THE BROWNS BOARD

Moving on to the Jags

DAWGPOUND16

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this will be another tough game. MJD has the potential to light us up on the ground and they've got one of the best TEs in the league. And don't forget about Mike Sims-Walker. The Browns will also have to think about deploying a spy for Girard.

This will be a much more "pedestrian" defense for Colt to look at, but now that there's tape on him, the Jags will be scheming against him. I've always said a QB has four games to look like superman. His fifth and sixth are where he backs up the hype. I think he'll be fine as long as Hillis continues to help him out. This will be the first 4-3 defense Colt has faced in the NFL. Typically it is a lot easier to diagnose pressure from a 4-3.

This is sort of a trap game for the Browns. I'm sure they will be the favorites according to most analysts. I hope losing to the Jets puts a little more fire in their bellies. They're gonna need it.

I agree that the Jags are not the pushover that the media would suggest. I think they're capable of stinker performances but they do have skill on offense. MJD is a tough little SOB. Garrard is NOT a very good QB in that he can be very inaccurate and makes lots of mistakes. As with any QB however, you HAVE to put pressure on him. If you give him all day to throw...someone will get open.

As for Sims-Walker and Lewis, I think our defensive backfield (everyone NOT named "Eric Wright") has been playing well of late.

I would approach this game much like the New England game. You have to control the clock and run the ball. Keep the skill weapons off of the field. Same recipe.

I think it's a welcome "notch below" the recent four defenses we've played. You have to wonder how the team rebounds from a heartbreaker yesterday but something tells me that this bunch is a resilient group of fighters. I also think that the status of the injured players from yesterday will also play a big role. We need Fujita and Sheldon Brown. Did anyone else notice that the long, sustained Jet drives came after they went out of the game? Cribbs? Notice how we had been moving the ball at will in the first half only to struggle in the second? I notice there were other factors such as half-time and the lack of a chance to get any rhythm on offense but I am just trying to illustrate that those guys are going to be key.

Ya the Jags are one of those scary teams.

When they are on, they are nasty.

As a run defender I would think it would be a nightmare to go up agaist a guy like Jones-Drew. He has to be so hard to tackle. He is so small and so strong. First you can't see him behind the line, then if you do see him you gotta figure out how to grab him, hold on to him, and tackle him.

I don't think we have to worry about the Browns sitting on their High Horse thinking they are going to roll past anyone.

I would just like to see COlt pass for more than 5 yards to Hillis. Id like to see more 20 yard passes. DOnt get me wrong, its working what he's doing, but i just want to see more firey passing assaults outta him.

You may get your wish because the Jags are ranked 29th in pass defense. They're an even front which means the blocking assignments should be easier. This is the kind of team that good QBs carve up.

I don't think that's the best way to play them though. They need to keep MJD off the field. They need to play ball control and smashmouth.

I think this will be another tough game. MJD has the potential to light us up on the ground and they've got one of the best TEs in the league. And don't forget about Mike Sims-Walker. The Browns will also have to think about deploying a spy for Girard.

This will be a much more "pedestrian" defense for Colt to look at, but now that there's tape on him, the Jags will be scheming against him. I've always said a QB has four games to look like superman. His fifth and sixth are where he backs up the hype. I think he'll be fine as long as Hillis continues to help him out. This will be the first 4-3 defense Colt has faced in the NFL. Typically it is a lot easier to diagnose pressure from a 4-3.

This is sort of a trap game for the Browns. I'm sure they will be the favorites according to most analysts. I hope losing to the Jets puts a little more fire in their bellies. They're gonna need it.

I don't agree with it taking 4 total games for people to get game film on colt. He has played 4 GOOD games and I think that Patriots were the first team to get some solid playing film on him and I guarantee you that the Jets had more than enough on him and they still couldn't do much.

Hi. Jags fan here.

