THE BROWNS BOARD

Peyton Hillis

Curious

First off, I am a Denver Broncos fan. Peyton Hillis' rookie year was extremely impressive, and many fans including myself thought he would grow into a star RB. Then, last year rolled around. Every opportunity he got, he screwed up. Whenever he was on the field, he committed a penalty, missed a block, or dropped a ball. I couldn't have been happier to get rid of him.

My question to all of you, is how is he looking? I've heard a couple good things, which is why I came by to ask. Do you think he will get a good amount of touches in the regular season?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fantasy question, or just bored? Hillis has been on the sidelines during the first week of camp.

Mostly bored, and I would like to know if trading him was a mistake. Someone posted a recent article about him taking advantage of opportunities or something like that.

At this point we can't answer the question....he is sidelined with some minor injury....not a knock comment....just something that is going to take a while to mend.

As a long time Gator season ticket holder, how is Tim fitting in with the team and community??

At this point we can't answer the question....he is sidelined with some minor injury....not a knock comment....just something that is going to take a while to mend.

As a long time Gator season ticket holder, how is Tim fitting in with the team and community??

Everyone who meets him loves him. There is a somewhat large portion of fans at training camp who are just Tebow fans that wear florida jerseys to practice, and the native Denverites are starting to get terribly annoyed and even somewhat hostile over their presence.

Everyone who meets him loves him. There is a somewhat large portion of fans at training camp who are just Tebow fans that wear florida jerseys to practice, and the native Denverites are starting to get terribly annoyed and even somewhat hostile over their presence.

That cracks me up! Having a bunch of fans that are just fans of a player and not of my team constantly around would get rather annoying!

you mean the religious right aholes that wear their jockey underwear (newly sponsored by super jesus kid) over their blue tights? don't the broncos and the gators wear the same colors?

First off, I am a Denver Broncos fan. Peyton Hillis' rookie year was extremely impressive, and many fans including myself thought he would grow into a star RB. Then, last year rolled around. Every opportunity he got, he screwed up. Whenever he was on the field, he committed a penalty, missed a block, or dropped a ball. I couldn't have been happier to get rid of him.

My question to all of you, is how is he looking? I've heard a couple good things, which is why I came by to ask. Do you think he will get a good amount of touches in the regular season?

I noticed he struggled with his blocking. He got pancaked in a video I put up here last week from training camp ... he got pancaked by a soft LB (DQwell Jackson) who most here wanted us to get rid of.

However, he isn't really going the be relied on to block here, we have a fullback (Lawrence Vickers) who is one of the best blocking backs in the league. I see Hillis being used as a receiving threat out of the back field and put into open space to mull an smaller DB.

I've seen him break through our line with the help of Vickers plowing the way, so there could be something there. Although we also drafted RB Montario Hardesty from Tennessee, who is 6'0", 225lbs. So with Hillis at 6'2", 250lbs and Vickers at 6'0" 250lbs, we have some load to wear down defenses to break our smaller backs Jerome Harrison 5'9", 205lbs and James Davis 5'-11", 21lbs.

We don't necessarily have to rush Hillis into any role yet.

I'm personally disappointed in a guy his size not having much leverage in blocking though. You can't play in this league if you can't block, so the jury is still out.

Here is Hillis breaking through rather quickly in a 7-on-7 drill:

Here is Hillis getting ran over by D'Qwell Jackson (they are the third pair to run the drill)

There are some references to Hillis and Vickers in this Video as well:

P.S. Montario Hardesty has been out injured since camp started so we really don't know yet how much he will replace anything that Hillis can do.

That cracks me up! Having a bunch of fans that are just fans of a player and not of my team constantly around would get rather annoying!

Well, that is what LeBron James expected of us...that we be fans of HIM, not of the team. F***ing Dumbass. We were only fans of him BECAUSE he was a member of our team.

Football/Basketball/baseball are team sports. They are not individual sports like tennis or golf. Why should a Broncos fan give a rats ass about tebow performing well? It would be as stupid as say a Browns fan only hoping the team does well if Brady Quinn were the QB. Anyone that thought that was a feckless f**k.

We root for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back.

Well, that is what LeBron James expected of us...that we be fans of HIM, not of the team. F***ing Dumbass. We were only fans of him BECAUSE he was a member of our team.

