THE BROWNS BOARD

Koran-burning plan draws worldwide condemnation

KABUL (Reuters) – Afghan police went on alert on Wednesday to guard against demonstrations triggered by a U.S. church's plan to burn a copy of the Koran on the anniversary of the September 11 attacks which has drawn global condemnation.

Tension has risen with the approach of the ninth anniversary on Saturday of the September 11 hijacked airliner attacks on the United States and the end of the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan. Eid al-Fitr is expected to be celebrated on Thursday or Friday.

Plans by Terry Jones, the pastor of a small church in Gainesville, Florida, to burn a copy of the holy Muslim book have added to what U.S. religious leaders have described as an "anti-Muslim frenzy."

The United Nations said such an act would be "abhorrent."

"On behalf of the United Nations and the whole international community present in Afghanistan, I would like to express in the strongest possible terms our concern and indeed outrage at the announcement by a small religious group abroad of their intention to burn copies of the holy book of the Koran," United Nations envoy Staffan de Mastura said in a statement issued in Kabul.

The planned Koran-burning by the Dove World Outreach Center sparked protests by several hundred Afghans in Kabul this week, mostly students from religious schools. Gathered outside a mosque in the Afghan capital, they chanted "Death to America."

A senior police official in Kabul, who asked not to be identified, said an Interior Ministry anti-demonstration unit had been put on high alert on Wednesday in case protests broke out.

DEADLY PROTESTS

There have been frequent protests in the past over similar incidents. In 2006, about a dozen people were killed in violent protests in Kabul after a Danish newspaper published cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammad and a similar number died in another protest a year earlier.

Last January, Afghan troops shot and killed eight protesters and wounded 13 in southern Helmand province during a riot triggered by the reported desecration of a Koran.

Two of the top U.S. commanders in Afghanistan have said the Florida church's plan risked undermining U.S. President Barack Obama's efforts to reach out to the world's 1.5 billion Muslims.

The White House and the State Department have also issued stern warnings, making it clear Obama's administration deplored the plan.

General David Petraeus, the commander of U.S. and NATO forces in Afghanistan, said the plan could trigger retaliation against U.S. forces in Afghanistan.

"It could endanger troops and it could endanger the overall effort," Petraeus said in a statement this week.

Petraeus commands almost 150,000 foreign troops in Afghanistan, where violence is at its worst since U.S.-backed Afghan forces toppled the Taliban in late 2001.

The Taliban government was ousted soon after the September 11 attacks for harboring al Qaeda leaders including Osama bin Laden.

On Wednesday, the Vatican added to world condemnation of the planned Koran burning.

"These deplorable acts of violence, in fact, cannot be counteracted by an outrageous and grave gesture against a book considered sacred by a religious community," the Vatican said in a statement.

"Each religion, with its respective sacred books, places of worship and symbols, has the right to respect and protection."

Germany's leading Jewish group joined the chorus of condemnation, saying it evoked the mass killing of Jews in the Holocaust that followed Nazi book burnings.

"The idea is terrible and repulsive," said Charlotte Knobloch, president of Germany's Central Council of Jews.

In Pakistan, actress Angelina Jolie said she "hardly had the words" to express her opposition.

The Oscar-winning actress was in Pakistan to highlight the plight of millions of people devastated by Pakistan's worst-ever floods.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

suprise: one religion burns anothers religions books?

Jeez not much has changed in 2000 years!

It's stupid on both ends. World outrage over some hillbillys burning a book? dozens dying because of a cartoon ..really very distrubing?

I think everyone should smoke a J and watch south park...calm down a bit.

I can't really believe they are actually GOING to burn Korans.

I mean. surely they have some other kind of stupid "message" to be sent.

But according to the libs, it's "freedom of speech" unlimited.

I disagree.

I find it to be very strange, that out there in Afghanistan, these riots immediately

break out, with the media perfectly in attendence, with all sorts of signs already made...

It's contrived, for propaganda to the world media. This asinine book burning is hate speech acted out,

if it had taken place.

So is the burning of crosses. So is the building of the CORDOBA mosque at Ground Zero.

Of course, you've got this all wrong.

First of all, of course he has the First Amendment right to burn the Koran. No one is suggesting that he doesn't. Except you, apparently. This isn't about whether or not he has the right to do it. It's about whether he should, and what the consequences are if he does.

Secondly, the protests in Afghanistan pre-dated the media circus in America. We live in the age of the internet and worldwide communications. Muslims in Asia have the internet, too. They were on this story before most Americans were. In fact, the reason General Petraeus commented on the story so early was that he was already dealing with protests about it in Afghanistan - before most Americans even knew what the story was about.

"At that time, the Quran burning had already been treated as a major story in the media in the Muslim world for several weeks. In other words, since at least late July, when it started to get attention in some Muslim-majority countries, the story has been doing untold damage to America's reputation."

Third, how can you equate the public book burning of the Muslim holy book and the cross-burning of the Klu Klux Klan to a group of moderate Sufi Muslims/Americans who want to build a mosque/community center in Manhattan, on land that they own?

Well, we know how you can do that. Because you're lost, and you think "Cordoba" means something that it doesn't, and because, well, you're lost.

Next time, just spare us the lecture about your principles, and your love of the Constitution. Obviously, when it comes to the Constitution, yours - like so many on the right - is a marriage of convenience, born out of ignorance of what's actually in the document, and what it means.

Thank you ! For being an idiot ! You prove me absolutely correct every time !

I POSTED the history of Cordoba, Heck. You didn't have the nads to read it, perhaps?

I POSTED a followup, to show my concern. It wasn't my stuff, it was straight from those who know.

I'm saying a KKK burned cross, a "FIRE" yelled iin a theater, the Korans burned, and the CORDOBA mosque

being built at GROUND ZERO by this NUTJOB, are the same thing, - the intent to cause alarm, fear, anger

and terror. It's hate speech acted out.

Sorry, Heck, but you can't come on here and pick and choose when "hate speech" is relevant and makes YOU happy.

It's a principle. BTW, you are a sorry excuse for a PSUEDO-intellectual. Did you know that this imam and co. changed

the name of the community center from "CORDOBA"?

They renamed it "Park51". You know?

They know why they did it. I guess your claim that the concern here over the name is just here.

You really are a pitiful, ignorant fool. Go read a book, read up on what you're talking about.

And please stop licking Obamao's toes. No wonder you tend to "throw up in my throat"

Because, the loser you support for pres, is a puke. @@

If only the media wouldn't of gave this guy what he wants (attention) nobody would of known he was going to do it execpt for the 32 people that attend his church. (Hmm wonder why he want's attention? maybe they're going to repo his car so he needs more donations?) What's funny is they showed muslims chanting "death to America" on tv and tried to blame it on this guy but most of us know that it's been going on once a week for the last 20 years. I wonder why the media fails to tell everyone that and just lets them believe that they are doing it because of this one man.

What? Our soldiers weren't allowed to have live ammo?

WHAT? I didn't hear that...

That's sick. They died just so Obamao could try to save face on his

"combat troops are all gone out of Iraq" farce?

Be proud, Heck, of your worthless, dangerous president marxist college man.

But it makes NO sense to me. Obamao is a disgrace to our country, to our troops,

to our flag, our Constitution... to our future.

Burning Bibles or flags - something which rarely happens stateside anyway - doesn't put American soldiers in greater danger, doesn't help terrorists recruit new members, and it doesn't make the war effort more difficult. If publicly burning the Koran did none of these things, I wouldn't give a shit. But it does do those things.

Most on the left don't overreact to the burning of symbols the way the right does. Or Muslims do. It's free speech. It's also cheap speech. It says next to nothing, and it's tired. That's why most people on the left don't care.

But you got your "the left hates Christians and America" swipe in. Congrats.

Dang Heck, nothing about free speech?

I think that 911 alone was big enough for recruitment, from all of these muslims who are on jihad against Americans and America. Burning the Quran doesnt mean crap to these thugs, they want to kill all Christians and Jews no matter what you say or do. They preach the religion of hate and murder and want to bully the world with it.

You do not try and befriend wacko extremists, or you will become slaves to these bullies.

Burning Bibles or flags - something which rarely happens stateside anyway - doesn't put American soldiers in greater danger, doesn't help terrorists recruit new members, and it doesn't make the war effort more difficult. If publicly burning the Koran did none of these things, I wouldn't give a shit. But it does do those things.

Most on the left don't overreact to the burning of symbols the way the right does. Or Muslims do. It's free speech. It's also cheap speech. It says next to nothing, and it's tired. That's why most people on the left don't care.

But you got your "the left hates Christians and America" swipe in. Congrats.

Aww shucks Heck, you don't have to congratulate me on stating the obvious.

