THE BROWNS BOARD

You mess up, you will be benched.

TheClevelandSound

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...browns_sto.html

BEREA, Ohio -- Eric Mangini issued a stern warning Monday to his players: Turn the ball over or commit costly penalties and you'll be watching from the sidelines.

"Whether it's turnovers or penalties, if it becomes a pattern, then we can't play the people who create turnovers or penalties because it hurts our chances," said Mangini.

The Browns had two turnovers -- a Seneca Wallace interception and Jerome Harrison fumble -- that cost them 10 points, and nine penalties that led to the 16-14 loss to the Chiefs.

"I don't really see it as me benching anybody," said Mangini. "I see it as either hold onto ball and get carries or you don't hold onto the ball and you don't get carries. And I'm not limiting it to the running backs. This isn't just about Jerome [Harrison], let me make that clear.

"The same thing with penalties. Either you stay onsides or you don't. If you jump offsides on third down, then we're not going to play you on third down. That's it. We'll put somebody else in and if they beat us on the play, they beat us on the play. If that person's maybe not exactly who we'd want on that play, it's going to be better than giving away a first down. We've got to do it. There's no alternative."

If Mangini yanked everyone who was making mistakes these days, he'd have to start calling up practice squad players and scouring the waiver wire. But based on fumbles by Peyton Hillis and Harrison over the past two games, one thing he could do is give some carries to James Davis.

"It depends on the week of practice and things like that," said Mangini. "But I have confidence in James. And I'm not lacking confidence in Jerome or Peyton. Make sure that's clear."

Davis said he'll be ready if his number is called Sunday in Baltimore.

"If my opportunity comes, I'll try to make the most of it," he said. "When the coach calls on you, you better be ready to make a big play."

While everyone on the team insists that Harrison was down when Chiefs linebacker Mike Vrabel stripped him of the ball on the Browns' second drive, Mangini said it shouldn't have come to that. The Browns challenged, but the fumble held. The Chiefs converted it into a field goal. Harrison was so frustrated after the game he wouldn't talk.

"Whether you agree with it or disagree with it, whether you think his arm was down or not, if you put it into someone else's hands to make that decision, then you live with the results," said Mangini. "The ball shouldn't be on the ground."

Hillis, who fumbled in Tampa and false-started in the third quarter against the Chiefs, understands Mangini's warning.

"I don't expect anything less," said Hillis. "If you turn over the ball over, you should probably get less reps until you hang onto the ball. Those mistakes lead to losses. We could just as easily be 2-0."

As for Wallace's interception, which was returned or a touchdown, Mangini attributed it to the offense still jelling.

"This was Seneca's first start in a while," said Mangini. "Even though we have veteran guys at a lot of spots, this is a group playing together for the first two times."

Mangini also lamented the lack of deep completions. Mohamed Massaquoi, who had only one catch for nine yards, missed two, one when he couldn't keep both feet inbounds and one when the ball came out on a late third down play when he hit the ground. The Browns were forced to punt and never got the ball back.

"The receivers are running the right routes," said Mangini. "There's been chances both ways -- times they've been open and haven't gotten the ball, and times where we've gotten the ball but haven't been able to keep our feet in. So I'm looking for them to continue to improve."

Explained Massaqoi: "I watched both of them. The sideline one, I'm just still trying to get used to being more aware of the sideline, trying harder. The other one, when he landed on top, the ball squirted out. It's one of those things. It wasn't a matter of not catching the ball."

Mangini attributed the anemic running game -- 73 yards and a 2.8 average -- to a missed read here, a missed block there.

"I want to be able to run the ball well," he said. "I want to be able to run the ball consistently and I want to be able to run the ball well against any front that we face, in any weather conditions we're in."

He did blame the coaching staff for one mistake: not using the WildDawg more. Josh Cribbs took one direct snap and ran for a yard. But he caught the 65-yard TD pass from Wallace and was the only one to manage a big play.

