THE BROWNS BOARD

HIGH SCHOOL--1958 vs. 2008

Guest ATENEARS

Guest ATENEARS

Scenario 1:

Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

1957 -Vice Principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his shotgun to show Jack.

2007 -School goes into lock down, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario 2:

Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1957 -Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.

2007 -Police called and SWAT team arrives -- they arrest both Johnny and Mark. They are both charged with assault and both expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario 3:

Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.

1957 -Jeffrey sent to the Principal's office and given a good paddling by the Principal. He then returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.

2007 -Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. He becomes a zombie. He is then tested for ADD. The school gets extra money from the state because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario 4:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

1957 -Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college and becomes a successful businessman.

2007 -Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. The state psychologist is told by Billy's sister that she remembers being abused herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario 5:

Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

1957 - Mark shares his aspirin with the Principal out on the smoking dock.

2007 - The police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is then searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario 6:

Pedro fails high school English.

1957 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English and goes to college.

2007 - Pedro's cause is taken up by state. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against the state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is then banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario 7:

Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red fire ant mound.

1957 - Ants die

2007- ATF, Homeland Security and the FBI are all called. Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. The FBI investigates his parents -- and all siblings are removed from their home and all computers are confiscated. Johnny's dad is placed on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario 8:

Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1957 - In a short time, Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison. Johnny undergoes 5 years of therapy.

Look at America now. China is going to take over the role of "Super Power" within 50 years. US Education system in total disaray. A bunch of cry baby liberals ruining this once proud and decent country. Great article Stan, and very true. Liberals = the poison of society.

Look at America now. China is going to take over the role of "Super Power" within 50 years. US Education system in total disaray. A bunch of cry baby liberals ruining this once proud and decent country. Great article Stan, and very true. Liberals = the poison of society.

:):rolleyes:

Again, it just sounds like everything that used to be common sense has

been replaced by a bass ackwards liberal society.

That makes NO freakin common sense.

Again, it just sounds like everything that used to be common sense has

been replaced by a bass ackwards liberal society.

That makes NO freakin common sense.

Common sense has been legislated out of America. See McDonald's "this coffee may be hot". well DUH!!! I especially enjoy all the warnings you see on extension ladders.

Good Lord, fast forwarding to 2008, since I'm a

chemist at heart- if currently the Local authorities knew what stuff I had in my basement back in the 70s, they would have called in the Haz Mat team pronto, and I might even have been arrested for being a terrorist. :)

I hate this nostalgic bullshit.

We're supposed to believe 1957 is somehow better than 2007? That we as a society were happier and more free?

We were poorer, more ignorant and segregated is what we were. Boy, wish I could go back to those days.

Oh, and at war(s) and in constant fear, a fear often used for political purposes. Hmm, sounds familiar, doesn't it? Maybe not so different after all.

So, let's talk about 1957, shall we? Oh, how great it was...

We were 4 years removed from a shooting war during which we suffered ~150,000 casualties (killed, wounded, POW/MIA) and had tens of thousands of Americans patrolling the DMZ and acting as a "speed bump" in case the North ever invaded again. In 2008, thousands of Americans are still there.

In 1957, we were in the midst of a Cold War with the Soviet Union. Fears of nuclear armaggedon were widespread. Pinkos and commies were everywhere, threatening our very existence as a God-fearing nation.

Wow, huh. Fascinating. Very different times. Much better then than now.

Suburbs proliferated. The interstate system was created. Cars ruled. The fast food culture was created. TV replaced radio. Disney films were a hit.

Man, certainly nothing wrong with any of that stuff either. No ill effects AT ALL for us today. Sigh. What an era.

What a load of crap.

Ooooooh! Modern psychology/psychiatry is sooooooooooo scary!

I guess things WERE better when people thought smoking was healthy, eating healthy included trans-fats, preservatives, and Crisco, and ignorance/segregation ruled. Perhaps we should repeal Women's Suffrage or not allow minorities vote or even eat at the same restaurants I do.

The "modern" answers presented in this brilliant email posted are your classic neocon answers forced upon "liberals," exaggerating everything as usual. Pretending to think like "they" think.

Here are reality's (READ: mine) "modern" answers.

Scenario 1:

Jack goes quail hunting before school and then pulls into the school parking lot with his shotgun in his truck's gun rack.

How is bringing a gun to school ever acceptable? Drop it off at home first.

Scenario 2:

Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

Johnny and Mark get detention, their parents get a phone call, and they are forced to sit and talk about why fighting solves nothing.

Scenario 3:

Jeffrey will not be still in class, he disrupts other students.