I have to tell you, most teams have the luxury of going through their schedule at the beginning of the year, and checking off automatic wins. The Jaguars have NEVER had that luxury as long as I have been a fan. We have a knack to compete with the best teams in the NFL through the entire game, and lay an egg against any teams we are supposed to beat.

With that said... now onto my thoughts....

1. I haven't watched much film on you guys, but from what I hear, Hillis is having a pretty good year. We held Foster to 50 something yards yesterday, and he is supposedly one of the top RB's in the league. We contained Chris Johnson to under 100 yards rushing (until he broke off a big on in garbage time when the game was already out of reach). So basically, the Jags are good at stopping the run when they have to.

2. We have absolutely no pass rush. In fact, it is embarrassing. QB's usually have time to make a sandwich behind their offensive lines when playing us, which exposes our already terrible secondary. Aaron Kampman was just starting to make our pass rush respectable, then he tore his ACL in practice last week. Not good. The Jags have been hexed at the DE position since Tony Brackens retired.

3. Our defensive tackles are the highlight of our defense. Terrance Knighton is an absolute beast and is basically unmovable, and frequently demands double teams. Our rookie DT Alualu has shown signs of being potentially great, but still has a lot to learn.

Now onto the offense:

1. David Garrard is Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde. You don't know which guy you are going to get week to week. People in Jacksonville (me included) are usually calling for his head every week, and we all know we will be drafting a franchise QB next year in the draft. Until then, we are stuck with Garrard (or Garbage as I like to call him).

He has played lights out the last two games (Dallas & Houston). These are two TERRIBLE pass D's, so in my eyes, he just did what he was supposed to do.

Garrard's favorite target is TE Marcedes Lewis, who in my opinion is a top 3 TE in the NFL. Mike Thomas is slowly emerging as the Jaguars #1 receiver. He is reliable, and knows how to get open. I have never been a Sims-Walker guy.. Most people around here love him, but he doesn't have the ability to create separation like a #1 should, and has dropped some crucial passes this year.

2. Mojo......well, he is Mojo.....

3. Our 2nd year left tackle Eugene Monroe is really starting to come around, and has been very good in pass blocking, but still lacks run blocking. When you have to go against Freeney and M. Williams twice a year, naturally, you are going to get better... and I believe he is going to be a staple of our O-line for the next decade.

4. Special teams has been pretty decent. Deji Karim is a quick little guy and is capable of taking it to the house every time he touches the ball. Kasim Osgood is a very good STer, and always seems to be the first one down the field. Our punter is also Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. Scobee is coming off two misses yesterday (one BAD one), so I am a little concerned about his confidence entering Sundays game.

As a Jaguars fan, I expect the Jags to stop Hillis, and make Colt beat us with his arm. If we lose because McCoy throws for 300 and 3TD's, then I will leave the stadium not being upset, because with our current personnel, that game plan gives us the best chance to win in my eyes.

Good luck this Sunday, and lets hope for a NO INJURY game... God knows we have had enough of them.

Hi. Jags fan here.

I have to tell you, most teams have the luxury of going through their schedule at the beginning of the year, and checking off automatic wins. The Jaguars have NEVER had that luxury as long as I have been a fan. We have a knack to compete with the best teams in the NFL through the entire game, and lay an egg against any teams we are supposed to beat.

With that said... now onto my thoughts....

1. I haven't watched much film on you guys, but from what I hear, Hillis is having a pretty good year. We held Foster to 50 something yards yesterday, and he is supposedly one of the top RB's in the league. We contained Chris Johnson to under 100 yards rushing (until he broke off a big on in garbage time when the game was already out of reach). So basically, the Jags are good at stopping the run when they have to.

2. We have absolutely no pass rush. In fact, it is embarrassing. QB's usually have time to make a sandwich behind their offensive lines when playing us, which exposes our already terrible secondary. Aaron Kampman was just starting to make our pass rush respectable, then he tore his ACL in practice last week. Not good. The Jags have been hexed at the DE position since Tony Brackens retired.