Football/Basketball/baseball are team sports. They are not individual sports like tennis or golf. Why should a Broncos fan give a rats ass about tebow performing well? It would be as stupid as say a Browns fan only hoping the team does well if Brady Quinn were the QB. Anyone that thought that was a feckless f**k.

We root for the name on the front of the jersey, not the back

Haha I can't believe how Cleveland fans have reacted to LeBron moving on. That man single-handedly did more for that franchise and city than anyone ever had. All of Cleveland was on their hands and knees begging him to stay, and now they act like they don't want him.

Haha I can't believe how Cleveland fans have reacted to LeBron moving on. That man single-handedly did more for that franchise and city than anyone ever had. All of Cleveland was on their hands and knees begging him to stay, and now they act like they don't want him.

Hey Bi-Curious, saying he did more for the city of Cleveland than anyone ever did is absolutely Retarded. It was the arrogant WAY that he left that has rubbed people the wrong way. He may have been from Akron, but in the end, he just wasn't a Cleveland-kind-of-guy.

Zombo

You mean like all the "Bradybots" , Tim "Couchfans" and the like ? lol

I think that is different. As long as those guys are members of "our" team I think it is OK for someone to have a preference for whom they think would do a better job of running the team.

If on the Browns you have 2-3 QBs, say Tim Couch or Kelly Holcomb, a Browns fan can say "I think Tim Couch is better and gives us the greater opportunity to win," or vice versa with Kelly Holcomb. And the same analysis can apply to Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson. People can have differences of opinions or preferences on which QB they think should play.

It is different if someone said " I am a Brady Quinn fan, and I will root for whatever team he plays for" and ergo, that person now declares himself a Denver Bronco fan.

The same deal with LeBron. We are Cleveland Cavalier fans. As long as LeBron is playing for the Cleveland Cavalier we can be LeBron James fans. If he goes off to play for the Miami Heat....no TRUE fan is going to go say "I am now a Miami Heat fan because LeBron plays for him". I mean, that's OK for his wife and kids and his suckups who are getting paid by LeBron I guess, but it is not OK for a real sports fan to do.

Just because LeBron or Couch or Quinn go somewhere else doesn't mean I am switching allegiance to those teams. But, there apparently are some assholes who will do that.

Fair to say?

Brandon Marshall couldn't wait to get out of Denver, and jumped to Miami (Ironic) as well. Did you buy his Miami Jersey yet?

Brandon Marshall couldn't wait to get out of Denver, and jumped to Miami (Ironic) as well. Did you buy his Miami Jersey yet?

I never said you should become Heat fans. It's just the way the majority of Cleveland fans have villianized him. I still love Marshall and wish him the best in Miami because he did great things for this franchise while he was here. Jay Cutler, however, is a different story....

He's gator jesus. He walks on water. I also agree. Very annoying.

I never said you should become Heat fans. It's just the way the majority of Cleveland fans have villianized him. I still love Marshall and wish him the best in Miami because he did great things for this franchise while he was here. Jay Cutler, however, is a different story....

He talked about loyalty, and wasnt going ring-chasing. In the end he villanized himself. He pretty much screwed over the organization.

The city gave him everything. But he spoiled us? We are what made him! Who spoiled who? He LIED! Sports is in our culture around here. Its woven in our DNA. Live a Cleveland Fan, die a Cleveland Fan!

If Lebron had originally been from out of state the reaction wouldn't have been so extreme, he would have simply been a f*ing jerk like Braylon edwards. But, the way he did this and the way he made cleveland look was not right. Because of the way he was treated here he owed the fans and team more respect than he showed them. And I think he had his mind made up A LONG TIME AGO. The three of them had talked about playing together long ago. I think the thing about trying to get Bosch to come to cleveland was simply something to make lebron look better.

Everytime he got a chance? That's rich. He never got a chance. He only got one chance to carry the ball to any extent -- in 4th quarter garbage time against KC. I posted then that we probably wouldn't see anymore of Hillis because he performed too well and showed up Joshie McDaniels and NO SHOW Moreno. And I was right. McDaniels was more committed to letting Moreno have carries than he was about winning. The only ones who did drop the ball for the Broncos last season were Moreno and McDaniels.

Whenever he was on the field:

1) He committed a penalty? On one punt return he had a penalty for a block in the back.

2) Missed a block? Never saw him miss one. NO-SHOW Moreno may have failed to follow the block (which happened a lot!!)

