THE BROWNS BOARD

Just a curiosity poll

Joker Boy

What do you believe  

30 members have voted

1. 1. What is your religous belief

• Atheist (I believe there is no god)
    • Agnostic (Not saying there is a God But not saying there's not, I really don't know)
    • I believe in God

I know this seems weird but I usually ask this question to people I meet just because I'm curious and I get surprised by how many atheists I actually meet. I've been on this board for a little while now so I thought it'd be cool to see how many fellow atheists are on here. I put it in poll form because I know a lot of atheists don't like putting themselves out there so i thought an anonymous poll would be best, feel free to post your reply after you vote if you feel comfortable. I know this isn't football related but learning more about those around us is always a good thing.

I find this a little interesting. I like knowing where people stand religion wise. I respect all views unless they are way out there. I personally beloved in God because there are things that happen on this planet that I can't explain.

Also, does anyone else think there should be a fourth option that says: Bernie knows all.

I am just curious lol that is why I did a poll so no one would argue. It's always nice to see what people believe. I respect everyone's belief system. Also I know there are religious forums with a bunch of hot heads arguing back and forth the problem is Browns fans are awesome, hot heads are not!! =) The only thing important enough to get THAT passionate over is Browns football haha.

You asked, so I'll tell you. Of course I believe in God. There are a lot of things I have experienced personally that has reinforced my faith. Though I don't think that He is a Browns fan, or a football fan for that matter, LOL! There, I tried to spin a football comment into this post.

At any rate, I'm more spiritual than religious, if that makes sense. There are certain things I don't like about organized religion, as in too many different religions, and the argument of who is right and who is wrong, because until we get there, we really don't or won't know who is right or wrong. But, I don't mind talking religion, and philosophy. I used to get so annoyed back in the day when Jehovah Witnesses or Mormons would show up at my door and try to convert me, but anymore, I just smile, tell them "no thanks," wish them luck, and tell them I have my own faith. Now as for the tv evangelists, like Pat Robertson, I think that they're all kooks! With that being said, there are a lot of things in this world that are beyond our comprehension, and it can be a cool discussion when you go into it with an open mind.

You asked, so I'll tell you. Of course I believe in God. There are a lot of things I have experienced personally that has reinforced my faith. Though I don't think that He is a Browns fan, or a football fan for that matter, LOL! There, I tried to spin a football comment into this post.

At any rate, I'm more spiritual than religious, if that makes sense. There are certain things I don't like about organized religion, as in too many different religions, and the argument of who is right and who is wrong, because until we get there, we really don't or won't know who is right or wrong. But, I don't mind talking religion, and philosophy. I used to get so annoyed back in the day when Jehovah Witnesses or Mormons would show up at my door and try to convert me, but anymore, I just smile, tell them "no thanks," wish them luck, and tell them I have my own faith. Now as for the tv evangelists, like Pat Robertson, I think that they're all kooks! With that being said, there are a lot of things in this world that are beyond our comprehension, and it can be a cool discussion when you go into it with an open mind.

nice post! =) and thanks for sharing

nice post! =) and thanks for sharing

No problem. Like I said, you asked, I told you. I'm not embarrassed or ashamed to share my beliefs, nor should anyone with any sort of faith. Though I would never force my beliefs on anyone. I may not agree with what someone else believes in, but to each their own. And like you, I'm curious as to what others believe, and as well I'm always facinated with the different cultures in this world. Then again, my 2 favorite subjects in school were history, and geography, and to some degree science.... especially the astronomy and weather parts of it. :)

I just had this conversation with my gf the other day. She is religious and I am not. I was raised catholic and I think that is the root for a lot of my dislike of religion (They are a very guilt inducing group of people).

As I whole, she pointed out that I generalize too much (aka, paying too much attention to the crazies) and not enough attention to the normal religious folks. Something I realized was probably true during our talk.

She thinks religion teaches good values and provides a sense of community at her church. I disagree with the values thing however, as the christian faith was very dark back in the day. Even the bible has some really messed up stuff in it, but she doesn't take the bible literally. I think value are instilled by good parents. The community thing sounds good. I think that is a bit of a culture issue in the states. I have traveled a lot and especially in Europe, it seems the people are bonded by a common struggle. I think a lot of it has to do with all of the amazing history they have over there. The sense of community is just amazing in some places. Churches seem to be a good place to get that same thing here in the US.

