THE BROWNS BOARD

Will Hillis' fumble-itis limit his carries next week?

Armchair Bronco

Peyton Hillis outperformed Matt Stafford on my fantasy team, and he didn't go do with a shoulder injury either (Stafford did).

So I need to decide if I should start him next week. Trouble is: the guy seems to have trouble holding on to DA ROCK. You guys think this was an abberation or should we start calling him Peyton "Butterfingers" Hillis?

Sometimes I think that the guy fumbles early in the season when he's trying too hard. It's like he wants to make a statement to the coach or something, and then he gets careless.

When he first emerged in Denver, he played with reckless abandon and didn't feel like he had anything to prove. (It helped that Denver didn't have any other options.)

Then, the following year, he F*&^%$ed up early in the season trying to impress new coach Josh "Stalin" McStalin -- he had some costly fumbles in the red zone and some muffed returns. He was quickly benched for the rest of the season and that was that.

Sometimes I think that the guy fumbles early in the season when he's trying too hard. It's like he wants to make a statement to the coach or something, and then he gets careless.

When he first emerged in Denver, he played with reckless abandon and didn't feel like he had anything to prove. (It helped that Denver didn't have any other options.)

Then, the following year, he F*&^%$ed up early in the season trying to impress new coach Josh "Stalin" McStalin -- he had some costly fumbles in the red zone and some muffed returns. He was quickly benched for the rest of the season and that was that.

Mangini will take care of that.

I thought that I had heard that Hillis rarely ever fumbles. He looked great running downhill, I though the life got sucked out of the offense when we stopped using him, not necessarily when he fumbled. I would rather have him in carrying the majority of the load, fumbles or not.

Check Hillis' numbers. He has fumbled once in the previous two years. I would definitely say that today's fumble was an abberation.

When you hear/see where a Denver fan talks about Hillis' great rookie year but how badly he messed up in 2009, just consider the source. They are showing their ignorance. For one thing, the HC never gave him a chance to play, so how could he do so much harm? They obviously don't know anything about football.

When Hillis fumbles, IMO you can just say that you saw history happen.

I like Hillis as much as everybody else in here. I think he is an animal and will do a great job grinding out yards and wearing out D's.

BUT I still don't understand what is going on with Harrison. How many times does this guy have to prove that he can run the ball in this league?

The guy basically carries the load the last part of the season where we were running all over people and actually winning games. We go into Tampa today, facing a defense that couldn't stop the run last year, (ya they add two new rookies to their DL...so what? Prove you can stop it now) and we hand the ball to Harrison 9 times and the guy rips off 52 yards and doesn't fumble. Hillis gets it 9 times for 41 and fumbles twice and we are all in here talking about how we would rather him carry the load for the team.

What's the downside to Harrison carrying the load?

Do we think Hillis has the same home run speed harrison does? (Ya I watched Hillis run down old man Ronde today, but I thought Ronde blew a hamsting he was running so slow after the first 30 yards. I actually heard the guy calling he game say "why is he slowing down?")

Is it because he is 5' 9" and only 205 pounds that he isn't allowed to be a feature back in this league? If that's the case, I just watched Jones-Drew at 5' 7' 206 get 23 touches today for 98 yards so I don't think that theory holds water.

Do the Brown's coaches all suffer from the same vision we do? For the past few years I've had to watch him sit behind Lewis, and when Lewis would go down for a game or two, Harrison would come in and rip off great games, and as soon as Lewis was back, it was right back to the same old 2 yard runs into the back of the OL.... WTF?

I'd love nothing more than to see Hillis and Harrison run for 1000 yards a piece this year. I just would like someone to explain to me what the taboo surrounding Harrison is, and why he is the odd man out. (And if it's because he put the ball on the ground in pre-season, and we are putting much faith in what preseason proves...) I know more than a few of you don't like Harrison and everytime he cuts a team up you have some excuse as to why he was able to do it, (Terrible run defense, Our Oline is so great that anybody could have done that) I'd like to know what you guys think he lacks as a runner? Is it the fact that he is a lacking pass blocker, so we can't let him run for 100+ yards a game cause he can't protect our QB long enough to launch our offensive aerial assault that we have?

I just hope we don't sit around and let his contract run out next year and watch him get picked up by a team where he turns into a perennial 1000 yard back and keep our fingers crossed that Hardesty can stay health.

(On a side note. RUN THE DAMN BALL DABOLL... moron...)

100% agree with you, Hx. Harrison is a good back. We were having great yards per carry from two backs! Harrison has nearly 6 per carry and we don't feed it to him? I understand letting Hillis sit after two fumbles. But bring in Davis to switch it up too. We didn't use them effectively and offense play calling is a big culprit in this loss.

Check Hillis' numbers. He has fumbled once in the previous two years. I would definitely say that today's fumble was an abberation.

When you hear/see where a Denver fan talks about Hillis' great rookie year but how badly he messed up in 2009, just consider the source. They are showing their ignorance. For one thing, the HC never gave him a chance to play, so how could he do so much harm? They obviously don't know anything about football.

When Hillis fumbles, IMO you can just say that you saw history happen.