3) Dropped the ball? Fumbled one kickoff. No fumbles from the RB or FB position. Moreno led the team in fumbles.

And you are glad to get rid of him so you could keep the 12th pick of round 1 in 2009 who averaged less than 4 yards per carry, had only two carries for more than 20 yards for the season, had no 100 yard games (despite 2 games against Oakland and 2 games against KC) for the season, led the team in fumbles, and who gained 1 yard or less on 27% of his carries for the season? It would have been a better choice for Joshie McD if Moreno had been the 1st choice of the 12th round instead of the 12th choice of the 1st round. If you think Denver got the top end of the deal, it doesn't take much to impress you.

BEST or BUST? Denver chose to keep its Bust and send one of its Best to the Browns.

Everytime he got a chance? That's rich. He never got a chance. He only got one chance to carry the ball to any extent -- in 4th quarter garbage time against KC. I posted then that we probably wouldn't see anymore of Hillis because he performed too well and showed up Joshie McDaniels and NO SHOW Moreno. And I was right. McDaniels was more committed to letting Moreno have carries than he was about winning. The only ones who did drop the ball for the Broncos last season were Moreno and McDaniels.

Whenever he was on the field:

1) He committed a penalty? On one punt return he had a penalty for a block in the back.

2) Missed a block? Never saw him miss one. NO-SHOW Moreno may have failed to follow the block (which happened a lot!!)

3) Dropped the ball? Fumbled one kickoff. No fumbles from the RB or FB position. Moreno led the team in fumbles.

And you are glad to get rid of him so you could keep the 12th pick of round 1 in 2009 who averaged less than 4 yards per carry, had only two carries for more than 20 yards for the season, had no 100 yard games (despite 2 games against Oakland and 2 games against KC) for the season, led the team in fumbles, and who gained 1 yard or less on 27% of his carries for the season? It would have been a better choice for Joshie McD if Moreno had been the 1st choice of the 12th round instead of the 12th choice of the 1st round. If you think Denver got the top end of the deal, it doesn't take much to impress you.

BEST or BUST? Denver chose to keep its Bust and send one of its Best to the Browns.

You seem to have quite the hate for McDaniels and Denver for a Browns fan. Yeah, Knowshon hit the rookie wall the last 4 games of the season, and averaged 3.8 yards per carry last year. Walter Payton averaged 3.5 YPC as a rookie. LT averaged 3.6 YPC as a rookie. Knowshon will be much improved in his second year with an improved interior offensive line. Zane Beadles and J.D. Walton replace the undersized and overaged Ben Hamilton and Casey Wiegmann, which will help him get the tough yards easier.

BTW, you probably shouldn't rag on Josh McDaniels too much when his team curb-stomped the Browns 26-7 last year. Just sayin.

Besides the fact that this thread wqs about Payton Hillis not LeBron James is apparently irrelevent. The truth of the matter is that Jim Brown and Bernie Kosar did FAR more for this city than LeBron would ever bring himself to give. And Bernie was traded to Dallas for his last 2 years, but because of what he did here and the love the fans showed him you would never know he ever wore anything but Brown and Orange. This also is a Football town first because of these same 2 players. The ONLY reason LeBron was heralded so much was because he offered the city the closest thing to a Championship we have seen since the Indians dropped the ball in '97 and before that since Jim Brown won several times in the '60s. If you are from the area you understand what loyalty to the team means, not loyalty to any one or group of players. It's a Blue Collar mentality that not all teams or cities can boast. For this reason alone LeBron set himself up for what he got. He KNEW what he was doing and what he had coming his way. No matter what else can be said it's our passion for our City that no one else can judge on why we reacted the way we did. Yes he had every right to do what he did and play where he wanted to play, we just thought as NE Ohioans that LeBron had the same thought processes as we do. We don't search out the Glory in any situation, as a matter of fact if it can be done in a dirty, callus, hard working way all the better because it's then been earned not handed to on a silver platter...JMHO

Besides the fact that this thread wqs about Payton Hillis not LeBron James is apparently irrelevent. The truth of the matter is that Jim Brown and Bernie Kosar did FAR more for this city than LeBron would ever bring himself to give. And Bernie was traded to Dallas for his last 2 years, but because of what he did here and the love the fans showed him you would never know he ever wore anything but Brown and Orange. This also is a Football town first because of these same 2 players. The ONLY reason LeBron was heralded so much was because he offered the city the closest thing to a Championship we have seen since the Indians dropped the ball in '97 and before that since Jim Brown won several times in the '60s. If you are from the area you understand what loyalty to the team means, not loyalty to any one or group of players. It's a Blue Collar mentality that not all teams or cities can boast. For this reason alone LeBron set himself up for what he got. He KNEW what he was doing and what he had coming his way. No matter what else can be said it's our passion for our City that no one else can judge on why we reacted the way we did. Yes he had every right to do what he did and play where he wanted to play, we just thought as NE Ohioans that LeBron had the same thought processes as we do. We don't search out the Glory in any situation, as a matter of fact if it can be done in a dirty, callus, hard working way all the better because it's then been earned not handed to on a silver platter...JMHO

Well said!

Curious, may I make a comparison.

Imagine if John Elway in 1995 made it into the playoffs with a Broncos team that had the best record in the league. They make it to the second round and are in a close game until the 4th quater Elway gets lazy. With a chance to win he decides to spike the ball 4 times into the ground and gives up on the game. He knew he would become a free agent. He states that he wants to win a championship in Denver, talks about his loyalty to the city, and has had a team built around him with the potential to win. Then decides to make a 1-hour long special about himself on ESPN to announce his decision, if he will stay or go to another team. During his tv special he states he will move to Green Bay to win a championship with Brett Farve. He figures it is too hard to win by himself, so he will be Fraves back-up. Meanwhile, in Denver they planned on him staying and are now left without a qb.

Now as bad as that would feel for Denver fans, imagine if you have watched a guy play since high school just down the road. Think about all the struggles our city has been through, and remember we had an entire football team stolen from us. Imagine having to tell your kids that their favorite player left and them not being able to understand. Imagine Dan Gilbert, who did everything he could to make James feel like a "king". 90% of Ohio had a number 23 jersey hanging in their closet.

It's like a nasty breakup, but after its over you find out your girlfriend cheated on you the entire time and has left you to be with an uglier man.

Denver might lose Carmello, but I know he will handle the situation with respect.

Hey Roo is that the new stadium for the Zips in downtown? I moved away in '90 so everytime I get to go home I see the new stuff added, but I haven't had the chance to see the inside...it's beautiful. My high school (Firestone) played their home games at the Rubber Bowl so I can imagine how awesome the new field must be to the players :) And back on topic, I feel that we definitely got a steal in dropping Quinn for Hillis. He will surely add some needed depth to our backfield :) So far Sheldon Brown was the only one added that worries me. He got BURNT bad on the outside.

From what i have seen of hillis thusfar he will fit nicely in dabolls scheme mainly as a blocker and dump off guy he has good hands and seems like he can make YAC...as just a ball carrier i believe we already have better in harrison, vickers and davis but its to early to tell for sure..

Yeah he's not setup to be a playmaker, but I have a feeling he is a fighter and will make plays anyways...we still have one of the best special teams in the league and I think this year will be even better with the new hires onboard. I love having a solid hitter in Ward...we finally got our Ed Reed/Polomaulu type player, now we need to see if he's more than just a hitter. I noticed him involved in every play it seemed so he has good ball senses...

Why should a Broncos fan give a rats ass about tebow performing well?

I know what you are trying to say. And largely agree with you.

however I don't think the above quote really captured what you are intending. The answer is simple. A Bronco's fan wants Tebow to perform well, because if he does that means they have the QB of the future and it is likely their team is on the right track to perform well in the future.

Come on, really? I go with what Gipper said. I root for the name of the city, on the front of the jersey, and the colors, and not the name on the back! Did I like Lebron being on our team? Yes. But he is gone now, and he bitch slapped this city and it's fans on national tv (as if we don't get enough shit), and now we are starting to see what kind of douche he really is, that was covered up, or conveniently overlooked. The whole begging thing was petty, especially that damn "We Are Lebron" video. Hey if you think you're too good for us, then we don't need you! I'm glad the prick is gone!

Hillis is the 21st century version of Merril Hoge or Jim Jensen (if you don't have to Google Jim Jensen, congratulations, because you've officially reached middle age).

He's just a tough, hard-nosed football player that will do whatever it takes to help his team win that day. If he needs to catch five balls, he'll do it. If he needs to be a gunner on kick coverage, he'll do it, etc.

I'm not surprised he's here given what Mangini has professed over and over again about the type of player he wants on this team. Now he just has to go out and perform.

Archived