THE BROWNS BOARD

Who's the Best

The Gipper

The question I am asking here is simply: Who do you think is the best player in the NFL at each position? I heard a bit of a debate on the radio about a specific position but I thought I would see what people thought about all positions. So, tell us what you think. Here are the positions, tell who you think is best:

QB:

RB:

FB:

TE:

WR1:

WR2:

LT:

LG:

C:

RG:

RT:

DT/NG 1:

DT/NG 2:

DE1:

DE2:

OLB1:

OLB2:

MLB1:

MLB2:

CB1:

CB2:

FS:

SS:

K:

P:

LS:

KR:

The only place I know that might give some clue is the Madden site:

http://www.operationsports.com/newspost.php?id=421289

Don't know if it is helpful.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The question I am asking here is simply: Who do you think is the best player in the NFL at each position? I heard a bit of a debate on the radio about a specific position but I thought I would see what people thought about all positions. So, tell us what you think. Here are the positions, tell who you think is best:

QB: Peyton Manning

RB: Chris Johnson

FB: Lawrence Vickers

TE: Jason Witten

WR1: Randy Moss

WR2: Greg Jennings

LT: Joe Thomas

LG: um... dunno But not Steinbach

C: Alex Mack (homer pick & cause I don't know many centers)

RG: Um... dunno

RT: Um... dunno

DT/NG 1: Kevin Williams

DT/NG 2: Pat Williams

DE1: Dwight Freeney

DE2:

OLB1:

OLB2:

MLB1: Ray Lewis

MLB2:

CB1:

CB2:

FS:

SS:

K:

P:

LS: Ryan Pontbriand

KR: Josh Cribbs

Ah, ok, post edited above then

I'll post in this later but Thaak you had me laughing with a few of those posts. You don't watch a lot of NFL football outside the Browns do you? Greg Jennings sure as hell isn't a top 2 WR in the NFL. Yes it's your opinion but he's still not top 2. You're leaving out guys like Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson for the mighty midget in Green Bay. Why because you just watched him briefly in a preseason game? And Ray Lewis is in no way shape or form the best MLB currently in the game. Patrick Willis has that on lock down. Either way you're entitled to your own opinion. Just funny.

I'll post in this later but Thaak you had me laughing with a few of those posts. You don't watch a lot of NFL football outside the Browns do you? Greg Jennings sure as hell isn't a top 2 WR in the NFL. Yes it's your opinion but he's still not top 2. You're leaving out guys like Larry Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson for the mighty midget in Green Bay. Why because you just watched him briefly in a preseason game? And Ray Lewis is in no way shape or form the best MLB currently in the game. Patrick Willis has that on lock down. Either way you're entitled to your own opinion. Just funny.

Actually guy, I do watch a TON of football, usually have several fantasy teams (of which I have won a few cash prizes for coming in first amongst others who are also knowledgeable). Forgot about Johnson though. He probably would be higher on my list over Jennings. But I'd take Jennings over Fitzgerald any day of the week.

As for Lewis, he may be long in the tooth and no longer the best currently on the field, but over the years he has been the best, hands down. Since he's still playing, gotta pick him.

Don't make judgment calls like you did above without any knowledge about who you are judging. Just makes you look like a Steelers fan... oh wait...

Actually guy, I do watch a TON of football, usually have several fantasy teams (of which I have won a few cash prizes for coming in first amongst others who are also knowledgeable). Forgot about Johnson though. He probably would be higher on my list over Jennings. But I'd take Jennings over Fitzgerald any day of the week.

As for Lewis, he may be long in the tooth and no longer the best currently on the field, but over the years he has been the best, hands down. Since he's still playing, gotta pick him.

Don't make judgment calls like you did above without any knowledge about who you are judging. Just makes you look like a Steelers fan... oh wait...

lol alright. I made the comment based on your inability to A. Name a player even if it's just one for certain positions and placing a guy like Jennings in the top 2 for WR's in the NFL. Jennings over Fitzgerald? What crack are you smoking? I also play fantasy football and all that does is ensure you know the "skill positions" and nothing more. Your slew of chest puffing above is no different than saying you know football because you play a lot of Madden. lol. Either way you're entitled to your opinion.

