THE BROWNS BOARD

Youth Jets fan injured after game

CantonLegend

I know there are many of you who do not believe this happened, BUT whether or not it did, isn't it sad that such a thing MIGHT happen? I am damn near 64 years old, but I'm here to tell you, if I saw something like that happen, here in Ohio or anywhere else, I WOULD be involved & possibly hurt, but I have NEVER watched a child or female hurt by ANY man without getting involved, & by God, I won't change. We want our Team to be respected, & part of that respect is the public perception of Brown's Fans. Let's each carry ourselves in a way that ENHANCES that perception.

Mike

Mike,

A lot of people would be too intimidated to intervene and I am not here to say that they should. I would share however a story of my own.

My son who just turned 12 on Monday is a huge Yankees fan. When he was little, we would make the trip to NY and see a game every year. The rules were that even though he was probably going to hear objectionable language that he was never to repeat those words or else mama would have both our asses and he'd never go again. When he was 8, we went to Yankee stadium and the tickets were at "will call". The lines were several people deep and the guy in front of us was a firefighter from NJ who was in town with his colleagues for "First Responder Appreciation Night". He and his pals were obviously drunk and had, by their own admission, been drinking since 11 am (it was now 6 pm). He had a ticket that was ripped in half and was trying to exchange it. He was dropping "F-bombs" left and right and that was the "clean" language. This guy was about 6'2" (I'm 5'11") and he had about 30-40 pounds on me. I looked at my kid who was looking up at me and I turned to the guy. "Hey pal..." I said "I've got a little kid here....Do you mind?!". He looked at me and threw up his hands as if to gesture that he was sorry.

That would have been good except that not five minutes went past when he began again. Now, at this point I had to make a choice. My 8 year old certainly didn't have to listen to this ass. I could have faded into the background. This guy was getting more irate because the stadium policy is that they don't accept tickets that are not intact (his was in four pieces). I decided that I wasn't going to stand for it.

"Hey buddy. I asked you once nicely..." I said.

The guy squared up, sized me up as if to strike me and left. The other parents around me were thankful. Many times, even the most reluctant people will come to the defense of someone who's being wronged if they feel that they have allies in doing so.

This isn't to make any other point than the fact that most of these clowns aren't going to take a swing at you. Of course, you don't know which of the moronic few are going to be the ones who WILL take a swing. I'm not a violent guy by nature but at this point I had done enough in my martial art career to figure if a very inebriated guy took a swing at me...I at least had a plan. For those of you who fit that description, I would offer to you that the best way you can stand up for yourself is to have a plan of "what if".

There isn't a Jets game that I've gone to with my brother where I have not felt a threat around me. Knowing that I could break two joints and toss the drunk down three stadium rows helped me feel better even though I wasn't hoping for it.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody regardless of age should have to put up with that. As for children that game is like a dream come true for them and they have to hear that kind of crap? I try to shelter the little ones from that stuff and in a few years Im sure they are going to want to go to these type of events. I know you can't protect them from everything but this stuff has to stop

I highly doubt the veracity of this incident.

My guess is that the fan was intoxicated and fell and knocked the kid over thats why nothing was done. Notice how it is mom who's talking about the supposed tackling while dad is staying hush hush, odd.

No father is going to let there young kid be assulted without a fight and calling the cops

This story, AFAIC, is a lie.

This isn't to make any other point than the fact that most of these clowns aren't going to take a swing at you.

I would agree except that he was drunk. As soon as alcohol is in the picture, all these rules of thumb no longer apply.

I don't know what to think as to whether it's true or not.

Many years ago, my young neice, Dad and I went to a high school football game.

There was a crowd of young hs guys, about 15 of them, several of them were secretly drinking beer...

after a while in the game, this one kid kept getting up and screaming and dropping the F bomb, the MF bomb, the S bomb,

again and again. I finally had had enough, when it got all quiet, and he was still screaming the F bomb....

and I stood up and yelled over "Hey YOU, SHUT UP".