It may have been that Hillis fumbled in the preseason when McStalin first showed up. And I know that Peyton muffed some returns around that time. It was all that McDaniels needed to bench him and go with his hand picked successor - No Show Moreno.

I thought Hillis was a Bull. The fumble I saw was a helmet right into the ball. Harrison had one good run. The key to the loss IMO was the interception when we were driving and could have possibly made it 21-3. That was definitely the turning point of the game. All these people going crazy need to settle down. Lets see how we do against the Chiefs, at home.

hillis is horrible. jerome is a very good back that sits too much on the f*ckn bench! why is he number one on the depthchart and only getting 9 carries? thats shows how f*cking bad the browns are and their coaching staff. jerome is great hillis suc*s

Who the xxxx are you ? Go away.

Hillis kicked serious ass in that game until the fumble in the red zone. That contributed to the loss, but we also wouldn't have put up 14 points without him.

The loss is on multiple people, not one, now stop head hunting and GTFO.

Hillis is a back that every team needs. Hard nosed, not afraid to put a hat on someone, and runs with authority. Reminds me of Alstot. Everyone is going to put the ball on the turf one time or another. I'm surprised he did so but it's only one game. As much football as I played in the past, you will fumble the ball from time to time. Some you can't get away from. You could have both hands on it and it still comes loose. I'm not cashing out on him yet because he's an intense player and we need someone like that. Jerome is great too and I can see them sharing the carries all year long. With saying that, then this goes to another item of establishing a consistent Offense.

I don't think the fumbles will limit his carries in the future unless it's a re-occurring event. To show confidence in a player after a bad game only will help them thrive and play harder while building on their current ability.

I like Hillis as much as everybody else in here. I think he is an animal and will do a great job grinding out yards and wearing out D's.

BUT I still don't understand what is going on with Harrison. How many times does this guy have to prove that he can run the ball in this league?

The guy basically carries the load the last part of the season where we were running all over people and actually winning games. We go into Tampa today, facing a defense that couldn't stop the run last year, (ya they add two new rookies to their DL...so what? Prove you can stop it now) and we hand the ball to Harrison 9 times and the guy rips off 52 yards and doesn't fumble. Hillis gets it 9 times for 41 and fumbles twice and we are all in here talking about how we would rather him carry the load for the team.

What's the downside to Harrison carrying the load?

Do we think Hillis has the same home run speed harrison does? (Ya I watched Hillis run down old man Ronde today, but I thought Ronde blew a hamsting he was running so slow after the first 30 yards. I actually heard the guy calling he game say "why is he slowing down?")

Is it because he is 5' 9" and only 205 pounds that he isn't allowed to be a feature back in this league? If that's the case, I just watched Jones-Drew at 5' 7' 206 get 23 touches today for 98 yards so I don't think that theory holds water.

Do the Brown's coaches all suffer from the same vision we do? For the past few years I've had to watch him sit behind Lewis, and when Lewis would go down for a game or two, Harrison would come in and rip off great games, and as soon as Lewis was back, it was right back to the same old 2 yard runs into the back of the OL.... WTF?

I'd love nothing more than to see Hillis and Harrison run for 1000 yards a piece this year. I just would like someone to explain to me what the taboo surrounding Harrison is, and why he is the odd man out. (And if it's because he put the ball on the ground in pre-season, and we are putting much faith in what preseason proves...) I know more than a few of you don't like Harrison and everytime he cuts a team up you have some excuse as to why he was able to do it, (Terrible run defense, Our Oline is so great that anybody could have done that) I'd like to know what you guys think he lacks as a runner? Is it the fact that he is a lacking pass blocker, so we can't let him run for 100+ yards a game cause he can't protect our QB long enough to launch our offensive aerial assault that we have?

I just hope we don't sit around and let his contract run out next year and watch him get picked up by a team where he turns into a perennial 1000 yard back and keep our fingers crossed that Hardesty can stay health.

(On a side note. RUN THE DAMN BALL DABOLL... moron...)

They aren't "excuses". They are valid points.

-JC had a great end of the season last year, I agree. I was cheering right along with everyone else. But at the same time, they were against weak defenses who had no outside shot at making the postseason and weren't playing for much. (That shows the caliber of class we showed in those last few games. We could have given up and scrapped the season, but we fought hard until the end.)

-His pass blocking is suspect at best, and with the stable of young, inexperienced receivers we have now, pass blocking becomes a massive issue.

-It's possible that the reason he broke off those big runs when he was backing up J.Lew is because everybody was used to a big, lumbering bear in our backfield. So when JC came in, he surprised them with his speed.

-He's not a prototypical sized runningback, you're right. He's undersized. MJD is an abberation, though.

JC is a great, speedy back. He breaks off huge runs that get people excited. But for every one big run he has, he's got four or five where he just does absolutely nothing. He hits the line and goes absolutely nowhere. That's his lack of size coming into play. It's great to watch those big runs, but it's those hardnosed runs up the middle that really take away from his appeal.