QB: The three that are/should be mentioned are Brees/Brady/Manning....but, I am going to say that the QB that is going to have the best year and will break into the discussion as the best QB is: Aaron Rodgers. But for overall career, Manning

RB: I am going with Purple Jesus, Adrian Peterson, over Chris Johnson. AP just needs to stop fumbling.

FB: Not too familiar with the other players at the position, but I can't see Lawrence Vickers taking a back seat to anyone really. Lorenzo Neal who was considered the best a long time is retired. Madden had T. Richardson as best....but I don't know who that is.

TE: I am going with Dallas Clark for his versatility. #2 Jake Witten. Tony Gonzales...still good , but best days behind him.

WR1: Larry Fitzgerald

WR2: Andre Johnson

LT: Madden has Clardy? (don't know him) as the best, and Jake Long ahead of Joe Thomas. I am sure those others are good, but I will take Joe.

LG: Hutchinson seems like a sound choice. Steinbach in top 5-6

C: Nick Mangold is pretty universally heralded as the top center. Can't say I disagree.

RG: Defer to Madden as I am without knowledge sufficient to form an opinion

RT: Defer to Madden ditto

DT/NG 1: Williams of Minnesota

DT/NG 2: Vince Wilfork of NE I believe

DE1: Mario Williams of Houston

DE2: Jared Allen of Minn.

OLB1: Demarcus Ware of Dallas

OLB2: James Harrison of Pittsburgh

MLB1: Is the age of the great MLBs gone? Ray Lewis is too old, but I can't think of anyone better

MLB2: see above

CB1: Darrel Revis, if he plays

CB2: Asomugha of Oakland

FS: Ed Reed, if he plays and is healthy, otherwise probably Polamalu

SS: Bob Sanders of Indy if healthy.

K: Longwell of the Packers? maybe? though the position is a crap shoot.

P: Most of the love is being given to Shane Lechler. Again, who knows, another crapshoot

LS: How many long snappers do you know? We know that Pontbriand has been awful steady for long time, why not him? Who else?

KR: I think we can put Josh Cribbs in here, though if you were including a separate punt returner there may be a few better.

lol alright. I made the comment based on your inability to A. Name a player even if it's just one for certain positions and placing a guy like Jennings in the top 2 for WR's in the NFL. Jennings over Fitzgerald? What crack are you smoking? I also play fantasy football and all that does is ensure you know the "skill positions" and nothing more. Your slew of chest puffing above is no different than saying you know football because you play a lot of Madden. lol. Either way you're entitled to your opinion.

Never said I was an expert all things NFL. But most people who spend 5 minutes talking to be about football, realize that I do know quite a bunch. About more than skill positions. Just because I don't follow the names of Guards and Right Tackles doesn't mean that I am football stupid. I am also at work, and a more comprehensive list of players at positions will have to wait until later.

Never said I was an expert all things NFL. But most people who spend 5 minutes talking to be about football, realize that I do know quite a bunch. About more than skill positions. Just because I don't follow the names of Guards and Right Tackles doesn't mean that I am football stupid. I am also at work, and a more comprehensive list of players at positions will have to wait until later.

Didn't say you were stupid just implied that based on your first list it didn't seem like you watched a bunch of football. The most glaring the Jennings inclusion but either way.

QB: Big Ben (Homer pick obviously but he's top 5 and I wouldn't trade him for any other QB) Brees would be second.

RB: Adrian Peterson

FB: Tony Richardson or Lousaka Polite

TE: Jason Witten or yes Heath Miller (Heath will have a ton of catches this year and he can block)

WR1: Andre Johnson

WR2: Larry Fitzgerald or Moss

LT: Ryan Clady but Joe Thomas is also up here

LG: Ben Grubbs

C: Nick Mangold

RG: Jahari Evans

RT: John Stichcomb I guess

DT/NG 1: Casey Hampton

DT/NG 2: Shaun Rogers (when he's not carrying guns around)

DE1: Jared Allen

DE2: Justin Tuck (But Aaron Smith deserves mention here as in my opinion the best 3-4 end in the league. 4-3 ends get all the publicity because of their need to rush the passer rather than the LB's.