3. Our defensive tackles are the highlight of our defense. Terrance Knighton is an absolute beast and is basically unmovable, and frequently demands double teams. Our rookie DT Alualu has shown signs of being potentially great, but still has a lot to learn.

Now onto the offense:

1. David Garrard is Dr. Jeykll and Mr. Hyde. You don't know which guy you are going to get week to week. People in Jacksonville (me included) are usually calling for his head every week, and we all know we will be drafting a franchise QB next year in the draft. Until then, we are stuck with Garrard (or Garbage as I like to call him).

He has played lights out the last two games (Dallas & Houston). These are two TERRIBLE pass D's, so in my eyes, he just did what he was supposed to do.

Garrard's favorite target is TE Marcedes Lewis, who in my opinion is a top 3 TE in the NFL. Mike Thomas is slowly emerging as the Jaguars #1 receiver. He is reliable, and knows how to get open. I have never been a Sims-Walker guy.. Most people around here love him, but he doesn't have the ability to create separation like a #1 should, and has dropped some crucial passes this year.

2. Mojo......well, he is Mojo.....

3. Our 2nd year left tackle Eugene Monroe is really starting to come around, and has been very good in pass blocking, but still lacks run blocking. When you have to go against Freeney and M. Williams twice a year, naturally, you are going to get better... and I believe he is going to be a staple of our O-line for the next decade.

4. Special teams has been pretty decent. Deji Karim is a quick little guy and is capable of taking it to the house every time he touches the ball. Kasim Osgood is a very good STer, and always seems to be the first one down the field. Our punter is also Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde. Scobee is coming off two misses yesterday (one BAD one), so I am a little concerned about his confidence entering Sundays game.

As a Jaguars fan, I expect the Jags to stop Hillis, and make Colt beat us with his arm. If we lose because McCoy throws for 300 and 3TD's, then I will leave the stadium not being upset, because with our current personnel, that game plan gives us the best chance to win in my eyes.

Good luck this Sunday, and lets hope for a NO INJURY game... God knows we have had enough of them.

Hillis' 3 100 yard rushing games came against good run defenses and two of those games broke streaks of games without 100 yard rushers for the teams we played.

There fan base is the worse in the NFL, and I will be at the game, so 50% of people there will be Browns fans....

This is an outdated perception. Number of Jaguar home games this season = 5. Number of black-outs this season = 0. The only real potential black-out based on game ticket sales = Cleveland Browns (not much in the way of a natural rivalry). Early season nonsense: Natonal sports media projected more Broncos fans than Jaguar fans would attend the Jag season opener. Ask the Denver fans who attended - very little orange and blue in the stadium (most of which was Florida Gator attire) and a sea of teal.

One must realize that the Jaguars are a relatively new team and in a relativley small market. It take times to grow a fan base that is willing to take bad seasons along with the good. That now appears to be happening here in Jacksonville. Only a relatively few premium seats (club and sky box) have gone unsold (not unusual in the NFL, especially this year) during the first five home games. I suspect the game will not be blacked-out.

Enjoy your stay for the game, but if you are expecting to have a 50% Browns' representation and a dog pound, I believe you will be disappointed. If the Jags show up to play, this will be a close game.

Let's hope for a good game with no major injuries to either team.

This is an outdated perception. Number of Jaguar home games this season = 5. Number of black-outs this season = 0. The only real potential black-out based on game ticket sales = Cleveland Browns (not much in the way of a natural rivalry). Early season nonsense: Natonal sports media projected more Broncos fans than Jaguar fans would attend the Jag season opener. Ask the Denver fans who attended - very little orange and blue in the stadium (most of which was Florida Gator attire) and a sea of teal.

One must realize that the Jaguars are a relatively new team and in a relativley small market. It take times to grow a fan base that is willing to take bad seasons along with the good. That now appears to be happening here in Jacksonville. Only a relatively few premium seats (club and sky box) have gone unsold (not unusual in the NFL, especially this year) during the first five home games. I suspect the game will not be blacked-out.

