THE BROWNS BOARD

Colt McCoy is on the Browns’ roster bubble

BrownIndian

One of the big four college star quarterbacks drafted into the NFL in 2010 may not survive into the regular season. While Sam Bradford(notes) (Rams), Tim Tebow(notes) (Broncos) and Jimmy Clausen(notes) (Panthers) are assured of making their teams, former University of Texas standout Colt McCoy(notes) might need to prove himself in the Browns’ final two preseason games to make their roster.

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, McCoy, a third-round pick in April, is among one of eight players “on the bubble” for Eric Mangini’s team. That includes fellow QB Brett Ratliff(notes), and two young running backs, James Davis and Chris Jennings(notes).

So far, the Browns coaching staff has been impressed with the top two quarterbacks on the depth chart, veteran newcomers Jake Delhomme(notes) and Seneca Wallace(notes). Delhomme has looked outstanding over two preseason games, completing 18 of 23 pass attempts for 193 yards and a touchdown. Signed to be the No. 2, Wallace brings experience and, at this point, a superior athletic skill set compared with McCoy. Wallace also served as the backup QB for the Seahawks when Browns president Mike Holmgren coached Seattle.

McCoy has been limited by a sprained thumb in his his right hand, which he sustained in Cleveland’s preseason opener at Green Bay. He struggled mightily against the Packers’ defense, throwing two interceptions and gaining only 25 yards in 10 attempts. He went for 0-2 in Week 2 with limited action against St. Louis.

The Browns play at Detroit in Week 3 of the preseason on Saturday, and finish up the exhibition schedule next Thursday at home against the Bears.

From : http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AhZO...slug=tsn-166265

WTF ?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I'm sure that this is a smoke screen by EM to light a fire under Colt, at the end of the day, Colt is just a 3rd round pick, and 3rd round picks get cut every year.

This is either a fire being lit, or bad reporting.

It's possible that Mangini wants to get him used to feeling like he isn't the BMOC anymore. Is he still a competitor when he isn't also the center of attention? This kills a lot of promising college athletes. A lot of kids you think are high character types that play with a lot of heart really cool down when they're out of the spotlight. Kids don't always know themselves at 22, 23 years old. A kid who's never been anything except the stud quarterback** may not have the same inner fire when no one is watching.

** Save one year redshirting behind one of the greatest college football quarterbacks of all time

I dunno what people expect out of rookie QBs when they are thrown in with 3rd unit offensive linemen and WRs that cant block or catch to save their lives...mccoy is still trying to adjust to the speed and complication of the pro game and isnt getting the time to make the reads he has learned or even breathe as far as that goes..

The same could be said for ratliff as well but he isnt a rookie and he supposedly fully understands mangini's system..i believe a choice for mangini between ratty and colty is a simple one...ratty just sucks and the rookie hasnt yet been properly phased in or evaluated..

We have our 2 aging veteran QBs for now and if the regime determines colt isnt the guy then they should trade him now to give him a chance to play somewhere else ratty needs to be let go period...he will most likely not be picked up by anyone so his career in the nfl will be effectively and rightfully over..

If the unthinkable happened and we had to bring in the 3rd QB, I would rather see a rookie making mistakes and finding out if he has what it takes as opposed to watching a guy like rattlif whom we know doesnt have what it takes stinking up the field with worse than DA type inconsistent play..

It doesnt matter if that 3rd rookie QB is colt mccoy or sam bradford or jimmy clausen as far as im concerned thats just how it should be...

McCoy is not going anywhere. Its not like Ratliff is an up and coming star imo. For what its worth Id rather have Jennings than Davis. Jennings showed me a little near the end of last season and Davis has shown me nothing. He appears small and slow. Dropped a nice screen from McCoy this week.

I also think we will see alot of Hillis at RB this year. The backfield of Vickers/Hillis sure looked good the last game.

McCoy is not going anywhere. Its not like Ratliff is an up and coming star imo. For what its worth Id rather have Jennings than Davis. Jennings showed me a little near the end of last season and Davis has shown me nothing. He appears small and slow. Dropped a nice screen from McCoy this week.

Whether Colt stays or goes he needs to start doing something 3rd string or not. Anyway if you've got the goods you should look like an all-star both with and against the 3rd string. Who cares right now anyway he's not going to start any games (hopefully).

Whether Colt stays or goes he needs to start doing something 3rd string or not. Anyway if you've got the goods you should look like an all-star both with and against the 3rd string. Who cares right now anyway he's not going to start any games (hopefully).

It's even difficult for the best of them to look good with a bad offensive line. QB's and RB's can go from great to terrible looking without protection. I'm not saying McCoy is great, but it's hard to do anything when you have no time.

The only chance I see in McCoy going bye bye is if the coaches would consider making Cribbs the 3rd String QB.

But it's not going to happen. This article could have easily have had Ratliff, Delhomme, and Wallace on the Bubble as well.. But it doesn't...that is because McCoy's name means more, that is all.. There are 4 QB looking for a position... someone is on the bubble..

The only chance I see in McCoy going bye bye is if the coaches would consider making Cribbs the 3rd String QB.

But it's not going to happen. This article could have easily have had Ratliff, Delhomme, and Wallace on the Bubble as well.. But it doesn't...that is because McCoy's name means more, that is all.. There are 4 QB looking for a position... someone is on the bubble..

Do you post on the LSU rant by any chance. Just asking, someone just posted almost this exact statement.

I think the Browns are hoping for a reason that they can stash McCoy on the IR for a year. I think they would be more comfortable with Ratty as the third guy at this point.

But if it comes right down to it and one of them has to go it will be Rat, they just signed Colt to a decent contract and I'm sure they want to see more of him.

Zombo

Agree. The IR sounds like the mostly likely solution. If due to injuries we need to use the third QB Ratliff is more prepared at this point than the rookie.

I think the Browns are hoping for a reason that they can stash McCoy on the IR for a year. I think they would be more comfortable with Ratty as the third guy at this point.

But if it comes right down to it and one of them has to go it will be Rat, they just signed Colt to a decent contract and I'm sure they want to see more of him.

Zombo

all im gonna say is we could of had decker or campbell instead of colt...not to mention we could get one of the 3 big time qbs in the next draft (locker, luck, and mallett)

Who knows, we might still get one of those....but, are they really any better than McCoy? McCoy had as much or more credentials than any of them going into his senior year in college.

And, FYI, I think that the Browns need to address their D-Line perhaps with their first pick next year.

Zombo

I think you are right my friend...

It wouldn't surprise me if we kept 4 qbs on the roster.

That roster spot is important, but it isn't critical. We could probably get by with one less backer or DB....at least for a while.

What is the roster....54 players with maybe 45 active on gameday?? Not counting the practice squad.

Guess I should know that, but alas, I don't recall.

Sorry to say Colt McCoy is not NFL material. He's to small and has no down field vision. The pros are a lot different than college. I say cut him.

to small lol You should have seen flutie over here for the Pats he w3as even shorter and He did Just fine McCoy is going to be good in a Few years dont Loose Hope yet

Zombo

I'm thinking the same. Draft picks take precedence in these matters, Colt would really have to suck to be cut. If they keep him then they see something of valuein him down the road.

Archived