And I wonder why you took offense...<G>

But since you point out that we need to be careful about constitutionally protected shitty behavior because Muslims are too frigging crazy to deal with it, I tend to agree.

And you got your shot in at Christians! Good for you.

Still I must have missed the worldwide Christian rampage when the govt (through the NEA) sponsored the Jesus in a urine bottle "art" display.

Ya suppose you'd support a Moe Hamad in the toilet display?

WSS

But since you point out that we need to be careful about constitutionally protected shitty behavior because Muslims are too frigging crazy to deal with it, I tend to agree.

Exactly. Burn a bible in some muslem city, I don't think that Catholics are going to do suicide bombings against Muslems in the world. But vice versa?

Aww shucks Heck, you don't have to congratulate me on stating the obvious.

And I wonder why you took offense...<G>

And you got your shot in at Christians! Good for you.

Still I must have missed the worldwide Christian rampage when the govt (through the NEA) sponsored the Jesus in a urine bottle "art" display.

Ya suppose you'd support a Moe Hamad in the toilet display?

WSS

I would, yes. Is it good? Insightful? Trenchant? Then maybe I'd even buy a ticket. But it probably isn't. Just as I stated that the pastor obviously has the right to burn a Koran, but that's not that interesting a comment either. It's about as far away as interesting as you can get.

There's lots of kinds of art, and I don't think most of it is very good. I'm pretty sure I'd rather listen to your act than go see an image of Mohammed in the toilet. I don't think Piss Christ was very interesting either. Whether or not that stuff should be funded by government is a legitimate discussion. Personally, I would rather not constrain artists by what someone might be offended by. Some of the best art is offensive in some way. We don't need more Thomas Kincaids and Michael Boltons, after all.

But yes, the Muslims in general need to have their reformation. The way they react to this stuff, and the cartoon stuff, is just backward. It just is.

I would, yes. Is it good? Insightful? Trenchant? Then maybe I'd even buy a ticket. But it probably isn't. There's lots of kinds of art, and I don't think most of it is very good.

True enough.

So you don't suppose that the news on Al Jezeera or MSNBC that the US government pays for Mo in the 'To would incite Muslims to kill Americans?

I thought that was your beef.

Just as I stated that the pastor obviously has the right to burn a Koran.

F*ck him

To your other "point" about the rarity it's because it's a meaningless gesture in the modern world.

Centuries ago burning a cultures written history meant something.

Now not really.

WSS

Oh, of course it would incite them. But we don't cancel our rights because they might get mad and break some shit/kill some people. That's called intimidation.

The point is whether it's something worth doing. And burning a Koran to "send them a message" is beyond dumb. This man has nothing to add, obviously. He really thinks that fundamentalist Islam doesn't get the message from the 150,000 troops and the daily drone attacks, but will from his little book burning in Gainesville. He's a moron with a small congregation of like-minded simpletons.

As for your last part, I can't tell if you're arguing that things were better centuries ago; if you think it should mean something to burn a Bible or Koran, and you're sad that doing so, even rarely, doesn't make people more angry.

Personally, in the post-printing press era, I really don't give a shit.

It is illegal to yell "FIRE" in a crowded theater.

Not just annoying. Illegal.

It is the deliberate abuse of a freedom. With freedom comes RESPONSIBILITY.

One person's freedom ends at the doorstep of another's freedom...

or none of us would be free at all.

Leftists think THEIR freedom is the right to stop all over other's freedoms.

Oh, of course it would incite them. But we don't cancel our rights because they might get mad and break some shit/kill some people. That's called intimidation.

So you're saying the pastor should go ahead with the Koran burning and Petraeus is wrong?

The point is whether it's something worth doing. And burning a Koran to "send them a message" is beyond dumb.

It's f*cked up.

This man has nothing to add, obviously. He really thinks that fundamentalist Islam doesn't get the message from the 150,000 troops and the daily drone attacks, but will from his little book burning in Gainesville. He's a moron with a small congregation of like-minded simpletons.

And.....?

As for your last part, I can't tell if you're arguing that things were better centuries ago; if you think it should mean something to burn a Bible or Koran, and you're sad that doing so, even rarely, doesn't make people more angry.

That's what you took from what I said? Should I say "Whaaaa?"

Personally, in the post-printing press era, I really don't give a shit.

Do you think the new Mosque is being built for bringing people together or to offend people?

Or profit for this neo carpetbagging Imam?

