Sign in to follow this  
Zombo

"Anatomy of a Play" Request

Earl, if you are doing your great feature this week, I would love to see what we were doing on our last offensive play. I believe we were at the 28 yard line with no timeouts left and I thought we could take three shots at the end zone, or a side-line, but NOT in the middle of the field unless the guy can score because we wouldn't have time to set up. It seemed to me that even if Bell caught the ball there was no way he was scoring and we wouldn't have been able to set up in time and the game was over.

I know they weren't going to give us the end zone, but just throwing up a 50/50 ball in the end zone seemed like a better strategy to me than going down the middle of the field ... I'd like to see who our other options were and what their coverages were...

Thanks!

Zombo

I'm down for a break down of any play.

I would really like to know what they did to whip our O-line so badly

They stacked the box on every play and punished St Clair and our rookie guard Lauvao and took advantage of deep blitzes since our receivers demanded zero attention.

Earl, if you are doing your great feature this week, I would love to see what we were doing on our last offensive play. I believe we were at the 28 yard line with no timeouts left and I thought we could take three shots at the end zone, or a side-line, but NOT in the middle of the field unless the guy can score because we wouldn't have time to set up. It seemed to me that even if Bell caught the ball there was no way he was scoring and we wouldn't have been able to set up in time and the game was over.

I know they weren't going to give us the end zone, but just throwing up a 50/50 ball in the end zone seemed like a better strategy to me than going down the middle of the field ... I'd like to see who our other options were and what their coverages were...

Thanks!

Zombo

here you go you can watch that play over and over

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlig...1/Considine-INT

2 things that i take away from that play

1 where Colt threw the ball was not a good decision

2 of all the guys running go routes on that play why in the hell wasnt Evan Moore one of them

here you go you can watch that play over and over

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlig...1/Considine-INT

2 things that i take away from that play

1 where Colt threw the ball was not a good decision

2 of all the guys running go routes on that play why in the hell wasnt Evan Moore one of them

I see it was Watson and not Bell, I thought it was Watson too ... but I swear it said "Bell" in the paper the next day.

And he was a little closer to scoring than I remember.

Those 2-for-1 beeer specials make the fourth quarters a little cloudy sometimes.

Zombo

He had all day in the pocket, the safety was coming up on Watson, he should have waited and made an end zone throw.

Zombo

He had all day in the pocket, the safety was coming up on Watson, he should have waited and made an end zone throw.

Zombo

And despite it not being the best of decisions to throw to that player at the time he did...

The throw was where only the receiver could have gotten it. Arguably he could have fallen into the end zone before the defender hit him.

The fault the throw was an interception was actually that the receiver let hit bounce off his shoulder pads.

And despite it not being the best of decisions to throw to that player at the time he did...

The throw was where only the receiver could have gotten it. Arguably he could have fallen into the end zone before the defender hit him.

The fault the throw was an interception was actually that the receiver let hit bounce off his shoulder pads.

Ya, Colt is accurate as hell, there is no denying that, and there is no doubt who will be our starting QB in 2011.

Which frees us up to draft the best receiver available...

Zombo

They stacked the box on every play and punished St Clair and our rookie guard Lauvao and took advantage of deep blitzes since our receivers demanded zero attention.

Agreed, the Jags were stuffing the box with 8-9 guys on every play and run blitzing like crazy. If it wasn't a run, McCoy had three guys in his face almost immediately. The way to stop that is a deep ball over the top- that's assuming you have the time to do so- and McCoy didn't for the most part. Yup, StClair has got to be replaced ASAP- we need to draft a right side OL in the draft somewhere- Womack is getting up there.

BTW, McCoy mentioned in his postgame comments that the Jags were doing something differently to try and confuse him and the WRs. They primarily used postsnap adjustments, instead of giving him presnap reads. Didn't show the true D until after the ball got snapped- give the Jags D coordinator credit.

PS I really don't understand Daboll reverting to turtle-ball in this game. Lots of creativity against the Saints & Pats- so why stick with a power running game when it wasn't working, especially because the Jags were ranked something like 29th in the league in pass D?

that's the 3rd interception off Ben Watson's body...

don't mind me, just kinda talking out loud here.

Agreed, the Jags were stuffing the box with 8-9 guys on every play and run blitzing like crazy. If it wasn't a run, McCoy had three guys in his face almost immediately. The way to stop that is a deep ball over the top- that's assuming you have the time to do so- and McCoy didn't for the most part.

and also assuming you have a receiver with the speed that can break away from his defender.

MoMass had his guy beat at the bottom of the screen in that clip, McCoy should've pump faked to Stuckey to get the safety to bite then hit MoMass in the back of the endzone. Its easy being a Monday mourning quarterback though.

MoMass had his guy beat at the bottom of the screen in that clip, McCoy should've pump faked to Stuckey to get the safety to bite then hit MoMass in the back of the endzone. Its easy being a Monday mourning quarterback though.

I think there is a safety down there in the end zone at the end though.

Zombo

I think there is a safety down there in the end zone at the end though.

Zombo

Yea if the pump fake don't work I still take my chances, corner's beat, throw it up and out jump the safety

Yea if the pump fake don't work I still take my chances, corner's beat, throw it up and out jump the safety

Oh, I agree, the best play would have been to throw it to the corner of the end zone and let Momass jump for it.

Zombo

And that's something we don't do enough.. Give the WR's a chance to make the play.. My God.. you see the other great QB's making passes that we would we call "Bad Decisions" because they have WR's that will go up and make a play. I don't think we give our WR's that opportunity to make those plays. And I don't like how conservative we have been the last two games and WHERE THE HONK is EVEN MOORE.

We have to take chances once in a while... And I'm ok with that. But playing to lose sucks. If it doesn't work, you have to move on.

Sorry fellas....

Been an insane week around here. I took a day or two to cool off after the loss at Jacksonville. I just haven't had much computer time to get one done. I will get to work on something. Instead of a particular play, I was going to do something a little different. In any case, I'll get something put together for y'all.

Didn't realize it was that missed. Thanks guys. You've made my day.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Monday mourning....

That's funny... especially if it was intentional.

Well, kinda sad

but funny