OLB1: James Harrison

OLB2: Demarcus Ware

MLB1: Patrick Willis

MLB2: Tough call here but I'm leaning Demeco Ryans but Jon Beason has to be up there as well.

CB1: Revis

CB2: Asomugha

FS: Ed Reed but he's on the verge of retirement if he keeps getting banged up.

SS: Troy Polamalu

K: Defer to Madden (I also don't care)

P: Defer to Madden (See above)

LS: Greg Warren lol (don't care)

QB: Josh Cribbs

RB: Josh Cribbs

FB: Josh Cribbs

TE: Josh Cribbs

WR1: Josh Cribbs

WR2: Josh Cribbs

LT: Josh Cribbs

LG: Josh Cribbs

C: Josh Cribbs

RG: Josh Cribbs

RT: Josh Cribbs

DT/NG 1: Josh Cribbs

DT/NG 2: Josh Cribbs

DE1: Josh Cribbs

DE2: Josh Cribbs

OLB1: Josh Cribbs

OLB2: Josh Cribbs

MLB1: Josh Cribbs

MLB2: Josh Cribbs

CB1: Josh Cribbs

CB2: Josh Cribbs

FS: Josh Cribbs

SS: Josh Cribbs

K: Josh Cribbs

P: Josh Cribbs

LS: Josh Cribbs

QB: Big Ben (Homer pick obviously but he's top 5 and I wouldn't trade him for any other QB) Brees would be second.

Homotron earns his ID once again...

You realize Peyton Manning may just become the greatest QB of all time, right? And you've heard of Tom Brady?

Please ... Roethlisberger would get sacked trying to pick up their jocks.

Zombo

You realize Peyton Manning may just become the greatest QB of all time, right? And you've heard of Tom Brady?

Zombo

What part of Homer pick didn't you read? Should I have overreacted with Thaak picking Lawrence Vickers or Alex Mack? HOMER PICK! HOMER PICK! HOMER PICK! did you read it that time? I gave you 4 opportunities. However I'd rather have Big Ben than any of the QB's listed above. Peyton Manning finally won his super bowl but he was a choke artist up until that point. Tom Brady is a cry baby lady. We'll also see when the dust settles who stands where in the final rank order. Big Ben is a good bit younger than both and already has two Super Bowls. He's certainly a elite QB in this league. ONCE AGAIN HOMER PICK! that's 5 times.

However I'd rather have Big Ben than any of the QB's listed above. Peyton Manning finally won his super bowl but he was a choke artist up until that point. Tom Brady is a cry baby lady.

Peyton Manning a choke artist? All he does is win! So he hasn't had the defense to win multiple championships yet ... He shits out 12 wins a year just on offense. If the Colts and Steelers switched defenses the past decade, he'd have 7 or 8 rings ... choke artist my ass!

Brady a cry baby Lady? Dude is tough as nails. He didn't ride along to his first Super Bowl like young Ben, he picked his team up and carried them there! He's as tough as they come.

Not ONE GM in the league would trade Brady or Manning for Ben straight up DESPITE the age difference. Not too mention that they are solid citizens and happily married men raising families while Ben took on the responsibility of being the Face of the Franchise to mean "stick my dick wherever i want whenever I want".

Please ... I'm going to puke!

Zombo

Peyton Manning a choke artist? All he does is win! So he hasn't had the defense to win multiple championships yet ... He shits out 12 wins a year just on offense. If the Colts and Steelers switched defenses the past decade, he'd have 7 or 8 rings ... choke artist my ass!

Brady a cry baby Lady? Dude is tough as nails. He didn't ride along to his first Super Bowl like young Ben, he picked his team up and carried them there! He's as tough as they come.

