THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns All Star, All Era team

Kosarfan

What are your recommendations for an all-era all-star Browns team?

Mine (a tad old school) start at:

Bernie Kosar

Webster Slaughter

Josh Cribbs

Eric Metcalf

Kevin Mack

Ernest Byner

Clay Matthews

Shaun Rogers

Frank Minnifield

Michael Dean Perry

Brian Sipe

Brian Brennan

New Era:

QB Derek Anderson

RB Jamal Lewis, Lee Suggs

WR Braylon Edwards, Kevin Johnson, Antonio Bryant, Andre Davis

TE Kellen Winslow, Steve Heiden

OL Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach, LeCharles Bentley (he counts), Ryan Tucker, Ryan Tucker (he can play two spots right?)

DL Shaun Rogers...really he's the only one who deserves mention

LB Jamir Miller, Andra Davis, Kam Wimbley, Dqwell Jackson (all debatable except Miller)

DB Anthony Henry, Eric Wright, Brandon McDonald, Sean Jones, Brodney Pool.

New Era:

QB Derek Anderson

RB Jamal Lewis, Lee Suggs

WR Braylon Edwards, Kevin Johnson, Antonio Bryant, Andre Davis

TE Kellen Winslow, Steve Heiden

OL Joe Thomas, Eric Steinbach, LeCharles Bentley (he counts), Ryan Tucker, Ryan Tucker (he can play two spots right?)

DL Shaun Rogers...really he's the only one who deserves mention

LB Jamir Miller, Andra Davis, Kam Wimbley, Dqwell Jackson (all debatable except Miller)

DB Anthony Henry, Eric Wright, Brandon McDonald, Sean Jones, Brodney Pool.

Don't forget Speilman if we are going to include LeCharles Bentley! Also Cribbs, J.J.,

Also don't forget Leigh Bodden, and Brian Russell.

Defense:

Walter Johnson, Michael Dean Perry, Jerry Sherk, Bill Glass (i know, three inside guys. Put in Paul Wiggin and take someone off if you don't like that).

Clay Matthews, Chip Banks, Jim Houston

Frank Minnifield, Hanford Dixon (Minnifield was the best CB that i've ever seen play for any team)

Don Rogers, Eric Turner.

Special Teams: Metcalf, Cribbs, Walter (The Flea) Roberts, Groza, Leroy Kelly, Gardocki, Pruitt, Pontbriand, and Dawson (who i hated in his early days). Sorry for the long list.

Roach....Are you & I the same age, or do we just THINK alike?

Jerry Sherk & Clay Mathews were not "flashy", but just GREAT blue collar players. Sherk's peers around the league considered him the top D-tackle in the league. John Madden absolutely LOVED Mathews!...I consider the Linebacker position to demand supurb athleticism & conditioning & Clay Mathews remained at or near the top of his position for a LOT of years!...WHY is he not in the Hall of Fame?

I agree with the others too, but let's not forget Gary Collins, Dave Logan, & Brian Brennan.....you'll search far & wide to find 3 better "possession" receivers who were also "money" players. These guys came through when the heat was on. (Logan was drafted into THREE Pro sports...Football, Basketball, & Baseball. I'm just glad he chose the Browns...I loved watching him play.)

Sorry for the rant, but let's face it, the Browns have had some real GREATS!

Mike

Roach....Are you & I the same age, or do we just THINK alike?

I agree with the others too, but let's not forget Gary Collins, Dave Logan, & Brian Brennan.....

Probably not. i'm pretty old.

It was killing me not to put Collins on the list. He was a helluva reciever and punter.

When Collins went back to punt, he never went into the huddle. Bobby Franlin just snapped him the ball when he was ready. When Collins had a rare drop on 3rd down, he would sometimes just take off and run for a 1st down. The team never knew when he was going to run. He was a tough football player- just like Cribbs is today.

Put Gary Collins on the list too.

Archived