"I would have used it more yesterday," said Mangini. "With him, they may load box, they may do a lot of different things, but he's got a chance on any play."

He did blame the coaching staff for one mistake: not using the WildDawg more. Josh Cribbs took one direct snap and ran for a yard. But he caught the 65-yard TD pass from Wallace and was the only one to manage a big play.

"I would have used it more yesterday," said Mangini. "With him, they may load box, they may do a lot of different things, but he's got a chance on any play."

Daboll needs to go at the end ? of this season. I just don't see that he has the ability to outthink a defense.

honestly I've usually supported Mangini, but now when you have the players thinking about "Don't commit a penalty, don't turn it over", you'll have them thinking about that over the actual current play of the game at times, which is quite bad for their focus. This is going to make them nervous and make some of the players play scared.

I can't think of any coach who has enacted a policy like this, at least publicly. The team definitely needs a new offensive coordinator that's for sure.

I like this philosophy. I'd rather let the other team beat us, than us beat ourselves. It's crazy the amount of turn overs and penalties we have. So what, let the players worry about fumbling or penalties. It's their job...

Although i didn't believe in Mangini at first, i definitely do now. He's right, there's nothing else he can do. If guys continue to suck, he's got to change them out. Let him get the guys he wants and this team will turn it around.

Its only a matter of time now mangini is gasping for air to survive and the oxygen is getting thinner, lets not forget lerner hired this guy and it was a big mistake, mangini has always been this way its nothing new....

The sooner holmgren shows this bum the door the better, a horrible coach with a history of being a horrible coach..

Its hard enough to watch this club play under this idiot of a coach without having to know that the players are all under undue pressure and arent having fun out there while this amateur coaching staff is where the problem lies and if holmgren does keep this bum then i really have to re-address where i stand as a fan of this dysfunctional expansion franchise...the bad decisions this owner and its representitives make and have made are uncalled for and really getting old...personally im not going to support 5 more years of bad football from this club...

Revis explains Mangini's difficulty in relating and communicating with his players.

"He needed to sit us down, correct the mistakes, and get more in-depth with what we need to do, and what we need to accomplish as a team," said Revis. "He'll say one thing on the board, but then relating to the player, [he] had a tough time sometimes."

While no one disrespected Mangini outright, the unsatisfactory job he did as a head coach was evident to everyone within the organization. For his qualities as an intelligent man, it was clear that he was never prepared to lead.

"You can say what you want and speak your mind," safety Kerry Rhodes told Farmer. "I think it's always best if you can do that, because if you don't you can end up holding so much stuff in that at the end of the day it can be combustible. That's how we ended up with the last coach."

Offensive lineman Damien Woody, who joined the Jets prior to Mangini's third and final year, was particularly candid about the prior regime.

"Here I am 31 years old, I've got my own kids, and I'm married, and here's someone that's not that much older than me -- or whatever the case may be -- telling me what I can and can't do," Woody said "It's so regimented where the game is just not a game anymore. It's not fun. Even when you win it's not fun."

This is pretty striking. Darrelle's a soft spoken guy. This is about as harsh as he gets.

I hear what he is saying. It's not just that Mangini was demanding. The things he was demanding about just really don't matter. I've heard stories about Mangini flipping on offensive players at meetings because they couldn't name the offensive starters on the next opponent. Who cares? They were facing the defensive players on the other team, not the offensive ones.

Eric Mangini is nothing like his successor, Rex Ryan. He rarely spoke and when he did, it seemed like he was speaking in code or another language.

Eric Mangini is no longer the head coach of the NY Jets. I have been writing all year that Mangini was on the hot seat and that between his lack of experience as a field general (making changes during the game) and his emotionless actions during the week and in games eventually cost him his [...]

If Jets players were allowed to speak freely in Eric Mangini’s paranoid world, they would tell you the coach hasn’t completely earned their trust, either. Again, if you’re a Jets fan, you know he hasn’t earned yours.