That's why everybody this year was pushing the RBBC. We needed a change of pace back. That's why we drafted Hardesty, and that's why we got Peyton Hillis in the offseason. If we go up against a fast defense that has JC stifled, Hillis can come in and pound the rock up the gut. If we play a defense that allows no holes up the middle, we sweep it to JC and let him work. It's all about gameplanning.

JC is a great back for his size. But he just doesn't have the weight or size to be an everydown back. And in no way is that a knock on him, it's something he can't help.

Who the xxxx are you ? Go away.

Hillis kicked serious ass in that game until the fumble in the red zone. That contributed to the loss, but we also wouldn't have put up 14 points without him.

The loss is on multiple people, not one, now stop head hunting and GTFO.

dont worry about who i am, hillis s*cks jerome is a beast,wanna lose keep hoping for water-boy hillis to have a good game, lmfao!

hillis is horrible. jerome is a very good back that sits too much on the f*ckn bench! why is he number one on the depthchart and only getting 9 carries? thats shows how f*cking bad the browns are and their coaching staff. jerome is great hillis suc*s

Your sig certainly does not fit what you write. The main thing is that we don't have to make a choice between Hillis and Harrison -- we've got them both. The only decision to be made is when to use which one. Now, go home, take your bottle, and don't come back until you are a big boy and really know what you are talking about.

Considering that Harrison put the ball on the carpet himself, I'd say that no one is getting benched for fumbling. I'd worry more about Harrison fumbling than Hillis. I would say that the only guy that needs to be benched is St. Clair (for Pashos) and that's about it until Lauvao comes back to reclaim his spot from Pork Chop.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/cleveland-browns/09000d5d81a7b146

he carries the ball too low.....leaves a larger sweet spot for d...Lesser teams have zero tolerence for TO's.......I think he will see limited action versus KC and rightfully so

Thanks, coach. We were all wondering what the problem was. We just didn't know where you were to give us the answer, But, if you are correct and Hillis is sitting, that is something you two will have in common. You won;t be playing and Holmgren and Mangini have not requested nor accepted your analysis,

hillis is a beast end of story, those of you calling for his head are of the same ignorant group that would bench Delhomme for a bad game or fire holmgren because we aren't champions yet. Some of you just make me sick. 7 teams that made it to the playoffs lost their opening game in this first week, shit happens we just learn from it, forget it, and move on. If backs were benched for fumbles adrian peterson would be nothing but a memory.

hillis is a beast end of story, those of you calling for his head are of the same ignorant group that would bench Delhomme for a bad game or fire holmgren because we aren't champions yet. Some of you just make me sick. 7 teams that made it to the playoffs lost their opening game in this first week, shit happens we just learn from it, forget it, and move on. If backs were benched for fumbles adrian peterson would be nothing but a memory.

Delhomme should be benched, he suc*s too

him and hillis are both terrible

Delhomme should be benched, he suc*s too

him and hillis are both terrible

Jerk, you are wearing out your welcome fast. Yammer Yammer Yammer. You really need to go home for a diaper change and come back AFTER you learn something - anything - about football.

You're down on Hillis because he fumbled. Would you please give me a list of rb's who have gone a season without any fumbles.

You are dissing Delhomme for 2 interceptions and a fumble. Granted that's not good, but would you please provide me a list of qb's who have gone a season with no fumbles or interceptions.

I'll wait for the lists. I'm sure you have them right at hand.

Hillis is a back that every team needs. Hard nosed, not afraid to put a hat on someone, and runs with authority. Reminds me of Alstot. Everyone is going to put the ball on the turf one time or another. I'm surprised he did so but it's only one game. As much football as I played in the past, you will fumble the ball from time to time. Some you can't get away from. You could have both hands on it and it still comes loose. I'm not cashing out on him yet because he's an intense player and we need someone like that. Jerome is great too and I can see them sharing the carries all year long. With saying that, then this goes to another item of establishing a consistent Offense.

I don't think the fumbles will limit his carries in the future unless it's a re-occurring event. To show confidence in a player after a bad game only will help them thrive and play harder while building on their current ability.

I agree, every team does need a guy like that. However, Hillis should not be touching the ball more than Harrison does. Harrison is a fine receiver, and since Delhomme can't throw the ball more than five yards without there being a good chance of it getting picked, why not get him more involved? They passed the ball to Hillis multiple times while Harrison was on the receiving end of one pass. I would think it would be a great way to get Harrison into space, which is where he excels.

It reminded me of the Monday night game with the most overated OC in the game, Weis, calling the Chiefs game. Keep giving the ball to Jones while not using Charles, who has the ability to make a big play.

You are dissing Delhomme for 2 interceptions and a fumble. Granted that's not good, but would you please provide me a list of qb's who have gone a season with no fumbles or interceptions.

Really?

Want to look at Delhomme's numbers. He is slightly better than last year when he threw a pick once every 17.8 attempts. This year it is at one every 18.5 attempts. He has also completed less than 60% of his passes the past three seasons - and it isn't because he didn't have weapons. He had one of the best receivers in the league AND one of the top two or three rushing attacks in the league. They stacked the box against him and he still couldn't complete passes.

Archived