Enjoy your stay for the game, but if you are expecting to have a 50% Browns' representation and a dog pound, I believe you will be disappointed. If the Jags show up to play, this will be a close game.

Let's hope for a good game with no major injuries to either team.

Both teams coming off crazy OT victories and defeats. Both will be ready to roll heads. This should be a good one.

I miss having Jacksonville in the division...

You have made the same mistake the Patriots, Ravens, and Jets fans have made. Those are the top 3 rush defenses in the league. And Hillis rushed a total of 415 yards against them.

You aren't stopping Hillis. Face this as a certainty. End of discussion.

I like your other points though. I have watched Knighton. He is a stud. Whats his nickname again?

browns have a pretty good record vs the jaguars in recent years. I believe they will continue the trend.

1999- Browns 14, Jacksonville 24 (divisional) LOSS

1999- Browns 07, Jacksonville 24 (divisional) LOSS

2000- Browns 00, Jacksonville 48 (divisional) LOSS

2000- Browns 07, Jacksonville 27 (divisional) LOSS

2001- Browns 23, Jacksonville 14 (divisional) WIN

2001- Browns 10, Jacksonville 15 (divisional/bottlegate) LOSS

2002- Browns 21, Jacksonville 20 WIN

2005- Browns 14, Jacksonville 20 LOSS

2008- Browns 23, Jacksonville 17 WIN

2009- Browns 23, Jacksonville 17 WIN

So yes...recent years I suppose. Overall, not so much.

You have made the same mistake the Patriots, Ravens, and Jets fans have made. Those are the top 3 rush defenses in the league. And Hillis rushed a total of 415 yards against them.

I like your other points though. I have watched Knighton. He is a stud. Whats his nickname again?

Pot Roast

Uh you can't say Jag won't stop hillis. And Jags have nothing in common with those other teams that he ran all over. Our run defense isn't ranked that high, so you can't make that comparison there. And we actually have results against top RB in the league. After getting stomped by thomas jones and jamaal charles we definitely improved there. We may or may not be able to stop hillis, but there are no absolutes week to week. We have a good chance of stopping him just as he equally has a good chance to bulldoze us all game. Also Kirk Morrison is a beast too. I'm a Jags fan in case you didn't know.

I'm a Jags fan in case you didn't know.

No clue I thought you were a Colts fan.

I get what you are saying but the teams I mentioned above also faced just as hard, if not harder, running backs and contained them just as well as you did. Only the Steelers were able to stop Hillis this year. So if you indeed do stop him, you are in rare company.

I love when other fans come here and say, well our defense can play the run pretty well and think they can stop Hillis...

I know this much all the other runningbacks in the league are not 250lbs and runs like Hillis, you will not stop him sorry....Then again we might not stop Jones-Drew

As for you selling out every game, what I think is funny is your fan base is so bad that they cover most of the top part of your statuim with tarp...The only time you have a sellout is when the Florida-Georgia game is played there....Please dont try to Bul$shi# me about the Jags fan base, I live in Florida and see all the time. Now I will say Jags fans are pretty cool not a bunch a pricks.....

Jags are no joke, but Browns win

24-14

I love when other fans come here and say, well our defense can play the run pretty well and think they can stop Hillis...

I know this much all the other runningbacks in the league are not 250lbs and runs like Hillis, you will not stop him sorry....Then again we might not stop Jones-Drew

As for you selling out every game, what I think is funny is your fan base is so bad that they cover most of the top part of your statuim with tarp...The only time you have a sellout is when the Florida-Georgia game is played there....Please dont try to Bul$shi# me about the Jags fan base, I live in Florida and see all the time. Now I will say Jags fans are pretty cool not a bunch a pricks.....

Jags are no joke, but Browns win

24-14

First of all, the Jags stadium still holds 67,164 WITH the tarps on. That is more than 11 other stadiums in the NFL, including teams as popular as the Steelers, Colts, and Bears.

