THE BROWNS BOARD

Will Hillis' fumble-itis limit his carries next week?

Armchair Bronco

Check Hillis' numbers. He has fumbled once in the previous two years. I would definitely say that today's fumble was an abberation.

When you hear/see where a Denver fan talks about Hillis' great rookie year but how badly he messed up in 2009, just consider the source. They are showing their ignorance. For one thing, the HC never gave him a chance to play, so how could he do so much harm? They obviously don't know anything about football.

When Hillis fumbles, IMO you can just say that you saw history happen.

Hillis is going to do just fine. He does not have history of being careless with the ball. I like his brusing style and his fire when he scores. It's a long year lets see what he can do. One game does not show much.

Really?

Want to look at Delhomme's numbers. He is slightly better than last year when he threw a pick once every 17.8 attempts. This year it is at one every 18.5 attempts. He has also completed less than 60% of his passes the past three seasons - and it isn't because he didn't have weapons. He had one of the best receivers in the league AND one of the top two or three rushing attacks in the league. They stacked the box against him and he still couldn't complete passes.

I am aware of Delhomme's performance last season and I am not saying that he will be great this season -- although I hope he is successful. I am a firm beliver in Hillis. The point I was trying to make is that backs will fumble and quarterbacks will throw interceptions. Since those things will occur, one game in this season is not reason to bench someone.

IMHO Hillis got the start against the Bucss because Harrison had a case of dropsies toward the end of the preseason games. It would not surprise me if Harrison got the start this week -- nor do I worry about it if he does. It's a natural part of the game.

Looking at the box score, it appears that Mangini is truly running a two-man rotation at that running back slot. Both Hillis and Harrison had 9 carries. Hillis did have a 4 to 1 margin in receiving.

I know Hillis will be ok. I don't know how Delhomme will do, but like I said before, I hope he is successful. It looks like we will get to see what Wallace can do this week.

Hillis is going to do just fine. He does not have history of being careless with the ball. I like his brusing style and his fire when he scores. It's a long year lets see what he can do. One game does not show much.

In order for a 2 back set to properly work and be efficient in the NFL, it requires two things...

1. A GOOD running back

2. A GOOD running back

The problem is that Cleveland only has one (in my opinion)

If I were the coach, I wouldn't try to copy other teams by having 2 backs in this situation. You know why? Because Harrison is the best back on the team and plenty good enough to win games consistantly & put up big numbers. Why sit him on the bench?

I know I'm not the coach and never will be, but I can say that if I ever was I would send Peyton Hillis to the practice squad. Either that or let him go. Davis would be my #2 guy.

In order for a 2 back set to properly work and be efficient in the NFL, it requires two things...

1. A GOOD running back

2. A GOOD running back

If I were the coach, I wouldn't try to copy other teams by having 2 backs in this situation. You know why? Because Harrison is the best back on the team and plenty good enough to win games consistantly & put up big numbers. Why sit him on the bench?

I know I'm not the coach and never will be, but I can say that if I ever was I would send Peyton Hillis to the practice squad. Either that or let him go. Davis would be my #2 guy.

Do you even watch the games? I'm beginning to think you're either A.) Delusional B.) Jerome's friend or family C.) Some loser who wants Jerome to have more carries for his fantasy team.

Peyton Hillis deserves lots of carries because everytime he runs he almost guarantees a positive gain, he carries and drags defenders with him for extra yards.

This is the weirdest trolling and or agenda I've seen as of recent seeing as you're the only one on this board who holds this opinion.

Do you even watch the games? I'm beginning to think you're either A.) Delusional B.) Jerome's friend or family C.) Some loser who wants Jerome to have more carries for his fantasy team.

Peyton Hillis deserves lots of carries because everytime he runs he almost guarantees a positive gain, he carries and drags defenders with him for extra yards.

This is the weirdest trolling and or agenda I've seen as of recent seeing as you're the only one on this board who holds this opinion.

I do have him on my fantasy team. I was mad he didn't get more carries and he isn't a friend of the family. Call me delusional if you feel and you can say Hillis gets pos yards thats fine, but what does that matter if you can't hold on to the rock? Go ahead and say it(he has only fumbled 3 times in 2 years or whatever i dont care what you say he isn't as good as Jerome. I am done talking about this crap

Your actions aren't living up to your chosen internet name, kid.

Hillis and Harrison are both good backs. I will never agree with your bizarre assertion that Harrison is the only person who "should" receive carries on the Browns. Zero information exists that will convince me otherwise.

There's no need to be frustrated about having a RBBC back, you just have to use him appropriately. Many RB's are that way - Bradshaw/Jacobs, Brown/Williams, Williams/Stewart. And the beat goes on. I have Fred Taylor, but he sits this week because the matchup's not favorable.

You made a mistake. Deal with your own lack of judgement rather than projecting that frustration onto others.

I do have him on my fantasy team. I was mad he didn't get more carries and he isn't a friend of the family. Call me delusional if you feel and you can say Hillis gets pos yards thats fine, but what does that matter if you can't hold on to the rock? Go ahead and say it(he has only fumbled 3 times in 2 years or whatever i dont care what you say he isn't as good as Jerome. I am done talking about this crap

You're done talking about it because you've been proven wrong time and time again.

1. A GOOD running back

2. A GOOD running back

And that is the most ridiculous thing i've ever read. I'm the biggest James Davis homer of them all, but I wouldn't cut Hillis just to get Davis.

My dream situation is Hillis and Davis. And Harrison is traded for a WR.

Your actions aren't living up to your chosen internet name, kid.

Hillis and Harrison are both good backs. I will never agree with your bizarre assertion that Harrison is the only person who "should" receive carries on the Browns. Zero information exists that will convince me otherwise.

There's no need to be frustrated about having a RBBC back, you just have to use him appropriately. Many RB's are that way - Bradshaw/Jacobs, Brown/Williams, Williams/Stewart. And the beat goes on. I have Fred Taylor, but he sits this week because the matchup's not favorable.

You made a mistake. Deal with your own lack of judgement rather than projecting that frustration onto others.

Okay, I thought I was done talking about this but you say some pretty foolish things that I want to correct you on. Zero information convinces you that Jerome isn't as good as I say hunh? How about when he rushed for 286 yards last season against Kansas City at there house and set a RECORD? I think one other person has ever done that in Browns history. How about when he went off for atleast 100 yards or more every time he had 20 carries in a game? What else do you want? Just incase that's not enough, heres a link for you to see this guy run when given a chance. Apparently you need a different prescription for your eye glass lenses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCbtxeJzP-k

And you think Hillis can play like this? Joke lmfao

Oh, and while your at it, check out the comments from other people, atleast I'm not the only one that's delusional.

Okay, I thought I was done talking about this but you say some pretty foolish things that I want to correct you on. Zero information convinces you that Jerome isn't as good as I say hunh? How about when he rushed for 286 yards last season against Kansas City at there house and set a RECORD? I think one other person has ever done that in Browns history. How about when he went off for atleast 100 yards or more every time he had 20 carries in a game? What else do you want? Just incase that's not enough, heres a link for you to see this guy run when given a chance. Apparently you need a different prescription for your eye glass lenses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCbtxeJzP-k

And you think Hillis can play like this? Joke lmfao

Oh, and while your at it, check out the comments from other people, atleast I'm not the only one that's delusional.

This is exactly why you don't know anything about football.

"And you think Hillis can play like this? Joke lmfao"

NO, which is why they share carries, they are two different kinds of backs, Harrison is small and fast he is more likely to get the big play, but he is also more likely to get stuffed on the run for little to no gains. Hillis is a big strong back that hits the defenders like a mack truck and can consistently gain positive yardage. They should both be used and I guarantee you if Harrison was the only one who was used the Browns would be worse off rather than splitting carries between two different types of players.

It shows your knowledge of football is limited when you apply fantasy football logic to your arguments, that is to think that all RBs should play the same just because it's the same position, Harrison and Hillis both play the same position but are two very different players, with their own strengths and weaknesses.

This is exactly why you don't know anything about football.

"And you think Hillis can play like this? Joke lmfao"

NO, which is why they share carries, they are two different kinds of backs, Harrison is small and fast he is more likely to get the big play, but he is also more likely to get stuffed on the run for little to no gains. Hillis is a big strong back that hits the defenders like a mack truck and can consistently gain positive yardage. They should both be used and I guarantee you if Harrison was the only one who was used the Browns would be worse off rather than splitting carries between two different types of players.

It shows your knowledge of football is limited when you apply fantasy football logic to your arguments, that is to think that all RBs should play the same just because it's the same position, Harrison and Hillis both play the same position but are two very different players, with their own strengths and weaknesses.