Not ONE GM in the league would trade Brady or Manning for Ben straight up DESPITE the age difference. Not too mention that they are solid citizens and happily married men raising families while Ben took on the responsibility of being the Face of the Franchise to mean "stick my dick wherever i want whenever I want".

Please ... I'm going to puke!

Zombo

I'm not going to waste my time debating this but Peyton Manning was to blame for a few of those late playoff losses and Tom Brady does cry every chance he gets. Let's not forget manning blaming his OFFENSIVE LINE for his blunders. Once again his OFFENSIVE LINE! as in the offense failed and it wasn't Peyton's fault but rather his o-line. No mention of defense which has been pretty solid all things considered.

I'm not going to waste my time debating this but Peyton Manning was to blame for a few of those late playoff losses and Tom Brady does cry every chance he gets. Let's not forget manning blaming his OFFENSIVE LINE for his blunders. Once again his OFFENSIVE LINE! as in the offense failed and it wasn't Peyton's fault but rather his o-line. No mention of defense which has been pretty solid all things considered.

C'mon, man! Manning is 34 years old and he has 50,000 yards passing! 4 League MVPs. Career passer rating of 95.2. He's the greatest quarterback you have ever seen and he is still in his prime.

I've never seen or heard of Brady crying once. He demands perfection from his teammates though. Would you rather he demand they watch the door while he makes some poor drunk college girl do the nasty with him?

Zombo

Zombo

Top 5, not. (Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, McNabb) Top 10, probably

Rodgers so far has done nothing and McNabb? Why do people routinely put him in the top 5. What has he done lately? I would put Rodgers in the top 5 but McNabb certainly no longer belongs in that group.

RB: Chris Johnson

FB: Lawrence Vickers

TE: Tony Gonzales

WR1: Randy Moss

WR2: OchoCinco

LG: Steve Hutchinson

RG: Chris Snee

RT: Stinchomb

DT/NG 1: Shaun Rogers

DT/NG 2: Krisco Jenkins

DE2: Aaron Schobel (PLEASE keep playing)

OLB1: DeMarcus Ware

OLB2: Lamaar Woodley

MLB2: Jon Beason

CB1: Nmadi Asmougah

CB2: Darrel Revis

FS: Ed Reed

SS: Troy Polamalu

K: Bironas

P: Mat McBriar

LS: Pontbriand

Quarterbacks better than Roethlisberger:

1. Manning

2. Brady

3. Brees

4. Favre

5. Kurt Warner when he unretires

6. Rodgers

7. Romo

8. Schaub

9. Rivers

10th ... I think I'd go with Carson Palmer, Eli Maning or a healthy Matt Hassleback over Ben ... at least they will be there for their team the whole season....

Zombo

Quarterbacks better than Roethlisberger:

1. Manning

2. Brady

3. Brees

4. Favre

5. Kurt Warner when he unretires

6. Rodgers

7. Romo

8. Schaub

9. Rivers

10th ... I think I'd go with Carson Palmer, Eli Maning or a healthy Matt Hassleback over Ben ... at least they will be there for their team the whole season....

Zombo

Based on what? Your hate for the Steelers? Get real.

Based on what?

I've already explained Maning and Brady.

Brees, Favre and Warner go without saying.

Rodgers is better all round, emerging superstar.

Romo has ratings in the 90's four straight years and gets sacked half as much as Ben.

Schaub, like Rogers, is rocketing past Ben, 4770 yards last year, his third as a starter.

Rivers has a career rating of 95.8 and has never gotten sacked more than 27 times in one season

The other three guys, Ben rivals in talent, but like I said, they didn't let their team down by missing the first month.

And I forgot McNabb who has been doing it year in and year out for much longer than Ben.

So that's what ... 13 guys I'd rather see at quarterback than ben? I'm dead serious.

