Last year the Browns put out the following WR corp:

BE 6'3"

JJ 6'5"

Tim Carter 6'0"

This year the Browns put out the following WR corp:

BE 6'3"

Stallworth 6'0"

Steptoe 5'9"

The overall HEIGHT of the WR corp has been shrunk by 8"!!! When you are talking about a QB that stands 6'6" it is easy to see that throwing to a tall WR corp is a HUGE BENEFIT!!!

This is one of the reasons I think that we would benefit from putting K2 into the slot. K2 at 6'4" would give us essentially the same SIZE WR corp as we had last year. K2 is also widely considered to have the BEST HANDS of our receivers...so he would fill in JJ's spot nicely.

It would then free up Stallworth to go deep or intermediate crossing routes.....which in turn would allow BE to go on the types of routes he likes so much....outside patterns and deep routes.

This would also allow us to continue to utilize Heiden/Dinkins as primary blockers who could also release into routes against LB's.

With the BE taking a double (CB/S over) on most plays, Stallworth would demand the other CB and K2 would either pull the second S or be in a mismatch against a LB....and that would still leave Heiden/Dinkins...and it would empty the box for JL.

Moving K2 to the slot could make this offense explosive overnight...and give DA the kind of targets he was able to complete 56.5% of his passes to last year!!!

Nah, I don't like moving Winslow to the slot, you want to keep him in the same position so that he draws coverage from a LB instead of a nickel corner.

what I think we SHOULD do, is have it like this (a 2 TE set with Harrison)

Edwards_________Heiden-X-X-X-X-X-Winslow___________Stallworh

-

___________________________DA Harrison____________________

The above is unstoppable ^

Nah, I don't like moving Winslow to the slot, you want to keep him in the same position so that he draws coverage from a LB instead of a nickel corner.

what I think we SHOULD do, is have it like this (a 2 TE set with Harrison)

Edwards_________Heiden-X-X-X-X-X-Winslow___________Stallworh

-

___________________________DA Harrison____________________

The above is unstoppable ^

K2 has been pulling double coverage with LB and S over top anyway....

As for the 2 TE thing...by putting him in the slot it is basically the same thing...the only difference is he will get a cleaner release if he is split wide. Also, by putting Harrison is it allows the D to pull of the line a little more....JL forces them to respect the middle of the line and keeps the ILB's home instead of dropping back into intermediate coverage.

I like Harrison...but think that he would be better used in single TE set with K2 so we basically have 2 slot types going into routes....forcing at least ONE of them to be covered by a LB which would be a mismatch.

I like the idea of the 2 TE set with Winslow/Heiden. It still shows the defense a strong running formation versus putting Winslow in the slot. It also ups the probability that Winslow ends up matched with a LB in coverage versus the defense switching to a nickle formation for the slot and Winslow getting a DB.

I like the slot idea too, but still think we should be using a 2 TE set as well as the traditional 1 TE set with Winslow. I don't think Winslow is nearly as valuable as a 3rd receiver. As a TE the defense is forced to either go light against the run to bring a DB on Winslow (i.e., a nickle formation) or double team Winslow if staying strong against the run since a LB must be supported by a safety to contain him.

Either way, a match up problem occurs: 1) go nickle and even with Winslow the defense is weaker against the run or 2) put an LB on Winslow and force a safety double team putting either Edwards or Stallworth in single coverage.

Me likee.

Archived