For me, though, I just don't believe there can be a god. Unless we use Stephen Hawkings definition (the embodiment of the laws of nature). Even then, it is not something that should be worship.

We are too insignificant in this universe to be special, it is almost mind blowing. Any most anyone who has really studied this stuff will agree.

I find it very difficult not to pop a vessel when people discount proven science "Because they just know" or "The bible says..."

There are obviously holes in what I just wrote, but I am at work and don't want to write a book. I just thought it would be nice to put some of my thoughts out there like djdawg did.

I just had this conversation with my gf the other day. She is religious and I am not. I was raised catholic and I think that is the root for a lot of my dislike of religion (They are a very guilt inducing group of people).

As I whole, she pointed out that I generalize too much (aka, paying too much attention to the crazies) and not enough attention to the normal religious folks. Something I realized was probably true during our talk.

She thinks religion teaches good values and provides a sense of community at her church. I disagree with the values thing however, as the christian faith was very dark back in the day. Even the bible has some really messed up stuff in it, but she doesn't take the bible literally. I think value are instilled by good parents. The community thing sounds good. I think that is a bit of a culture issue in the states. I have traveled a lot and especially in Europe, it seems the people are bonded by a common struggle. I think a lot of it has to do with all of the amazing history they have over there. The sense of community is just amazing in some places. Churches seem to be a good place to get that same thing here in the US.

For me, though, I just don't believe there can be a god. Unless we use Stephen Hawkings definition (the embodiment of the laws of nature). Even then, it is not something that should be worship.

We are too insignificant in this universe to be special, it is almost mind blowing. Any most anyone who has really studied this stuff will agree.

I find it very difficult not to pop a vessel when people discount proven science "Because they just know" or "The bible says..."

There are obviously holes in what I just wrote, but I am at work and don't want to write a book. I just thought it would be nice to put some of my thoughts out there like djdawg did.

Fair assessment. Again, it's easy when you keep an open mind. When it comes to mixing science and religion, I have no problem mixing the two. I guess I have a very unique mind set, but with that said, it's too deep and I'd have to write a book to get my point across just as you have stated. As for the Bible, trying to interpret some of the stuff written is nuts! Which I think is why we have so many different versions of Christianity alone, as people interpret things differently. Religion does have it's benefits as far as community, and some sort of structure, but I don't like when they use it to scare people. That is a big turn off, and I can understand why people get annoyed. But every field there are people who are power hungry, and who abuse that power for their own agendas. Whether it be religion, government, or the place that you work. Those that abuse the power given to them in the church are what give religion a bad name. As well as the religious extremists out there in ALL religions. And Christianity is certainly not immune to the extremists just as with Islam.

I am an Athiest - I wont go into any details as I dont wanna get into an argument. But nothing gets me angered more then religious people trying to push there beliefs on others. I will just leave it at that.

I'm a Christian and have the same feeling. I'm sorry you've been offended in the past. Please know that not all of us are like that.

No qualms about someone asking this question. I used to think I was too smart to believe in God. However after some life lived, I have come to realize there's more out there than a bunch of random atoms smashing into each other and randomly forming everything we know, see, and feel. I know now there is some sort of great orchestrator, I just don't know how He works. And neither does anyone else, because whoever that orchestrator is He doesn't exactly get off his cloud and explain it to us. That's why I don't get much into organized religion, though I draw philosophies from several of them. I can tell you that living a life of faith is much more bearable than living without it, as I have experienced both.

• 1 month later...

I'm an atheist to the point of the creation of the universe. I don't have an answer to that, but everything, for as far back as we can tell obeys four simple forces, the electric, magnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear forces. We were all just hydrogen or helium at one point. Given billions of years, hydrogen learns to think.

I know what is going to happen to every one of us when we die. The molecules in our bodies will be broken down. These broken down molecules in turn become life for who knows how many different plants, animals, or people in the future. Every single proton and electron in your body has a history that goes back to the Big Bang. You have atoms in you that may have been part of George Washington, Albert Einstein, hell, maybe even a god damn Velociraptor. This miracle of the continuity of life, and life from non-life appeals to my heart more than any spiritual myth ever could.

I'd like to believe that the wiring of my neurons which, in essence, makes me, ME will carry on, but there is zero evidence to suggest that it does.

2yocupj.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived