THE BROWNS BOARD

Transcript from Friday presser - OC Brian Daboll

SJ_Browns

http://www.ohiomm.com/blogs/browns/2010/09...brian-daboll-2/

Browns offensive coordinator Brian Daboll met with reporters Friday afternoon. Here is a transcript from the press conference:

Browns Offensive Coordinator Brian Daboll press conference 9-17-10

(On if it is likely that Seneca Wallace will start Sunday) -- “Seneca has been practicing all week, Jake (Delhomme) has been out. He hasn’t been ruled out yet, so if he’s ready to go and Eric (Mangini) and the doctors deem him ready to go, then he will be ready to go. But Seneca has practiced all week. I feel comfortable with where he’s at, both in his approach and understanding the game plan. He’s excited and if he gets the chance to play, I expect him to go out there and do well.”

(On if he has ever had a quarterback like Wallace in his background) -- “A running-type, moving guy? No. I’ve been around Tom (Brady), Chad Pennington, Kellen (Clemens) and Jake. He’s a little bit more of a mobile guy.”

(On what it’s like coaching a more mobile quarterback like Wallace) -- “I think the unique thing about Seneca is he can move, but he can also drop back and get in the shotgun and operate in the pocket making throws like a traditional guy. He just has a little bit more athleticism than some of the guys where he can maybe escape and make a play with his feet or make a play scrambling and keeping his eyes down the field.”

(On if having Wallace in can open up more possibilities for WildDawg) -- “Jeff (Schudel) with the WildDawg that we have, we have a select package that we’ve been practicing since May, somewhere around 20 plays, around there. We can mix them in and out of the game with ease. When he is in there, you can run normal plays, you can run those WildDawg plays, so it gives you a little bit more options yes, but at the same time we still have the same plays that we have been working on.”

(On taking away the turnover and evaluating the offense after the first game) -- “I wish I could take those turnovers out, but you can’t. I was just looking at a stat a little earlier today, nine of the 12 teams that had a positive turnover ratio last week won. That’s 75 percent of the teams that had a positive turnover ratio won. When you put the ball on the ground, and your job on offense is one to score points and two to protect it, you can’t throw that aside. We had some decent drives, you have yards, but at the end of the day, it comes down to making plays when you have to, protecting the ball and scoring points.”

(On if he called plays any differently after the turnovers) -- “No. We went in with a specific mindset of what we wanted to get done early in the game and we were sticking with that plan. We were doing a good job and then the turnover happened at the end of the half, which was tough. We came out and we adjusted at halftime. We had a good drive going and we put it on the ground again. We couldn’t get it out of being backed up, which was a frustrating thing. But no, we had our game plan, we were sticking to it. We have just got to make those plays to get us out of there and protect the football.”

(On if he knew how seriously Delhomme was hurt and how the conversation went) -- “We talked about it. I just said, ‘How are you doing?’ He said, ‘I’m doing okay. I’m good.’ Then the trainer talks to Eric and if he’s not ready to go back out there, they’ll let me know and they’ll say, ‘Hey, he’s not ready to go out there.’ If he’s ready to go, he’s staying in. It was fine.”

(On calling plays against Romeo Crennel, who he has known for a long time and previously worked with) -- “I have a tremendous amount of respect for Romeo. He’s one of the class individuals, I think, in the league, not just as a coach, but as a person. He’s extremely smart, his players love him. He’s gotten them to play, you can just see the energy on tape the way they are playing for him. They’ve got a good group of guys and it will be a challenge. He’s a heck of a coach, but he’s a heck of a person too.”

(On if he has been trying to guess what Crennel will do Sunday defensively) -- “Yes, I think to have some familiarity with the guys you are going against can work in two ways. You can think you’ve really got a guy and then boom, something comes up and vice-versa. Fortunately, RAC (Crennel) and I aren’t out there playing against each other out there on the field. You have got to put in mind the players that they have got on the team. From top to bottom in that organization starting with Scott Pioli and down to Todd (Haley) and Romeo and Charlie (Weis), I think they have done a heck of a job. There are a bunch of guys on that roster, on that staff, that I have familiarity with, whether it be Otis Smith or Anthony Pleasant or Joel Collier, so it will be a good challenge.”