That got a large applause from most of the people in the stands, and his buddies stood up and told him we were right, and said they should have stopped him, it was low class, and took his beer from him, they apologized to the crowd.

No more problem after that, but Dad turned to me and quietly whispered "I'm not bringing you to another game with you wearing your AF uniform..."

LOL. I was in the Air Force at the time, and got into town from Wright-Pat just in time to go to the game.

If this Jets/Browns fan thing did happen, in one manner or another, I'd like to think that any of us would step in and stop it from happening.

I would agree except that he was drunk. As soon as alcohol is in the picture, all these rules of thumb no longer apply.

Ditto. I'll put in my .02- I'm more inclined to believe the "alternate" story. Drunk people do stupid things- a good potion of the homicides and assaults have alcohol involved, as do a fair percentage of traffic fatalities. We can't tell that guy's intent, but I doubt he was trying to hurt the kid.

Kid gets knocked down (tackled if you must say) by a falling down toasted Browns fan, and (overly protective) mom runs to the press.

Truly, my brother. The only thing that would get between me and killing someone who did this to my youngest? His older brother the college-recruited linebacker, who would ring up a body count of fat, drunk bullies in seconds.

Perhaps, but size doesn't always mean everything. I know what you mean though. Or if they pulled a gun.

For those who have not heard the drama surrounding the Jets fan’s 8 year old son supposedly getting tackled at the Browns game Sunday, the truth has just come out on Rizzo’s Show.

After the New York and national media got a hold of the wife complaining to WTAM and Channel 5 that her son got heckled and tackled at Sunday’s game, a fan who was a friend of the supposed tackler just called into Rizz. He said it was two guys going deep and both went up for the ball and accidentally knocked the kid over. It was just as I expected, a bunch of BS that spread out of control. There is no doubt some reprehensible stuff up there at times, but this one was never believable. First off, no father is going to let his little boy get harassed and tackled (to the point of being hurt) without doing something about it.

Big to do about nothing, but Ctown will still take another hit nationally because of some drama laden housewife.

For those who have not heard the drama surrounding the Jets fan’s 8 year old son supposedly getting tackled at the Browns game Sunday, the truth has just come out on Rizzo’s Show.

After the New York and national media got a hold of the wife complaining to WTAM and Channel 5 that her son got heckled and tackled at Sunday’s game, a fan who was a friend of the supposed tackler just called into Rizz. He said it was two guys going deep and both went up for the ball and accidentally knocked the kid over. It was just as I expected, a bunch of BS that spread out of control. There is no doubt some reprehensible stuff up there at times, but this one was never believable. First off, no father is going to let his little boy get harassed and tackled (to the point of being hurt) without doing something about it.

Big to do about nothing, but Ctown will still take another hit nationally because of some drama laden housewife.

to quote todd packer: "and then for reason, this blonde bimbo blows the whistle on the whole thing. just to be a bitch."

Things must be different in Nashville. I've been to every Titans/Browns game since the return. Maybe five or 6 games? I've worn Browns gear every year.

In all those years I've never experienced anything but friendly chatting, high fives, and hope you guys have a great team next year.

Must be the difference between living in the Northeast and the South/Middle America...

Things must be different in Nashville. I've been to every Titans/Browns game since the return. Maybe five or 6 games? I've worn Browns gear every year.

In all those years I've never experienced anything but friendly chatting, high fives, and hope you guys have a great team next year.

Must be the difference between living in the Northeast and the South/Middle America...

I usually go to Florida twice a year and let me tell you, the people down south are so much more easy going then the people up north but it only takes one beer for some guy to be a ass no matter where he lives.

Perhaps, but size doesn't always mean everything. I know what you mean though. Or if they pulled a gun.

Actually, if they pull a knife, you should run.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5816234

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets, disheartened to hear about an 8-year-old Jets fan in Cleveland who was reportedly tackled by a drunken Browns fan after Sunday's game, reached out to the boy's family Wednesday and offered VIP treatment at a Jets home game.