Its only a matter of time now mangini is gasping for air to survive and the oxygen is getting thinner, lets not forget lerner hired this guy and it was a big mistake, mangini has always been this way its nothing new....

The sooner holmgren shows this bum the door the better, a horrible coach with a history of being a horrible coach..

Revis explains Mangini's difficulty in relating and communicating with his players.

"He needed to sit us down, correct the mistakes, and get more in-depth with what we need to do, and what we need to accomplish as a team," said Revis. "He'll say one thing on the board, but then relating to the player, [he] had a tough time sometimes."

While no one disrespected Mangini outright, the unsatisfactory job he did as a head coach was evident to everyone within the organization. For his qualities as an intelligent man, it was clear that he was never prepared to lead.

"You can say what you want and speak your mind," safety Kerry Rhodes told Farmer. "I think it's always best if you can do that, because if you don't you can end up holding so much stuff in that at the end of the day it can be combustible. That's how we ended up with the last coach."

Offensive lineman Damien Woody, who joined the Jets prior to Mangini's third and final year, was particularly candid about the prior regime.

"Here I am 31 years old, I've got my own kids, and I'm married, and here's someone that's not that much older than me -- or whatever the case may be -- telling me what I can and can't do," Woody said "It's so regimented where the game is just not a game anymore. It's not fun. Even when you win it's not fun."

This is pretty striking. Darrelle's a soft spoken guy. This is about as harsh as he gets.

I hear what he is saying. It's not just that Mangini was demanding. The things he was demanding about just really don't matter. I've heard stories about Mangini flipping on offensive players at meetings because they couldn't name the offensive starters on the next opponent. Who cares? They were facing the defensive players on the other team, not the offensive ones.

Eric Mangini is nothing like his successor, Rex Ryan. He rarely spoke and when he did, it seemed like he was speaking in code or another language.

Eric Mangini is no longer the head coach of the NY Jets. I have been writing all year that Mangini was on the hot seat and that between his lack of experience as a field general (making changes during the game) and his emotionless actions during the week and in games eventually cost him his [...]

If Jets players were allowed to speak freely in Eric Mangini’s paranoid world, they would tell you the coach hasn’t completely earned their trust, either. Again, if you’re a Jets fan, you know he hasn’t earned yours.

while I can't argue with the words spoken by the guys who played for him, it appeared last season that our Browns played hard for their coach. When you're 1-11 and you despise your coach, are you going to be giving it you all?

From what i've seen over the past 10 years, this guys has stuck to his plan and I can see the roots starting to take hold. I am willing to give him some time and get some real players on this team.

And let's not forget, this guy took the Jets to the playoffs. Just saying...

Daboll needs to go at the end ? of this season. I just don't see that he has the ability to outthink a defense.

They definitely need to get Cribbs more involved. While he is not a true WR, he did burn the Chiefs on that big 65 yd td. That alone should garner more attention to him, and open it up for opportunities to hit other WRs.

Roots starting to take hold? Mangini is 5-13. It'll take a 8 game winning streak just to getti 500.

One of the problems is that he should have been fired last year. So they wouldn't be stuck with making mid season change. I don't like always starting over and think they should have cleaned house last year.

Flash.

Just heard Braylon Edwards got arrested for DUI

Roots starting to take hold? Mangini is 5-13. It'll take a 8 game winning streak just to getti 500.

One of the problems is that he should have been fired last year. So they wouldn't be stuck with making mid season change. I don't like always starting over and think they should have cleaned house last year.

Flash.

Just heard Braylon Edwards got arrested for DUI

Correct. Mangini inherited a pile of crap. He's already brought in a bunch of new players and i've seen improvement. Let him bring the guys he wants and we'll see.

Correct. Mangini inherited a pile of crap. He's already brought in a bunch of new players and i've seen improvement. Let him bring the guys he wants and we'll see.

Mangini did not inherit a pile of crap, Remember, this "pile of crap" were able to defeat the NY giants and had offensive weapons that did trouble plenty of defense and if it were not for dropped passes then RAC might have more wins and have still been the coach.

