THE BROWNS BOARD

Colt McCoy is on the Browns’ roster bubble

BrownIndian

Sorry to say Colt McCoy is not NFL material. He's to small and has no down field vision. The pros are a lot different than college. I say cut him.

I fixed your "Too Small" font for ya.:) Too small as a qb? :lol: True, McCoy doesn't have prototypical size. 6'1". But there's a QB who's an inch shorter, and 5 pounds lighter than McCoy that won the Super Bowl last year- Drew Brees. Brian Sipe was roughly the same height IIRC. Cripe sakes, Seneca Wallace is only 5'11", how on earth has he lasted this long in the big bad NFL? And I couldn't believe it- but was roster hopping for more ammo- you know who's only an inch taller than McCoy? Bret Favre- he doesn't seem to have much trouble seeing downfield. You don't need to be 6'6" to be a great qb.

Sheeze, a handful of series, and you want to put the Colt out to pasture?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dunno what people expect out of rookie QBs when they are thrown in with 3rd unit offensive linemen and WRs that cant block or catch to save their lives...mccoy is still trying to adjust to the speed and complication of the pro game and isnt getting the time to make the reads he has learned or even breathe as far as that goes..

The same could be said for ratliff as well but he isnt a rookie and he supposedly fully understands mangini's system..i believe a choice for mangini between ratty and colty is a simple one...ratty just sucks and the rookie hasnt yet been properly phased in or evaluated..

We have our 2 aging veteran QBs for now and if the regime determines colt isnt the guy then they should trade him now to give him a chance to play somewhere else ratty needs to be let go period...he will most likely not be picked up by anyone so his career in the nfl will be effectively and rightfully over..

If the unthinkable happened and we had to bring in the 3rd QB, I would rather see a rookie making mistakes and finding out if he has what it takes as opposed to watching a guy like rattlif whom we know doesnt have what it takes stinking up the field with worse than DA type inconsistent play..

Still ripping on DA Gips? Whats your effing problem.

It doesnt matter if that 3rd rookie QB is colt mccoy or sam bradford or jimmy clausen as far as im concerned thats just how it should be...

After reading more of this I have to sit back and say that History should be our teacher here.. How many quarterbacks have we seen step right out of college, land on one of the worst teams, and be successful that year. There are have been a few that have come in on a team that is moving forward, like Sanchez and the Jets. But History should tell us that there have been several QB that have sat back, watched and learned, and made a successful transition to the starting role.

But we also have to remember, that the success they enjoyed and had was based on a strong supporting cast. As it has been stated, you could put any QB behind a 3rd string OL and they will suck cause they have no time to read the field, and on top of that, do they have quality recievers to throw too.

I don't expect much of McCoy now... and none of us should and none of us should be picking up stones because He is where he is at for a reason, and I am sitting behind this desk posting my opinion for a reason. McCoy has potential. I'm 34 and out of shape.

Who are we to judge his potential yet.

2 preseason games and colt should be cut? :wacko: does anybody really believe that? and i hope ratliff isn't going to be the browns 3rd string qb. bring in someone else, if that's the case. other than looking good against the browns pathetic 3rd stringers in a meaningless preseason game back in 08, ratliff hasn't done crap.

I told everyone before the draft McCoy wasnt going to be a good pro QB i just didnt see it the guy is tiny and has no arm whatsoever. While Cluasen looks the part and has plenty of arm for the nfl. Cluasen while may not be the next Manning will be solid and start right out of the gate. However, i didnt want Cluasen either and would rather wait till next year to draft a QB. Ryan Mallet we should go for to all extremes while im not sure that he'll turn out to be a great QB i have a strong feeling he will at least be a good one and could turn out to be great. Im still pissed that we could have used that 3rd round pick that we traded away Wimbley for and got something much more useful than McCoy. Big time mistake by Holmgren! He even said he pulled his card on this one and made them draft McCoy. Shame on you Mike!

With that said I dont mind them hanging on to McCoy, the damage has been done, ride it out and see what he can do for a year.However, I can almost guarantee the guy wont amount to jack he just doesnt have what it takes to be a good QB in the NFL, career back up ala Brady Quinn, maybe?

2 preseason games and colt should be cut? :wacko: does anybody really believe that? and i hope ratliff isn't going to be the browns 3rd string qb. bring in someone else, if that's the case. other than looking good against the browns pathetic 3rd stringers in a meaningless preseason game back in 08, ratliff hasn't done crap.

