THE BROWNS BOARD

History of Cleveland MLB's

Solon16

I'm only 40....so my history is shorter than some....to me MLB is the Identity of a defense and one of THE most important position on both sides of the ball. Please name me a better than average MLB we've had in Cleveland? No STUDs EVER!?! No superbowl appearences....i don't think it is a coincidence.....please give me a list. Curious that the last two decent/good MLB's were earl holmes and mike Johnson.....=......the last time we made the playoffs. Sad that Earl Holmes from Pittsburgh is the last decent MLB we've had! :unsure:

Gettin on a plane soon...have a warm holiday season and be safe!

I'm only 40....so my history is shorter than some....to me MLB is the Identity of a defense and one of THE most important position on both sides of the ball. Please name me a better than average MLB we've had in Cleveland? No STUDs EVER!?! No superbowl appearences....i don't think it is a coincidence.....please give me a list. Curious that the last two decent/good MLB's were earl holmes and mike Johnson.....=......the last time we made the playoffs. Sad that Earl Holmes from Pittsburgh is the last decent MLB we've had! :unsure:

Gettin on a plane soon...have a warm holiday season and be safe!

Mike Johnson STARTED in 2 Pro Bowls back when I liked the Pro Bowl criteria better.

TWO things that recruited my affection to this franchise were RUNNING game (starting with Greg Pruitt successfully replacing Leroy Kelly) and LBers.

I always felt Dick Ambrose or Bam Bam as he was called by his peers was very underrated. Eddie Johnson, while not terrific, made himself a fan favorite for his high intensity and endless hustle. Then of course came Mike Johnson who quietly started in 2 Pro Bowls at a body weight of 225 pounds. I LOVED that kid for WHERE he ended plays so consistently. Ideal first step instincts that made him a gem and a team leader by example. He wasn't just GOOD he was great. We're dying for D'Qwell to be remotely similar but he's got a long way to go in the coinsistency dept. Nashville was a good sign but that's one of his first 48 games. I'd like to see him making more solo tackles ending plays closer to the line of scrimmage than I have. If I was more homer than painfully honest - I'd say I'm happy with him now.

Someone else mentioned Pepper Johnson and he brought a nice approach to kill the guy with the ball. I LOVED Clay Matthews on the outside for his consistent play for much more than a decade. He's played both outside and ILBer for us whether people know this or not. That's that versatility thing we speak of. We've had some fun OLBers. Chip Banks made All Pro before he took his permament marijuana sebatical from the NFL. I can't remember whether Stonewall Jackson played inside or outside but he was good for a short period. Other FUN Lbers we've had were Gerald Irons, Carl Banks and Jamir Miller. LBer as a whole hasn't been an area of shame in our history. If anything, it's why I'm holding the current LBers to higher standards than maybe some other people might find acceptable.

My favorite leadership story of all time was when we went into halftime losing to a Colts team we should have been beating. I got the media edited version of what Mike Johnson told his teammates but in the second half he SPOKE with his pads to show he wasn't just whistling Dixie. He was walking the walk which backed the talk. I MISS that while I got people telling me I just don't understand D'Qwell. Anyway, the team followed MJ's lead so we could TAKE the lead and keep it. We won that game with a backup QB and we had the LEADERSHIP that would not allow teammates to rollover and play dead under adversity. That was a lifetime ago where we now refuse to hold any of our millionaires accountable for leadership roles. They'll only give us what we continue to accept. They're certainly not going to go overboard the way they did vrs the Giants any more than they have to because you know? They're still getting paid top entertainment dollar.

- Tom F. (I understand D'Qwell - I'd just rather have someone striking fear into the opponents instead of approving over indulgence in ankle grabbing. ILBers shouldn't grab they should HIT people. People that grew up playing football on Madden videos instead of outside on sandlots think that's jibberish so it's old school vrs new school)

Archived