Jeffrey gets referred to a school psychiatrist, has his parents called, etc.

Scenario 4:

Billy breaks a window in his neighbor's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.

Billy should be forced to pay for the broken window and told why what he did was wrong and to not do it again. Billy's dad should know that "whooping up" on his kid probably isn't the most effective method to teach a child. Positive/negative reinforcement works better than punishment every time.

Scenario 5:

Mark gets a headache and takes some aspirin to school.

So?

Scenario 6:

Pedro fails high school English.

Pedro gets an F.

Scenario 7:

Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the Fourth of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up a red fire ant mound.

Johnny is probably a kid who doesn't know fireworks are dangerous and shouldn't be fooled with. His parents need to educate him on the dangers.

Scenario 8:

Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

Johnny is a child, S. Palin. Not an adult. He should be comforted and taken to a nurse.

Guest Aloysius

Juki and mz the pussy already made the points I'd make. I'll just add that these "the 50's were so great" arguments are made especially curious by the fact that people in the 50's also felt that the traditional social order had fallen apart. If you watch a film like Rebel Without a Cause (1955), the same motifs of social disorder & misplaced (or missing) paternalism play a central role.

I hate this nostalgic bullshit.

We're supposed to believe 1957 is somehow better than 2007? That we as a society were happier and more free?

We were poorer, more ignorant and segregated is what we were. Boy, wish I could go back to those days.

Oh, and at war(s) and in constant fear, a fear often used for political purposes. Hmm, sounds familiar, doesn't it? Maybe not so different after all.

So, let's talk about 1957, shall we? Oh, how great it was...

We were 4 years removed from a shooting war during which we suffered ~150,000 casualties (killed, wounded, POW/MIA) and had tens of thousands of Americans patrolling the DMZ and acting as a "speed bump" in case the North ever invaded again. In 2008, thousands of Americans are still there.

In 1957, we were in the midst of a Cold War with the Soviet Union. Fears of nuclear armaggedon were widespread. Pinkos and commies were everywhere, threatening our very existence as a God-fearing nation.

Wow, huh. Fascinating. Very different times. Much better then than now.

Suburbs proliferated. The interstate system was created. Cars ruled. The fast food culture was created. TV replaced radio. Disney films were a hit.

Man, certainly nothing wrong with any of that stuff either. No ill effects AT ALL for us today. Sigh. What an era.

What a load of crap.

Good man ......it is refreshing that indeed we have a few people in the US still thinking....................work hard the opposition of totallu mindless is still overwhelming

DieHard's clearly the kind of crotchety caveman who rebelled against such modern conveniences as fire, indoor plumbing, toothbrushes and mathematics.

It isn't surprising, therefore, that Modern Psychology somehow slipped through the cracks.

I would expect a fag from CA with no life experience to express such an opinion. Talk to me when you have seen some combat, fighting for your life you miserable puke. :D

Talk to me when you have seen some combat, fighting for your life you miserable puke. :D

First off, I am very impressed that you somehow find every single post I make and respond angrily to it.

Back to the topic at hand, I much prefer the whole letting-brainless-monkeys-like-you-do-the-stepping-in-front-of-bullets thing. It's all part of my "modern lifestyle" that you clearly loathe.

It must just SICKEN people like you that you "fight so courageously" for people like me and all the others you hate and call 'fags.' I cannot possibly express in words the satisfaction, the pure fcuking rapture I get out of this.

It is AWESOME.

First off, I am very impressed that you somehow find every single post I make and respond angrily to it.

Back to the topic at hand, I much prefer the whole letting-brainless-monkeys-like-you-do-the-stepping-in-front-of-bullets thing. It's all part of my "modern lifestyle" that you clearly loathe.

It must just SICKEN people like you that you "fight so courageously" for people like me and all the others you hate and call 'fags.' I cannot possibly express in words the satisfaction, the pure fcuking rapture I get out of this.

It is AWESOME.

Whats awesome is that you always are wanting to pick a fight with someone, you can be gay all day we veterans dont give a crap about you californis boys with your flowers in your hair! smoking your weed and humping each others legs. If this was the 50's your kind would still be hiding behind the woodshed waiting for the next town creep to come along so you could get off on a chicken.

You think California is such a wimpy place without soldiers? Tell that to the 3,239 soldiers who were wounded or killed in Iraq, the most of any single state.

How about this list from Vietnam?

http://archive.gisearch.com/memorials/viet...ame=&fname=

Or to all of these men who died in the second world war

http://www.archives.gov/research/arc/ww2/a...california.html

To say veterans don't give a crap about California is completely ignorant.

Archived