The stadium was remodeled in order to host the Jaguars as well as the annual Florida/Georgia game, and ACC Championship game (when it was here).

Jacksonville has about 1.3 million people, and a stadium that holds 85,000 people was not a feasible option for us, or any city with that ratio.

Bottom line...you guys are 3-6, so I wouldn't be too cocky about going on the road and getting a victory. We play against self proclaimed "Best RB's in the NFL" every week. This week will be no different.

Both of our teams will not make the playoffs, so just enjoy the game, and be original for once, and not make unnecessary tarp jokes when it really isn't necessary.

First of all, the Jags stadium still holds 67,164 WITH the tarps on. That is more than 11 other stadiums in the NFL, including teams as popular as the Steelers, Colts, and Bears.

The stadium was remodeled in order to host the Jaguars as well as the annual Florida/Georgia game, and ACC Championship game (when it was here).

Jacksonville has about 1.3 million people, and a stadium that holds 85,000 people was not a feasible option for us, or any city with that ratio.

Bottom line...you guys are 3-6, so I wouldn't be too cocky about going on the road and getting a victory. We play against self proclaimed "Best RB's in the NFL" every week. This week will be no different.

Both of our teams will not make the playoffs, so just enjoy the game, and be original for once, and not make unnecessary tarp jokes when it really isn't necessary.

Just don't tell us you are stopping Hillis. Because you aren't. Otherwise I agree with you completely.

I don't agree with it taking 4 total games for people to get game film on colt. He has played 4 GOOD games and I think that Patriots were the first team to get some solid playing film on him and I guarantee you that the Jets had more than enough on him and they still couldn't do much.

I agree he has played well in all 4 games. My point is that there is simply not enough film on him for teams to scheme specifically for him, especially when the Browns have leaned so heavily on the run. Also, no one had really seen him in a 2 minute offense. Schemes are devoloped based on situational tendencies which have now been shown. Now is when I start looking to see how he adjusts to defenses taking away his comfort zones.

All that said, I'm really impressed with what he's done against who he's done it against with the limited weapons he's had. I'm really excited about him proving he was the right choice for this team.

I think its gonna be a close game, i live here in florida and there the only team i actually care for that plays down here i hope they can start winning games and get the right people there to turn it around the fans are great as well as the city i lived there for a lil while but i still do like the browns by 24-17

LOL- your funny never got cocky once, whats Cocky?? me saying that your not going to stop Hillis....Well your not nobody really has, and your defense is not as good as other we have played in the past. So me being a Browns fan on a Browns website saying your not going to stop the Browns best player is cocky well I guess I am then

Yes we are 3-6, yep we are 9 games

Tampa is 6-3

Kansas City 5-4

Cincy 2-7

Altanta 7-2

NY 7-2

New England 7-2

New Orleans, Pissburg, Balt all 6-3

So tell me how would the Jags do with that ???? We are 3-6 and we are who we are

See I do not hate on the Jags, I like the Jags I have gone to plenty of there games, shitty Statuim Sorry it really is, but I like them, I just think being a Browns fan again on a Browns website the Browns take down the Jags, I know its Crazy thinking that a Browns fan thinks his team is going to win.....

and Sorry been to plenty of NFL games all over and the Jags have really nice fans, even when they lose there happy go lucky, but thats the area, they marry there sisters in Jax, sorry true there all the time, and your crime rate holy Sh#$!!!! Hire some Police please!!!!!

sorry anyways

Browns win 24-14...Jags hold Hillis to 115 and 2 tds......

Colt will do fine against the Jags.

Jags are a good team, but if we play like we have been should be no problem. There fan base is the worse in the NFL, and I will be at the game, so 50% of people there will be Browns fans....

Browns-27

Jags-17

The Jags are hard to figure out. They play tough or get pushed over. Colt showed he can go down the field quickly (like the tieing score on the Jets). If we play with the same fire that we have in these last 3 games are chances are good the Jigwires go down.

Archived