THE BROWNS BOARD

STAYING ON TOPIC

WPB Dawg Fan

STAYING ON TOPIC  

39 members have voted

1. 1. What should be done with people unable to stay on topic?

• Ban them...they are an unneeded disruption
    • Delete their posts...keep the threads clean
    • Nothing...it is an OPEN FORUM

I don't know about everyone else but I am sick and tired of threads being hi-jacked by self serving, single minded individuals.

I, for once, would like to be able to start a topic that includes the mention of a QB or WR without the thread turning into a dissertation on somebodies private crusade.

Delete the posts. Isn't that the purpose of mods?

I don't want to overstep and be a "post czar" or something. Just want to make sure everyone can enjoy this board. I already went out and did the OPPOSING TEAM thread...which so far seems to have had the desired effect...but when it comes to Browns Fans...I hate telling them what they can and cannot say...so I am basically asking everyone what they want to see happen.

Guest Masters
I don't want to overstep and be a "post czar" or something. Just want to make sure everyone can enjoy this board. I already went out and did the OPPOSING TEAM thread...which so far seems to have had the desired effect...but when it comes to Browns Fans...I hate telling them what they can and cannot say...so I am basically asking everyone what they want to see happen.

Who we are talking about isn't a Browns fan. So you wouldn't be telling them what they can and cannot say :)

Nothing - it IS an open forum and desrves that freedom. Completely understand where you got this from and why you want to do. I don't care at all for guys with their own agenda either and straying off subject at times is annoying, but at times it also opens up more conversation and opinions which do lead back to the subject.

If there are those, specifically the type you are annoyed with, I recommend a limited number of warnings before they are banned. If guys want to do little other than disrupt the line of conversation, warn them. If they have a lead in toward another train of thought that feeds toward the subject, that's fine and good.

Many also seem to enjoy feeding off those that stir that kiddy anyway. All that need be done is IGNORE the BS and stay on subject. Too many want to continue the disruption with more insults, etc. and THAT is what hurts the thread.

Not a popular position I know, but it IS an open forum.

WPB thanks for asking.

P.S. DA will be gone soon anyway.

I don't want to overstep and be a "post czar" or something.

You DON'T want to do that? Coulda fooled us. You've deleted more posts since you got the gig than all other mods combined.

WPB maybe you should start a "BQ is GOD" board and you can have your little circle jerks in there.

Guest Masters
You DON'T want to do that? Coulda fooled us. You've deleted more posts since you got the gig than all other mods combined.

WPB maybe you should start a "BQ is GOD" board and you can have your little circle jerks in there.

Wrong as usual. WPD rarely deletes. I am sure Riffer has deleted far more of your off topic DA ball licking posts than WPD ever has.

Guest 88fingerslewy

Yep, I'd bet money Lumburgh's a local guy.

Again, think of someone who loves DA.

Hates BQ.

But would enjoy anonymity while blasting anyone who disagrees with him.

Watch the writing styles. Fiery temper.

Words used. (BQ fag, dink-dunk offense, etc)

Was this your attempt at proving his point? Great job.

By the way, the BQ/DA debate is over. BQ is god now. He is our QB, and he doesnt have any competition for the job. Browns fans are on board. You can go away now.

John, I trust you to use your best judgment. If you think a thread is really getting ruined, you can step in. Maybe a good way to do it would be to leave a sticky where people could complain about deletions. If their complaints seem reasonable, or enough people complain, then back off a bit.

Guest Masters
Vistors to this board must think the fans are as screwed up as the team.

I don't think so. If you go to some other teams sites and browse, you'll see we aren't much different.

Well sometimes the threads go off topic as a general course of the conversations.

I agree...and that is not exactly what I was referring to....

I am more referring to deliberate hi-jacking of threads. Where no matter the conversation...a specific topic or rant comes up by the same individual.

It may be "DA is God and you are all BQ fags"

or it may be "Sewage and Krispy Kreme suck"

or any number of oft repeated rants by a specific few

the key is....these come up when those individuals are NOT the topic.

I don't care about topics migrating...that happens naturally. It is also a good and natural progression on message boards.

I agree...and that is not exactly what I was referring to....

