THE BROWNS BOARD

Head-to-Head Hits & New Rule Discussion

ATENEARS

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Per Adam Schefter Twitter: Reported on NFL Live - James Harrison fined $75,000 and as repeat offender.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

The 75 grand fine was a nice jester but it's still pocket change to these mega buck players. The best fine will be supension. When they are not out there playing their whole team goes down one way or another. So send the fine money to charity and send their azz home.

Here is two more still frames:

Massaquoi's head is down because he's looking at the ball which was below his waist. Harrison's isn't "WRAPPING-UP" he is spearing and everyone breathing soul outside Pittsburgh knows that the NFL installed this rule this season and is making a big deal about hitting a defenseless QB or WR.

james-harrison.jpg

Sure Harrison may have started out low, but that was only so he could get a better trust upward at Monass' head. With arms flailing upward with a forearm shiver. that was uncalled for, when he could have easily wrapped up and tackled the ball. He is hardly trying to dislodge the ball, he is trying to injury.

x20101020steelers_500.jpg

67354_1464450887529_1121215240_31177159_

Harrison had a choice. He could-of/should-of went through the ball, which would have been a downward hit (orange arrow). Instead he chose to throw a forearm shiver upward in the direction of Massaquoi's head (gold arrow). He deserved to be fined. I played defensive back and I've layed my hat on plenty of balls, it was just as much of a craft as taking someones head off. Either Harrison, Ward and others learn the difference or retire from this great game.

67354_1464450887529_1121215240_31177159_7523049_n.jpg

Harrison had a choice. He could-of/should-of went through the ball, which would have been a downward hit (orange arrow). Instead he chose to throw a forearm shiver upward in the direction of Massaquoi's head (gold arrow). He deserved to be fined. I played defensive back and I've layed my hat on plenty of balls, it was just as much of a craft as taking someones head off. Either Harrison, Ward and others learn the difference or retire from this great game.

BS - now I know you never played a down - he would have to be playing on his knees. Bad argument. You only wish you had this guy on your team.

All of those opposed to the fine of 75k, I have a question for you.

Can Harrison make an open field tackle?

I dont think he knows how to tackle and his playing days are going to be numbered unless he changes his technique.

We just might start seeing a better game acrossed the board with this firm stand on cheapshots from the league.

This is supposed to be a sport of professional athletes, and some of these goones have made bank on just being strong and not for being good football players.

So you can continue bitchin and whining, but in the end we will see better played defenses acrossed the board.

Moronic post. Harrison makes a ton of nice solid open field tackles in the running game, go ask Chris Johnson. Anyone who has ever played defense has been coached to try and separate a receiver from the ball. You don't do that with a wrap up tackle, you do it with a hit. The fact of the matter remains, if Massengil doesnt bobble the ball and duck to grab it, Harrison hits him square in the chest and nobody says a word about it. Football is a collision sport, and if you fools dont like it watch golf on Sundays.

And if you haven't noticed, the NFL is now profitting from this hit by selling pictures of it in their store. You can buy a framed 8x10 for your collection for only $159.99

national-football-league-2010-season-week-6-james-harrison-mohamed-massaquoi-nfl-1011-wk6-00264lg.jpg

I got two!

BS - now I know you never played a down - he would have to be playing on his knees. Bad argument. You only wish you had this guy on your team.

It is pretty obvious that you never played football. We were taught to aim for the belly-button because the trunk doesn't move and it zero's in on man. When you are trying to dislodge the ball, you put your shoulder or helmet on the ball. Harrison did none of this, he weided his arms upward at the head. He sucks at tackling.

I know I may get a lot of flack for this comment but, IT'S FOOTBALL!

Big hits are part of the game. Players play the game knowing that big hits and the possibility of injury (including death) can occur as a consequence to violence/speed of the game. They sign the waivers and they are paid highly for the risks they take.

Harrison got his fine, yes he should have been flagged too, but that is the Referee's fault.