I am not going by fantasy football logic dude, this is the first year I have ever played fantasy football. I am a believer in having a big bruiser running back too but that guy has to be able to play consistant without fumbles and needs to be a good alternative to the 1st back. I don't see that with Hillis. Why do you think Jacobs starting to get get such little attempts in New York? Cause he has proven that he can't really be trusted and that's the way I look at Hillis. Why do you think they run Bradshaw so much? Atleast they got some since and by the way, it seems to be working out fine for them.

I am not going by fantasy football logic dude, this is the first year I have ever played fantasy football. I am a believer in having a big bruiser running back too but that guy has to be able to play consistant without fumbles and needs to be a good alternative to the 1st back. I don't see that with Hillis. Why do you think Jacobs starting to get get such little attempts in New York? Cause he has proven that he can't really be trusted and that's the way I look at Hillis. Why do you think they run Bradshaw so much? Atleast they got some since and by the way, it seems to be working out fine for them.

You saw one game, dude. One. Game. Jesus christ. I don't understand why everybody thinks one game constitutes a trend. He's fumbled three times in his career. It just so happened two of them happened to be in one game, and even then they were on clean hits to the ball.

Jerome Harrison has also fumbled three times in his career. He can't be trusted to carry the rock either, I guess.

Define lots. Because I don't think he deserves 'lots' of carries. Harrison definately deserves more carries and gives us the best chance to score - which always seem to be a problem. When Hillis scored his touchdown it was Harrison's big run that set it up. By the way, that run by Harrison was over twice as long as Hillis's career long.

Yeah, give him carries. But certainly not anything close to an equal timeshare.

So why not utilize Harrison in space and pass him the ball? Hillis caught four passes while Harrison had one thrown his way.

And no, I am not comparing Harrison to Barry Sanders, but Sanders holds the NFL record for carries for negative yards, the big play is what made him so good.

FYI - the career average per carry for both Harrison and Hillis was exactly the same going into this season.

So why not utilize Harrison in space and pass him the ball? Hillis caught four passes while Harrison had one thrown his way.

And no, I am not comparing Harrison to Barry Sanders, but Sanders holds the NFL record for carries for negative yards, the big play is what made him so good.

FYI - the career average per carry for both Harrison and Hillis was exactly the same going into this season.

I tend to agree.. Harrison is a much better back running to the outside.. But how many times did we see him try and run into walls of people? That's the play calling.... I keep asking myself though this question and someone answer it for me. Do these backs run the play as designed regardless of the opportunity the OL gives them? When the hole isn't there why not try and bounce outside. The great runners would make that call and bounce outside... I haven't seen that in our backs for some time on a consistent basis. Are the being told not to improvise.. Are they being told to run it as designed regardless.? I don't know... but it's frustrating to see a talented back like Harrison being forced to plow guys over when he isn't the size of Hillis.. It reminds me of Metcalf up the middle.. up the middle.. up the middle.. IIrC, most of Harrisons best runs come from bouncing out side or when the OL actually does it's job (and in fact most backs have success with a good OL).

Jerk, you are wearing out your welcome fast. Yammer Yammer Yammer. You really need to go home for a diaper change and come back AFTER you learn something - anything - about football.

You're down on Hillis because he fumbled. Would you please give me a list of rb's who have gone a season without any fumbles.

You are dissing Delhomme for 2 interceptions and a fumble. Granted that's not good, but would you please provide me a list of qb's who have gone a season with no fumbles or interceptions.

I'll wait for the lists. I'm sure you have them right at hand.

I've wondered why you are such an adamant supporter of Hillis and had such a vendetta against Josh McDaniels, but I've figured it out.

I believe you used to be a broncos fan and fell in love with Hillis, got pissed when he played himself out of his role on the team and then followed him to Cleveland. Hillis was traded March 14, 2010, and your join date is March 15, 2010. You're not even a real Browns fan.

I say let Harrison do all the hard work, then give the rock to Hillis on 1st and goal and let him punch it in for a TD. I'm starting Hillis on my fantasy team tomorrow in the floater spot (my QB options are Stafford and Kolb, both of whom are badly injured).

I think with Jake D. sitting out, Mangini will play things conservatively and run the ball most of the game.

My Excel spreadsheet is predicting an 18-8 win for Cleveland.

GO HILLIS!

Archived