What he inherited though was a combination of talent + indiscipline + overachievers. And since were 4-12 without a set system, Mangini thought he could implement his own system and start from scratch. And the rebuilding process is not over and done yet, maybe with time we will achieve better results.

Mangini did not inherit a pile of crap, Remember, this "pile of crap" were able to defeat the NY giants and had offensive weapons that did trouble plenty of defense and if it were not for dropped passes then RAC might have more wins and have still been the coach.

What he inherited though was a combination of talent + indiscipline + overachievers. And since were 4-12 without a set system, Mangini thought he could implement his own system and start from scratch. And the rebuilding process is not over and done yet, maybe with time we will achieve better results.

True what Manigini inherited was not totally awful. I still question what he has done with it though. I know the rebuilding process is still going on it just seems a bit slow and may be regressing. The offense is atrocious.

I take solace in reminding myself that the Jimmy Johnson / Troy Aikman Cowboys once went 1-15. Not saying that we have a jimmy Johnson or a Troy Aikman. Yes kids that old guy on survivor and the that FOX announcer were once a great team.

I like this philosophy. I'd rather let the other team beat us, than us beat ourselves. It's crazy the amount of turn overs and penalties we have. So what, let the players worry about fumbling or penalties. It's their job...

Although i didn't believe in Mangini at first, i definitely do now. He's right, there's nothing else he can do. If guys continue to suck, he's got to change them out. Let him get the guys he wants and this team will turn it around.

As much as I am all for taking a stern approach and having a disciplined team...if a guy turns the ball over once, I hand it to him again. Use his frustration and competitive spirit to counter his mistake. Turn a negative into a positive. Now, if it becomes a continued problem (like Hillis last week), then I understand removing the player. Do you think that once fumble-prone RB Tiki Barber corrected his bad ways to become such an effective ball carrier by NOT playing?

I don't know. I have mixed feelings on this particular hard stance from Mangini. It worries me a bit.

The bottom line is mistake are costing us games and ultimately, Mangini will lose his job IF games such as these are consistently lost. If the players cannot execute properly, he doesn't have much choice, does he? I'm with everyone saying that a "Big Brother" approach isn't a beneficial one at all as players/workers who tend to have that hanging over them will often times mess up more. (or can) That being said, these things are correctable mistakes and i don't fault a man for wanting the BEST out of his team. They aren't playing their best and we are losing in part because of it.

Mangini has the right idea's but his approach is what i've always kind of questioned with him. It's a long season and one always full of surprises, hopefully we will turn this one around and this kind of talk will all be forgotten.

I expected this. In Mangini's post game press conference he said "We will not play like that". This team could be 2-0 without the mistakes and something must be done to get their attention. They work on mistakes every day in practice and if that isn't enough emphasis put their butts on the bench.

I found MoMass's comments a little disturbing "It wasn't like I didn't catch it" Ummm, yes it was like you didn't catch it or it wouldn't have been ruled incomplete. Hold onto the ball after you hit the ground and you will be rewarded with a completion.

Everyone makes mistakes but if you are making more than one every 2-3 games then sit down. If you are only giving 100% effort some of the time then sit down.

Think about the Packers and if they benched Favre for every interception. What I don't like and sorry if you don't agree, cause you are allowed to disagree... Is that he is refusing to put blame on the coaching..

He did blame the coaching staff for one mistake: not using the WildDawg more

Ok.. It took you till Monday to figure that out that you weren't running the wildog enought and not during the game when both you and the OC our on the same sidelines with each other. Sorry, but the game plan sucked in the second half, and everyone that I have heard post game, have asked the same questions. Whether it be KNR, Deiken, Donovan, Bernie, etc etc,. the offense was poor and the game plan even poorer.