All this crying and whining doesn't help, it's extremely difficult to judge intent. This why there are rules. Blame the officials too. If the Refs do their job, the habitual offenders will not be playing in the league.

These hits are not the fault of the QB.

McCoy's throws are perfect if it's man - but will generate the results we experienced if thrown into a zone. However, the same throws happen every Sunday - by every quarterback who's not Manning, Brees, or some other Pro Bowl starter.

ESPN had a panel discussion yesterday that included Dilfer and Young, 2 QB's who have won the Super Bowl. Interestingly, both agreed that the complexity of man/zone combination defenses is a big factor in this.. neither of them faced these types of defenses, and both actually said that they wouldn't want to play against the modern defenses. Hiding coverage will generate these results.

Bottom line: Broad simplistic generalizations ( "It's just football!" ) simply do not apply. Yes, Mass is paid to take these risks.. but that in no way makes these hits appropriate. I think these hits are roughly comparable to the DL head-slap of the OL helmet when executing a pass rush.

To be perfectly clear: Intent DOES NOT MATTER. I doubt Harrison intended to do anything evil, just like I doubt Robinson intended to concuss Jackson. I doubt Rothlisberger intended to be a rapist. However, people are judged based on their actions.

WHAAAAHHH!!!! You mean I ain't allowed to do this anymore? Man I QUIT!!!!! Don't worry, Mr Harrison, UFC wants to hear from you.

At least the Refs threw a flag on that one. :)

whbja8.jpg

I still don't understand why that POS thug wasn't ejected for the crap that he pulled with that Arizona WR!

Now it's Mr. Harrison's turn to cry....

James Harrison contemplates retirement

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...tes-retirement/

Posted by Mike Florio on October 20, 2010 9:47 AM ET

Well, well, well. It appears that there's another drama queen in Pittsburgh.

Not long after quarterback Ben Roethlisberger suggested that he considered quitting the game after his offseason conduct resulted in a four-game suspension for violation of the Personal Conduct Policy, linebacker James Harrison supposedly is thinking about calling it quits in the wake of a $75,000 fine imposed for delivering an illegal helmet-to-helmet hit against Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi.

"I'm going to sit down and have a serious conversation with my coach [Wednesday] and see if I can actually play by NFL rules and still be effective," Harrison told Tony Bruno of FOX Sports Radio. "If not, I may have to give up playing football. . . . I really truly hope it's something that can be done. But the way that things were being explained to me [Tuesday] and the reasoning for it, I don't feel I can continue to play and be effective and, like I say, not have to worry about injuring someone else or risking injury to myself."

Fine, James. If you don't think you have the skills to adjust and adapt to playing football within the rules, then you should quit.

As we'll be explaining in a special, in-depth 10-pack on the issue (if I ever finish the thing), the rules haven't changed -- and the rules prohibit precisely what Harrison did. So if he can't play NFL football within the NFL's rules, maybe he should look for work in another field.

After, of course, he pays back the prorated portion of the signing bonus he received in April 2009, when he inked a new deal with $20 million guaranteed.

Our take? He's not thinking about retiring. He's just looking to muster sympathy for his position, and he's trying to make himself into the victim. That's why the NFL should call his bluff.

For the last 17 years, the Steelers have been able to plug in effective replacements when a linebacker leaves. Though it usually happens via free agency, the Steelers won't miss a beat if Harrison decides to take his bat and ball (and his helmet-to-helmet hits) and go home.

Steeler troll translation:

"It's boxing ! If I can't bite someone's ear off, then what am I supposed to do? Lose because I'm an idiot and can't box intelligently?"

Harrison's fine was justified. And it's fair for the NFL to warn of suspensions for helmet killer hits.

I also think an immediate expulsion from the game should be required for any flagrant helmet spearing, and I don't care

what team that player plays on.

BTW, the "referees" who didn't even throw the flag on a 75,000 dollar fined player? something has to be done about that.