Matt Higgins, the Jets' executive vice president of business operations, contacted the family after reading of its plight at 6 a.m. on Twitter. The Jets offered to fly the family to New Jersey to watch a game in a luxury suite at the New Meadowlands Stadium and receive autographed memorabilia from coach Rex Ryan and players.

The family politely declined, according to the Jets.

Mistakes By The Lake

A Clevelander tackling an 8-year-old Jets fan is the latest stain on LeBron James' old stomping ground, writes Rob Parker. Read the column

"It's terrible, what happened to that little boy," Higgins told ESPNNewYork.com. "As a father myself, I can say it tugs at you. We reached out to them, hoping we could raise their spirits. But, in talking to the family, they'd like to maintain their privacy. They have no plans to take us up on the offer at this time, but it's an open-ended invitation."

The boy went to the game at Cleveland Browns Stadium in a Jets jersey with his father, who was born in New York. Much to the chagrin of the local crowd, the Jets rallied for a 26-20 overtime victory. The boy's mother, identified only as Danielle by ABC affiliate WEWS because she didn't want to reveal her last name, said the fans in the stadium were great, but things got out of control outside after the game.

"Calling him a bad word, to my husband and to my son, throwing food at them," she said, according to WEWS.

When the family reached the parking lot, the situation got uglier.

"As [my husband] was walking, holding my son's hand, a guy from behind tackled him. A drunken Browns fan tackled him and pulled him out of his dad's hand. He was on the ground crying," Danielle said, according to the station.

The boy was left with a scraped and bruised ankle. The mother said her husband didn't call police, opting instead to quickly get in the car and leave. But the mother wrote a letter to The Plain Dealer in Cleveland detailing what happened.

A team spokesman said the Browns contacted the boy's family on Wednesday and offered "anything we can do" after hearing about the "unfortunate" incident.

Browns coach Eric Mangini was dismayed by the matter.

"If it's true, it's ridiculous and the guy should be arrested," Mangini said. "I would be sick if someone tackled my kid. I think it's just wrong on so many levels and I would be angry as a parent, beyond angry. It shouldn't happen anywhere, ever."

The boy's mother had been nervous about her son attending the game, but believed "kids are off-limits. Clevelanders are such great people. I knew that they would never hurt an 8-year-old kid, never."

She apparently was wrong.

"My husband asked him, 'Did you have a good time?' He said, 'Yes.' He said, 'Would you want to go back sometime?' And he said, 'No, I don't like Browns Stadium.' Who could blame him?" the boy's mother said.

The Browns have successfully cracked down on fan misconduct inside their stadium this season.

clearly was already posted and has been all but proven to be a huge exaggeration if not flat out lie by the mother.

On a serious note though, does it scare anyone else that one person telling a story that NO ONE has backed up with fact yet could have resulted in free VIP tickets, and ultimately some sort of retribution from the browns. I'm coming up there for the panthers game with my brother who's a panthers fan, I might as well "tackle" him and get some sweet seats to the next Carolina home game. It really is just very interesting how our society works sometimes. Burden of proof isn't necessary.

Either way it is unfortunate. It's a shame and the idiot deserves what's coming to him, but it just sucks all the negative press this is getting.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5816234

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- The New York Jets, disheartened to hear about an 8-year-old Jets fan in Cleveland who was reportedly tackled by a drunken Browns fan after Sunday's game, reached out to the boy's family Wednesday and offered VIP treatment at a Jets home game.

Matt Higgins, the Jets' executive vice president of business operations, contacted the family after reading of its plight at 6 a.m. on Twitter. The Jets offered to fly the family to New Jersey to watch a game in a luxury suite at the New Meadowlands Stadium and receive autographed memorabilia from coach Rex Ryan and players.

The family politely declined, according to the Jets.

Mistakes By The Lake

A Clevelander tackling an 8-year-old Jets fan is the latest stain on LeBron James' old stomping ground, writes Rob Parker. Read the column

"It's terrible, what happened to that little boy," Higgins told ESPNNewYork.com. "As a father myself, I can say it tugs at you. We reached out to them, hoping we could raise their spirits. But, in talking to the family, they'd like to maintain their privacy. They have no plans to take us up on the offer at this time, but it's an open-ended invitation."