I am more referring to deliberate hi-jacking of threads. Where no matter the conversation...a specific topic or rant comes up by the same individual.

It may be "DA is God and you are all BQ fags"

or it may be "Sewage and Krispy Kreme suck"

or any number of oft repeated rants by a specific few

the key is....these come up when those individuals are NOT the topic.

I don't care about topics migrating...that happens naturally. It is also a good and natural progression on message boards.

OK, thanks for the clarification. I say repeat offenders should be banned after a few warnings if that's all they ever do.

Why do you guys put up with this shit? He adds nothing to the board, whatsoever, except insults.

Just ban this little troll and be rid of him. I participate in a lot of boards (non-football) that are all good boards. The mods ban people there when they are disruptive and continue to do so. That's all Lumbergh does anymore.

I think that the problem is that almost all topics can turn into conversations about the QB, WR, OL, RB, Coaching and front office.

I have seen threads about the defense turn into threads about the offense (IE they don't stay on field) which then turn into threads about qbing and coaching.

It is natural to happen, and I will say that although Lum is guilty of this he is by no means the only one. I have done it myself but then tried to tie it into the topic at hand. When Lum pops up is anytime that DA is mentioned. He is not the one that always brings up DA, but he does ALWAYS jump in to defend him.

Many people hijack threads and turn them into what they think the problem is. That is natural. I guess what I would do is to create a new thread and place all WR talk into it, all QB talk into its own thread and so on. Then replace the thread that is off topic with a link to where you moved it too.

Eventually people will just post in the proper area. This is not to say subjects do not deserve thier own thread. I am only talking about when a topic starts to go sideways then you move it to a specific area.

On a side note you should move anything that is political to the political forum. I know people like to force views on others because they have experiance but a football forum is not the place to do it. It only makes people with opposing views want to lash back. There were recent posts about Michael Moore and I wanted to respond but this is not the place to do it. It would have blown up into something that this forum is not. Move things that have these kinds of refrences out of this forum or at least delete the part that has them in it.

We all have ignore buttons, so banning shouldn't be an issue.

HOWEVER, if a mods repeatedly warns people over the same thing, then banning is understandable.

Exactly! If someone is out to ruin the board - yank em. Like Tupa says, WPB/John alot of us have complete trust in you. You seem like you're very fair and you put alot of time into this board. Just do it.

Tobalaz sums it up great. To piggyback on that. Doctors often warn people if something revs up their blood pressure - AVOID it. Is it REALLY that hard to skip the topics or people that rev up blood pressures? Come on folks we can do this can't we?

- Tom F.

Lums got his shit swatted when he started bashing Ctown fans.

Same with the little bitch Obes.

It's basically the off season, so more will be let go on the board. Nobody needs Pittsfook fan in here messing with every thread after a loss to them, and the same goes for Lumquat and his Derek Bear Posse. When they have nothing constructive to say whatsoever and are obviously just trying to goad the real fans, their shit gets swatted like Mark Eaton in his heyday.

I said delete posts...with some explanation as to why it was deleted...

I am not big on banning people...at least until it is clear they are just being obstinate and clearly disregarding the rules.

A bit more moderation around here wouldn't hurt anything.

It doesn't have to be like some boards where if you fart while posting they get in a huff, but it makes it unenjoyable if the mods take the attitude "anything goes"

JMO

Guest ATENEARS

I've spent a few too many ten's of minutes trying to say the right things in this thread, after avoiding posting in this thread all afternoon. I'll refrain from saying much as to not piss off the Mod's that do the heavy lifting here.

I've never had a problem with Lums, but have been embarrassed for the forum of the retaliation.

It's baseball season here for me. Which means from here until August, I am on a part-time basis here on this forum. Dan has picked up my slack in the past and I trust in WPBDawg & Riffer to do so this off-season. I appreciate the hell out of all of these guys (and gals in KSHutchins case). It's their forum and I trust in them to grow it.

Ok, so I'll take one shot; If you get a rise in blood pressure over Lum's you just might be a whiner. Lum's is not the problem, the dozen or so groupies he has that have to retaliate his every word is the problem. If you have a slight pressure of under garmet material balled up in your crotch .... you just might be a school girl.