Zombo

RB: Marshawn Lynch

FB: Lawerence Vickers

TE: Kellen Winslow

WR1: Brandon Marshall

WR2: Andre Johnson

LG: Jahri Evans

RG: Alan Faneca

RT: D'Brickashaw Ferguson

DT/NG 1: Haloti Ngata

DT/NG 2: Casey Hampton

DE2: Julius Peppers

OLB1: Terrell Suggs

OLB2: Lamar Woodley

MLB2: Ray Lewis

CB1: Nnamdi Asomugha

CB2: Darrel Revis

FS: Troy Polamalu

SS: Adrian Wilson

K: Phil Dawson

P:

LS: Ryan Pontbriand

Other than the TD plus for Fitzgerald, very comparable between the two. And if you guys get to exclude guys like Ray Lewis because he's old, then I get to consider who's throwing the ball to the WR for this season.

In this case, Fitzgerald has Weemus the Titmouse throwing to him, and Jennings has Aaron "Fricken" Rodgers throwing to him.

Jennings hands down.

Greg Jennings 68 1113 16.4 4

Larry Fitzgerald 97 1092 11.3 13

I've already explained Maning and Brady.

Brees, Favre and Warner go without saying.

Rodgers is better all round, emerging superstar.

Romo has ratings in the 90's four straight years and gets sacked half as much as Ben.

Schaub, like Rogers, is rocketing past Ben, 4770 yards last year, his third as a starter.

Rivers has a career rating of 95.8 and has never gotten sacked more than 27 times in one season

The other three guys, Ben rivals in talent, but like I said, they didn't let their team down by missing the first month.

And I forgot McNabb who has been doing it year in and year out for much longer than Ben.

So that's what ... 13 guys I'd rather see at quarterback than ben? I'm dead serious.

Zombo

Not even worth arguing. You'd lose any self respecting football fan outside of Cleveland the second you mention Schaub, Romo or Rivers ahead of Ben. Romo is a serial choker, Rivers routinely does the same and Schaub's Texans for the first time made the playoffs this past season. Warner has won his super bowls but he's not half the athlete and he was outplayed in the Cards/Steelers Super Bowl. I could go all day with this but in the end I'd just be wasting my time. Big Ben will have several Super Bowls before he retires and the Rooneys had a hand in his suspension otherwise I don't believe he would have been suspended at all. FIrst time in NFL history a player has been suspended without a conviction and even then the 4 games is pretty damn harsh. The Rooney's wanted him suspended and in the end I believe it will save his career. I hope you enjoy getting thrown all over.

Not even worth arguing. You'd lose any self respecting football fan outside of Cleveland the second you mention Schaub, Romo or Rivers ahead of Ben. Romo is a serial choker, Rivers routinely does the same and Schaub's Texans for the first time made the playoffs this past season. Warner has won his super bowls but he's not half the athlete and he was outplayed in the Cards/Steelers Super Bowl. I could go all day with this but in the end I'd just be wasting my time. Big Ben will have several Super Bowls before he retires and the Rooneys had a hand in his suspension otherwise I don't believe he would have been suspended at all. FIrst time in NFL history a player has been suspended without a conviction and even then the 4 games is pretty damn harsh. The Rooney's wanted him suspended and in the end I believe it will save his career. I hope you enjoy getting thrown all over.

Really? You live in or ever been to any other city and had extensive conversations with those people in those cities regarding exactly this?

I have. I've lived in Minnesota for 10 years now. There isn't a lot of respect for Ben up here.

Other than the TD plus for Fitzgerald, very comparable between the two. And if you guys get to exclude guys like Ray Lewis because he's old, then I get to consider who's throwing the ball to the WR for this season.

In this case, Fitzgerald has Weemus the Titmouse throwing to him, and Jennings has Aaron "Fricken" Rodgers throwing to him.

Jennings hands down.

Greg Jennings 68 1113 16.4 4

Larry Fitzgerald 97 1092 11.3 13

We're talking CURRENT physical intangibles. Ray Lewis is a savvy veteran but he's no where near the same caliber athlete as Patrick Willis for example. In his prime absolutely but Lewis is no longer the best at his position. Greg Jennings also isn't the athlete that Fitz is....

Archived