If they cut McCoy it wont haven anything to do with Ratlif. I dont see Ratlif making it on another teams roster. If he's cut he'll go practice squad. Its more about keeping the guys who wil get picked up. Which are, Veikune who needs to develope and one of Davis or Jennings who'll also get picked up quick if they are cut.

Sorry to say Colt McCoy is not NFL material. He's to small and has no down field vision. The pros are a lot different than college. I say cut him.

I guess they should fire Holmgren for drafting him and replace him with you while they are at it. WORST FIRST POST EVER IF NOT A STOOLER TROLL, or are you??

By the way you aren't Browns Board material either.

If they cut McCoy it wont haven anything to do with Ratlif. I dont see Ratlif making it on another teams roster. If he's cut he'll go practice squad. Its more about keeping the guys who wil get picked up. Which are, Veikune who needs to develope and one of Davis or Jennings who'll also get picked up quick if they are cut.

why would the browns even want to put ratliff on the practice squad? he might have been in the nfl too long to do that, anyways. ratliff sucks, what would be the point of putting him on the ps???

edit: holmgren, heckert and mangini are going to give colt a fair amount of time to show whether or not he has it. that fair amount of time will be alot more than a couple of preseason games. they'll find out if colt has it or not by doing things the right way. and LMAO@you for "scolding" holmgren for getting colt. get off of your high horse, mr. fantasy gm.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...t_mccoy_wi.html

BEREA, Ohio — Barring an unforeseen circumstance, rookie quarterback Colt McCoy will make the Browns' final roster, a league source said.

McCoy, who was drafted in the third round out of Texas when Browns President Mike Holmgren stepped in and made the decision to do so, is a developmental project who was never expected to play this season.

The Browns brought him in to learn behind Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace, and that's exactly what he's been doing. Against the Rams on Saturday, McCoy took a total of six snaps in the fourth quarter, going three-and-out on his two drives. He was sacked twice on his first drive and went 0-for-2 on his second.

In his previous two outings -- the brown-white scrimmage and the Green Bay game -- McCoy threw four interceptions. Overall, he's completed 5 of 12 attempts for 25 yards with no TDs and two picks for a dismal 9.7 rating. But coach Eric Mangini chalked it up to rookie growing pains.

"I think you saw that with [the Rams' Sam] Bradford [saturday night]. It's confusing. A lot of stuff happens here that you haven't faced. It's faster, ev erybody's good and it takes some time for things to slow down, especially at that spot because you have so much responsibility.

"He [McCoy] was in one system at a pretty high comfort level for a long time and now he's thrust into another system with a very different practice pattern. It's not the easiest thing in the world to do, but to his credit, he works consistently. He doesn't get flustered by it. He's done a nice job with Jake and Seneca, seeking out their guidance. It's a hard transition."

The real issue at quarterback is whether or not Mangini decides to keep Brett Ratliff and McCoy.

"We have kept four in the past," said Mangini. "Quarterbacks are really valuable. Someone is always looking for one at some point. If you have an abundance of them, usually you can get real value for them if you are willing to move on from them. I've kept four and I've been on teams that have kept two."

Despite encouraging words last week from Holmgren when they visited during practice at his golf cart, McCoy isn't taking anything for granted.

"All of the guys that are in that last group are all trying to make the team," said McCoy. "We're all trying to fight hard, and we've got to do a better job of executing when we go in as a unit."

He said he's had to win spots before.

"In college, I had to earn a job my freshman year," said McCoy. "I had to compete with Jevan Snead, and that was back and forth. They didn't name a starter until the first game.

"I try to go to practice every day like somebody's coming to take my spot. I don't want anybody to. That's kind of my mentality. You go into practice each day not wanting somebody to come up and catch you from behind. You're always working and trying to get better."

Fortunately for McCoy, Mangini said he'll play "a ton of time" in the fourth preseason game, as will Ratliff.

"That's great," said McCoy. "I'm looking forward to it. It'd be fun. But I don't feel pressure. I just go out and play the best I can."

McCoy said he's trying to make the best of his limited reps in practice and games.