(On if Weis is whom he takes the bulk of his offensive philosophy from) -- “Yes, I learned a lot from Charlie being at New England, and that’s where I started offensively under Charlie. I think the world of Charlie. I think he’s an excellent coach, he’s demanding, he’s tough on his players, he expects detail, he puts a lot on their plate, he’s just got a good feel for the game. I learned a lot from Charlie Weis.”

(On Jerome Harrison saying he wants to get a lot of carries in a game) -- “There’s only one ball and I’m glad that he says that. You want guys that want the ball. There’s different personnel packages that we have throughout the game where in one, Peyton (Hillis) is in and then another, J.C. (Harrison) is in. Depending on what you’re getting defensively and how you want to try and attack them and what they see up in the press box and this might be good right now, that’s what we go with. If he’s doing well and it’s good looks on defense and we have got to keep feeding him, then we keep feeding him. It’s just kind of the ebb and flow of the game.”

(On if he thinks a running back gets in a rhythm with the more carries he gets in a game) -- “Yes, you saw it kind of last year with him (Harrison). We have some different guys on our team that also add value in different areas and we’re going to be mixing in personnel groups, we’re going to be mixing in formations, we’re going to be mixing in different types of plays, whether it’s inside or outside. My expectations of those guys is when they get it, they answer it. They ran pretty hard last week, they had nine carries each and a decent average. We just have to keep working on protecting that ball.”

(On the Chiefs’ defense giving up a low amount of yards per carry) -- “I think Derrick Johnson is a pretty good football player inside. I think their technique with the down linemen, their two gap in technique with Romeo there and Anthony Pleasant has improved. They’re playing with outstanding technique, they’re shedding blockers. They have got a new safety there who I think is going to be a heck of a player for years to come in Eric Berry. All around, I think they are playing good team defense. RAC, I think, is a guy that just stresses technique, fundamentals and those guys are doing a good job with it.”

(On if the performance against Kansas City in 2009 was something that he needed) -- “Yes, I think you need a win anytime. That’s the most important thing. Again, not speaking too much on last year because I think it’s a different team, but I think the guys that were there last year did a good job. They were the ones out there blocking and running. To get a win any week is what you’re looking for.”

(On if the performance versus Kansas City defined Harrison more than he previously knew) -- “He’s not a mystery to me. What was it, 200 and whatever he had? I don’t think you ever think you are ever going to get that many yards or a guy is going to give you that many yards. It was just a really good day for him, but it was a good day for the other guys in front of him too, the line and Vick (Lawrence Vickers) and all of those guys.”

(On if the Chiefs’ defense looks faster than it did last year) -- “I think they looked pretty good. Again, I think #56 inside, Derrick Johnson, is a heck of a player. He’s fast, he can run, he makes a lot of plays. He made a heck of a play when he stripped it from that rookie running back. He’s a good ball hawk. You have Berry in there too, I think they’re pretty good and they’re well-coached.”

(On what Delhomme did well in the first half of the opener) -- “He just operated the offense. We were in no huddle most of the time. He executed the plays, made some accurate throws and then he’s a really good leader. Obviously, we all wish we had that one play back at the end of the half, but he had the team going in a nice rhythm. He was completing passes, going to the right guy and he was getting us into a right run. He did a nice job.”

(On if Delhomme’s mind is right after being injured and a rough second half last game) -- “I think he’s great, I think he’s fine. I know he made a bad play and he’ll be the first to admit it, but I have no concerns about Jake Delhomme.”

