THE BROWNS BOARD

Head-to-Head Hits & New Rule Discussion

ATENEARS

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More "deep football discussion", I see.

I could be wrong, but helmet to helmet hits aren't generally called on running plays, otherwise there would be 50 penalties a game.

But hey - don't let me interfere with your "deep football discussion". I can't wait until your next nugget of sheer football brilliance.

Regards...

... an'at

(edit - ANTEATERS or someone replaced my original post with a pic of Cribbs getting carted off or something. Pretty lame IMO, but I guess frustration takes it's toll on the simple minded.)

Get a good video of the hit, you will see that Harrison didn't use his helmet.

Stop Wards video at 00:58 he actually trys to position his helmet out of the way, but was flagged for hitting Shipley in the head (with his shoulder). Harrison's arms fly-out in violent fashion as he tee's off on MoMass. Ward hit with his shoulder, Harrison went for Massaquoi's head with forearms/shoulder/helmet. Just as "dirty" and he should have been flagged especially since it was his second headshot of the day. If Ward was fined, Harrison should be fined for the combination of both hits today.

you're right about the fact that it was a run play, and they don't generally call it on run plays. But it is pretty clear that he is not trying to make a tackle but is trying to make a big hit and is leading with his head, towards another player who only has his head exposed to him. I.E head hunting.

More "deep football discussion", I see.

I could be wrong, but helmet to helmet hits aren't generally called on running plays, otherwise there would be 50 penalties a game.

But hey - don't let me interfere with your "deep football discussion". I can't wait until your next nugget of sheer football brilliance.

Regards...

... an'at

Helmet-toHetlmet hits are only illegal on qbs and defenseless receivers. Cribbs was a RB on that play so there's no foul.

Did you know ATENEARS does roids and gives head?

you're right about the fact that it was a run play, and they don't generally call it on run plays. But it is pretty clear that he is not trying to make a tackle but is trying to make a big hit and is leading with his head, towards another player who only has his head exposed to him. I.E head hunting.

I don't want to see anyone get hurt except Lewis and Suggs but I agree, this hit might have been avoidable and I understand why stains fans are pissed off. I would be if it happened to us.

For what it's worth.

Regards...

... an'at

Cribbs actually cut back in to Harrison and they simply collided.

uh, he doesn't cut into harrison, he cuts up the field and harrison comes in perpendicular to him, with only cribb's head exposed to harrison

First hit I can see as an accident, the 2nd hit is more questionable, but it is clear that both hits were head to head and both were easier to avoid that Wards was. I think at least each hit should receive the same $15,000 fine for each hit, more than likely should get a $50,000 or play a game without pay. I also wouldn't be surprised if he was suspended for a game, of course I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't either.

Cribbs actually cut back in to Harrison and they simply collided.

Cribbs didn't cut back to him and he was falling when he got hit. That is why I actually don't think the helmet to helmet was intentional on this play. Harrison's face was looking at the ground and I think he was going for the helmet to ball hit, but Cribb's head was where the ball was supposed to be. But it still ended up being helmet to helmet and you really shouldn't lead with your head like that no matter what your trying to hit, not good for your neck or head and it defiantly isn't good for who ever you hit.

Rodney Harrison just said on NBC that defensive players need to be suspended for the shots to the head, which included the hit by Harrison on Massaquoi.

I see what you did there. Rodney never said anything about Harrison's hit. He was talking in gneral $5,000 fines are nothing for people making millions.

Harrison deliberately took out Cribbs, who hurt them with the TD's last year, and who would have run a lot of

plays in the WildDawg to take the heat off McCoy.

Then he deliberately took out the Browns leading wr.

and not one flag was thrown in pittstinkburg.

Official(s) have to be on the take or something. The NFL needs to suspend at least one referree now.

Harrison is just another cheap shot artist.

I cannot believe NEITHER flag was thrown.

Harrison needs to be suspended. A fine does nothing.

I see what you did there. Rodney never said anything about Harrison's hit. He was talking in gneral $5,000 fines are nothing for people making millions.

That's completely untrue. They showed the clips of the hit by the Falcons player on Jackson of the Eagles, then the clip of the helmet shot on Todd Heap, and also the hit by Harrison on Massaquoi. Then the question was asked, what can the league do to stop these hits on guys or does something need to be done. Harrisons words were that fines don't matter and they don't hurt, what hurts is when a player is suspended and these players need to be suspended for at least one game if not two games.