John & Russ, good luck this off-season. This fan base is really down and it is going to take some careful handling of things to keep interest here this winter. I'm banking on Alo's draft reports and bowl prospect scouting to be a rallying point, and the draft will be of interest. It's 1998 all over again, although without the collective hope.

Mods, take us to the promise land.

Lums got his shit swatted when he started bashing Ctown fans.

Same with the little bitch Obes.

It's basically the off season, so more will be let go on the board. Nobody needs Pittsfook fan in here messing with every thread after a loss to them, and the same goes for Lumquat and his Derek Bear Posse. When they have nothing constructive to say whatsoever and are obviously just trying to goad the real fans, their shit gets swatted like Mark Eaton in his heyday.

I don't have a problem with you guys tossing NON-Browns fans that are here to destroy the board or act like Beaver Nation idiots because Dumb Ass went from Cinderella to Kyle Boller after midnight. If I read a 5th consecutive "BQ Fag" reply from Lums - shame on me in the first place for expecting anything better.

For a while I found him funny especially when we averaged 30 points an outing in the first 2 games DA was extremely replaceable in.

The BIGGEST thing in all this is that I think you and WPB Dawg have the good of the board in mind. I think you'll both LIKE to continue to see people bringing football worthy debates instead of the boring "amen" replies to everything positive. Some of us NEED to vent about this team while others need to think everythignis fine. It would be boring if we were like OTHER boards that only want amen and 2 thumbs up replies to every positive opinion offered. The diversity of character is what I find attactive about this board.

- Tom F.

After reviewing all of the answers...and the poll results...it seems pretty even between OPEN FORUM and DELETE POSTS (banning is in my opinion pretty much a last result that should only be done if somebody contributes nothing but snarky comments about fellow posters).

So...I will continue to do what I had been doing...in an attempt to keep forums free flowing.

Posts will only be deleted if there seems to be a DELIBERATE ATTEMPT to turn a thread from the main purpose to that individuals one personal agenda.

We have already addressed the opposing team posters in a pinned note...and things have seemed to settle down a little on that front.

In response to Ate's comment about Lummy....I agree to a certain extent. Lum does get some peoples goats and they then continue the conversation beyond the point of necessity. However, I also believe that Lummy goes out of his way to instigate this on threads not directly relating to DA. If a thread bashes DA...he has every right to defend....just as I did time and again for K2 a couple of years ago. If a thread is directly addressing BQ, he has every right to bash him. The posts I believe Lummy needs to avoid are ones that HE brings that into a thread for no apparent reason (ok lummy?). For example....if we are discussing DA's trade value....instead of just snarking...say that you think BQ would get more and that a new regime might keep DA....not just BQ sucks!

Anyway....I love this board. You all have great input (yes, ALL), and I don't want to do anything that will keep this from a free flowing banter about the Browns!

After reviewing all of the answers...and the poll results...it seems pretty even between OPEN FORUM and DELETE POSTS (banning is in my opinion pretty much a last result that should only be done if somebody contributes nothing but snarky comments about fellow posters).

So...I will continue to do what I had been doing...in an attempt to keep forums free flowing.

Posts will only be deleted if there seems to be a DELIBERATE ATTEMPT to turn a thread from the main purpose to that individuals one personal agenda.

We have already addressed the opposing team posters in a pinned note...and things have seemed to settle down a little on that front.

In response to Ate's comment about Lummy....I agree to a certain extent. Lum does get some peoples goats and they then continue the conversation beyond the point of necessity. However, I also believe that Lummy goes out of his way to instigate this on threads not directly relating to DA. If a thread bashes DA...he has every right to defend....just as I did time and again for K2 a couple of years ago. If a thread is directly addressing BQ, he has every right to bash him. The posts I believe Lummy needs to avoid are ones that HE brings that into a thread for no apparent reason (ok lummy?). For example....if we are discussing DA's trade value....instead of just snarking...say that you think BQ would get more and that a new regime might keep DA....not just BQ sucks!

Anyway....I love this board. You all have great input (yes, ALL), and I don't want to do anything that will keep this from a free flowing banter about the Browns!

John, Merry Christmas to you and yours, you've done a helluva job on here and sometimes don't get the deserved appreciation.

I can always count on you to spin things in a positive aspect.

Archived