THE BROWNS BOARD

Hubbard Called Up

WPB Dawg Fan

The Browns called WR Hubbard up to the team...and signed a TE to fill spots vacated by Bell/Heiden:

Browns fill roster to replace injured Heiden, Bell

advertisement

CantonRep.com staff report

Posted Dec 17, 2008 @ 11:12 AM

BEREA —

The Cleveland Browns signed free-agent tight end John Madsen and called up wide receiver Paul Hubbard from the practice squad to replace tight end Steve Heiden and linebacker Beau Bell, both of whom went on the disabled list.

The club also signed linebacker David Holloway to the practice squad.

Madsen (6-5, 240) played four games earlier this year with the Oakland Raiders. A three-year veteran, he has played in 35 NFL games, including five starts, with the Raiders and has 19 receptions for 248 yards and two touchdowns.

Hubbard (6-2, 225) was the Browns’ sixth round draft choice in April. He has spent the entire season on the club’s practice squad.

Holloway (6-2, 234) went to training camp with the Arizona Cardinals and Washington Redskins before being waived prior to the start of the regular season. Holloway spent the 2007 season on the Arizona Cardinals practice squad.

Doubt either see any playing time...but hey, at least Hubbard is up on the squad now.

My day up in Berea last summer told me one thing about Hubbard: he had the worst hands there. No question.

Flipside is, he's a giant target and was able to get his body in a position to make plays on the ball even with a DB draped over him. The problem remained, however, of actually catching the ball. He couldn't do it. Seriously. He caught 1 of probably a half dozen passes thrown his way, many of which hit him in really awkward spots like.... his hands.

My day up in Berea last summer told me one thing about Hubbard: he had the worst hands there. No question.

Flipside is, he's a giant target and was able to get his body in a position to make plays on the ball even with a DB draped over him. The problem remained, however, of actually catching the ball. He couldn't do it. Seriously. He caught 1 of probably a half dozen passes thrown his way, many of which hit him in really awkward spots like.... his hands.

maybe he has improved ... what can go wrong with trying him ?

Archived