"It's hard. For instance, like last week you get six plays, you watch those over and over to see what you could've done better," he said. "It's just really not getting down in times like that, just really understanding that 'Hey, we're all out there for the first time.' "

He said he can't evaluate what the transition is like because "I really haven't played enough to tell yet. The situation that I'm in, it is what it is. I've got two great guys in front of me that I can learn from and I'm just really trying to soak that in."

________________________________________________________________________________

the line i highlighted says it all. a qb who was brought in to be a developmental project isn't going to get cut after a few preseason games and he wasn't brought in to start right away. i'm sure developmental project refers to something that will last more than one season.

my guess is that someone in the media was just trying to create a controversy because controversy sells and some cleveland fans are quick to believe the first thing they hear and the worst thing they hear.

McCoy will be with the Browns this season. They will give him a fair shake. He didn't hold out. I have a feeling he may be a bust though.

it's hard for me to assess colt right now. he didn't have a chance last saturday. the oline was depleted, due to injuries and colt was stuck with the worst of the worst to block for him. he had no time at all to throw. i'm just glad they're not going to throw him out there to the wolves. he'll get a fair chance and we'll see what happens.

Yeah they won't cut Mccoy.

I thought Ratty did a decent job in the 2 minute offense in the first game though. I'd like to see McCoy at least get comfortable enough that he can go in and manage a game this year if we end up down to our third quarterback.

Zombo

Yeah they won't cut Mccoy.

I thought Ratty did a decent job in the 2 minute offense in the first game though. I'd like to see McCoy at least get comfortable enough that he can go in and manage a game this year if we end up down to our third quarterback.

Zombo

Is any of his sub 7million dollar deal guarenteed?? (McCoy)

I told everyone before the draft McCoy wasnt going to be a good pro QB i just didnt see it the guy is tiny and has no arm whatsoever. While Cluasen looks the part and has plenty of arm for the nfl. Cluasen while may not be the next Manning will be solid and start right out of the gate. However, i didnt want Cluasen either and would rather wait till next year to draft a QB. Ryan Mallet we should go for to all extremes while im not sure that he'll turn out to be a great QB i have a strong feeling he will at least be a good one and could turn out to be great. Im still pissed that we could have used that 3rd round pick that we traded away Wimbley for and got something much more useful than McCoy. Big time mistake by Holmgren! He even said he pulled his card on this one and made them draft McCoy. Shame on you Mike!

With that said I dont mind them hanging on to McCoy, the damage has been done, ride it out and see what he can do for a year.However, I can almost guarantee the guy wont amount to jack he just doesnt have what it takes to be a good QB in the NFL, career back up ala Brady Quinn, maybe?

Sure, do you think Holmgren- who's coached Montana, Young, Favre, and Hasselbeck would have bothered drafting McCoy if he didn't think the guy had any potential? Really? I'd say Holmie has a fair to middling idea of what a decent quarterback looks like. BTW, you must have missed my previous rant in that "Tiny" McCoy is taller than Drew Brees, and only an inch shorter than Montana (Super Joe really had a rocket launcher arm- NOT!) and Favre.

McCoy will be with the Browns this season. They will give him a fair shake. He didn't hold out. I have a feeling he may be a bust though.

I agree, but if Colt does fail, it will hardly be a bust, because he was just a 3rd round pick, that fell right to us. While I don't want to see a 3rd round pick fail, in reality, he just might. He reminds me a lot of Eric Zeier.

why would the browns even want to put ratliff on the practice squad? he might have been in the nfl too long to do that, anyways. ratliff sucks, what would be the point of putting him on the ps???

edit: holmgren, heckert and mangini are going to give colt a fair amount of time to show whether or not he has it. that fair amount of time will be alot more than a couple of preseason games. they'll find out if colt has it or not by doing things the right way. and LMAO@you for "scolding" holmgren for getting colt. get off of your high horse, mr. fantasy gm.

My point was that Holmgren is the president NOT the gm it was stated and is obvious that the draft board didnt want McCoy! Holmgren had his shot at drafting in Seattle and was horrible thats why we have Heckert. Let the man do his job! And as for you buddy, keep dreaming that McCoy is going to be the Browns savior. I'll be sure to dig this thread up when he's the next Charlie Fry to rub your nose in Mr. ThinkIKnowEverything! However, you can bet we'll be drafting a QB in round 1 or 2 next year that will be the future of this team, theres too much talent not to.