Be bold Heck.

You're wearing Obama's suit.

Ask em nicely to movie it or not?

WSS

I don't feel the need to move it at all. I agree with the guy that the site is not "hallowed ground." It isn't. Anyone who has ever stood there - and isn't using this as fuel - would agree. I was there last month. It's an out-of-business Burlington Coat Factory in a neighborhood with strip clubs and gay bars. In my opinion, this controversy is completely without cause. Yet another distraction to worry the eternally afraid. Once this project is allowed to go forward, you'll never hear anything about it again. We'll move on to something else about anchor babies, or the next Shirley Sherrod/Van Jones/Rev. Wright, or whatever other "threat" the fringe digs up and wastes our time with.

As for the Imam, his secret nefarious intentions are yet to be revealed to me. Seems like he's trying to make the Muslim version of a YMCA to me.

As for the pastor, I've already typed what I think. There's no reason to affect the war effort in order to make that statement. It's not worth making.

And it's not my fault when I can't glean what you mean. You don't write very well, so it makes it difficult. Sounded like you missed the old days when a "culture's written history meant something."

Heck, for all your arrogant self-appointed superiority, you keep sounding like a fool.

Just once, I would like to see you actually explain WHY you won't take a stand on anything.

It's ALWAYS attacking any stand that anybody else takes. Makes you feel like a man or something,

to just attack? and never offer any stance of your own? Why is it you libs tend to do this across the board?

You really want to take the imam's point about "hallowed" ??? That word isn't necessarily the

word to use, but the area, but here is our point:

Just because the Alamo had a movie theater, etc, on the street, doesn't take

away from the historical significance of the Alamo.

Now, Ground Zero, is a gigantic historical event. So is the Cordoba mosque. In this case,

this radical imam has terrorist group ties, and his close friend, Khan, is a vile, nutjob 9/11 truther.

They both support a "one state solution". Which means, Israel goes away, and a Palestinian state takes it's place.

So, building a CORDOBA mosque THERE? Priceless, to the fund raising and recruitment of terrorists around the world.

Here's more information about the concerns of building a mosque by THIS RADICAL IMAM, at THIS VERY SPECIAL,

EMOTIONALLY OVERWHELMING SITE:

I don't feel the need to move it at all. I agree with the guy that the site is not "hallowed ground." It isn't. Anyone who has ever stood there - and isn't using this as fuel - would agree. I was there last month. It's an out-of-business Burlington Coat Factory in a neighborhood with strip clubs and gay bars.

At least you had a reason to go. Strip clubs AND gay bars!!!

In my opinion, this controversy is completely without cause. Yet another distraction to worry the eternally afraid.

I'd say Americans are rightly offended, yet I'm in agreement that it's not time to allow indignation to trump the constitution.

That's been the MO of the left up to now.

And it's not the eternally afraid that annoys me.

It's those who strive to offend at every turn.

There should be a point where one admits something can be wrong and legal.

Once this project is allowed to go forward, you'll never hear anything about it again. We'll move on to something else about anchor babies, or the next Shirley Sherrod/Van Jones/Rev. Wright, or whatever other "threat" the fringe digs up and wastes our time with.

Awww gee Heck.

You mad because somebody was mean to your buddy Van again?

As for the Imam, his secret nefarious intentions are yet to be revealed to me. Seems like he's trying to make the Muslim version of a YMCA to me.

I'm sure it's only to promote peace and harmony.

As for the pastor, I've already typed what I think. There's no reason to affect the war effort in order to make that statement. It's not worth making.

Too bad it isn't the NYT doing their best to sabotage the war effort. Seems you were all for that.

And it's not my fault when I can't glean what you mean. You don't write very well, so it makes it difficult.

Hey that might be the reason.

Or maybe you're pretending not to get it.

Or maybe you just aren't that smart.

My money's on 2 or 3.

Sounded like you missed the old days when a "culture's written history meant something."

Just keep thinking.

You'll figure it out.

WSS

And what are Americans rightly offended by? The fact that the guy got a good deal on a building because the street is full of empty storefronts? The fact that he's a Muslim? The fact that it's really not at Ground Zero?

I don't see what's offensive. That's the whole point. I'm not offended at all. Because there's nothing I can find that's offensive.

And your NYT analogy doesn't work, of course. One was about potential illegal/criminal activity by the administration, and the other is about a yahoo in Gainesville. I want to know about the first, and don't care so much about the second.

Archived