mangini is gone and we're running a WCO with McCoy next year. Holmgren won't fail in Cleveland with somebody else's systems. He bleeds WCO.

I get the variables, injuries and schedule. But in the end, nobody gives a shit about excuses, even valid ones. The Browns once again had one of the worst offenses in the NFL, something a Walsh disciple like Holmgren will not just live with.

From where I sit: Holmgren, WCO, McCoy, A.J. Green or Julio Jones. Other high level additions (draft and f/a): RT, DE, and LB. Four positions, two FA and the top two picks.

It's not the Browns... it's the NFL. If you follow up 5-11 with 5-11 and a very uninspired last several games, you're either fired or damn lucky, period. It's a fact.

But this situation is unusual because this is the Holmgren era in Cleveland, not the Mangini era. I'd guess that 9 of 10 "experts" were stunned that Holmgren didn't bring in his own people and his own systems, which would be totally understandable. Now he will... and should.

It's not much in the way of starting over if Holmgren moves to the sideline and Haskell becomes OC... and let's be brutally honest: Mangini and Daboll are NOT Holmgren and Haskell. They've accomplished nothing in this league. Holmgren has been to THREE Super Bowls and won one. Few coaches can match that.

The Rams and Chiefs weren't thought to be exactly talent-laden... but both are gonna be in the playoffs after several dismal years. The Browns have lots of good players -- Thomas, Steinbach, Mack, Watson, Vickers, Hillis, McCoy, Rubin, Rogers, Gocong, Benard, Fujita, Brown, Haden, Ward, Cribbs, and Dawson are all very, VERY good football players. Yes, we have a gaping hole at WR and need help at RT. Sure, we need another LB and a DE. But that's not nearly the talent deficit so many here wanna claim to excuse Mangini.

The Chiefs went into this year thought to be weak just about everywhere but RB. I lived there for 17 years and I have scads of super-fan friends who said the team was a mess. Now they're 10-5.

It's not the Browns. It's reality in the NFL.

I have come to beleive we may have some of the dumbest fans in the NFL. They say New York fans are the smartest and except for a few of the Browns fans who actually get it, the rest aren't very smart..

5 ans 11 is 5 and 11 anyway you draw it up.. AND for those tools who say were listening to the media or ESPN, sorry wrong! I dont need ESPN to tell me 5 and 11 is a losing season..

Mangini is an over glorified ball boy! He is not a genious and has not evolved from New York. We have enough talent to win. No not a play off team but not a 5-11 team either.

It's like this, if you were dating a girl for 2 years and new she wasnt the one, would you keep on dating her for stability? Probably some of you fools would probably marry her!

I have come to beleive we may have some of the dumbest fans in the NFL. They say New York fans are the smartest and except for a few of the Browns fans who actually get it, the rest aren't very smart..

5 ans 11 is 5 and 11 anyway you draw it up.. AND for those tools who say were listening to the media or ESPN, sorry wrong! I dont need ESPN to tell me 5 and 11 is a losing season..

Mangini is an over glorified ball boy! He is not a genious and has not evolved from New York. We have enough talent to win. No not a play off team but not a 5-11 team either.

It's like this, if you were dating a girl for 2 years and new she wasnt the one, would you keep on dating her for stability? Probably some of you fools would probably marry her!

I am beginning to think you are 12 years old.

So being a fan is like marriage ?

Well I ain't buying that . Marriage and stability have run afoul in my life . But I am still a Browns fan . I don't need some pants pisser like you to explain it for me .

What a putz

So being a fan is like marriage ?

Well I ain't buying that . Marriage and stability have run afoul in my life . But I am still a Browns fan . I don't need some pants pisser like you to explain it for me .

What a putz

Maybe I should try drawing it for you in craynon..

"Of course I peed my pants, everyone my age pees their pants. It's the coolest!"

I literally just fell out of my chair laughing... "They" must be the N.Y. media.. You need to get outside your N.Y. bubble...

I am beginning to think you are 12 years old.

Its not him, Gruden and son called him, told him to post that.......

Either way, yes, I agree, I am beginning to think the same thing about Browns fans. Constant changes every 2-3 years....SB or bust.......must be from OH to be worthy of playing for the Browns...honestly, I'm surprised i havent seen a post hoping Pryor declairs so we can draft him first round to replace Colt and his "week arm." Agreed, some Browns fans need commited......

some of you seem to be forgetting that even keeping mangini when holmgren took over was a big suprise. not many gms and presidents keep a coach they didn't pick. i liked mangini, but lets face it, hes made some bad decisions, most notably keeping dabol going into this year, as well as some poor clock management.

odds are he'll be let go after this season, and seeing as how the other year gruden was practically auditioning for the job that one game, and the fact that hes trained up by holmgren, it's likely he'll be in talks for the job

some of you seem to be forgetting that even keeping mangini when holmgren took over was a big suprise. not many gms and presidents keep a coach they didn't pick. i liked mangini, but lets face it, hes made some bad decisions, most notably keeping dabol going into this year, as well as some poor clock management.

odds are he'll be let go after this season, and seeing as how the other year gruden was practically auditioning for the job that one game, and the fact that hes trained up by holmgren, it's likely he'll be in talks for the job

A suprise to who exactly? ESPN and other forms of media thats who. I was not surprised. That said, I won't be surprised if Mangini is fired this year- but it doesn't mean I have to agree with it...

Chill out folks we stank for ten years and Sewage made the stank unstinkable..............

it takes a lot of work to remake a team that HAD NOTHING NOTHING and that is what Savage left

Mangini is a good coach and focuses on defense.................Holmgren was a good coach and he focused on OFFENSE

SINCE OFFENSE wins championships and Holmgren gets that(btw he is the boss) and most NFL fans drinlking the cool aid don't get it

My guess is we hire a guy a that is Offensive Minded and let Mangini go

And that is what it is ....................

I find it hard to believe NFL management is deciding who will or won't be the coach by how loud the fans are complaining on some forum.

This is not logical. If management believes they have the right man in charge they wouldn't care how much a bunch of us complain.

Changes will not be decided by arm chair quarterbacks and Holmgren knows that.

If you belive he is taking into consideration what some forum members think your an idiot. Come on!

Good post Shep and Larry. But we are beating our heads againat the wall every year.

First Mangini inherited the crap Sewage left him and did admrably to make it competitive

But staying in games and losing is not winning that's what happens when you play defensive football

Holmgren knows offensive football wins championships

my guess is he will create an offensive team to just that..............with a coach who thinks likewise.........

and Heckert is already onboard

I'd like to think Lerner wants the Browns to be in the playoff's every year. I would like to think he hired Holmgren to do that. I would like to think Holmgren WILL make a big difference in Cleveland. I would like to think Cleveland fans would put more faith in him and less faith in the Mangenious who became the Mangenious when he turned a team around in his first year, but has done little since. If Mangini is such a genius why aren't the Browns winning more this year. (Time to hear about our poor talent etc.).

In Holmgren I trust. In Mangini we rust.

So when Gruden takes over and we lose more and more games every year like he did in Tampa for 3 years how long will it take before you all throw him under the bus to?

So when Gruden takes over and we lose more and more games every year like he did in Tampa for 3 years how long will it take before you all throw him under the bus to?

The same thing can be used to bash Mangini.. 10-6, 9-7, 5-11 5-11

Can you at least tell me what grudens record was the last two years in Tampa? 9 and 7..

Gruden would crush you in a arm wrestling match!

Archived