And as i said, the damage has been done, we gave up Wimbley for McCoy now they have to sit back and evaluate his water pistol arm for the next year!

it's hard for me to assess colt right now. he didn't have a chance last saturday. the oline was depleted, due to injuries and colt was stuck with the worst of the worst to block for him. he had no time at all to throw. i'm just glad they're not going to throw him out there to the wolves. he'll get a fair chance and we'll see what happens.

What is there to asses? You have all you need in his college footage. He was a system QB at Texas that was fairly mobile with a noodle for an arm! Much like Quinn yet Quinn has a much stronger arm and thats not saying a whole lot.

Sure, do you think Holmgren- who's coached Montana, Young, Favre, and Hasselbeck would have bothered drafting McCoy if he didn't think the guy had any potential? Really? I'd say Holmie has a fair to middling idea of what a decent quarterback looks like. BTW, you must have missed my previous rant in that "Tiny" McCoy is taller than Drew Brees, and only an inch shorter than Montana (Super Joe really had a rocket launcher arm- NOT!) and Favre.

Its getting old hearing people comparing Brees height. Brees is not the norm in todays NFL as montana and many other QBs were small in the 80s. Its pretty obvious the guys that are coming out that look like the real deal are the Ryans, Staffords, etc and before them Rivers, Shaub, Big Gay Ben. All with big arms who stand tall in the pocket. Please don't compare Brees, Colt McCoy will never sniff his jockstrap!

I agree, but if Colt does fail, it will hardly be a bust, because he was just a 3rd round pick, that fell right to us. While I don't want to see a 3rd round pick fail, in reality, he just might. He reminds me a lot of Eric Zeier.

Thats a very good comparison. I just hate that we could of gotten something more useful in his place and not wasted a roster spot that will contribute nothing this whole year and most likely nothing ever in a deep draft where there were a lot of good players still to be had. All of this while we really have no outside pass rush threat at least Wimbley had some skill.

I agree and disagree.

I really agree in that to me it is hard to classify a 3rd round QB a bust since most 3rd round QB's don't end up as solid starters. Most manage back-up careers at best, so if Colt ends up with a 10 year back-up career, he met his level of talent.

I disagree in that with all the hype many of the fans have placed on the guy it is almost inevitable the guy busts out.

It's like I can't call Beau Bell a bust. He was a 4th round pick out of a minor school who with his learning disability talked and thought on maybe the level of a 6th grader, yet we have people like Shep who claimed he was this big bruising thumper in the middle who was going to take the NFL by storm.

That isn't a knock on Shep. It simply illustrates how expectations the fans place on players end up with the bust label being applied.

And as for you buddy, keep dreaming that McCoy is going to be the Browns savior. I'll be sure to dig this thread up when he's the next Charlie Fry to rub your nose in Mr. ThinkIKnowEverything!

if you're going to quote my post, why don't you try to read it and actually comprehend what i'm saying first before you respond to it. no where in my post (or anything i've ever posted in regards to colt) did i say or imply that colt is the savior. i did say that colt will be given a fair chance to show whether he has it or not. that doesn't mean that he's the savior. that doesn't mean that he's going to be good. that just means the new browns fo does things the right way and they aren't knee jerk reacting types that are quick to cut a rookie after a few series in a preseason game. all that i ever said was that colt will be allowed to show if he's a good qb or a bad one and 2 preseason games isn't enough to determine that.

anyone who says or thinks the browns should cut colt after 2 bad outings in his first real game action as a rookie, represent the same dysfunctional thinking and decision making that has made the browns a failure since 99. i'm glad the people that are paid to make the decisions in berea don't think like that!

btw, you're the one acting like mr. know it all. pounding on your chest telling everybody that you told us colt was going to be a bust. you're the type of person who's more concerned with self promotion and being a "i told you so" fan than wanting a rookie to succeed. you're actually hoping colt fails so you can come to this board and scream, "look at me, look what i did! i was right, see i told you guys!"

whether colt is a bust or a success remains to be seen, regardless of what your magic crystal ball tells you.

Don't know if anyone caught this, but Mangini seemed extremely pissed at McCoy after the last play of the game...something about him throwing it out of bounds.

I wont read into it too much but it was very clear something was going on.

He should be....I think he wanted him to ground the ball for a called play.

Then he makes it a dead play on a Hail Mary 6 yards out of bounds???

How is that anything but bad???

At least give you players a chance to make a play.