(On how Wallace and Delhomme are different for calling plays) -- “We have a volume, every team has a volume of offensive plays. The first thing you do is when you sit down to game plan, you look at the defense and you kind of see what direction you want to go in. There’s a volume of plays that you choose from and you have different plays maybe set up for one guy, then the next guy just likes these plays a little bit better. He feels more comfortable reading them, drops, knows exactly where to go versus the other guy. A lot of them are the same too. One play can be exactly the same for both guys, but one play could be, ‘I don’t really like that one,’ versus the other guy, ‘I kind of like that one a little bit better.’ You go through your game plan, you get all of the plays set up and I have daily conversations with these guys. After practice, ‘Hey, what did you like? What did you feel on this? Okay.’ You go ahead, you take that out and then you just weed it down from there.”

(On some of the adjustments he talked about with his wide receivers for this game) -- “The number one thing was the route adjustments. It wasn’t a ton. We wish we had one back there, I think we would have had another really big play if we read it the right way. They played hard, they blocked hard. Sometimes when you’re not watching the coach’s film, you don’t exactly have it. Robo (Brian Robiskie) made a couple nice plays in there. He didn’t have the catches that, obviously, he would like. He caught one on the sideline, we are working on that footwork. Those guys weren’t bad.”

(On the interception that Delhomme threw that was intended for Benjamin Watson) -- “We had a three-by-one play kind of line up. We had a little pressure and Jake escaped out. We were going to have guys in three different spots and we just kind of read it the wrong way. The ball is coming out and he’s getting pressured and he throws it and he’ll be the first one to admit it. No matter what happens in the play, he’s got the ball in his hands. He’s going to either throw it away or take the sack.”

(On if the heat took its toll in the second half) -- “No, I thought Eric and the training staff did a good job in preparing these guys. Eric ran them after practice, they did a good job of hydrating. I didn’t the weather had an effect at all. I think we turned the football over, offensively speaking, and that’s what had an effect on it.”

(On if he learned any more about Hillis last game) -- “He’s been a consistent guy in his approach and the way he goes out and plays the game. Again, the fumble issue, you’d like to not have that and I know he would too. He’s a pretty consistent guy with his pass protection and how hard he runs, so we are looking for him to keep going in the right direction.”

(On if there was any relation between the two fumbles Hillis had) -- “No, they just came out. One was going towards the ground and the other one, it gets noisy in there sometimes with the big guys. The backs know that their number one job is to keep track of that ball and make sure he’s got two hands on it.”

(On Hillis and Harrison being a long-term combination) -- “They have different personnel packages that they are in based on how many receivers are in the game or how many tight ends. They understand their role, where they are at and the good thing about it is that both of them can do each other’s deal. If one guy needs a blow, he can go in and play his spot and vice versa.”

(On if there was any relation between the two fumbles Hillis had) -- “No, they just came out. One was going towards the ground and the other one, it gets noisy in there sometimes with the big guys. The backs know that their number one job is to keep track of that ball and make sure he’s got two hands on it.”

on both of hillis' fumbles, he didn't have 2 hands on the ball (if i remember correctly). i don't think hillis protected the ball well in traffic. it's one thing to be running out in space, but when defenders close in or if the ball carrier is running through traffic, he should put 2 hands on the ball. guys are going to be ripping away at it. hillis' fumble issues can be easily corrected. based on daboll's comment, i'm sure they pin pointed his error.

No. We went in with a specific mindset of what we wanted to get done early in the game and we were sticking with that plan. We were doing a good job and then the turnover happened at the end of the half, which was tough. We came out and we adjusted at halftime.

We had a good drive going and we put it on the ground again. We couldn’t get it out of being backed up, which was a frustrating thing. But no, we had our game plan, we were sticking to it.

Okey dokey?

Good job........

PLEASE GOD HELP US!