OK, sure, if Harrison's hit had happened 2 weeks ago he probably would have only got a 15-20K fine.

But, the NFL was out to make an example, so he and the other 2 just had bad timing.

As I see it the basis of any appeal they make is just that: that similar hits earlier in the year only resulted in those lower fine amounts, so why should we be made to suffer because of some media histeria?

Fair point I guess. And it may get some of those fines reduced.....for now. But, in the future with this 2X4 warning upside the head, the suspensions and fine probably won't be reduced.

Steeler fan translation:

"Harrison didn't even hit cribbs and Momass... it is just a phoney video, you know, like

Star Wars wasn't real, and like, you know, the steelers have won superbowls, so I became a steeler fan

so I can feel like, you know, I am worth like, you know, at least a buck fifty, and I will lie my ass off because

I, you know, like to support my thugball team, the steelers, because I think, you know, pro wrestling is really, really real,

and you know, you Browns fans don't make any sense, you know?"

Yea, right.

He'll see whether he can find another job that will pay him several millions dollars per year, and then make a decision.

Hey James, the job market is pretty tough right now.

Hmm, there MIGHT be an opening for a janitor at Coventy HS where he attended.

One of the few that plays the game the way it was intended.....Turkey Joness would be ashamed of all this crying

Turkey Jones visited bradshaw in the hospital and said "I didn't mean to do it" Harrison probably sent a text message that said "I meant to do it"

Can we stop complaining about hard hits! We have been an embarassement because of losing for years, and now because our fan base is crying about hard hits in professional football.

I want Ward to keep hitting in the secondary. We have a hitter now, lets let him keep this opportunity.

This new rule is going to be referred to as the "Browns Rule" that removed the ability of defensive player to play with intensity and intimidation.

STOP THIS DAMN COMPLAINING!

Nobody is saying anything about "hard hits"!! We're saying headhunting with intent to injure has got to go in the NFL. From a medical perspective three of the four hits that made the ESPN highlight reel Sunday had the potential to induce career ending paralysis. The hit on Cribbs, and the hit on Heap snapped their heads back a good six inches. And the perpetrators in both instances had the opportunity to pull up- yet didn't.

This isn't the Roman Coliseum where it's OK to kill the other guy- and if this kind of stuff is allowed to continue, I'll guarantee you sooner or later, it's going to happen.

I've never seen so much whining from Browns fans in my life. You'd think Harrison pulled out a gun and shot Cribbs and Massaquoi on the spot judging by the non-stop crying going on. If the Browns thought the shots were cheap, they should have taken care of it on the field. Are they afraid of the big bad bully James Harrison? Or that 5'11 200 lbs receiver that has been terrorizing Cleveland for a decade now? Cleveland hasn't had an intimidating player on defense since they came back in 1999. Rogers was the closest thing to that and was responsible for countless late hits on the QB that you guys all celebrated.

The thread starter acts all high and mighty, yet he had an avatar of Roethlisberger down on the ground and injured before changing it yesterday. A couple weeks ago everyone was defending and bragging about TJ Ward. You guys all loved it when the Browns knocked Ben out of the game a couple years ago and when he had his motorcycle crash. The majority of you are nothing but hypocrites. So keep on harping about the big bad Steelers. Nothing's going to change the fact the Steelers have dominated the Browns for the past decade, and will continue to do so because of their strong management. The Steelers have fielded perennial playoff contenders for close to 20 years now.

You complain about whining from Browns fan, yet, this entire post is just you whining. So. uh, What's up with that?

how about he invest in his own name brand. something like:

James's Fried Chicken Shack and the tag line could be Try It You'll Like It (or we'll take you out back and beat the shit out of you!!!)

or

James Harrison Chevrolet and the tag line would be See The USA In A James Harrison Chevrolet (if the piece of shit makes it out of pittspuke first) (yes a reference to the old C. Miller ads i remember as a kid)

i mean the world is an oyster and james can just stomp on it to get it open

Archived