That's my theory.

if you're going to quote my post, why don't you try to read it and actually comprehend what i'm saying first before you respond to it. no where in my post (or anything i've ever posted in regards to colt) did i say or imply that colt is the savior. i did say that colt will be given a fair chance to show whether he has it or not. that doesn't mean that he's the savior. that doesn't mean that he's going to be good. that just means the new browns fo does things the right way and they aren't knee jerk reacting types that are quick to cut a rookie after a few series in a preseason game. all that i ever said was that colt will be allowed to show if he's a good qb or a bad one and 2 preseason games isn't enough to determine that.

anyone who says or thinks the browns should cut colt after 2 bad outings in his first real game action as a rookie, represent the same dysfunctional thinking and decision making that has made the browns a failure since 99. i'm glad the people that are paid to make the decisions in berea don't think like that!

btw, you're the one acting like mr. know it all. pounding on your chest telling everybody that you told us colt was going to be a bust. you're the type of person who's more concerned with self promotion and being a "i told you so" fan than wanting a rookie to succeed. you're actually hoping colt fails so you can come to this board and scream, "look at me, look what i did! i was right, see i told you guys!"

whether colt is a bust or a success remains to be seen, regardless of what your magic crystal ball tells you.

I'm not concerned with self promotion or being an "i told you so" fan. This is a public forum it's all about "beating our chests" and making our point. Isn't that why we're all here? If you don't like my view point than don't respond to it! As for Colt getting a fair chance? Yeah, sure, the damage has been done it will happen now regardless of how horrible he is this year. As for wanting to see Colt fail you're wrong, thats not something i want to see just something i know is gonna happen, remember I do have "crystal balls". Colt is what he is a guy we could have drafted in the 4th or 5th round who's been classified by virtually every scout as not having what it takes to be a top notch NFL QB. Holmgren has never been a good talent evaluator. Teacher/coach yes, not GM and he shit the bed on this one.

You ask why?

Because we needed that 3rd round pick to turn out to be a player that contributed to this lackluster roster in some capacity. That isn't asking a lot considering how deep this draft was. The McCoy pick is of course the one we got for Kamerion Wimbley. So we traded a starting player on this team who performed admirably and created a bit of a pass rush(something this defense looks woefully bad at)for a guy that will do nothing this season and most likely ever for this team. And we may have to cut a productive player that can contribute, so Colt can hold a clipboard on the sideline even though he has no future on this team. Yeah no wonder why i'm upset about it!

Lets look at who else we could have drafted in the 3rd round or even who may have been drafted had Holmgren not stepped in.

Everson Griffin DE USC

Mardy Gilyard WR Cincinnati

Thaddeus Gibson DE Ohio State

You cant tell me that one of those three or someone else wouldn't help this team immediately? And yes my magic "crystal balls" do tell you otherwise!

In conclusion, will this mistake by Holmgren kill the Browns? No, but it will sting them.

In conclusion, will this mistake by Holmgren kill the Browns? No, but it will sting them.

I don't think it will sting much....any really.

I have come to the conclusion that most decent back-ups in the league are mostly higher round draft choices.

I think Holmgren knows that McCoy if never able to be a starting player should give the team a solid back-up player.

I know we don't like to admit it, but when a teams back-up enters, things dummy down quite a bit and I have no doubt that McCoy can run a dummied down offense.

You also add in the fact the guy can do something with his legs which is perfect for a back-up qb...maybe gain a few yards running the ball.

Look at Holmgrens history. In all honesty I can't remember the GB days, but in Seattle he brought in Wallace, a guy who can keep things alive with his legs, and later Chuck Frye, a guy who can scramble around and keep plays alive.

Colt is the same thing. You bring him in, maybe find that diamond, but at minimum find a guy who every once in a while gives you a chance to pull out a game with a reserve player.

He should be....I think he wanted him to ground the ball for a called play.

Then he makes it a dead play on a Hail Mary 6 yards out of bounds???

How is that anything but bad???

At least give you players a chance to make a play.

That's my theory.

Kid McBoy,has looked like a boy playing among MEN.

What I seen was a 3rd round pick trying to do what he could with the 2 seconds he had before the pocket collapsed because the 3rd string offense couldnt block or catch for crap. Some of his choices were bad but Mangini said Colt wouldnt be ready this year so I dont know why some people think he would be. I would love for Mangini to put Colt in with the starters for a play or two just to see how he pans out.

Archived