The boy went to the game at Cleveland Browns Stadium in a Jets jersey with his father, who was born in New York. Much to the chagrin of the local crowd, the Jets rallied for a 26-20 overtime victory. The boy's mother, identified only as Danielle by ABC affiliate WEWS because she didn't want to reveal her last name, said the fans in the stadium were great, but things got out of control outside after the game.

"Calling him a bad word, to my husband and to my son, throwing food at them," she said, according to WEWS.

When the family reached the parking lot, the situation got uglier.

"As [my husband] was walking, holding my son's hand, a guy from behind tackled him. A drunken Browns fan tackled him and pulled him out of his dad's hand. He was on the ground crying," Danielle said, according to the station.

The boy was left with a scraped and bruised ankle. The mother said her husband didn't call police, opting instead to quickly get in the car and leave. But the mother wrote a letter to The Plain Dealer in Cleveland detailing what happened.

A team spokesman said the Browns contacted the boy's family on Wednesday and offered "anything we can do" after hearing about the "unfortunate" incident.

Browns coach Eric Mangini was dismayed by the matter.

"If it's true, it's ridiculous and the guy should be arrested," Mangini said. "I would be sick if someone tackled my kid. I think it's just wrong on so many levels and I would be angry as a parent, beyond angry. It shouldn't happen anywhere, ever."

The boy's mother had been nervous about her son attending the game, but believed "kids are off-limits. Clevelanders are such great people. I knew that they would never hurt an 8-year-old kid, never."

She apparently was wrong.

"My husband asked him, 'Did you have a good time?' He said, 'Yes.' He said, 'Would you want to go back sometime?' And he said, 'No, I don't like Browns Stadium.' Who could blame him?" the boy's mother said.

The Browns have successfully cracked down on fan misconduct inside their stadium this season.

This story is really getting old. If it's true, it sucks for the city of Cleveland and all Browns fans. I have to wonder about the validity of this for a few reasons. First....why wasn't the dad beating the crap out of this drunken low life?....I don't care what the setting is.....if any responsible parent witnesses anything like what is described here, they would have to react. I don't mean to take the blame from the drunk, and place it on the dad.....it just doesn't add up, to me. Also....why wouldn't you at least report this to a cop, after the incident? There are plenty of cops around after a Browns game. How do we know this isn't a fictitious story....the product of a pissed off Jets fan, who came into our stadium, and started crap. That is a lot easier for me to believe. Both scenarios are possible. I've taken my daughter to games when she was that age, but due to the unpredictable nature of some of these derelicts, I never let anyone get within 6 ft. of her. However, you have to realize.....there is a substantial percentage of people at a game that shouldn't be there. They may have gotten tickets from a relative, boss, or other source, and couldn't care less about the game.....just out to get drunk and raise Hell. That is not an excuse. If this is true, I hope the prick rots in Hell. Personally, I think any normal Browns fan, who witnessed something like this, would defend the kid....no matter what jersey he was wearing....except Pittsburg, of course. ( joke)

This story has already been posted. Please delete.

From Rifferx: "For those who have not heard the drama surrounding the Jets fan’s 8 year old son supposedly getting tackled at the Browns game Sunday, the truth has just come out on Rizzo’s Show.

Big to do about nothing, but Ctown will still take another hit nationally because of some drama laden housewife."

Exactly what I thought. I posted on ESPN New York when their right basically said that this one guy shows how EVERYONE is in Cleveland, and I politely posted that if that is the case then every Jets fan must be a horrible parent. What kind of father lets his son get shit thrown at him without either A: Picking him up to shield him, the kids was only 8 or B: turning around and confronting the people and taking the hit that your child shouldn't have to take. I'm sure if this kid got knocked down by a guy catching a football, the guy apologize to the family right away.

