THE BROWNS BOARD

MLB

Roy.E.Munson

In my opinion the biggest need on our Defence is MLB for a few reasons:

1.) You cant stop the run with 3 up front all the time! Shawn Rodgers is an animal but the front 3 are suppost to take up blockers alot of time and without 2 good MLB to tackle or bash heads in we are vonerable!

2.) It all starts up front and works back! If the linemen are not doing their job (im not implying that) then it makes the LB's job harder... likewise... if the MLB isn't doing their job the Safetys look bad. Im sure Poole and Jones wouyld love to have a dominate MLB to take care of the Middle of the field!

3.) We need Identity! Nothing gives a Defence identity and aditude (IMHO) Like a hard nosed, nasty, big hitting, smart MLB!!! look at Ray Lewis, Bran Urlacher.

I know we Have D'Qwell Who is cmming along very nicely... If many of you remember i have been a big fan of his for a while!

But I dont want the browns to be good... I want them to dominate!

I want that guard and center to wonder..."oh shit who is comming on the blitz... who do I block... that last hit hurt.... i cant take them both by myself!!!"

D'Qwell cant hold the middle by himself... mainly because this is not a 4-3. So, we need another MLB.

That being said...It seems that alot of people would prefer to draft Wells, Mays, Or Jennings.... I am fine with all of these!

But who do we look at for the MLB position then....

Do you guys have a later round choice? I am a fan of Matthews Jr. but he is a 2nd or 3rd round OLB!

Do we go FA? ... here are some choices:

Eric Barton, UFA, New York Jets

While Barton’s ’07 productionwas down, he was playing for a defense that didn’t get much help from the offensive unit. Brett Favre’s arrival has improved the offense, which has also helped alleviate pressure on the defense. Barton made 100 tackles and 4.5 sacks in ’06, probably his best season since he left Oakland, and he is on a similar pace this season with 73 tackles and 1.5 sacks through ten games. There are a fair amount of teams that could look to acquire Barton and save some money.

Ray Lewis, UFA, Baltimore Ravens

With over 1,500 tackles, 31 sacks, and 28 interceptions during his 13 seasons, Lewis isn’t just a Pro Bowl player and Super Bowl winner, but also a future Hall of Famer. Since entering the league, Lewis has been a force and helped the Ravens to be one of the league’s best defensive units year in and year out. He’s been in Baltimore his entire career so it’s hard to imagine him with another franchise. The Ravens will make him an offer that should lock him up until almost the end of his career and rumor has it that he is close to signing an extension.

Mike Peterson, UFA, Jacksonville Jaguars

Peterson had played in just 15 games over the course of the last two seasons, but he played ina ll but one game this season. When healthy, he is one of the better middle linebackers around. He has six seasons in triple-digit tackles and the three seasons he failed to reach that mark were injury-shortened years. In ’05, his most recent full season, he also had six sacks and three interceptions. His health concerns will scare some teams away, but Peterson may still have some quality seasons left in him.

Jonathan Vilma, UFA, New Orleans Saints

Vilma has returned from a serious injury and is making a good impression with his new team in New Orleans. He has 79 tackles and an interception through week eleven. Prior to his shortened ’07 season, Vilma had registered 108 tackles or more in three straight seasons, including 173 in ’05; he also has six interceptions in his four seasons of work. Vilma is quick to the ball and consistently makes the right play. At 26 years of age, he will be a point of interest for several teams if he hits the market.

non of these are good FA pickups. All are old, or not fit for 3-4 like Vilma.

You can find this as a UDFA. We might have something in Bell. Jackson isn't bad in coverage, but lets see what Bell can do before we go crazy over a MLB.

Too bad McGinnest was our best LB this year at getting pressure on the QB, 2nd being Alex Hall

non of these are good FA pickups. All are old, or not fit for 3-4 like Vilma.

You can find this as a UDFA. We might have something in Bell. Jackson isn't bad in coverage, but lets see what Bell can do before we go crazy over a MLB.

Too bad McGinnest was our best LB this year at getting pressure on the QB, 2nd being Alex Hall

If we switch to a 4-3, we have our MLB in Jackson. He is more of a prototype MLB then a 3-4 ILB. If we stay in the 3-4, ILB should be our #1 priority. But, you still need to get some pressure on the QB which is the main reason I believe we should switch to the 4-3 and take a DE and OLB in the draft.

Our line is all massive DTs. We have two speed rushing DE's in Wimbley and Hall. Both are out of position as OLBs in the 3-4. Williams could be a nice fit as a WSOLB in the 4-3 and backup at MLB for Jackson. Griffin actually could be a nice WSOLB in the 4-3 but he just doesn't fit in the 3-4.

Either way I try to go after Suggs because Balt can't afford to pay both him and Lewis this year.

Guest Aloysius

This season, Crowder's playing TED in a 3-4 defense. Bart Scott's playing MIKE. And Dansby can play pretty much anything.

I see no reason for excluding them. All of them are better 3-4 ILB fits than Vilma (albeit much more expensive).

Guest Aloysius
Who was that Larry guy I blurbed off of OBR, Al? I know you've brought him up again.

Larry English of Northern Illinois. In this clip, Mike Mayock compares English to LaMarr Woodley.

I watched a little of N. Illinois' game against Navy, and I was a bit disappointed with English's read/react and change of direction skills. He may be a little tight-hipped for playing 3-4 OLB.

Then again, people said the same thing about Woodley. This is from nfldraftscout's scouting report of Woodley:

Might have the size and experience at linebacker, but even when playing that position, he was pulled in obvious passing situations (struggles getting good depth in his drops)...Has a great motor, but will sometimes get too out of control and over-pursue...Has good lateral range, but looks sluggish opening his hips through transition.

A lot will depend on how English looks in linebacker drills at the Senior Bowl & measures out at the Combine.

But even if he's not the most agile guy, he's definitely proven himself as a pass-rusher:

Archived