You know what if we lose games because he benches someone because of a mistake and it costs us a game.. Sorry, your not going to build moral that way and gain support. Your going to have people scared to play than to want to win IMO. Mistakes are going to happen.... does it piss you off when it does... sure.. but the biggest thing you can do is put confidence back into your players after a mistake.

honestly I've usually supported Mangini, but now when you have the players thinking about "Don't commit a penalty, don't turn it over", you'll have them thinking about that over the actual current play of the game at times, which is quite bad for their focus. This is going to make them nervous and make some of the players play scared.

I can't think of any coach who has enacted a policy like this, at least publicly. The team definitely needs a new offensive coordinator that's for sure.

I agree, having players play cautious is not a good thing considering that we neded to start playing with more fire anyways. Hillis was pounding the rock very well in Tampa, yet coughed it up. We went away from Hillia nad went flat, so I wouldn't say that was a good solution. It may have cost us the game.

I agree, having players play cautious is not a good thing considering that we neded to start playing with more fire anyways. Hillis was pounding the rock very well in Tampa, yet coughed it up. We went away from Hillia nad went flat, so I wouldn't say that was a good solution. It may have cost us the game.

I agree.

You want players playing loose.

As a coach, he may decide to do that, but I don't think it a great idea to make it a public proclamation.

If you are tired of a player because he fumbles, drops passes, or jumps off-sides, just pull him and tell him why he was pulled.

I doubt Joe Thomas as an example gets pulled if he jumps offsides a time or two.

I hope not anyway.

I would like to see a vid of the actual quote.

Sometimes the way things are reported aren't in the same vein as how they are said. Many times the context of the comment gets lost in the black ink.

If the players are afraid of making mistakes then find some new players. If they do not have it in them to play consistent mistake free football then they need to go somewhere else, either to the bench or another team. We did not have all of these mistakes at the end of last season.

These guys are not visiting a psychiatrist they are on a football team expected to win games against tough competition. If having high expectations makes them tentative then send them packing, there are a lot of people who face that type of scrutiny in their job while living pay check to pay check.

Regarding Favre he had four turnovers and cost his team the game last week. If he keeps that up Minnesota will wish they had an option to bench him for

I dont think he said anything that every player didn't already know. Adrian Peterson's probably the only player in the league that doesn't get benched for consistently putting the ball on the ground.

Holmgren's influence on Mangini to lighten up in training camp could be hurting us now. Bring back that mean SOB

I agree.

You want players playing loose.

As a coach, he may decide to do that, but I don't think it a great idea to make it a public proclamation.

There it is...This is the mentality from grade school right on up...any sport ....you screwup you sit

But there's no need to go public just so you can say "look at me ,I'm doing my job"

I like the contrast here....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While everyone on the team insists that Harrison was down when Chiefs linebacker Mike Vrabel stripped him of the ball on the Browns' second drive, Mangini said it shouldn't have come to that. The Browns challenged, but the fumble held. The Chiefs converted it into a field goal. Harrison was so frustrated after the game he wouldn't talk.

"Whether you agree with it or disagree with it, whether you think his arm was down or not, if you put it into someone else's hands to make that decision, then you live with the results," said Mangini. "The ball shouldn't be on the ground."

THEN HE SAYS....

Explained Massaqoi: "I watched both of them. The sideline one, I'm just still trying to get used to being more aware of the sideline, trying harder. The other one, when he landed on top, the ball squirted out. It's one of those things. It wasn't a matter of not catching the ball."-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So one guy hits the ground and the ball pops out and it's the worst thing that could happen, then in the next breath he says that "It's just one of those things." for another guy.

Nice.

I like the contrast here....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THEN HE SAYS....

Explained Massaqoi: "I watched both of them. The sideline one, I'm just still trying to get used to being more aware of the sideline, trying harder. The other one, when he landed on top, the ball squirted out. It's one of those things. It wasn't a matter of not catching the ball."-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So one guy hits the ground and the ball pops out and it's the worst thing that could happen, then in the next breath he says that "It's just one of those things." for another guy.

Nice.

Well...one quote is Mangini. The other is MoMass.

So....yeah.

Archived