I'm a little concerned that some here quickly accept "the other side of the story" as truth. Why? Why are exceedingly drunk dumbasses who run over kids in parking lots so overflowing with credibility? Because they can dial a phone and call a talk show host?

One of the first third party accounts verified what the dad/mom said, that the guy was Retarded drunk and "tackled" the kid, although not very dramatically and probably trying to be funny.

I get concerned on these "she was asking for it" revisionist history numbers.

Exactly what I thought. I posted on ESPN New York when their right basically said that this one guy shows how EVERYONE is in Cleveland, and I politely posted that if that is the case then every Jets fan must be a horrible parent. What kind of father lets his son get shit thrown at him without either A: Picking him up to shield him, the kids was only 8 or B: turning around and confronting the people and taking the hit that your child shouldn't have to take. I'm sure if this kid got knocked down by a guy catching a football, the guy apologize to the family right away.

I've been to no fewer than 15 Jets' home games and I will tell you that the level of obscenity and violence in the stands is unsurpassed in my experience as a sports fan. While I did not hear the racist slurs that I have heard multiple times in Boston...that's really the only thing that they don't do.

I've never been to an Eagles' game but I have been to baseball games in Philly and the fans there were not nearly as obnoxious.

I'm a little concerned that some here quickly accept "the other side of the story" as truth. Why? Why are exceedingly drunk dumbasses who run over kids in parking lots so overflowing with credibility? Because they can dial a phone and call a talk show host?

One of the first third party accounts verified what the dad/mom said, that the guy was Retarded drunk and "tackled" the kid, although not very dramatically and probably trying to be funny.

I get concerned on these "she was asking for it" revisionist history numbers.

Either way, there are a lot of people in this world that shouldn't drink because of their inability to handle themselves.

Kudos to all the browns fans that put aside all the other crap and stated flat out that an 8 year old didn't deserve this.

Maybe the guy was drunk and just fell on the kid.

- Did the hotdogs just slip out of peoples hands and fly towards them?

- Did the hecklers just have a freuidan slip when they called the kid and his father whatever they called them?

I can understand the explanation I saw earlier where the guy was drunk as there are so many in the parking lots that fit that description however the other items are very believable. None of it excuses what happened to that kid though.

You have to call a spade a spade in issues like this.

Pittsburgh fans, when it comes to cleveland fans, aren't much better as I have a friend that's a browns fan and his wife that got it pretty good in Pittsburgh this year so I'm not saying we're clean in this.

I would never take my kid to a cleveland game because I wouldn't expect that we were going to enjoy a game and possibly be involved in a good rivalry. I would expect no less then 8 situations like what was mentioned in this story and more to come up. A lot of these types of things happened to me when I came up there, some deserved as a friend I was with thouroughly enjoyed our win and his beer, and others not so much as my wife and I were just trying to enjoy the game and root for our team. We're adults and were able to get through it but children just don't deserve any of that junk. Children aren't quite able to handle it as much.

If this kid, or any other, is mouthing off then tackle his dad and tell him to straighten his kid out if it's that unbearable and you just can't control yourself. Better yet tackle whichever Browns player lost the game for you, causing yet another long walk back to your car :)

People are so gay.. bottom line is it was one fan and none of us did this. The difference is if we did know who didn't I'm sure the browns securty wouldn't let him back in the stadium.

Unlike other teams who let a rapist play for them!

Let's move on... who the hell cares

People are so gay.. bottom line is it was one fan and none of us did this. The difference is if we did know who didn't I'm sure the browns securty wouldn't let him back in the stadium.

Unlike other teams who let a rapist play for them!

Let's move on... who the hell cares

Nice attempt at a redirect wrrebel. You won't see me defending Ben but he has nothing to do with this issue.

If it was one fan it probably wouldn't be an issue however I doubt the same fan threw hotdogs, swore at and called the kid names, and then placed himself in their path on the way out of the stadium so that he could fall on him, tackle him, or whatever he did. It was a group of people that caused an overall experience for the kid. That's why it's being made into an issue.

Archived