Tony Dungy agreed with Harrison that there needs to be suspensions. I suppose if you live with your head up your ass like you do, you would just assume that they were only talking about the other two hits and not the one that included the Steelers player. It would seem to me that if the Harrison hit wasn't as bad (as steeler fans have claimed) then they wouldn't include it with the other two hits to the head in the games today.

Keep living in denial...all I did was report exactly what was said during the NBC pregame show. If I was going to make things up, I would've said that they also have talked about the Cribbs it, but it was not mentioned and I even did hear on other games that the helmet to helmet hit does not exist on running plays.

NO flags either? On both hits he was making his body like a spear. If he was to break his neck someday for what he is doing out there, It would be hard to feel sorry for him.

Maybe its because he is coached by some of the dumbest coaches in the sport of football who praise hits like that.

Harrison deliberately took out Cribbs, who hurt them with the TD's last year, and who would have run a lot of

plays in the WildDawg to take the heat off McCoy.

Then he deliberately took out the Browns leading wr.

and not one flag was thrown in pittstinkburg.

Official(s) have to be on the take or something. The NFL needs to suspend at least one referree now.

Harrison is just another cheap shot artist.

I cannot believe NEITHER flag was thrown.

Harrison needs to be suspended. A fine does nothing.

Have you ever said a single thing in Browns Discussing that wasn't whining about the Steelers?.....You complain about the refs,but say nothing about your free first down of free td the refs gave you.

That's completely untrue. They showed the clips of the hit by the Falcons player on Jackson of the Eagles, then the clip of the helmet shot on Todd Heap, and also the hit by Harrison on Massaquoi. Then the question was asked, what can the league do to stop these hits on guys or does something need to be done. Harrisons words were that fines don't matter and they don't hurt, what hurts is when a player is suspended and these players need to be suspended for at least one game if not two games.

Tony Dungy agreed with Harrison that there needs to be suspensions. I suppose if you live with your head up your ass like you do, you would just assume that they were only talking about the other two hits and not the one that included the Steelers player. It would seem to me that if the Harrison hit wasn't as bad (as steeler fans have claimed) then they wouldn't include it with the other two hits to the head in the games today.

Keep living in denial...all I did was report exactly what was said during the NBC pregame show. If I was going to make things up, I would've said that they also have talked about the Cribbs it, but it was not mentioned and I even did hear on other games that the helmet to helmet hit does not exist on running plays.

Neither of them specifically mention either the hit on Heap or Harrison's hit. they were speaking in general terms. Nothingyou can quote them saying has them talking specifically about the two hits they played to open the segments.

You also convienently left out the part were both Dungy and Harrison said helmet hits aren't intentionally done to injure, they are just how the are tought that make them happen so often. Your certianly remeber the part when Harrison said defenders start out aim at the chest to knock the ball out and naturally raise up a few inches making the hit at the hemet. And the part were Dungy confirmed players are tought to seperate the ball from the player. I just can't figure out why you would leave that part out.

I never denied they said they both said suspensions are more effect then small fines. Hec, I even said that in my response so that right there is off topic criticism.

NO flags either? On both hits he was making his body like a spear. If he was to break his neck someday for what he is doing out there, It would be hard to feel sorry for him.

Maybe its because he is coached by some of the dumbest coaches in the sport of football who praise hits like that.

A spear is hitting with the tip top of your helmet. The only way that's possible is if the tackler's entire body is completely paralell to the ground. That's why it's called a spear, becuase your body is laid on and straight like a spear. Otherwise, the hit would be much closer to the facemask or forehead area....The name literally describes how the hit has to happen and you still get it wrong.....

A spear is hitting with the tip top of your helmet. The only way that's possible is if the tackler's entire body is completely paralell to the ground. That's why it's called a spear, becuase your body is laid on and straight like a spear. Otherwise, the hit would be much closer to the facemask or forehead area....The name literally describes how the hit has to happen and you still get it wrong.....

Even if he gets the description wrong, Harrison makes hits every game with hit face straight down. Not even you can say that is healthy for your neck and I agree with Mr. T. He knows why he is hitting like that and the day he breaks his neck hitting like that not only will I not feel remorse, but I will call up V8 for him because they are the only ones who are going to sponsor a vegetable.

Archived