Thanks for this, SJ. Daboll's got to be so disappointed that he drafted a strong gameplan, and the execution fell short with the turnovers. I am hopeful that he'll learn to make the necessary adjustments during the game with just a bit more experience.

no prob prof g.

i respectfully disagree with your daboll comment. i think his game plan was seriously flawed. it was too predictable and very easy to game plan against. the bucs stacked the box and shut down the run as well as the short passing game. instead of making adjustments to counter this, daboll kept doing the very things that weren't working.

you have to strecth the field to keep a d playing honest. if they know you're just going to run the ball and throw short passes, why drop men into coverage? daboll and mangini knew this, but they made no adjustments. they waited until the end of the game when the clock was running out and they were forced to throw longer passes to do so. that, my friend, is the recipe for an embarassing loss.

the browns could've still won the game with the 2 turnovers in the first half and went into the week 1-0 with somethings to work on and improve. it's the coaches jobs to put the players in the best situation to play in. the d just needed a little help from the offense in the second half. if the o could've got a drive or 2, that would've given the d some more time to catch a breather.

Okey dokey?

Good job........

PLEASE GOD HELP US!

Good lord.... I read that part as well and I just smacked my head against the table.

What kind of assinine coach resolves to "stick to the gameplan" when the other team's defense shuts you down repeatedly?

Shit, I seriously can't believe he said that. Daboll calls runs up the middle play after play. Tampa Bay starts stacking the box with 10 guys. In response... Brian Daboll calls more runs up the middle.

What. The. Flying. xxxxb. Is this man doing to our team?

What kind of backwards, bizzaro-land logic does that make???

Good lord.... I read that part as well and I just smacked my head against the table.

What kind of assinine coach resolves to "stick to the gameplan" when the other team's defense shuts you down repeatedly?

Shit, I seriously can't believe he said that. Daboll calls runs up the middle play after play. Tampa Bay starts stacking the box with 10 guys. In response... Brian Daboll calls more runs up the middle.

What. The. Flying. xxxxb. Is this man doing to our team?

What kind of backwards, bizzaro-land logic does that make???

:lol:

great post!! esp. the bizzarro land logic crack. nice!

i can't believe daboll actually claimed he made adjustments at halftime. yeah, right! the only thing he adjusted at halftime was his headset.

if it weren't for the defense getting as many stops as they did, the bucs would've blown the browns out.

But he DID adjust!

We stopped running slants, sweeps, screens, and any play that involved a pass of more than 5 yards.

That's adjusting, right?

But he DID adjust!

We stopped running slants, sweeps, screens, and any play that involved a pass of more than 5 yards.

That's adjusting, right?

lol, you're right. he adjusted to suit the bucs needs. BRILLIANT!

seriously, what is this guy getting paid for?

no prob prof g.

i respectfully disagree with your daboll comment. i think his game plan was seriously flawed. it was too predictable and very easy to game plan against. the bucs stacked the box and shut down the run as well as the short passing game. instead of making adjustments to counter this, daboll kept doing the very things that weren't working.

you have to strecth the field to keep a d playing honest. if they know you're just going to run the ball and throw short passes, why drop men into coverage? daboll and mangini knew this, but they made no adjustments. they waited until the end of the game when the clock was running out and they were forced to throw longer passes to do so. that, my friend, is the recipe for an embarassing loss.

the browns could've still won the game with the 2 turnovers in the first half and went into the week 1-0 with somethings to work on and improve. it's the coaches jobs to put the players in the best situation to play in. the d just needed a little help from the offense in the second half. if the o could've got a drive or 2, that would've given the d some more time to catch a breather.

I definitely see where you're coming from, but I'm not sure the Browns have the players to do much in the way of stretching the field. The gameplan they were working with gave them an 11 point lead early on, so it seemed to be working. The problem for me wasn't the initial gameplan. I think Mangini is about as smart as coaches get when it comes to having a good plan. The biggest problem from my point of view was the failure to make in-game adjustments when poor execution left us with a very small lead. Winning time of possession in the second half would probably have been enough to win the game.

Archived